Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Growing Older
Date: April 12, 2018 17:36

Kind of a drag. This should be a thoughtful thread though. Today I saw several places where I was faced with this topic. And it feels like a major percentage on this board grows along with the Stones; up and up into the hopefully, wiser years.
Never before has technology had such an impact on the generation gap. It provides a springboard for "new" music. But the previous crop of musicians isn't just being rendered obsolete - this time they are actually dying. This time, time has come knocking. It becomes very hard to distance my own mortality from seeing many of my childhood heroes pass away.
It is a topic that pisses me off, constantly. I see some of my friends obsessed with weight-gain, hair-loss, lasting-power. I am sick of sentences that begin with "as we get older..." LOL
The game is rigged. Early on you have the drive, and pure illusion; and faith. Later on you figure a few things out, try not to get too jaded, and walk that fine line between wisdom and cynicism; but by the time I have weighed this against that, done my brilliant brainstorming, the energy to do anything at all has gone 'poof' and evaporated.
I have not reached a way to smartly wrap this up yet; but I see many struggling with similar issues. In these last few threads. Maybe someone else can share some knowledge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 21:03 by bv.

Re: (OT) Growing Older
Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: April 12, 2018 18:09

As a man in my late 50's the "growing old" issue has become a reality of life. My demographic is no longer the "hot" demographic where everything on the planet is geared towards me. That is ok.

When interacting with younger people it is a bit discouraging how they dismiss anyone over 45. I am sure that I did it in my youth. I can say "Stones at Altamont" to a person over 50 and they know instantly what I am talking about, say it to people in their 20's and 30's and they haven't a clue. The generation gap is really more of an information gap. They could say "Drake" to me and I would answer that it is a university in the states. Probably the same thing when I was young.

The other thing about today's era is the isolation. I watch TV of my choice, I listen to music of my choice on Sirius XM or my own own library. I haven't heard "modern" music in 15 years. When I was a kid we all had to watch Ed Sullivan and be immersed in all the acts. I had to watch Al Martino before Paul Revere and the Raiders came on. We all had a bit of exposure to the other generations interests and likes. I didn't understand at the time but that was a good thing.

I wish younger folk would be more open to learning from our life experience. we could save them a lot of pain. I wish I had listened more to older folks when I was in my 20's. But, such is the nature of youth. Immortality and knowledge of everything.

I am happy getting older. I am good shape, like what I like. The louder I can hear Brussels 73 the better the day it is.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 12, 2018 18:09

Well: just REALLY accepting (and I'm not saying you don't...)
that everything eventually stops 'being' & goes away;
and REALLY quit considering yourself
(and I'm not saying you're doing so...)
"the centre of the universe",
all of that helps an awfull lot.

Enjoy it;
Keep Calm & Carry On. thumbs up

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 12, 2018 18:14

At 57, "being seen" beats "being viewed"! (Alive vs. dead)

Glad we got to live through the great musical era that we did.

Date: April 12, 2018 18:18

I can't keep up with my daughters when we're going for a run or cross country skiing anymore. That's where it hurts the most getting old: Physically.

It's my own fault, though. I shouldn't have listened to Keith. Playing shows won't keep you in good shape. It's nonsense grinning smiley

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 12, 2018 18:19

Palace Revolution 2000
Kind of a drag. This should be a thoughtful thread though. Today I saw several places where I was faced with this topic. And it feels like a major percentage on this board grows along with the Stones; up and up into the hopefully, wiser years.
Never before has technology had such an impact on the generation gap. It provides a springboard for "new" music. But the previous crop of musicians isn't just being rendered obsolete - this time they are actually dying. This time, time has come knocking. It becomes very hard to distance my own mortality from seeing many of my childhood heroes pass away.
It is a topic that pisses me off, constantly. I see some of my friends obsessed with weight-gain, hair-loss, lasting-power. I am sick of sentences that begin with "as we get older..." LOL
The game is rigged. Early on you have the drive, and pure illusion; and faith. Later on you figure a few things out, try not to get too jaded, and walk that fine line between wisdom and cynicism; but by the time I have weighed this against that, done my brilliant brainstorming, the energy to do anything at all has gone 'poof' and evaporated.
I have not reached a way to smartly wrap this up yet; but I see many struggling with similar issues. In these last few threads. Maybe someone else can share some knowledge.

Having said that Keith surprised us with selling half a million copies of Crosseyed Heart, not bad these days, and then the Stones blow our minds with selling 2.5 million with BAL. Our music is not dead yet.smoking smiley

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: April 12, 2018 18:32

Hope that I don't go off topic 'cause I'd like to
tell you this:
I'm turning 66 in July and for a couple of years I recognized
that I was more and more thinking about getting old, whereas I'm
still skinny, don't loose any hair and I'm in a really good
overall condition.

