Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Musically, I wish I knew more about The Doors and The Animals
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 18, 2018 17:48

Musically, I wish I knew more about .... The Doors and The Animals. Familiar with the well known stuff but think there is some deep treasure there.

Please advise about these two adn share yours!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-19 20:53 by bv.

Re: Musically, I wish I knew more about ....
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 19, 2018 00:42

love the doors, know the familiar stuff, not so sure about the obscure tracks, most of what ive heard ranges from good to brilliant, maybe they didnt last long enough to become higher up the ranks of popularity, but some of their songs are amazing.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 19, 2018 01:16

Grab yaself a copy of the recently reissued Strange Days---MONO/Stereo ....

Worth it for the mono-disc ... Your Lost Little Girl ... S.A.G ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 19, 2018 01:49

woops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-21 05:06 by latebloomer.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 19, 2018 03:24

The Animals are great.

Like the Stones, their first album is covers -- John Lee Hooker, Fats Domino, some Chuck Berry, etc.

They are of course primarily known for their mid-60s (classic) lineup, but did you know...

...that the 1968 incarnation of the band had Andy Summers on guitar, a decade before he joined the Police?

Their 1968 album Love Is is a masterpiece.

Have a listen to the tasty extended jam of the Traffic number Coloured Rain: [www.youtube.com]

Madman Running Through the Fields was co-written by Andy Summers: [www.youtube.com]

Eric Burdon makes this song by Johnny Cash (Ring of Fire) uniquely his own: [www.youtube.com]

Here's one of the highlights of the 1977 reunion of the original mid-60s lineup (It's All Over Now, Baby Blue): [www.youtube.com]

Below, cover for the 1977 album Before We Were So Rudely Interrupted:

Date: April 19, 2018 03:45

Thanks.

I also need to mention Small Faces.

I have all (well, most ) of the Rod/Ronnie stuff, but don't know much about the SF.

Also, who's on your list?

Date: April 19, 2018 03:58

The Doors are also great.

If you like their well-known material, you'll like their more obscure stuff -- it still has that highly adept and unique blend of musicianship.

Below are a few examples.

I Looked At You, a lean and snappy uptempo rocker showing the influence of the band Love on their sound, from their debut album: [www.youtube.com]

I Can't See Your Face In My Mind, the second to last track of their second (Strange Days) album, has all the elements of the best of The Doors sound, dark and avante garde, and yet still melodic and crooning: [www.youtube.com]

Their third album Waiting For The Sun (1968) is underrated, particularly with a lost nugget like Spanish Caravan, which shows the proficiency of Robbie Krieger with the acoustic guitar: [www.youtube.com]

During sessions for this album, they also did an instrumental cover of Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor: [www.youtube.com]

Equally underrated is their 1969 album The Soft Parade. Wishful Sinful was written by Robbie Krieger: [www.youtube.com]

Indian Summer appeared on their 1970 album Morrison Hotel, but was first recorded during sessions for their debut album -- this is the August 1966 recording: [www.youtube.com]

From L.A. Woman, the last album with Jim Morrison, Cars Hiss By My Window shows the groups propensity for pure blues, Los Angeles style: [www.youtube.com]

If you like these above selections, then you are ready to purchase the entire Doors catalog.

Also recommended, the 1978 Doors album An American Prayer (title track): [www.youtube.com]

Date: April 19, 2018 04:08

Elmo Lewis
I also need to mention Small Faces.

There's a great 36-track compilation you can start with: Hits, Misses, Thrashers & Crashers.

More soulful than you'd think, like Steve Marriott's impassioned take of Every Little Bit Hurts: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 19, 2018 04:23

stonehearted
The Animals are great.

They are great indeed! thumbs up

By any chance, do you know anything about this recording from the Eric Burdon Band? I first heard this version almost 30 years ago on the radio and I was amazed at how good it was. Thankfully, I recorded that on a cassette tape which was played to death. This is probably my favorite version of House of The Rising Sun, but I couldn't find any info about it.

The Eric Burdon Band - House of the Rising Sun

Date: April 19, 2018 04:58

Cristiano Radtke
stonehearted
The Animals are great.

By any chance, do you know anything about this recording from the Eric Burdon Band? I first heard this version almost 30 years ago on the radio and I was amazed at how good it was. Thankfully, I recorded that on a cassette tape which was played to death. This is probably my favorite version of House of The Rising Sun, but I couldn't find any info about it.

The Eric Burdon Band - House of the Rising Sun

Oh, yes indeed! That amazing mid-70s collection I used to have in high school on vinyl (in the 80s) and now have on CD (Rhino/Avenue Records), all 15 tracks worth.

These were produced by Jerry Goldstein for The Eric Burdon Band in the early 70s and released in 1974 and 1975.

