Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 14
Re: LEAK: 2002 Sessions - Discussion Thread and Info
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 14, 2018 23:20

MrEcho
Who plays bass on the leaked songs? Don Was? Mick addresses him by name at one point.

The bass mostly just does the root notes here. Pity Bill wasn't there. The part of Mick addressing Don Was escaped me. In that case, funny that Darryl wasn't there.

Date: April 14, 2018 23:50

Doxa
Unfortunately Jagger doesn't sound too inspired. Yeah, it is a work in process for sure, him just trying different sounds and melody ideas, so no point to judge harshly. But still to my ears it ends up him just autopilot-like re-cicling his (then) current vocal cliches, tricks and manouvres (pretty clearly to be manifested in GODDESS and ALFIE albums). And none of them seem to work here. Anyway, if anything else, it is an educational showcase of Jagger's vocal technique of those days..

Jagger semms to be more interested in also acting the songs in recent decades than he was earlier. Much of his overdone singing and vocal posing on the leaked tracks sounds to me as if he's trying to find a voice or character to impersonate in the respective songs. Of course he has his clichés, like, say, de Niro pulls the same tricks over and over. To me, he comes across better if the acting part isn't overdone. Like, itÄs clearly there e.g. in Melody but there it supports the singing instead of distracting from it.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 15, 2018 03:12

doitywoik
MrEcho
Who plays bass on the leaked songs? Don Was? Mick addresses him by name at one point.

The bass mostly just does the root notes here. Pity Bill wasn't there. The part of Mick addressing Don Was escaped me. In that case, funny that Darryl wasn't there.

I don’t know who is playing bass on the 2002 Sessions. When I saw the Stones tracking at Ocean Way in ‘97 there was no one playing bass. Don stayed in the control room. It wouldn’t make much sense for them to have overdubbed bass on the 2002 tracks though, so someone must have been playing.

Keith has said several times over the past years that his job is to “turn Mick on.” This has obviously become more and more difficult. Maybe he enjoyed cutting Blue and Lonesome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-15 06:30 by TeddyB1018.

Date: April 15, 2018 05:48

You hear somebody plucking away on a bass e.g. in the long banter before the 2nd version of proto-Trouble, there was certainly a bass player in situ. I hear two guitars, a bass, Chuck's keyboard and the drums. Like what one would expect with 4 Stones + Chuck + Darryl in the Studio recording live. On Dreams and Love Is A Test there are two electric guitars and the acoustic in addition. If the acoustic wasn't overdubbed, one of the guitar players must have been Mick (or an unknown guest). U Don't Wanna puzzles me a bit, there seem to be 3 electrics and one acoustic, in the intro they are all playing at the same time.

Date: April 15, 2018 09:20

doitywoik
MrEcho

He addressed Don once to play the tape, so Keith could hear his own intro.

Date: April 15, 2018 09:23

doitywoik
You hear somebody plucking away on a bass e.g. in the long banter before the 2nd version of proto-Trouble, there was certainly a bass player in situ. I hear two guitars, a bass, Chuck's keyboard and the drums. Like what one would expect with 4 Stones + Chuck + Darryl in the Studio recording live. On Dreams and Love Is A Test there are two electric guitars and the acoustic in addition. If the acoustic wasn't overdubbed, one of the guitar players must have been Mick (or an unknown guest). U Don't Wanna puzzles me a bit, there seem to be 3 electrics and one acoustic, in the intro they are all playing at the same time.

The acoustic might have been recorded before the session (Mick demo).

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 15, 2018 13:19

Whilst I LOVE having "new" Stones music, and really don't doubt it, how do we actually know these songs ARE the 2002 sessions? The reason I ask is that, acknowledging the last two songs as released on Licks have been fully polished and finished, they sound SO different to the other tracks. The drum sounds are just polar opposites. In the two Licks songs Charlie sounds like he's hitting a cardboard box. On the remaining roughly polished songs, especially Cried Out and Dreams and even U Don't Wanna, the drum sounds, as well as the guitar and keyboard sounds are just beautiful and crisp, upfront and a highlight. The sound of the two batches of songs, the Licks ones and the "new" ones, to me is chalk and cheese. Yet, from the same sessions and studio???

If the Licks songs sounds ARE a result of Don Was production, keep him away from anything new The Stones may be creating. Please.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-15 13:37 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 15, 2018 13:51

To be honest - fairly boring / uninspiring songs.
Maybe the reason they were never published.

Date: April 15, 2018 14:09

bitusa2012
Whilst I LOVE having "new" Stones music, and really don't doubt it, how do we actually know these songs ARE the 2002 sessions? The reason I ask is that, acknowledging the last two songs as released on Licks have been fully polished and finished, they sound SO different to the other tracks. The drum sounds are just polar opposites. In the two Licks songs Charlie sounds like he's hitting a cardboard box. On the remaining roughly polished songs, especially Cried Out and Dreams and even U Don't Wanna, the drum sounds, as well as the guitar and keyboard sounds are just beautiful and crisp, upfront and a highlight. The sound of the two batches of songs, the Licks ones and the "new" ones, to me is chalk and cheese. Yet, from the same sessions and studio???

