Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: (OT) Growing Older
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 13, 2018 05:05

"How terribly strange to be 70". Well, in my case 65. Seems to have happened overnight. I can't complain though. I'm healthy and can still have major fun...particularly at a Stones show.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 13, 2018 06:21

steffialicia
"How terribly strange to be 70". Well, in my case 65. Seems to have happened overnight. I can't complain though. I'm healthy and can still have major fun...particularly at a Stones show.
smileys with beer

the number these days means less than how one feels... and rocks! Esp at a Stones show!

I have never felt my age... ever... I am flabbergasted it is 2018?

Where are our flying cars we were promised in so many movies!? Looking at you Bladerunner!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 13, 2018 08:34

I am hitting 64 in a couple of months.

Every morning when I wake up - I smile. Yes, I creak outta bed, I shuffle a bit when I walk, I am a tad overweight, but I WOKE UP and CAN MOVE by myself.

I am generally in good health, have a beautiful, healthy and sympathetic (to my Stones and Springsteen obsessions!) wife, I have perfect vision and hearing, we have no debt, we own our house and cars, I can still work full-time, my mum and the wife's dad are still kicking and in great health, I enjoy my red wine, travelling, we have some truly great life-time friends...

...really I can't complain. I WOKE UP!!!! Unfortunately I KNOW people who haven't woken up recently...

So for me - in my mid 60's - LIFE IS GRAND. I truly believe Rock and roll has enabled me to keep 'young of mind'.

So thanks to The Stones, Bruce and the heaps of other musicians I love - I have no doubt YOU all have helped me keep young at heart, mind and spirit. I REFUSE to grow up !!

Rod

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 13, 2018 12:10

I will be 62 this year and feel quite good.

I had a full hip replacement last year and was in a lot of pain before and i must admit i felt old.

After my operation and 12 months down the line i feel really good, i have lost over a stone in weight and just another 10 pounds to go to my target, i go walking 3 - 4 times a week and for the moment really cut down on the drinking < that will soon change when the stones are back in town >
I would love to go back to running, but deep down i know how foolish this could be, but i feel that good i sometimes get tempted.

Hopefully i will be retiring in another 2 - 3 years and some longer holidays.

Date: April 13, 2018 16:01

odean73

I had a full hip replacement last year and was in a lot of pain before and i must admit i felt old.

After my operation and 12 months down the line i feel really good, i have lost over a stone in weight and just another 10 pounds to go to my target, i go walking 3 - 4 times a week and for the moment really cut down on the drinking < that will soon change when the stones are back in town >
I would love to go back to running, but deep down i know how foolish this could be, but i feel that good i sometimes get tempted.

Oh please Odean don't run. I ran for over 20 years. I know exactly how you feel but after my double hip replacement in 2009 and 2010, I was strongly advised that it's not a good idea. I have remained in great shape, however. I bike, practice yoga, walk a lot and use various machines and weights in the gym. I am in really great shape and MJ is my hero!!! There are lots of things you can still do to be in great condition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-13 16:03 by steffialicia.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 13, 2018 18:26

According to my birth certificate I'm 60.

Can't possibly be true.

There's obviously some kind of conspiracy !

Date: April 13, 2018 18:31

steffialicia
odean73

Oh please Odean don't run. I ran for over 20 years. I know exactly how you feel but after my double hip replacement in 2009 and 2010, I was strongly advised that it's not a good idea. I have remained in great shape, however. I bike, practice yoga, walk a lot and use various machines and weights in the gym. I am in really great shape and MJ is my hero!!! There are lots of things you can still do to be in great condition.

My consultant said it was a no no for running, also ruled out tennis as well.I

I did do a bit of cycling last year and now looking at buying a decent road bike in the next few weeks and get back out again.

Thanks for the advice and I take it everything is ok, after the two operations?

Date: April 13, 2018 20:53

odean73
steffialicia
odean73

My consultant said it was a no no for running, also ruled out tennis as well.I

I did do a bit of cycling last year and now looking at buying a decent road bike in the next few weeks and get back out again.

Thanks for the advice and I take it everything is ok, after the two operations?

Yes. It worked out very well. Enjoy!

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: April 13, 2018 21:02

Well I have done 74 years next birthday at 75 I am gonna have a rock n roll party to die for (well not seriously but you know what I mean lol). I feel great, no thanks to a stroke, heart attack,quad bipass,lung collapse and a bad growth in the colon, but hey all is good now and life is great with a beautiful wife and great kids. So hang in there oldies and be positive, every sunrise is a bonus, long live the Stones.