The collection is titled Eric Burdon Sings the Animals Greatest Hits.

But not just the Animals.

Paint It Black: [www.youtube.com]

This band really cooks in these sessions.

When I Was Young: [www.youtube.com]

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood is slowed down and the guitar muscle pumped up: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 19, 2018 05:45

GRRReat, stonehearted! Thank you very much! smileys with beer

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 19, 2018 06:28

Jazz. It's only been the last five years or so that I've really gotten into it.
My wife and I went to the Monterey Jazz Festival last year and the time of our lives. I'm just sorry I never paid more attention to the genre years earlier.
Better late than never.

Date: April 19, 2018 07:41

latebloomer
Björk

Read an excerpt not long ago from Bill Hayes's book Insomniac City in which he relates the story of Bjork's friendship with Oliver Sacks. Always had a fascination with Sacks' work every since I read An Anthropologist on Mars. So I started listening recently to Björk. Fearless woman with strange ideas...smiling smiley

Debut is excellent thumbs up

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: April 19, 2018 10:12

Musically, I wish I knew more about ....

the Mungo Jerry Blues Band,

a great overlooked band!

Date: April 19, 2018 10:14

Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed back ......

ROCKMAN

Date: April 19, 2018 10:27

saltoftheearth

a great overlooked band!

I thought they were called Mungo Jerry only?

They were huge over here in the early 70s.

Here's a festival clip from Oslo in 1973:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 19, 2018 14:58

tomk
Jazz. It's only been the last five years or so that I've really gotten into it.
My wife and I went to the Monterey Jazz Festival last year and the time of our lives. I'm just sorry I never paid more attention to the genre years earlier.
Better late than never.

Yes, I enjoy jazz, vut know VERY little about it. I have "A Love Supreme" and a few others, but basically a jazz illiterate. Starting points?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: April 19, 2018 16:25

I think that is a very clever topic. That is very much what I started doing years ago: to actively dig into artist's catalogs. I have gazillions of albums; and many of them are not necessarily of someone that I love, but it could be a name I have seen many times but not been interested in. Like Moody Blues just as a wild example. and often I will realize - yes I was right in not showing any interest.

But where I feel I have missed out is Miles Davis. And I started listening to him a LOT. Learned about him, and see his very different eras. But I honestly know that he is a lifer. this is someone who you listen to for a lifetime, and most likely never understand wholly.

And Rockman - and I don't really mean it as a joke. He's seems to have a great ear; and I think he roams in an era I don't go too often.
I like really current stuff, trying on the Be Bop, and then I know 1700 - 1890 pretty well.

Date: April 19, 2018 16:32

I am currently on a Sam Cooke, Muscle Shoals, and Stax kick.

Also, I listen to Little Steven's Underground Garage a lot. Lots of cool, weird stuff I had never heard before. And yesterday I heard "Connection", "Salt Of The Earth", a "If You Can't Rock Me" on there.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 19, 2018 16:35

saltoftheearth

a great overlooked band!

‘In The Summertime’ classic hit in the US.
My straight arrow, church going, math engineer Father’s fav song! Ha ha ha ha

Date: April 19, 2018 16:36

Elmo Lewis

Yes, I enjoy jazz, vut know VERY little about it. I have "A Love Supreme" and a few others, but basically a jazz illiterate. Starting points?

For every Jazz player the scale below and its related scales is the basic key to create a Jazzy sound, and it's a challenge and a source of inspiration that can last a lifetime:

Minor Melodic.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 19, 2018 16:48

To answer the question,
I don’t have more musicians music wishes.
With Spotify, utube, WiFi Wikipedia
everything’s available to learn.
I also know a lot already, and stick with what I like.
Having said that,
if I lived alone, I’d have classical music playing in my background throughout my house.

Re: OT: Musically, I wish I knew more about The Doors and The Animals
Date: April 19, 2018 23:26

And Rockman - and I don't really mean it as a joke. He's seems to have a great ear;

AND REAR ........ plus love and laugh I say .... and I comb my hair with an egg-beater .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 19, 2018 23:36

stonehearted
Cristiano Radtke
stonehearted
The Animals are great.

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood is slowed down and the guitar muscle pumped up: [www.youtube.com]

That is a great version! Now, or for the past 25 years or so, he performs it Reggae style.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: April 20, 2018 00:37

35love
saltoftheearth

a great overlooked band!

‘In The Summertime’ classic hit in the US.
My straight arrow, church going, math engineer Father’s fav song! Ha ha ha ha

They were an interesting-looking band, too.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: April 20, 2018 01:01

I have all the Doors records in vinyl.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 20, 2018 03:28

Honestly, it's because of the Doors that I got into rock music (yes, before I had really even discovered the greatness of the Stones). They are both a highly underrated AND overrated band, IMO. The shadow of Jim Morrison looms so largely, it obscures the legacy of three damned fine musicians. They were also ahead of their time. Very few acts were willing to be as dark as they were in that period (yes, the Stones had Paint It Black, but that sounds like a nursery rhyme compared to the bleakness of the Doors' The End).

