Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1978 US Tour poster question
Posted by: JoT839 ()
Date: April 13, 2018 19:20

Hi,

I assume that a few of you here on IORR has the original 1978 US Tour Poster (Pointing Women), I'm sure mattleeUK have one!

Anyhow, any photos/dimensions of the original poster would be much appreciated.

Does anyone also know if the original 78 tour poster is featured at the Exhibitionism?

Re: 1978 US Tour poster question
Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: April 13, 2018 19:40

JoT839
Hi,

I assume that a few of you here on IORR has the original 1978 US Tour Poster (Pointing Women), I'm sure mattleeUK have one!

Does anyone also know if the original 78 tour poster is featured at the Exhibitionism?

The original '78 poster, as well as several others, were all on display at Exhibitionism in Las Vegas.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: April 13, 2018 22:58

GAFF
JoT839
Hi,

The original '78 poster, as well as several others, were all on display at Exhibitionism in Las Vegas.

I am pretty sure it's not in exhibitionism. They skip from 76 to 81 (from memory), I'd have to check if they borrowed mine but I am pretty sure they don't have one. I have a spare but not easy to locate, there is also a smaller one.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: April 13, 2018 23:09

I once tried to locate the artist who designed it (he must be around 90 yo now) but I never managed.
I don't have the original poster but in 1994 the Stones made numbered and plate-signed lithographs of this poster. They look fantastic.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 13, 2018 23:10

JoT839

There's something ....

Exhibitionism New York 2016/17 - Large version of this picture.

Date: April 13, 2018 23:19

What a wall !!!
I do have 6 of the posters shown here and a few on lithos (Australia 73, NZ 73, Pembroke and 1976)
And still looking for some others !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-13 23:25 by Doc.

Date: April 13, 2018 23:25

Doc

The 1973 European Tour Poster can be bought here: [www.RollingStonesPosters.co.uk] .

Date: April 13, 2018 23:35

Irix
Doc

The 1973 European Tour Poster can be bought here: [www.RollingStonesPosters.co.uk] .

Thanks but I have the original 1973. ;-)
And the unsigned reprint of 1972.
Missing the 1970 tour though

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: April 13, 2018 23:40

Irix
JoT839

There's something ....

This was the exact same display they had in Vegas.

Date: April 13, 2018 23:50

My mistake! Just checked my loan agreement too and it is mine! As are many of those pictured. The hardest by far being the Kiwi. I have doubles of most (including the Kiwi). Watch out for reprints on the Cardiff the, Tumblin Dice and the 76 (most commonly knocked off of those pictures above)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-13 23:51 by mattleeuk.

Date: April 13, 2018 23:57

Matt I never dared to buy the 1973 posters since they are expensive and potentially reprints.
I stick to my official reprints hand signed by the artist :-)

Date: April 14, 2018 00:04

Doc, i’m Always happy to help. The Euro isn’t expensive, Aussie, Kiwi, Cardiff and Japan a lot more. Hawaii a lot more than Euro but not crazy, never been much of a fan of it though. Kind of too busy and not clean like the others.

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: April 14, 2018 11:13

I have an original 73 for exchange.I got the 78 lytho but want the poster too.

Date: April 14, 2018 17:37

JM, which 73 are you talking about ?
It's been a busy year

Matt what is the size of the 1976 European tour poster ?
I have concert posters from 76 but not the tour poster...

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: April 14, 2018 17:50

Doc
I once tried to locate the artist who designed it (he must be around 90 yo now) but I never managed.
I don't have the original poster but in 1994 the Stones made numbered and plate-signed lithographs of this poster. They look fantastic.

His name is Stanislaw Zagorski. There already was a thread about it a couple of years ago. Can't find it though.

[pl.wikipedia.org])

[www.discogs.com]

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: April 14, 2018 18:11

Doc
JM, which 73 are you talking about ?
It's been a busy year

Matt what is the size of the 1976 European tour poster ?
I have concert posters from 76 but not the tour poster...

Sorry,it is the european tour.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: April 14, 2018 18:49

Irix

Never seen them lined up like that, but after viewing, I think only 4 of the 18 shown are actually cool looking. The other 14 are crap, bonfire material.

Re: 1978 US Tour poster questions
Posted by: JoT839 ()
Date: April 14, 2018 20:50

Thanks for the feedback, can't wait to see some of them up close and personal at the Exhibitionism in Nashville,

Matt, is that the smaller (1978) version featured in Exhibitionism (on photo)?

1970 Euro Tour (boat & car), 1971 UK Tour (car) and 1972 Tour (plane) are my favorites with their clean and artistic look.

Date: April 14, 2018 21:25

Adams

His name is Stanislaw Zagorski. There already was a thread about it a couple of years ago. Can't find it though.