Date: April 13, 2018 21:55

What a drag it is getting old.

Posted by: chris girard ()
Date: April 13, 2018 22:16

You guys are @#$%& depressing, I'm 68 but I still think I'm 25(my body tells me I'm not) but my brain won;t listen.

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: April 13, 2018 22:35

I´m 54.

Making love and breaking hearts
It is a game for youth

That´s WRONG on so many levels!!

Priest

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 13, 2018 22:52

keeping fit is the key, im 49 and fit for my age and much fitter than many my age and many younger than me. keeping the mind active too also helps. sadly i look in the mirror and i see myself for the age i am, not what i want to be.

you cant turn back the clock.

Date: April 13, 2018 23:19

Funniy enough a couple of months ago, I thought I was on my way out.

I started to get severe chest pains and my left arm was feeling numb, eventually I had to wake the wife and we drove to the nearest hospital, after 10 hours i was diagnosed with pleurisy. I even started to tell my wife about the different bank accounts lol

I will say after the hip operation and losing my weight, I do feel years younger and getting my fitness back.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 14, 2018 04:07

2000 LYFH

As Billy Joel said recently, "playing the back 9 now."

If I had to pinpoint it, I'd say he's on the 16th tee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-14 04:08 by tatters.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 14, 2018 04:30

I am a late bloomer...gypsy woman told me once that my life would take off in my 60's.

So I expect I won't hit my peak until at least 70. cool smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 15, 2018 04:17

Ill be 59 this year. Ive worked construction all my life. I feel like im 90. legs are shot.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 15, 2018 08:29

Well I'm older than dirt. I've done a LOT of research, and uh, apparently...
....well statiscally at least....
....maybe i'm having a lttle trouble with that 'acceptance' thing from time to time....
....but there IS a lot of junk science these days....
....i'm pretty sure there are zombies at least....
....i mean i actually know some....so don't even go there w me, I've got skin in the game....
....well, a lot of people do...i'm NOT saying it's definitely gonna happen...
...i mean the zombie thing....not that i want to be a zombie...it could be
that time of the season, so to speak...
...i mean, maybe vampies live forever....or don't you go to the movies...
you probably think they are fake and not secret messages don't you...never mind...
...why is the reaper grim. anyway. i mean it can't be good news if he's grim...
he's not like, the happy reaper, i mean i've never heard that before have you...
i don't even want to say it out loud....
.....the happy reaper, come on people...
what do you think he wanted shelter from!?...
...three guesses take your time...
not too much damn time, apparently.
great. finally getting good on the guitar too.
cheezus

Date: April 15, 2018 08:33

latebloomer
I am a late bloomer...gypsy woman told me once that my life would take off in my 60's.

So I expect I won't hit my peak until at least 70. cool smiley

'take off' ...uh....okaay.....
where tho!?!!confused smiley
lol; you will live long and prosper!

My friend will be 91 this Spring; he hears me moaning
and tells me he was really sick in his sixties, then he got much better these this last quarter century!!?
with a few dings and scratches as one would imagine, but still riding
his bike early every day.
I saw this old guy walking with his wife, &
he had a tee shirt that said "Everything Hurts And I'm Dying"
....i really appreciated not being alone....

---
i guess these anemic attempts at humor are part of the way I deal with the fear of death. all that philosophical hooey stops at times....
...well you don't feel the nothingness of sleep...
and all the other internal pathetic arguments with myself...
i mean it's the most basic instinct, that survival thing...
...i think there are turtles that live way longer than even a long life-span
for a human.
.....and here I go...
...trees alive now that are thousands of years old...
....but i ain't a tree....and i never met a tree that had a record collection...
back to the humor, but i'm the same age as Mr. Tom Petty and he passed
away and it home pretty hard, aside from my respect, appreciation
and sense of sadness about the pain in his life I didn't know about and etc...
....i admit it did strike me hard in a personal way too...
i did start to think really hard about what the next work would be...
...how much it would have to mean to me....and i like to work...
but....at a certain age, i don't know if this will change tomorrow again because
of circumstances beyond my knowledge or control, but
at a certain point I just really started to refuse to do anything
that didn't click with my personal ethics, or personal judgement
on how to priortize things, or my sense of what deserved my
passionate energies,
because that's what I can't help but bring to a job at this point,
and really, for me, that is what is fun and compelling about work...
....if it was practicing guitar for non pro level bands...
...or digging a ditch with other guys...
...i tend to lean away from the sure knowledge that all and everything,
all our posturing and politics, crusades....wonderful and horrible dynamic things...will all be dust...it does give me some ironic pleasure, the constant
scientific 'new discoeries,' proving we were eons off about when
humans first migrated or had certain aspects of culture and technology...
...we are so sure of so much stuff that turns out wrong, and in so many fields...
it's kind of delightfully mysterious...bringing some great humility into the picture....eventually we won't even be sand as we explode into the sun...
now everybody have a great Saturday night! Don't forget to tip your waitress!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-15 09:20 by hopkins.

