Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones Faces
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: April 19, 2018 02:13

Did Ron Wood went on tour with the Faces When he was already A Rolling Stone

Re: Stones Faces
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 19, 2018 03:02

Yes and no.

Wood toured the U.S. twice in 1975.

When he did so with the Stones, he was still a member of The Faces.

Wood officially became a Rolling Stone in February 1976.

The Faces announced their break-up in December 1975.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 19, 2018 03:33

The '75 Tour program listed Ronnie as a guest guitarist courtesy of Faces (I think it read "Rod Stewart & Faces" Maybe trying to stir it up?) and even included a publicity still of the entire band.

The print ads for Now Look, (which was released about the time TOTA '75 began) had the headline, "The Great Stone Face" which more famously was the nickname for Buster Keaton way back in the day. Actually, Bill's deadpan expressions often reminded me of Keaton, but the play on words was too obvious not to use for Ronnie at that moment, so why quibble?

As a Faces fan, I look back and still wish they had gotten Mick Ronson.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 19, 2018 09:07

This is the itinerary for Faces' American Tour of 1975.

February 11 Rochester. 12 Kalamazoo. 14 Detroit. 15 Washington DC. 16 Philadelphia.
18 Chicago. 20 Indianapolis. 21 Charleston. 22 Cincinnati. 24 NY. 25 rovidence. 26 New Haven.
March 02 San Francisco. 03 Los Angeles. 05 Los Angeles. 07 San Bernardino.
09 Phoenix. 12 Seattle. 13 Vancouver.

Stones-----June to August

August 15 West Palm Beach. 16 Tampa. 17 Atlanta. 19 Ashville. 20 Norfolk.
22 Roosevelt. 23 Cleveland. 24 Evansville. 26 St. Louis. 27 Memphis.
28 Oklahoma City. 30 Anaheim. 31 San Diego.
September 01 Fresno. 06 San José. 07 Sacramento. 10 Honolulu. 11 Honolulu.
13 Denver. 14 Albuquerque. 16 Tucson. 19 San Antonio. 20 Houston. 21 Ft. Worth.
23 New Orleans. 24 Atlanta. 26 Nashville. 27 Charlotte. 28 Roanoke. 30 Louisville.
October 03 Bloomington. 04 South Bend. 05 Dayton. 07 Toledo. 09 Pittsburgh.
10 Boston. 11 College Park. 12 Uniondale. 25 Detroit. 31 Honolulu.
November 01 Honolulu. ***Tokyo (cancelled)

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: April 19, 2018 10:36

The San Bernadino show was professionally recorded for King Biscuit Flower Hour and shared here recently on Hot Stuff: it shows Ronnie at his finest

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 19, 2018 11:22

loog droog

..."they", meaning: Stones or Faces (after Ronnie went 'Rolling')?
And in case you're talking about the Stones: I never knew Ronson ever was considered...?
Kinda makes me wonder how it would have sounded with him...

Date: April 19, 2018 13:22

loog droog
The '75 Tour program listed Ronnie as a guest guitarist courtesy of Faces (I think it read "Rod Stewart & Faces" Maybe trying to stir it up?) and even included a publicity still of the entire band.

The print ads for Now Look, (which was released about the time TOTA '75 began) had the headline, "The Great Stone Face" which more famously was the nickname for Buster Keaton way back in the day. Actually, Bill's deadpan expressions often reminded me of Keaton, but the play on words was too obvious not to use for Ronnie at that moment, so why quibble?

The Faces wouldn't have lasted much longer anyhow, and Ronno wouldn't have lasted long with The Stones..

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 19, 2018 15:41

Ron Wood was seen de facto as a Rolling Stones already during the early 75 tour (San Antonio photo shot). But he wasn't de jure until early 76 (time of BAB photo session).

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 19, 2018 16:19

I saw the Faces in Detroit on Valentines Day in '75 and the Stones in Cleveland the following June. I saw Zep in there somewhere too so it was a pretty good year but I digress. The Faces returned to the road with Jessie Ed Davis as a second guitarist. I imagine he was there to compensate for some of Ronnie's excesses such as the relentless shrieking, slide wank in which he'd engaged in when I saw them the previous winter. Detoit loved the Faces so two more shows were added that fall as well as one in Toledo just 45 minutes down the road.

I worked at a record store that sold tickets in Toledo and I'll never forget the Oct 7 Faces show being canceled at 3pm on the day it was supposed to play. No explanation was given but Toledo was known for selling poorly so it's possible The Faces didn't want to play to half a house. Be that as it may we spent the rest of the day fielding angry phone calls as people, rightly, wanted their money back. Unfortunately refunds were only available at the venue.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1513
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home