Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 14
Re: Rolling Stones NO FILTER Tour Rehearsals - April 2018
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 30, 2018 00:47

slewan
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
Why do they rehearse three weeks after just half a year break and then play the same #$%/ as always? With two "new" songs not played in the last 25 years that will disappear after London.

UMT and Mr D didn't disappear after Hamburg..

right, but Play With Fire and Out Of Control did (the latter after the second show (Munich))

A shame Play With Fire disappeared as it's one of my favorite studio tunes, and while live it always seems to be lacking, thought it was a nice addition and should have been kept in the setlist.
Maybe they'll reignite it for No Filter pt.II.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 30, 2018 02:29

Why do they rehearse? Well if you are a musician, or an athlete, or any kind of person with quality and perfection in mind, you do know that you need to practice and rehearse, all the time, every week, every day, as much as you can. If not, then you will just ride into the sunset like fading stars.

Bjornulf

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 30, 2018 02:43

MelBelli
Rehearsals begin Monday in London.

May Day, mayday,
is Tuesday

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 30, 2018 02:44

They are in their mid-seventies as well. Gotta keep loose, refresh the mind, warm up vocal chords, etc. I'm about to turn 46 and playing my drums for more than an hour leaves my back aching, never mind standing upright with a telecaster around my neck. I sing three songs in a row and I start to go hoarse. While I understand the desire to see a fresh, unique set every tour, there is just no justification for complaints about what they play or don't play these days, imho. Maybe fifteen years ago, but not anymore.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 30, 2018 14:18

Its just great they are still performing. I love them for it and always will
Jeroen

Date: April 30, 2018 14:45

Exciting times!

A little taste of how it was from outside four years ago in Oslo..

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 30, 2018 16:13

bv
Why do they rehearse? Well if you are a musician, or an athlete, or any kind of person with quality and perfection in mind, you do know that you need to practice and rehearse, all the time, every week, every day, as much as you can. If not, then you will just ride into the sunset like fading stars.

Of course that's correct. But I just wonder why they rehearse maybe a dozen of very interesting songs during each rehearsal projects - and then they play almost none of them. In 1999 they rehearsed Gun Face, Jump On Top Of Me, Around And Around, Confessin' The Blues in Oakland and One Hit, Salt Of The Earth among others in Amsterdam. Only a few were once played - and only because they did a club show in London. That's pretty wired. They know from the beginning of the rehearsals that they won't play most of these songs. One exception was the Licks tour as a "theme-tour". Are they rehearsing those rarities just for fun. It's very sad that Jagger demands 14/15 warhorses in every show, because he fears not enough reaction from the audience. Why? Do more people buy tickets because they play only standards? I don't think so.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 30, 2018 17:13

Why do we even have a rehearsal thread at this point? It was fun back when people used to be able to congregate outside and hear what they were trying out different. Apparently no one gets that close anymore.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: April 30, 2018 17:17

HonkeyTonkFlash
Why do we even have a rehearsal thread at this point? It was fun back when people used to be able to congregate outside and hear what they were trying out different. Apparently no one gets that close anymore.

They choose rehearsal locations meanwhile where they are not disturbed all of the time. I can understand that. Unfortunately the times are over where there were recordings from some rehearsals.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: April 30, 2018 18:02

Miss Hang Fire .... Monsoon Ragoon

Date: April 30, 2018 18:24

mariano
Miss Hang Fire .... Monsoon Ragoon

Yeah, that was heavily rehearsed in 2005 (and also sometime in 1999), along with Harlem Shuffle. But they had enough (worse) new rockers at the time. And the only chance to get HS obviously is as replacement for TD - which they don't do, of course. Nevertheless the setlists of the 2005-07 were much more interesting than at least 2016/17, and IMHO they also played much better, despite Keith's problems at the time. Nowadays they sound unrehearsed after nearly two weeks of rehearsals (like 2017). Maybe that's why they start some days earlier this time around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-30 20:05 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: April 30, 2018 19:10

Rehearsals have started, see the photo on twitter/facebook: [twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-30 19:10 by spunky.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 30, 2018 19:17

Thanks, spunky.

Rehearsal time! #stonesnofilter

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 30, 2018 19:51

spunky

Looks similar to London 2014 - [www.iorr.org] - but it isn't ....

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: April 30, 2018 19:55

Is that a real piano?!!

Date: April 30, 2018 20:00

Large version of the Twitter picture.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 30, 2018 20:03

spunky

One of the comments under pic which speaks for many of us:

"We want new songs...new riffs...a new great Stones album with original stuff!! C'mon, we are waiting since 13 years"!!

thumbs up

Date: April 30, 2018 20:12

nonfilter
Is that a real piano?!!