Now, on February 17th this year, my old Lady's birthday, I had a bad fall
in the washingroom of a restaurant. I litarally broke my neck.
As I'm writing this here you see that I'm not dead and (very, very great wonder)
I'm not sitting in a wheelchair. I spent some weeks in hospital and now I'm home.
My neck is still fixed and I can't move as I would like to but I'm still alive.
This drama totally changed my thinking about beeing young or old. I don't care about it anymore.
I'm just thankful for every hour I can sit in the sun and if it starts to rain. Well, let it rain. I'm still alive.
Hope I did not went too off topic here.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 12, 2018 18:36

im 49, i rarely listen to modern music, think drake is a male duck, and enjoy watching great british comedy, the likely lads, citizen smith, george and mildred, man about the house, fawlty towers, porridge, i have nothing in common with my daughter and she dismisses my opinion of music, comedy etc.

would like to 18 again but during the 50,s when britain was a lot safer.

Date: April 12, 2018 18:42

Phil Good
tell you this:
overall condition.

As I'm writing this here you see that I'm not dead and (very, very great wonder)
I'm not sitting in a wheelchair. I spent some weeks in hospital and now I'm home.
This drama totally changed my thinking about beeing young or old. I don't care about it anymore.
I'm just thankful for every hour I can sit in the sun and if it starts to rain. Well, let it rain. I'm still alive.

Bless your heart and hang in there mate because the body is constantly healing itself, i had sciatica last year and i couldn't leave the house for months.
But 10 months later i'm back to work and almost back to normal. Good luck Phil, i never worry about getting old, life just gets better if anything, like Ronnie said in one of his songs " i wish i new what i know now when i was younger "

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-12 18:46 by keithsman.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 12, 2018 18:44

RoughJusticeOnYa

Enjoy it;

Wise words. Insight comes with age. Let the ego go. Take care of your relatives. Be kind. Because in the end everything will be taken from you.

Date: April 12, 2018 18:50

Stoneage
RoughJusticeOnYa

Enjoy it;

Wise words. Insight comes with age. Let the ego go. Take care of your relatives. Be kind. Because in the end everything will be taken from you.

Aww that's nice man, why did i have you down as one of the bad guys winking smiley

Date: April 12, 2018 19:40

Phil Good
tell you this:
overall condition.

I;m glad you shared this. That is one thing I wanted to say in my OP: that there is no off topic. This should be something that most of us are dealing with in one way or another; maybe not at all. But as Stones fans we are probably all loosely grouped in an age group.
Phil - I brke my neck too. It was years ago, and I had a close call too. After almost a year in treaction, the only thing I lost was my sense of smell.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: April 12, 2018 20:14

Nicely said TimmyJ3. And some other interesting comments. I'm sure all of us, of a certain age, as we see our heroes fall (for me, Bowie was, and remains Devastating), we get a sense of 'it's not dark yet, but it's getting there' as Dylan once sang. As good health becomes more important, and likely more time consuming, and realizing we're closer to the end of this big movie called life, than the beginning...you try to find ways to deal with the inescapable fact that 'Time Waits for No One.'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-12 20:21 by DEmerson.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 12, 2018 20:15

wow, i can't imagine the horror of breaking your neck. You must be scared that every motion you make can cause your instant death. And 2 of you? Well good luck in recovery!

"what a drag it is getting old"

Posted by: z ()
Date: April 12, 2018 20:18

I've been old all along.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-12 20:35 by z.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: April 12, 2018 21:07

OK, this 63 year old Stones Fan since 1964 feels the need to lighten the mood.

A couple in their 90s is sitting on their front porch, enjoying the sunset from their rocking chairs. After awhile, the man looks over at his wife and says:

"Honey, I just have to tell you. All these years have been so happy for me, and it's all because of you. I love you more than life itself."

His wife leans over and loudly says, "WHAT DID YOU SAY???"

He continues:

"Well, I mean it, you've been my companion, my lover, my helper, my friend, for the past 70 years, and I just want to say thanks for all you've done for me."

Again, she replies, "WHAT DID YOU SAY???"

Finally, the man, as loudly as he can, says "I SURE AM PROUD OF YOU!!!"

The woman answers, "You ARE, huh?? Well, I'M TIRED OF YOU, TOO!!!"

smileys with beer

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 12, 2018 22:15

DEmerson
Nicely said TimmyJ3. And some other interesting comments. I'm sure all of us, of a certain age, as we see our heroes fall (for me, Bowie was, and remains Devastating), we get a sense of 'it's not dark yet, but it's getting there' as Dylan once sang. As good health becomes more important, and likely more time consuming, and realizing we're closer to the end of this big movie called life, than the beginning...you try to find ways to deal with the inescapable fact that 'Time Waits for No One.'

As Billy Joel said recently, "playing the back 9 now."

We are all in the same boat, 100 short years from now, there will be a different 7 billion people on Earth and Keith!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 12, 2018 22:21

Father Time is a mother-@#$%&.

