Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Ronnie Lane
Date: April 19, 2018 16:47

I never quite see the Faces as OT - it feels like a family thing.
I don't know what it is exactly; the songs, the bittersweet story of his life and times, his creaky tenor; but I always get choked up when I listen to his songs.
Maybe it was the perfection of him assembling that travelling circus fiasco, and the stories of him becoming a farmer. Maybe it is the way the songs were recorded: outside with the animals and elements on tape. Maybe it is the band itself, accordion, banjos, acoustic guitars and harmonicas; British Country; all played by guys who seemed to be there because they believed in it.
Ultimately it is the songs. Ronnie Lane's songs all have something so melancholic about them.
"Abalone, you're so good, the way you shine for me, you set me free.."
"Hey Honey, I hold you way up too high for me.."
And of course "I wish I knew what I know now, when I was younger"

I love when writers say big things with very simple words. I can't stand overblown language. I can listen to so many of his songs "Kuschty Rye, Done This One Before, Tin & Tambourine, Flags & Banners, Annie, Barcelona.." always good.

Re: OT - Ronnie Lane
Date: April 19, 2018 17:02

Ronnie Lane was awesome, just fantastic. Heartfelt, melancholic, vulnerable and funny.

Love him to bits.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-19 17:04 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 19, 2018 17:43

RL - great songwriter

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 19, 2018 18:29

DandelionPowderman
Ronnie Lane was awesome, just fantastic. Heartfelt, melancholic, vulnerable and funny.

Love him to bits.

thumbs up Couldn't agree more.

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: April 20, 2018 02:40

Agreed. I loved him and Ronnie Wood together too. From the late to the early is such a beautiful track.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 20, 2018 03:13

This is a great compilation.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: April 20, 2018 23:59

Some artists are very easy to love. Ronnie's one of them. Beautiful.

Declan

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 21, 2018 23:19

Agreed DP, some great clips there of the lovely Ronnie Lane.

Multiple Scleroses is a horrible disease the took Ronnie from us in his prime, it unfortunately took my own father from me much too early too.

Date: April 21, 2018 23:24

Sorry to hear that, Riffie.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 21, 2018 23:34

Very sad, I was able to see him at the ARMS Benefit (Action into Research for Multiple Sclerosis) in L.A. '83 when he was brought out on stage for Goodnight rene at the end of the show - he was feeble, but all smiles and in good spirits joking around with everyone on stage.

Here's a clip of him and the rest performing Goodnight at the New York show:

Ron Lane, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Joe Cocker, Jeff Beck, Ron Wood & All - Final Song (ARMS,1983)

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 21, 2018 23:59

Love the Rough Mix album he did with Pete Townshend.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: April 22, 2018 00:11

Debris. Love it!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 22, 2018 02:10

Hairball
Very sad, I was able to see him at the ARMS Benefit (Action into Research for Multiple Sclerosis) in L.A. '83 when he was brought out on stage for Goodnight rene at the end of the show - he was feeble, but all smiles and in good spirits joking around with everyone on stage.

I was at that show and was in the minority that night, because I was an actual Ronnie Lan fan...not just a follower of Faces but someone who owned and loved his solo albums, Anymore For Anymore, Slim Chance, One For The Road, and his half of Rough Mix.

I used to tell people that I wanted "Just For A Moment" from Mahoney's Last Stand played at my funeral! So as much as I loved the entire show with Clapton, Beck, Page, Watts, Wyman, Jones, Cocker, etc., the main thing for me that night was Ronnie.

For a big chunk of the crowd, Lane was the object of the charity but not someone they were into musically. When they brought him out at the end like one of Jerry's Kids, there were people who weren't in a mood to listen.

He sang two songs at the LA show I went to. The first was "April Fool" from Rough Mix. (Lane was one--his birthday is April 1st!) As they quietly began it, I thought my head was going to explode! One of my favorite Lane songs!

That was quickly spoiled by sounds of these bros sitting behind me loudly talking to each other...for them the show was over and they were already recapping it.

We've all been to shows where there has been a bigmouth...but this was the worst for me. The rare chance to see Ronnie Lane...the unexpected performance of a favorite song...the entire perfect moment...spoiled.

I quickly turned around and made a motion to shush these guys, and immediately I could see they were startled by my actions, and as I made my argument for silence, they were making their case for being loud.

At the exact same time--I swear this is true--we both said the exact same thing: "Hey man, this is a CONCERT!"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 22, 2018 02:24

Debris ..... always brings tears to the heart .....

Hope one day I can write a song of that emotion for my own dad ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 22, 2018 12:33

Is there an authoritive biography waiting to be written?
Also a documentary film?
He deserves the recognition.

Date: April 22, 2018 13:12

[www.imdb.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-22 13:14 by dishevelmentblues.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 22, 2018 13:22

dishevelmentblues
[www.imdb.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Great! Thankyou very much.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 22, 2018 16:52

jlowe
dishevelmentblues
[www.imdb.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Great! Thankyou very much.
thumbs up

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 22, 2018 18:11

I was about to post a link to the wonderful BBC Four documentary, but I see it's already here. A terrific songwriter and musician, with quite an English twist to a lot of what he produced. One of London's finest, most definitely.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home