Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: Musically, I wish I knew more about The Doors and The Animals
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 27, 2018 12:08

Hmm, yeah, I saw Solvang. I wonder what Morrison thought. It didn`t look like he thought that much.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 29, 2018 07:00

Please Don´t Let Me Be Misunderstood- The Animals - Live on Ed Sullivan '65
[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 1, 2018 23:33

A thought: Abba dominated the mid and late 70s. Then, when the decade came to a close, the time was right for The Doors.

Date: May 2, 2018 04:02

noughties
A thought: Abba dominated the mid and late 70s. Then, when the decade came to a close, the time was right for The Doors.

huh? the doors dominated the late 60's

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 2, 2018 07:18

keefriffhard4life
noughties

I think that's a reference to the Doors comeback when they were used on the Apocalypse Now! soundtrack in '79, and then when Morrison was on the cover of Rolling Stone ("He's Hot. He's Sexy, and He's Dead") in '81 after the bio No One Here Gets Out Alive came out.

Date: May 2, 2018 13:12

Right. They were maybe even bigger in the early 80s than in the late 60s.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: May 2, 2018 13:42

noughties
Right. They were maybe even bigger in the early 80s than in the late 60s.

Absolutely. The way that I recall it is that The Doors were considered as a pretty good rock and roll band with an interesting sound in the late 60's...but nowhere near the legendary status that the '81 book gave them in the public consciousness.

Re: Musically, I wish I knew more about ....
Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: May 2, 2018 15:35

stonehearted

Their third album Waiting For The Sun (1968) is underrated, particularly with a lost nugget like Spanish Caravan, which shows the proficiency of Robbie Krieger with the acoustic guitar: [www.youtube.com]

I discovered The Doors at least a year before I "found" the Stones, back in the early 90´s. I was about 14-15 then and I LOVED the "Waiting for the sun" album which I found in my parents´ magnificent record collection. Especially Love street and the above mentioned Spanish Caravan. Such a brilliant song and album! Unknown soldier, Hello I love you, We could be so good together (a gem!) - even Not to touch the earth and its lyrics got to me. Their debut album is truly excellent, Strange days (ah...You´re lost litte girl and Unhappy girl. Wonderful!) and Morrison Hotel as well. For me, those four are their best records. The Doors is easily my favourite band, after the Stones of course.

Date: May 2, 2018 15:47

I got it now. yes the doors did make a big comeback in the 80's

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 3, 2018 05:49

Any discussion of Doors fans must include this hilarious clip from Kids In The Hall:
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-03 08:05 by loog droog.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 3, 2018 08:50

stonehearted

I consider American Prayer to be one the Doors finest releases. I often listen to it in its entirety. The live version of "Roadhouse Blues" is as good as it gets. Two songs that should always get live play on the radio are "Roadhouse Blues" and Led Zeppelin's "Rock n Roll." They rarely do. It's always a letdown to constantly hear the studio version.

American Prayer is a brilliant album cover to cover. Morrison's poetry/lyrics are magnificent and the music is a perfect match. A great listen.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: May 3, 2018 23:21

The Doors are one band even my wife and young daughters like listening to as they generally are not fans of some of my music.

I highly recommend the following official live releases if you can find them and like live shows.....

Live in Detroit 1970........... Jim is very mellow and dark in this concert but the performance is stellar. One of the best versions of "the End" I have heard. Sadly this is now OOP and getting expensive on the used market but worth the search for a reasonably priced copy.

[www.rhino.com]

Live in New York Felt Forum 1970- this is a 6CD box set with 4 complete shows from NYC. Jim is full of energy and in fine form but again this is OOP on CD so is very expensive. You can still get one of the shows on vinyl at a reasonable price and it sounds outstanding

[www.amazon.com]

Live at the Aquarius 1969 2- different CD sets of the first and second shows..........again these are OOP so are getting expensive but great performances as Jim is sober and full of energy.

[www.amazon.com]

They also recently released the complete 1968 Hollywood Bowl show which is excellent and still in print so not so expensive

[www.amazon.com]

Date: May 4, 2018 04:23

oldschool
The Doors are one band even my wife and young daughters like listening to as they generally are not fans of some of my music.

I highly recommend the following official live releases if you can find them and like live shows.....

Live in Detroit 1970........... Jim is very mellow and dark in this concert but the performance is stellar. One of the best versions of "the End" I have heard. Sadly this is now OOP and getting expensive on the used market but worth the search for a reasonably priced copy.

[www.rhino.com]

Live in New York Felt Forum 1970- this is a 6CD box set with 4 complete shows from NYC. Jim is full of energy and in fine form but again this is OOP on CD so is very expensive. You can still get one of the shows on vinyl at a reasonable price and it sounds outstanding

[www.amazon.com]

Live at the Aquarius 1969 2- different CD sets of the first and second shows..........again these are OOP so are getting expensive but great performances as Jim is sober and full of energy.

[www.amazon.com]

They also recently released the complete 1968 Hollywood Bowl show which is excellent and still in print so not so expensive

[www.amazon.com]

you don't recommend boston with drunk jim?

Date: May 4, 2018 04:58

keefriffhard4life
oldschool

[www.rhino.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Depends on what you prefer I guess. I enjoy all the official live releases, even the drunk Jim shows, but IMHO the ones I mentioned are the shows where I think Jim and the band are on top of their game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-04 05:00 by oldschool.

