Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Musically, I wish I knew more about The Doors and The Animals
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 20, 2018 17:59

Yes, The Doors are great summer music.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 20, 2018 18:04

Elmo Lewis
Yes, The Doors are great summer music.

We have over 20 degrees sunshine this week

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 20, 2018 18:17

I believe a good starting point for The Doors is the recent compilation The Singles (2017). Sure, you'll miss some epic songs and will get strange 2nd CD almost entirely post-Morrison, but it is great compilation overall. For best listening experience on CD you'll need to track old gold DCC pressings that are kind of pricey.

Regarding The Animals the starting point would be old EMI CD The Singles Plus [CDP 7 46605 2]. This one is easy to find cheap in the used bins in EU.

The Sicilian
I have all the Doors records in vinyl.
Even US mono pressing of Waiting For The Sun? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-20 19:03 by ironbelly.

Re: Musically, I wish I knew more about ....
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 20, 2018 19:13

marianna
35love
saltoftheearth
Musically, I wish I knew more about ....

the Mungo Jerry Blues Band,

a great overlooked band!

‘In The Summertime’ classic hit in the US.
My straight arrow, church going, math engineer Father’s fav song! Ha ha ha ha

They were an interesting-looking band, too.

-Do-do-dodo, do-do-dodo, Do-do-dodo, do-do-dodo, Do-do-dodo, do-do-dodo, Do-do-dodo, do-do-dodo... -Geddit? Ah, that berserk going singer and guitarist, -almost looking sexually aroused. I remember seeing it at the cinema. It was 1973, right? Make no mistake, this was not the Norwegian Woodstock...

Date: April 20, 2018 19:17

the doors are amazing. the unreleased "celebration of the lizard" is a scorcher

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: April 20, 2018 19:36

The Doors are one of the few bands that exist or existed, regardless of the date of inception or duration of existence, that fall into the same league as The Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-22 05:01 by Chacho.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 20, 2018 19:41

Chacho
The Doors are one of the few bands that exist or existed that fall into the same league as The Rolling Stones.

No.....I don't think so

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 20, 2018 20:31

BluzDude
Chacho
The Doors are one of the few bands that exist or existed that fall into the same league as The Rolling Stones.

No.....I don't think so[/quote

Yeah. By the time the Doors first album was released, the Stones were already legends.

Date: April 20, 2018 20:40

loog droog
BluzDude
Chacho

No.....I don't think so[/quote

Yeah. By the time the Doors first album was released, the Stones were already legends.

For me, the Doors first album was one of the great debut albums.....and it went slowly downhill from there

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 20, 2018 23:02

Their first and last albums w/Morrison are my personal favorites.
Some great tunes in between (along with some uneven stuff), but those two are the perfect bookends.
From Break on Through and Light My Fire to Riders on the Storm and L.A. Woman...greatness.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 20, 2018 23:59

I would like to echo the sentiments of some posters above regarding jazz.

Every now and again I encounter a sublime piece of music in the field of jazz, about which I know so little.

There are many other great pieces in that genre I've never heard.

I don't know, just lazy I guess.

In more recent times I acquired a CD comp that included all the instrumental hits of 1959, every single one that made the Billboard Hot 100 chart that year.

Among them was a piece called Like Young, with Andre Previn on piano. It made it only as high as #64 thereabouts. Not a big hit, but just a marvelous, inspired piece of music.

Like Young, by Andre Previn with David Rose and his orchestra: [www.youtube.com]

On the bright side, at least my general lazy indifference toward jazz means that at this advanced stage of life, it leaves open the possibility of further discoveries, where something hits you "like (you are) young".

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 21, 2018 01:07

...... considering most of the doors albums carry a
mood of gloom & darkness LA Woman is a great listen at a beer & BBQ day ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 21, 2018 01:21

Hairball
Some great tunes in between (along with some uneven stuff), but those two are the perfect bookends.
From Break on Through and Light My Fire to Riders on the Storm and L.A. Woman...greatness.

Spot on of course. Two masterpieces. Lots of good ones on the other albums.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 21, 2018 02:34

Hairball

This...but add Strange Days as well

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 21, 2018 02:35

Strange Days is their finest ....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 21, 2018 02:57

See everbody says that but I disagree. I like it but it’s not as good as the first or the last. Why do you guys prefer Strange days?

Date: April 21, 2018 04:25

Redhotcarpet
See everbody says that but I disagree. I like it but it’s not as good as the first or the last. Why do you guys prefer Strange days?

To me their first is their best, that being said, my favorite song by the Doors is When the Musics Over.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 21, 2018 05:49

Fun fact:

Most of Strange Days consists of outtakes from the first album, that is, songs that were written around the same time.

Demos of My Eyes Have Seen You and Moonlight Drive date back to 1965 -- in that same recording session (September 2, 1965 at World Pacific Jazz Studios in Los Angeles, CA), they also demoed 2 songs that would be on their third album, Summer's Almost Gone and Hello I Love You, the latter of which would be a #1 national U.S. hit.

Two recordings exist of Moonlight Drive from the 1966 sessions for the first album.

So, Strange Days -- not bad for an album of mostly leftovers.