The setup in the background is Chuck Leavell's usual rig.

Photograph by David Carlisle

Posted by: leftbank ()
Date: April 30, 2018 20:49

My ultimate fantasy is to be in the rehersal room a few days! Get the rare songs, band interactions and see how they get the rust off. Give me this over any regular concert.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: April 30, 2018 20:54

Paris?

28.April, Darryl:
"This is Hotel St. Germain in Paris. I stayed here the very first time I spent several days on my own in the city of lights. I happened to pass by recently and had to take a photo to commemorate the place I stayed when I first fell in love with this beautiful city. I love her still."

TE
Oslo

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 30, 2018 21:11

From the depart of "being careful what you wish for"...

Although I love seeing pictures of rehearsal spaces, set up, etc., I really wish I had never seen an iMac (or any other laptop/pc) as part of Matt's keyboard rig.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: April 30, 2018 21:15

TE
Paris?

Darryl's Facebook post is from a couple of days ago.

London has been cited as the location, and lrix's sleuthing seems to confirm that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-30 21:16 by bye bye johnny.

Date: April 30, 2018 21:20

TE
Paris?

The above Twitter-picture doesn't fit to the Paris rehearsal site 2012/2014 ....

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 30, 2018 22:55

mr_dja
From the depart of "being careful what you wish for"...

Although I love seeing pictures of rehearsal spaces, set up, etc., I really wish I had never seen an iMac (or any other laptop/pc) as part of Matt's keyboard rig.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Indeed and how about Mick having to constantly look at his iMac to remember the "lyrics" to "One More Shot" ? ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GJB ()
Date: May 1, 2018 01:18

So if they are in London, this set up and room doesn’t look like LH2 studios like they used before the first part of the no filter tour? So they are using a different place?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 1, 2018 01:24

Monsoon Ragoon
bv

Of course that's correct. But I just wonder why they rehearse maybe a dozen of very interesting songs during each rehearsal projects - and then they play almost none of them. In 1999 they rehearsed Gun Face, Jump On Top Of Me, Around And Around, Confessin' The Blues in Oakland and One Hit, Salt Of The Earth among others in Amsterdam. Only a few were once played - and only because they did a club show in London. That's pretty wired. They know from the beginning of the rehearsals that they won't play most of these songs. One exception was the Licks tour as a "theme-tour". Are they rehearsing those rarities just for fun. It's very sad that Jagger demands 14/15 warhorses in every show, because he fears not enough reaction from the audience. Why? Do more people buy tickets because they play only standards? I don't think so.

Yes. They rehearse rarities in order to try them out. Some times they work in studio i.e. at the rehearsals, then as they bring the song on to the crowd at the first show they think may be it did not work so they don't do it anymore. If you have been touring for 50+ years then you know what you like and you know what is safe. Then you have something extra in case there is a crowd that is ready for it. But most of the time 90% of the crowd do just want JJF and SFM and Miss You they don't want She's A Rainbow or Memory Motel unfortunately.

Bjornulf

Date: May 1, 2018 01:35

GJB

So they are using a different place?

Yep - and it's not the May 2014 place. While this one was in the north of London, it looks like they're now in the southwest of London ....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 1, 2018 06:53

HonkeyTonkFlash

U2 have been extremely quiet about their rehearsal location yet alone any leakage.

Date: May 1, 2018 08:20

bv
Monsoon Ragoon
bv

Yes. They rehearse rarities in order to try them out. Some times they work in studio i.e. at the rehearsals, then as they bring the song on to the crowd at the first show they think may be it did not work so they don't do it anymore. If you have been touring for 50+ years then you know what you like and you know what is safe. Then you have something extra in case there is a crowd that is ready for it. But most of the time 90% of the crowd do just want JJF and SFM and Miss You they don't want She's A Rainbow or Memory Motel unfortunately.

I can't imagine that Play With Fire in Hamburg or Lady Jane for instance didn't work. But they were thrown out immediately nevertheless. Like many others. On the other hand, Back Of My Hand and Infamy were played in stadiums. But these times are over. The "fantastic shows" are in fact a farce.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: May 1, 2018 08:22

GasLightStreet
HonkeyTonkFlash

U2 have been extremely quiet about their rehearsal location yet alone any leakage.

Completely untrue, we had detailed reports of every night of U2’s rehearsals (once they made it to production rehearsals, that is, obviously they spent some time in their studios playing together).

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 14

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1562
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home