Top recommended listening: their first, second, fifth and sixth studio albums. Each pair feels like a perfect companion piece to the other. While the first 2 were more about avant-garde and Los Angeles culture, the final two were full-on gritty, bluesy Americana albums. And if you have Spotify, there are TONS of great live releases on there.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 20, 2018 07:31

The Doors 40th anniversary mixes have quite a few outtakes as bonus material these are modern mixes of their studio albums the first album has the unedited versions of ''The End'' and ''Break On Through'' during the 2000's the doors released limited edition unreleased concerts through Rhino records and their Bright Midnight label. the best of these was the
Live at the matrix 1967,
Live in Detroit 1970,
Live at the Aquarius Theater 1969 shows
Pittsburg 1970
Philadelphia 1070
Live in NY 1970 shows.

mostly everything else has Morrison in various drunken stages. there's also bootlegs out there like
Rock is Dead(1969 studio recording)
Stockholm 1968
Seattle 1970
Bakersfield 1970
Miami 1969
The lost Paris Tapes

just to name a few

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 20, 2018 09:20

The Animals were an Invasion band; in '64 I think; Ed Sullian had the best UK bands week after week after The Beatles performances were rating so high. They scored 3 Sullivan shows in a row when they first arrived.
The Animals were a little after that. I was 12 at the time and really into
rock like nothing else in life; just like now. in my sixties past half way.

So I'm not a prude about my tastes; I'm sure Eric's work in the "Spill The Wine" days version of Animals was fun too, but those first two albums is what I personally consider The Animals. Fromk my perspective that's all ya need smiling smiley
Alan Price would soon leave; You can see him with Bob all over the Don't Look Back documentary film, by Pennebaker. I think.

Now I didn't really get "Maudie" till 16, even tho it was in the collection with Meet The Beatles, possibly cusping on American release of The Beatles 2nd Album album. lol...which ripped the head off of Long Tall Sally but that's another thread...
...i think because it's more mature rhythm and blues; I had to grow into it a bit. The Stones pulled that off bigtime in their own way. "Maudie" was earth-shaking for me when I 'got' it.
John Lee Hooker had released it only the previous year; it was hot stuff and the bande was hot. The bass player would bail early, become a manager, and take care of Jimi's career debuts, and did it pretty brilliantly; grabbing Jimi showed insight and awareness of the r&b scene in America at the time; and not the top level known guys.......

so it's a matter of taste; i don't really know much about Manchester, but alwaqys particularly intersted in UK cities and towns.
I know Eric kept touring USA, even medium sized bars w cool staqes, w many versions; ala oldies versions; and was always really gifted and powerful. He was close with Jimi as well; and tells tales of their adventures. I loved those first two albums; but sorry don't know much about them.....

Doors came later; I was around 16 into 17; it was '67 when I first heard them; POW
and I live in the town, right by where he variously lived; and where Robbie was born; and has the Key to the City. and is still making music. He made an album with Tommy Mars, keyboard player and pianist of Frank Zappa band; and for very many years w Frank. I bet it's 'out there' and i hope to get that album.
Tho i was on still on the East Coast a dozen years after they broke up.

The Doors were IT. that was it. close the shop. we're all done.
the doors of perception to anoher dimension was correcto.
Whoa again! watch those FIRST TWO ALBUMS.
for me, the rest of it, is the rest of it, if you know what I mean,
and with stunning highlights well worth the time imo. and DURABLE timeless.
imo.
despite the mystery and (many times awful imo) poetry of Jimwinking smiley tho i dug it when i was a teen, man.
....i like that live vid of Hollywood Bowl; I think the Stones were checking them out live at the time too; not at that show I don't think,,...

....and I'm sure Mick was fasincated, appreciative and influenced to some extent; Mick's a vacuum if some aspect of music or performance turns people on....
........there's a picture of Jim on Turner's wall. (Memo for Turner film)
...i always got a huge kick out of that. I think Mick's on the bed shirtless playing guitar somewhere ; and Jim's on the wall in a picture or painting...

The Doors still knock me out. Whoa that first album. can't even speak about it too much; (haha) cause it's it's own animal and thing; and frankly, it's impossible.
take a flamenco guitarist, a jazz drummer, classical pianist/organist playing a basss keyboard with his left hand (and the BEST studio bass player on recordings)....listen this already impossible before adding a young college drop out who liked write poetry, drink alcohol and take psychedilic substances...
i mean how dare he? I'm pretty sure they had p.o.t. but did not see it myself.
i met ray once and robbie twice. ray was very senstive and inteligent and sweet-hearted. He produced X album; the first one.
It took me a long to stand it; now i love X.

