Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314
Current Page: 14 of 14
Re: Rolling Stones NO FILTER Tour Rehearsals - April 2018
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 15, 2018 04:38

The Sicilian
TornFrayedSue
HonkeyTonkFlash
Funny how clueless even we diehards can be sometimes. When Miss You came out, even though it became a big hit, I thought of it as a rather atypical novelty for the Stones. I actually thought after the 1978 tour they might forget about it. Silly me! smiling smiley

I am completely with you, disappointed when I first heard, far too disco for my taste, nut here we go, and they are still playing it .....

Rocker dudes hated the song. Chicks liked it, but that's no surprise. It really clashed with some of the heavier stuff on the album.

Lol...not where I'm from as it was the anthem of the summer of '78 with the entire album being the soundtrack. I never considered it disco in the traditional sense, but I suppose the bass line gives it that vibe.
Wondering what your "Rocker dudes" thought of Black and Blue? Hand of Fate and Crazy Mama are the only tunes that can be considered "rockers" - the rest is a hodgepodge/mish mash of different styles.
But I suppose I can relate to those "Rocker dudes" (lol) in a sense because when Emotional Rescue came out I couldn't believe the title track was actually from the Rolling Stones.
Still ranks as one of my least favorites, and when they mysteriously decided to play it live a few years ago it was the low point of any Stones shows I've seen.

Re: The Rolling Stones NO FILTER Tour Rehearsals - London April/May 2018
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 15, 2018 06:35

miss you is a genius blues track on a 4/4
on black and blue the funky stuff, springing from the fingerprint file kind, is the more lively, on a whole damn great album
imo

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 15, 2018 07:42

I've always liked Hot Stuff better than Miss You - probably the funky "rocker dude" in me. winking smiley
Hey Negrita is more of a funk/reggae hybrid - not one of their best tunes imo, although the riff from Ronnie is good. There's nothing else on there that can be considered "funky". Cherry Oh Baby is a poor reggae cover.
As a whole, I lean towards Some Girls, but Black and Blue does have some great tracks - Hot Stuff, Hand of Fate (best track on album), Crazy Mama, and maybe Memory Motel (especially the Keith vocal part) - the rest I can live without. Some Girls in the other hand is a fine album from start to finish with some tunes better than others, but I can't really pick out an absolute favorite of the bunch while at the same time can't really pick out a least favorite either. It's simply a solid album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 07:43 by Hairball.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 15, 2018 10:38

yes, it must be the funky dude in me winking smiley that makes me consider black and blue a "black" album as a whole and their best in that, and very tuned with the times. fool to cry could be the male voice on millie jackson caught up, memory motel is in a similar territory, melody is a different take on the blues tradition than they have taken before and after, hot stuff and hey negrita are funky tunes no matter the peculiar flavor each has, cherry oh babe I agree is the weakest track on the album but all of these give the record its name more than the rockers on it.

imo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 10:39 by maumau.

Date: May 15, 2018 10:44

Hairball
I've always liked Hot Stuff better than Miss You - probably the funky "rocker dude" in me. winking smiley
Hey Negrita is more of a funk/reggae hybrid - not one of their best tunes imo, although the riff from Ronnie is good. There's nothing else on there that can be considered "funky". Cherry Oh Baby is a poor reggae cover.
As a whole, I lean towards Some Girls, but Black and Blue does have some great tracks - Hot Stuff, Hand of Fate (best track on album), Crazy Mama, and maybe Memory Motel (especially the Keith vocal part) - the rest I can live without. Some Girls in the other hand is a fine album from start to finish with some tunes better than others, but I can't really pick out an absolute favorite of the bunch while at the same time can't really pick out a least favorite either. It's simply a solid album.

It has a caribbean feel to it indeed, but despite its funkiness it's still a pretty hard-rocking tune, with a pretty heavy bridge/middle eight. Come to think of it, it's one of very few Stones-tracks with two bridges (also counting the instrumental one) smiling smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 15, 2018 13:07

maumau
yes, it must be the funky dude in me winking smiley that makes me consider black and blue a "black" album as a whole and their best in that, and very tuned with the times. fool to cry could be the male voice on millie jackson caught up, memory motel is in a similar territory, melody is a different take on the blues tradition than they have taken before and after, hot stuff and hey negrita are funky tunes no matter the peculiar flavor each has, cherry oh babe I agree is the weakest track on the album but all of these give the record its name more than the rockers on it.

imo

In my opinion too, save I consider Cherry a great cover!

C

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 15, 2018 13:17

LOVE Cherryoh .... Keefs low-geared grind...

Chuck it on a party ... Gals adore it

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 16, 2018 01:07

Memories from The Rolling Stones rehearsals in London:

[stoneslife.org]

Bjornulf

Date: May 16, 2018 01:21

Cry To Me! Thanks, Bjørnulf! thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 16, 2018 01:23

DandelionPowderman
Cry To Me! Thanks, Bjørnulf! thumbs up

And I'm Free!

Thanks for the report, Bjornulf. Just asking: what does it mean the numbers written before the songs on those pieces of paper?

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: May 16, 2018 02:21

Black and Blue is a really good album.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 16, 2018 13:42

Thank you for sharing, bv! Reading your story makes me jealous and happy both at the same time.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 13:42 by marcovandereijk.

Date: May 16, 2018 14:59

Cristiano Radtke

Thanks for the report, Bjornulf. Just asking: what does it mean the numbers written before the songs on those pieces of paper?

The numbers are hh:mm but I took away the hh due to security reasons.