Date: April 21, 2018 14:51

LA Woman is uneven, imo, thus Morrison Hotel would be the other bookend to the first one.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 21, 2018 15:00

At the time - early 80's - I get to know The Doors they had a kind of cool image for certain hispsters of the day - the sort of a counter voice for or teh flip side of the happy, shining, over positive vibes of the mainstream at the time - the people dressed in black, going 'alternative' later and so on. The coolest chicks of the day would be found among those circles...grinning smiley

For them The Doors and Jim Morrison sounded perfect - so dark and mysterious, deep and 'forever young', that is, ageless. The Stones were seemingly way too popular and obvious, way too 'Stones', and besides they were still around and looked damn old... The Beatles belonged to the rank of Abba, no 'cool' people listened to them (except secretly). Dylan's credibility was lost in the Christianity, and it was damn difficult to take him seriously any longer. Hendrix was something for guitar nerds only. The 'always trying to be hip' rock media echoed the sentiment. I recall reading in the leading magazine of that sort in Finland stating that 'of any big and revolutionary names of the 60's, the music of The Doors has survived the test of time best'. The coolness of The Velvet Underground was already noticed during the late 70's punk era, so by the 80's they started to be old news. I think the 1980 relaese of Hopkins/Sugarman biography NO ONE HERE GETS ALIVE (Finnish translation 1981) also had a huge role for positive Morrison reception at the time.

I guess the Oliver Stone movie made The Doors more mainstreamingly popular for a moment, but it was also a kind of Pyrrho's win: after the sudden popularity the sort of underground appeal and mystery was gone. After that they were just another band from the classic era of rock - suitable nostalgia material for UNCUT and MOJO readers. I think The Doors have even strangely disappeared from the sight during the last two decades - or at least doesn't have any longer that special aura to stand-out from their contemporaries they once had. Probably the romantic image of Morrison of such a druggie genius poet hasn't actually dated so well, or being so 'cool' as it once was seen.

Me? I liked much the Doors back in the 80's, purchased all their records, but I need to admit: I have not listened to them much since then (so I guess I am one of those snobbish elitists of the 80's whose interest Oliver Stone and Val Kilmer killed haha... or, now to think of it, probably I haven't have a girl friend crazy for Jimbo since then who 'forces' me to listen them...winking smiley)

My favourite album is - also - their first one, but I have also fond feelings for SOFT PARADE, which usually is mocked by Doors people, and I like MORRISON HOTEL especially just for incredible "Roadhouse Blues". Here is a funny version through which I get to know the song in the first place - made by a Finnish punk (then) band Eppu Normaali: [www.youtube.com]

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-21 15:29 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: April 21, 2018 15:24

stonehearted
The Animals are great.

Like the Stones, their first album is covers -- John Lee Hooker, Fats Domino, some Chuck Berry, etc.

They are of course primarily known for their mid-60s (classic) lineup, but did you know...

...that the 1968 incarnation of the band had Andy Summers on guitar, a decade before he joined the Police?

Their 1968 album Love Is is a masterpiece.

Yes it is.
If only some good live tapes from this lineup were around...

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 21, 2018 15:57

Spanish Caravan is another favorite Doors song of mine, opening with the flamenco guitar and then electric with a fuzz, there’s a great live clip with Jim standing like in trance.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 21, 2018 16:36

Always loved the "Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine" Compilation

Side 1:
Break On Through
Strange Days
Shaman's Blues
Love Street
Peace Frog / Blue Sunday
The Wasp (Texas Radio & The Big Beat)
End Of The Night

Side 2:
Love Her Madly
Spanish Caravan
Ship Of Fools
The Spy
The End

Side 3:
Take It As It Comes
Running Blue
L.A. Woman
Five To One
Who Scared You
(You Need Meat) Don't Go No Further

Side 4:
Riders On The Storm
Maggie McGill
Horse Latitudes
When The Music's Over

Date: April 21, 2018 21:32

2000 LYFH
Always loved the "Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine" Compilation

Yes that's a good one thumbs up. I bought the double vinyl when in High school around '78, and practically wore out the grooves - still have it!

Date: April 21, 2018 22:58

Doxa
At the time - early 80's - I get to know The Doors they had a kind of cool image for certain hispsters of the day - the sort of a counter voice for or teh flip side of the happy, shining, over positive vibes of the mainstream at the time - the people dressed in black, going 'alternative' later and so on. The coolest chicks of the day would be found among those circles...grinning smiley

I recall reading in the leading magazine of that sort in Finland stating that 'of any big and revolutionary names of the 60's, the music of The Doors has survived the test of time best'. The coolness of The Velvet Underground was already noticed during the late 70's punk era, so by the 80's they started to be old news. I think the 1980 relaese of Hopkins/Sugarman biography NO ONE HERE GETS ALIVE (Finnish translation 1981) also had a huge role for positive Morrison reception at the time.

After that they were just another band from the classic era of rock - suitable nostalgia material for UNCUT and MOJO readers. I think The Doors have even strangely disappeared from the sight during the last two decades - or at least doesn't have any longer that special aura to stand-out from their contemporaries they once had. Probably the romantic image of Morrison of such a druggie genius poet hasn't actually dated so well, or being so 'cool' as it once was seen.