Here: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 14, 2018 23:56

The Sicilian
Irix

Never seen them lined up like that, but after viewing, I think only 4 of the 18 shown are actually cool looking. The other 14 are crap, bonfire material.

Have to disagree, most of these are icons in stones history, but also decent posters.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 15, 2018 01:33

I have the original giant torn American flag Steel Wheels poster still up on a sliding closet door in one of our spare rooms - has been there since I bought it in 1989.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 15, 2018 03:06

The Sicilian
Irix

Understandable... coming from you...

I on the other hand think they are all fkg awesome!
Then again I actually still like The Rolling Stones very much.

I am surprised the drawing of the 72 jet flying into the city is not up there...
and neither is the jet engined eagle from 75... those are both killer posters too... lemmeseeifIfindthem

My favorite up there is probably the space station, mostly due to some personal things for me... I still have 5-6 of that one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-15 03:18 by Leonioid.

Date: April 15, 2018 05:50

Still prefer the beginning of the wall. All the posters are mine until the Winterland Tumblin' Dice and then it's a split. They have the 70, 71, 72 and 75 but around the corner ranged with other stuff...

Date: April 15, 2018 06:05

And there's this one that I bought in 1981 which I still have, though it's a bit faded and tattered from being on my wall for a few years back in the early '80s (currently in a tube in storage).

And another I bought during Steel Wheels - still have it brand new rolled up in storage:

And from Voodoo Lounge I bought this (massive one similar in size to the torn American flag Steel Wheels poster)- definitely a favorite.

None are probably worth much to anyone other than myself as they all provide priceless memories. thumbs up

Date: April 15, 2018 06:09

mattleeuk
Still prefer the beginning of the wall. All the posters are mine until the Winterland Tumblin' Dice and then it's a split. They have the 70, 71, 72 and 75 but around the corner ranged with other stuff...

I would LOVE that caution poster/sign!!

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 15, 2018 06:28

Rockandroll posters and rockandroll T-shirts are pretty much
the coolest funnest bestest crap any oldmankid can own... they are the BEST!

The moral is the story is buy 3... (at least 3)
one to wear/display, one to keep mint, one to trade.

Date: April 15, 2018 21:57

Actually Hairball the Skeleton one is super desired and not so easy to find in great condition. Well done...

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: April 15, 2018 23:28

Even here in New Zealand the Kiwi 73 poster is very hard to find. In over 30 years of collecting, I've seen less than half a dozen. I possibly have access to a spare one currently...its framed and glued to the backing-board, is faded and has several rips - so in poor condition...but if you are desperate for one as a place holder...let me know. (I could potentially bring it to the UK in June) rcfoxy@yahoo.com Otherwise Matt can probably help with a tidier one...

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Date: April 16, 2018 01:46

mattleeuk
Actually Hairball the Skeleton one is super desired and not so easy to find in great condition. Well done...

Thanks Matt that's cool to know, and if I ever want to sell it I know who to contact (though I'm pretty sure you have one).winking smiley

Just kidding, I'm just an amateur "collector"/fan that used to buy alot of Stones stuff, and have no intentions of selling any of it...maybe some day when I'm very old.
I remember buying and saving a ton of stuff during the Voodoo Lounge tour, and still have a few of the catalogues for mail orders...I think it was Brockum.

One of my favorite posters is another giant one of the Saint of Me single cover design that's been hanging in my studio since I bought it in 1998 (can't remember where I bought it...maybe a record store?!).
I had it laminated by a friend who used to work at a Kinkos type place - don't know if that would decrease the collectibility value or not, but I don't care as it looks amazing and will probably last forever.

Date: April 16, 2018 02:06

Laminating a poster does drastically reduce its value, as does gluing it to a board, trimming it to fit a frame etc... but I wouldn't be worried about a poster that your only intention is to enjoy on your wall and isn't worth a great deal anyway. It no doubt looks great laminated as they are so hard to keep nice being so big (60" x 40"). It costs a bomb to frame these giant posters and I have only ever done it in my office where I have a full set of the Giant Some Girls reissue ones. The rest of my subway posters are in giant tubes, which is sad really. All the smaller stuff I keep in Top Loaders in Plan chests so I can look at them regularly without damaging them (I have 30 full draws and counting).

I love this track and it brings back memories of the only time I asked Ronnie a question at an official press conference. It was for his solo album "Not for Beginners". I asked something like:

"Keith said your new album wasn't as good as your first which obviously he played on, perhaps that was just him getting back at you for saying "Saint of Me" was your favorite track on Bridges to Babylon that he didn't play on, however what do the band think of Not for Beginners and what do you think of Goddess in the Doorway?"

To which Ronnie started his answer: "It's my mate Matt, he knows more about me than I do, you should be asking him the questions, anyway I want to see you afterwards..."

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home