....add a bluesy singer with very dramatic flair; during war time; his dad
was an Admiral; he has the dramarama; but I think he was intelligent; and pushed away hard from the pop star thing;
he grew an unmanicured long beard; and got a bit fat; and he was the leather pants icon of perfection in the "ight me fire' days; (which robbie wrote, not Jim) ....
but his sound is unique; his passion was into Absurd Theatre;
i think he had a really beautiful voice.....i like a whole lot of their catalog.......i was sorry to see them go belive me; i wanted more and more Doors for sure and certain, i felt that loss and i feel that loss right now. jim morrision is all over this town; but its here bounced to Norway and thru Europoe where I think people really get it.....

jim liked provoking things a mite; all that drama; but aside from the horrid movie,...
(i like the live Hollywood Bowl video performance because at a real dramatic moment, when he's woven his spell and there's a great hush;
he burps directly into the mike and laughs; not even drunk; just having fun with the home team; and maybe a little human after all; as he laughed and the crowd laughed; and for a second it was just the guys in venice who put together this weird band and there are all there friends...see that before Val Kilmer; thowe all owe him a fortune for what he did with Doc Holliday in that Wyatt Earp movie, that still stuns me....

Jim is kind of a character like that; he'll provoke you and dare you...
as a kid; and even now; i appreciate the jungian, Fruedian, Shakepearean flamenco performance art, whatever the hell it is.
" When The Music's Over" somehow meant everything to me all at once, it was a heavy experience, he took me all the way 'there' into metaphysical territory with a pop record..
'virgin lights babe...see the light babe....save us...jesus..........'
sometimes a stunner...i still recall from heart.

when the still sea conspires in armour....
....true sailing is dead................
.......that Horse Latitudes thing. Jim was colorful and creative and strong-willed, everything you don't want in a best selling pop artist...

..frued's tapping his toe in his grave.
there are so many good ones i could easily go track by track with them, thank u for bringing it up; I have periods where I go thru all those Door videos they put together themselves; into film; long before MTV came and went.
he was sold as a pop star with great success by one of his girl friens whoran the top teen maganzine. i used to get each issue at the time; and he was a pin up boy from the start; i think he really physicallyrejected that in short order.t

they were the second rock signing ever at Elektra Records; known mostly for folk singer Judy Collins at the time I think.
The first was Love w Artuhur Lee. !!!
(who used Jimi on a track; and Jimi was friends with Eric.
and we're all six degrees from Kevin Bacon noweye rolling smiley

I don't really dig or relate too much at all to the iconography any more; but thats becasuse, even tho he's Floridian; he came here young, hungry, reckless, beautiful, open...intelligent; at first to study film i think; thus those early self-made videos for Unknown Soldier, and the like. He pissed a LOT of people off because he virulently anti-war, during war-time; and that was a mess for everybody on all sides; division was promoted and it was a mess often; he paid a lot of dues for things artists get away with now at Mcdonalds.........
e opened a lot of Doors.......the quote from a greater poet; but he nailed it beautifully in his own ways, they have his couplets etched in stone at the town squares,. and things could be worse than that. but when i hear Moonlight Ride or something like that swooping around; from a later album i think; well it's magic for me. I love both these bands. Animals were oneof my tippest top faves; i was with them bigtime; but they fell apart early on; and i guess i'm picky; or they cvhangefd producers perhaps. but i could feel a bit of change; and felt Kinks Stones Who Beatles VAn Morrison the clear champs when the dust was over.....tho there are very many UK bands I adfore and still follow....mott for example; i love tons of UK rock and roll. I think that night the Stones saw the Doors is very interesting. The Doors are one of the most important and wonderfully poweful things about the rock and roll era. The Doors will live forever. Jim's army is still growing larger and younger as it grows older and dies off. jim pulled it off. Jim was looking really healthy and happy in Paris., all the pictures fro there show him clean-shaven, smiling with his love, a litte well padded but not way out of control as he had been; his sideburns were trimmed; he was just smiling like a kid. which i guess he was. bless his soul.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-20 09:37 by hopkins.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 20, 2018 17:08

I was into the Small Faces and the Animals from the beginning when bands were competing for hitsingles and as well when Humble Pie and Eric Burdon and The Animals was the follow up and also Steve Marriott & Band later, a big loss when Steve passed away. Jim Morrison took life to the extreme and his provocative, "Artaud", inspired stage acts and thanks to Amsterdam, Jim collapsed backstage and The Doors performed without Jim! There is an obscure track with Jimi Hendrix and Jim. I had great times listening Doors albums through the nights with my friends. Summer is here and get out these great vintage albums.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1503
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home