Me? I liked much the Doors back in the 80's, purchased all their records, but I need to admit: I have not listened to them much since then (so I guess I am one of those snobbish elitists of the 80's whose interest Oliver Stone and Val Kilmer killed haha... or, now to think of it, probably I haven't have a girl friend crazy for Jimbo since then who 'forces' me to listen them...winking smiley)

- Doxa

- Well, well, well, Ive read your stuff on The Doors before, Doxa. Fersure the band stroke a chord in the Finnish psyche, a Norwegian would think. I was too old for punk, so that didn`t introduce me to the band. As you have pointed out, you can`t milk this band forever. The coolness disappears. They were a short-lived band with only 6 studio albums. I think nobody cares about them today.

Date: April 21, 2018 23:18

Veering a bit OT (but not really), then there were the first four albums by L.A. punk band X (Los Angeles, Wild Gift,Under the Big Black Sun, and Ain't Love Grand ) which were produced by Ray Manzarek who also added played keyboards on the first album. Living and growing up in Santa Monica (and Venice), the Doors were always huge, and when punk came to the forefront in the late '70's, X were the new local heroes to those of us who embraced the punk sound. I have their first two albums (and a dollar bill) signed after meeting them at the long gone Off the Record store during a record signing for release of their second album, and saw them many times in the following years - first time at Santa Monica Civic c.1980, and the last tome just a couple of years ago at Club Nokia.

While Ray's keyboards are all over the first album, this one probably showcases his keyboards most prominently w/ a major solo towards the end.:
X -The World's A Mess; It's In My Kiss

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: April 22, 2018 00:10

As a great fan of The Doors I recommend:

Live

[youtu.be]

(especially The End)

[youtu.be]

(the best version the Celebration of the Lizard. Jim was absolutely stunning that night)

[www.youtube.com]

(Jim was in high spirits that night too. And this version, imo, is best than the studio one. John Sebastian plays the harmonica, Ray is in the guitar and Robby on bass.)

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]
(Compare with Morrison's Hotel version.)

[www.youtube.com]
(And the final goodbye)

There are many more live, official and non-official like Hawai 70, Matrix (the master tapes is been released in a very slow fashion, but for collectors there was a recent release: [www.discogs.com] ) ; Felt Forum, Aquarius Theatre, Philadelphia, etc.

As for studio... Strange Days was a great album. They completely nailed in tracks like Unhappy Girl, Moonlight Drive or Strange Days.

The debut album dismisses presentations. One of the best debuts ever.

Waiting For The Sun had one of the most subversive songs in Rock'N'Roll history (Five to One) and another couple of good tracks, but had that third album syndrome.

The Soft Parade was almost destroyed by Jim's drunkenness and Ray's orchestra. Yet, Wistful Sinful, Shaman Blues or The Soft Parade are good ones. And especially a outtake called Who Scared You: [www.youtube.com]

Morrison Hotel was the "back to the basics" example. My favourite track of that record is Maggie McGill. The Spy is also very good.

LA Woman is highly praised, but it is my less favourite. Paul Rothschild, earlier producer of The Doors, called that "cocktail music". I have to agree. Nevertheless, i like, apart of the classics LA Woman and Riders, Texas Radio and The Changeling.

Maybe some studio outtakes like Universal Mind or Someday Soon will see the light of the day, but I do not see great pearls in studio.

As for live, there are some hopes. There are great shows of the Doors that maybe were recorded... like the Filmore East in 68... who knows more...

Date: April 22, 2018 00:25

stonehearted
Fun fact:

Most of Strange Days consists of outtakes from the first album, that is, songs that were written around the same time.

Demos of My Eyes Have Seen You and Moonlight Drive date back to 1965 -- in that same recording session (September 2, 1965 at World Pacific Jazz Studios in Los Angeles, CA), they also demoed 2 songs that would be on their third album, Summer's Almost Gone and Hello I Love You, the latter of which would be a #1 national U.S. hit.

Two recordings exist of Moonlight Drive from the 1966 sessions for the first album.

Yup. But is it better ? Many fans think so.

Date: April 22, 2018 00:30

Morrison Hotel is great. Spy is fantastic, maggie and Ship are favourites of mine. LA Womanis still better. It is a bit stiff in production but i love that album. Too short perhaps. More a collection of songs, fillers maybe, to Changeling, Love her madly, LA, Riders and Cars. Maybe Morfison Hotel and Strange are bigger albums. And the debut. Perfect presentation of the Lizard.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 22, 2018 01:36

Redhotcarpet
stonehearted
Fun fact:

Yup. But is it better ? Many fans think so.

Check out The Album Club podcast Episode 48...great info on the band, the recording of the debut, Rothchild’s influence etc...Strange Days was released 9 months after their debut and was comprised of songs that they were (mostly) already performing before they were signed. The song selection for the debut, according to the podcast, had more to do with how thin they sounded in the studio. I’ve been listening to this band for 40 years and never noticed the copious use of reverb on Morrison’s vocals.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1639
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home