It's OK to grow old and, to a lesser extent, feel older.
Just Keep Going and Keep Smiling.

It's all we can really do.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 12, 2018 22:25

The body starts to die around age 35... unless one tricks it.

I read one can trick the body by continuing to exercise every part of ones body. The problem is around age 35 a lot of people start to relax and sit around more and more which increase the race towards death... but by continuing to exercise the brain, muscles and everything one can make the body think it is still young... forever young.

Do I practice that? Kind of... some times... but... you know.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 12, 2018 22:30

[www.youtube.com]
restless farewell

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 12, 2018 23:48

Damn, I can relate to all this. I am 67, been a Stones fan since around 14 years old.

Elmo, you said it: "being seen" beats "being viewed"!

About 8 or 9 years ago my doctor told me that I was diabetic, but the numbers were not alarming to him. Well, I want to keep traveling, working, being active. So, I purchased a recumbent bike exercise machine. Since that time, I have exercised on it 1 hour a day, averaging 6 days a week. I am doing it for survival. I mean, I love to eat, love to relax, and I can do that so long as I keep my regimen going. Truly, I feel great and have kept my weight down. I had a physical late last year and the results were great. Anyway, I am very thankful, very grateful. I know that there are no guarantees at my age.(Or any age for that matter). I travel a lot internationally and I try to keep my wits about me wherever I go.

The Stones' music is timeless. I listen to their music all the time and I visit IORR almost daily. I think that also keep me from growing old mentally.

Here's to life!!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 13, 2018 00:02

Kurt
Father Time is a mother-@#$%&.

It's OK to grow old and, to a lesser extent, feel older.
Just Keep Going and Keep Smiling.

It's all we can really do.

What a depressing thread sad smiley But I like your post the most. Honest, realistic and positive thumbs up

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: April 13, 2018 01:12

Growing old did not really set in until I hit 60. I still feel young at heart but the body tells me differently. I am still in good health but have the usual aches and pains of age.

I am a Engineering Manager in my job and every 6 months we get a new college student who comes to work for us as part of their schooling.

I love their energy but when I asked the most recent one if she knew who Eric Clapton was she did not have a clue. I have found this to be true with many of the Millennial's I have talked to in that they have no idea who many of the musical heroes we enjoy and discuss on this forum are.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 13, 2018 01:20

oldschool
Growing old did not really set in until I hit 60. I still feel young at heart but the body tells me differently. I am still in good health but have the usual aches and pains of age.

I am a Engineering Manager in my job and every 6 months we get a new college student who comes to work for us as part of their schooling.

I love their energy but when I asked the most recent one if she knew who Eric Clapton was she did not have a clue. I have found this to be true with many of the Millennial's I have talked to in that they have no idea who many of the musical heroes we enjoy and discuss on this forum are.

My 13 year-old granddaughter told me about what she and her classmates term the "coolest" teacher at her middle school, a 25 year-old female teacher who listens to the Stones and wears tops with the tongue logo on them. There is hope!!

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: April 13, 2018 01:31

ahh but I was so much older then I am younger than that now!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 13, 2018 01:54

Nice and open thread..........maybe I should tell what I feel..........or not ;o)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 13, 2018 02:07

..... Just keep the good sounds pourin' in and don't stop Lovin' & Laughin' Palace or you'll end up an old granny ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 13, 2018 02:47

Interesting topic to show up considering I just watched this past weekend a really good movie about aging, coming to grips with life in terms of what you've done with and in it or not. If you can, check out "The Hero" with Sam Elliott.

Regarding aging, I guess most of us do what we can to make a go of it, learning to eat right; drink moderately or not at all; do some exercising; learn to enjoy who and what you are, where you're at and who you're with. I look back and have regrets over people and things come and gone, things never accomplished, but don't we all. In heart, mind and spirit I look forward. There's still so much yet to see, hear and learn.

As a contribution musically to this thread, one of my favorite songs about aging. There's a number of versions. This one is my fave.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: April 13, 2018 03:32

DaveG
oldschool

My 13 year-old granddaughter told me about what she and her classmates term the "coolest" teacher at her middle school, a 25 year-old female teacher who listens to the Stones and wears tops with the tongue logo on them. There is hope!!

LOL, that is great to hear. My two teenage daughters have their own music but I expose them to the classics, Stones Led Zep, Aerosmith, Clapton, etc. anytime they ride in my car so they do like some of my music. Teach your Children well indeed!

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: April 13, 2018 04:33

Having turned 60 I pretty much live by Keith's statement..."Any day above ground is a good day"...or something like that. I find myself saying it often and it usually gets a nice laugh and a nod from friends. I think the trick is not to let your mind grow old. Being a Stones fan has really helped in that respect,lol. There is one nice thing about getting older. You don;t give a @#$% any more about those stupid things you used to worry about. It's quite liberating.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home