Date: May 4, 2018 05:10

oldschool
keefriffhard4life
oldschool

[www.rhino.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Depends on what you prefer I guess. I enjoy all the official live releases, even the drunk Jim shows, but IMHO the ones I mentioned are the shows where I think Jim and the band are on top of their game.

i think the vancouver release shows the band in top form too and probably pittsburgh

Date: May 4, 2018 05:26

They were excellent musicians, and writers, but to me the best part about the Doors is Jim's poetry/lyrics.

Date: May 4, 2018 05:39

keefriffhard4life
oldschool
keefriffhard4life
oldschool

[www.rhino.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

i think the vancouver release shows the band in top form too and probably pittsburgh

Excellent shows as well.

Date: May 5, 2018 00:39

From the top of my head: "The minister`s daughter is in love with the snake..."

I just passed a bar today while they were playing The Doors` Love Street. When I returned they played Nancy Sinatra`s How Does That Grab You? It sounded like they were having a 1968 celebration. After all, it was 50 years ago this year, right? It made me think of more songs from that Doors album. Not To Touch The Earth...,
-ah, Jim wanted to provoke... All the songs from that 3rd album were allegedly made up in the studio.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: May 5, 2018 00:53

loog droog
keefriffhard4life
noughties

I think that's a reference to the Doors comeback when they were used on the Apocalypse Now! soundtrack in '79, and then when Morrison was on the cover of Rolling Stone ("He's Hot. He's Sexy, and He's Dead") in '81 after the bio No One Here Gets Out Alive came out.

Also they released a Greatest Hits package that charted pretty high at the time...the one with the red triangle on the cover...got that the day I picked up Tattoo You...summer of 1981

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: May 5, 2018 01:00

oldschool

[www.rhino.com]

To me, this show is informed by the events that took place four days prior and 200 miles away at Kent State.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 5, 2018 02:38

Check out the Animals performance on the 1965 concert thread

Date: May 5, 2018 03:00

rattler2004
oldschool

[www.rhino.com]

To me, this show is informed by the events that took place four days prior and 200 miles away at Kent State.

Good call rattler, I never connected the two events together but this may have influenced Morrison's performance which is very subdued and dark, IMHO,but one of my favorites.

Date: May 6, 2018 16:51

Throwaways:

Horse Lattitudes, Not To Touch The Earth, My Wild Love, Easy Ride, The Soft Parade, Been Down So Long, Texas Radio And The Big Beat.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 6, 2018 19:36

stonehearted
The Doors are also great.

If you like their well-known material, you'll like their more obscure stuff -- it still has that highly adept and unique blend of musicianship.

Below are a few examples.

I Looked At You, a lean and snappy uptempo rocker showing the influence of the band Love on their sound, from their debut album: [www.youtube.com]

I Can't See Your Face In My Mind, the second to last track of their second (Strange Days) album, has all the elements of the best of The Doors sound, dark and avante garde, and yet still melodic and crooning: [www.youtube.com]

Their third album Waiting For The Sun (1968) is underrated, particularly with a lost nugget like Spanish Caravan, which shows the proficiency of Robbie Krieger with the acoustic guitar: [www.youtube.com]

During sessions for this album, they also did an instrumental cover of Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor: [www.youtube.com]

Equally underrated is their 1969 album The Soft Parade. Wishful Sinful was written by Robbie Krieger: [www.youtube.com]

Indian Summer appeared on their 1970 album Morrison Hotel, but was first recorded during sessions for their debut album -- this is the August 1966 recording: [www.youtube.com]

From L.A. Woman, the last album with Jim Morrison, Cars Hiss By My Window shows the groups propensity for pure blues, Los Angeles style: [www.youtube.com]

If you like these above selections, then you are ready to purchase the entire Doors catalog.

Also recommended, the 1978 Doors album An American Prayer (title track): [www.youtube.com]

The thing that's really interesting about this album is that it was strictly a bunch of recordings of Jim reading poetry. Bill Siddons got the group together and had them write music and mix it with the poetry. Ghost Ship is a great example of this. So in essence, it was new material released after Jim died. Then there was "Full Circle", the second album recorded without Jim, give it a listen, it has some great instrumentals. I interviewed Bill Siddons a few months ago, he had some funny stuff to say about Jim.

Posted by: WetWillie ()
Date: May 23, 2018 20:36

This BBC Animals release was recently posted on dimeadozen

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Loved the Animals.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: May 23, 2018 22:24

Yes I saw that too.

There was a more complete version from a bootleg called "The DeLuxe BBC Files" on Electric Ladyland, maybe it is still there, can't tell because of the annoying IPv6 problem...

Date: May 23, 2018 22:43

Rank Stranger
Yes I saw that too.

There was a more complete version from a bootleg called "The DeLuxe BBC Files" on Electric Ladyland, maybe it is still there, can't tell because of the annoying IPv6 problem...

I have that one also. This one does sound superior to my 69 year old eats. Worth the download for.me.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: May 24, 2018 12:48

Thanks; I see it is from that %$& Blaster guy;
are you aware that the also upped another Stones' BBC version a couple of weeks ago?

Date: May 24, 2018 22:26

Rank Stranger
Thanks; I see it is from that %$& Blaster guy;
are you aware that the also upped another Stones' BBC version a couple of weeks ago?

No, I did not see that. Is the link here on IORR or on dime or...?

Thanks in advance. I love the old stuff.

Tony

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2117
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home