Bjornulf

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 16, 2018 15:33

bv
Memories from The Rolling Stones rehearsals in London:

[stoneslife.org]

Nice pics of the park, Bjornulf, glad you got good weather and all is well.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 16, 2018 15:46

maumau
miss you is a genius blues track on a 4/4
on black and blue the funky stuff, springing from the fingerprint file kind, is the more lively, on a whole damn great album
imo

Exactly.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 16, 2018 15:51

No rehearsal planned for today I guess

Posted by: rstass ()
Date: May 16, 2018 16:56

timbernardis
Nate
I hope they keep Street Fighting Man in the set list,it was an absolute beast last year.

Nate

Agree 300%. It was the best number at the Paris shows, I thought. It was just so intense and full of rebellion, all the reasons I ever loved the Stones came home to me with a VENGEANCE. And it had a nice touch -- Mick getting up on the back of Charlie's drum riser, standing behind him, and taking a drumstick and banging away on his cymbals. That happened at the second and third shows and I took pics of it.

plexi

I share your opinion too !

My favorite song is Brown Sugar (the Paris’76 version smiling smiley) but I was waiting on every show the Street Fighting Man song.
It was really the highlight of the show in 2017:

1. When Keith comes up with this hard riff at the start of the song: cool !
2. Charlie start this famous beats
3. Mick bend befor Keith (like he did it in the ’70) and start to sing
4. Then Ronnie and Keith look each other guitar playing befor the third verse, Mick see at Ronnnie, when can I start the third verse?: Ronnie says „one more”
5. aaand Mick start singing the „what can a poor boy do” after the third verse up one octave higher ! that was really liked me ! Never heard it before !
6. and yes I was in the pit on Paris II also when Mick went to Charlie – what is he doing there ?- said something to Charlie and start to banging away on his cymbals woow !! that was really cool !
7. only Bill’s playing in this song I miss a lot !!

I can’t wait the London 1 show !

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: May 16, 2018 19:22

I agree. Street Fighting Man is one of my favorite live songs.

By the way, I did not have received my ticket for Southampton (May, 29). I am stressed...

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 16, 2018 19:41

rstass
timbernardis
Nate
I hope they keep Street Fighting Man in the set list,it was an absolute beast last year.

Nate

Agree 300%. It was the best number at the Paris shows, I thought. It was just so intense and full of rebellion, all the reasons I ever loved the Stones came home to me with a VENGEANCE. And it had a nice touch -- Mick getting up on the back of Charlie's drum riser, standing behind him, and taking a drumstick and banging away on his cymbals. That happened at the second and third shows and I took pics of it.

plexi

I share your opinion too !

My favorite song is Brown Sugar (the Paris’76 version smiling smiley) but I was waiting on every show the Street Fighting Man song.
It was really the highlight of the show in 2017:

1. When Keith comes up with this hard riff at the start of the song: cool !
2. Charlie start this famous beats
3. Mick bend befor Keith (like he did it in the ’70) and start to sing
4. Then Ronnie and Keith look each other guitar playing befor the third verse, Mick see at Ronnnie, when can I start the third verse?: Ronnie says „one more”
5. aaand Mick start singing the „what can a poor boy do” after the third verse up one octave higher ! that was really liked me ! Never heard it before !
6. and yes I was in the pit on Paris II also when Mick went to Charlie – what is he doing there ?- said something to Charlie and start to banging away on his cymbals woow !! that was really cool !
7. only Bill’s playing in this song I miss a lot !!

I can’t wait the London 1 show !
thumbs upthumbs up>grinning smiley<

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: May 16, 2018 20:08

Merci Bjornulf
At the end of your report you put part of your notes.
I'm curious, after Mr D and before Heartbreaker which song for CAG ?

Date: May 16, 2018 21:43

marclaff
Merci Bjornulf
At the end of your report you put part of your notes.
I'm curious, after Mr D and before Heartbreaker which song for CAG ?

Can’t Always Get ...

Ps. MM is a problem these days after the Fonda days... That’s why I changed to M Motel...

Bjornulf

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 16, 2018 22:01

Ronnie: "Don't tell Charlie"
[twitter.com]
cool smiley

Posted by: Duked ()
Date: July 9, 2018 00:09

As now the tour is over... Can anyone please tell us what were the song(s)? they rehearsed of the Out of our heads album?

Bjornulf wrote this in May:
"They have been working hard on several songs out of "Out Of Our Heads" they normally don't play, this will be the highlight of the shows for me. I just hope they keep these songs in the set, it will bring back the mid 60's feeling of the very young Mr Richards on guitar, I just can't wait until next week to hear it."

Is there any recording of these? Someone mentioned here Mick's Instagram stories at that time...

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: July 9, 2018 00:33

Duked
As now the tour is over... Can anyone please tell us what were the song(s)? they rehearsed of the Out of our heads album?

Bjornulf wrote this in May:
"They have been working hard on several songs out of "Out Of Our Heads" they normally don't play, this will be the highlight of the shows for me. I just hope they keep these songs in the set, it will bring back the mid 60's feeling of the very young Mr Richards on guitar, I just can't wait until next week to hear it."

Is there any recording of these? Someone mentioned here Mick's Instagram stories at that time...

Hi Duked as this being my favourite album I would also love to know what was rehearsed or indeed a recording of the rehearsals - Would that not be more appealing to have session recordings rather than "from the vault" releases of well established predictable bootleg recordings?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 9, 2018 00:50

Duked

33 Cry to Me - [stoneslife.org]

(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction .... smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314
Current Page: 14 of 14

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home