Date: April 15, 2018 09:35

also as an old guy now i do like having some personal historical perspective
on culture and politics. and it's cool that what seemed real old-timey to me,
in a sort of negative way...now seems enormously humane and intelligent.
'Practical and pragmatic' seems miraculous and relevatory.
i don't know if that's the 'arrogance of youth' or whatever....

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 15, 2018 13:00

One thing I am finding hard to accept is the current social, political and economic deterioration. My mental state is now one of constant low-level anxiety. My parents grew up experiencing the Depression and WW2, and they would have been well aware that nothing is permanent, everything changes. But for those of us born in the post-war era, when there was no major economic downturn and no wars fought on Western European, North American or Aus/NZ soil, we somehow believed that it was impossible for things to deteriorate. And now we learn otherwise. My mother would say, 'If you live long enough, you'll see everything.' But I didn't believe her.

Date: April 15, 2018 16:33

Bliss
One thing I am finding hard to accept is the current social, political and economic deterioration. My mental state is now one of constant low-level anxiety. My parents grew up experiencing the Depression and WW2, and they would have been well aware that nothing is permanent, everything changes. But for those of us born in the post-war era, when there was no major economic downturn and no wars fought on Western European, North American or Aus/NZ soil, we somehow believed that it was impossible for things to deteriorate. And now we learn otherwise. My mother would say, 'If you live long enough, you'll see everything.' But I didn't believe her.

ty i relate to this strongly.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 15, 2018 17:05

hopkins
Bliss

ty i relate to this strongly.

In the end, it's all just words and actions, and human's being what they are every culture, political, and economic entity deteriorates eventually - then something new rises in it's place. The anxiety lessens once you can accept that history always repeats itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-15 18:38 by latebloomer.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 16, 2018 12:45

....World today ...Huh! shit eeerrr well cant help but
think of the Do Long Bridge scene from Apocalypse Now ....

Captain Willard -- "Who's the commanding officer here ?"

Soldier -- "Ain't you ?"

.......... then after Roach takes down the sniper with grenade launcher

Captain Willard -- "Hey soldier ........ do you know who's in command here?"

Roach -- "Yeah"

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 16, 2018 13:39

latebloomer

In the end, it's all just words and actions, and human's being what they are every culture, political, and economic entity deteriorates eventually - then something new rises in it's place. The anxiety lessens once you can accept that history always repeats itself.

...hear, hear. thumbs up

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 16, 2018 13:48

Greetings fellow IORRians . I as many of you have been grappling with my own issues with health and have taken some knocks and have had no choice but to keep rolling on with life as best as I see fit and my best advice is not to get to down and I know only to well that is easier said than done but like a wise sage told me long ago and God bless them for that but try to find something that makes you happy and embrace it and never let it go because life is short and we only come thru this place once .So never sell your self short and NEVER take crap from anyone and do your best to live your life to the fullest and grab as much from life as you can and make your self HAPPY in whatever way and fashion that you can because anything short is robbing your self .Lastly and very important is to take the best care of your self medically .smiling smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 16, 2018 13:52

I believe part of the trick growing old gracefully is to avoid cynical thoughts as well as watching your physical health. Maybe it's a case of 'mind over matter' in any case I see a lot people that seemed to not learn life lessons. It's like they're just older versions of themselves. Personally I believe we're supposed to make progress, even if it's only in baby steps. Good luck all.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 16, 2018 18:25

Gonna put on "Let's Work" and start getting into shape today!

Welllll, maybe the second part.......

OT (sort of): Good Advice
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 14, 2018 01:15

For all of us aging music fans (& musicians), Robert Smith of the Cure has some fantastic advice

[www.stereogum.com]

Re: OT (sort of): Good Advice
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 15, 2018 06:57

Since Stones concerts are almost exclusively stadium shows, most people there are seated anyway ... winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1775
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home