If the Licks songs sounds ARE a result of Don Was production, keep him away from anything new The Stones may be creating. Please.

We knew some of the titles. And we knew Trouble was called Just Because.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 15, 2018 16:12

bitusa2012

The last two appear to be lifted from the official releases, hence the difference in sound.

Date: April 15, 2018 17:12

bitusa2012
Whilst I LOVE having "new" Stones music, and really don't doubt it, how do we actually know these songs ARE the 2002 sessions?

Well, we know that the sessions when Just Before/Becaue were recorded must have taken place prior to the release of Keith's CH, where the song appears reworked as Trouble. For the rest we have to trust the anonymous benefactor/informants, one way or other.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 16, 2018 14:52

DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012

because the person close to the band who circulated them four years ago said they are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 14:53 by Gazza.

Date: April 16, 2018 15:17

Gazza
DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012

because the person close to the band who circulated them four years ago said they are.

Indeed + that Teddy here (as well as some other friends of mine) had heard these tapes/had them in their posession.

Trouble was called «Just Because» back then, though, not «Just Before» or «Because» smiling smiley

Was Smooth 180 also leaked to the public earlier, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 15:19 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 16, 2018 15:28

Has anyone created a cover for this album and if so, can they post it please.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 16, 2018 15:33

Gazza
DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012

And isn´t there a PC screen in the studio scenes where you can read some titles?

Date: April 16, 2018 15:40

TooTough
Gazza
DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012

And isn´t there a PC screen in the studio scenes where you can read some titles?

On the Four Flicks-DVD?

Date: April 16, 2018 15:53

Silver Dagger

It's here, Mike. Scroll down.

Date: April 16, 2018 16:00

DandelionPowderman
TooTough

On the Four Flicks-DVD?

Yes, Tip Of The Tongue...
not really informative...

left:
[...] Me
[...] Trac[k]
[Losing] my T[ouch] ?
[Still In My/Stealing] My H[eart]
[...] & Me

right:

35 Still In My [Heart]? --> Stealing My Heart?
36 I Only Found Out Yesterday
37 Still In ...[recut]
38 Don´t Stop

Date: April 16, 2018 16:02

TooTough
DandelionPowderman
TooTough

On the Four Flicks-DVD?

left:
[...] Me
[...] Trac[k]
[Losing] my T[ouch] ?
[...] & Me

right:

37 Still In ...[recut]
38 Don´t Stop

Yeah, I remember now. Thanks thumbs up

Date: April 16, 2018 16:14

TooTough
DandelionPowderman
TooTough

On the Four Flicks-DVD?

left:
[...] Me
[...] Trac[k]
[Losing] my T[ouch] ?
[...] & Me

right:

37 Still In ...[recut]
38 Don´t Stop

Maybe the Secret Service can help:

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 16, 2018 16:24

DandelionPowderman
TooTough
DandelionPowderman
TooTough

On the Four Flicks-DVD?

left:
[...] Me
[...] Trac[k]
[Losing] my T[ouch] ?
[...] & Me

right:

37 Still In ...[recut]
38 Don´t Stop

The tried out the track Still In Love between 1979 and 2002 - 23 years. In 1982 it was known as Run And Take. There are six or seven different versions known.

Date: April 16, 2018 16:28

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
TooTough
DandelionPowderman
TooTough

On the Four Flicks-DVD?

left:
[...] Me
[...] Trac[k]
[Losing] my T[ouch] ?
[...] & Me

right:

37 Still In ...[recut]
38 Don´t Stop

The tried out the track Still In Love between 1979 and 2002 - 23 years. In 1982 it was known as Run And Take. There are six or seven different versions known.

But here it's «Still In My...». A different song, methinks.

On the other side we can read ...«my head».

Still In My Head?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 16:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 16, 2018 16:34

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
TooTough
DandelionPowderman
TooTough

On the Four Flicks-DVD?

left:
[...] Me
[...] Trac[k]
[Losing] my T[ouch] ?
[...] & Me

right:

37 Still In ...[recut]
38 Don´t Stop

But here it's «Still In My...». A different song, methinks.

On the other side we can read ...«my head».

Still In My Head?

I didn't notice that. Okay then probably a different embryonic song; Still In Love was buried in 1982 ;-)

Date: April 16, 2018 18:14

Silver Dagger

Here ya go.

rogerriffin
Many many thanks to all involved!!!
Laugh i nearly died early take!!!

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: April 16, 2018 23:12

Is 37 at the screen not Still in love? (See also website of Nico Zentgraf of 2002)?

Date: April 16, 2018 23:29

alexander paul
Is 37 at the screen not Still in love? (See also website of Nico Zentgraf of 2002)?

Looks like Still In My... (recut)

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: April 16, 2018 23:35

No, not 35 but 37.

Date: April 17, 2018 00:05

alexander paul
No, not 35 but 37.

I meant 37. It has "recut" after the title. Most likely a new take on #35, which is called "Still In My..."

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 17, 2018 00:15

DandelionPowderman
alexander paul
No, not 35 but 37.

I meant 37. It has "recut" after the title. Most likely a new take on #35, which is called "Still In My..."

Can you post a link? Or do I have to zip something again. I deleted the first time I downloaded the songs.
Thank you,
35/37 Still in Love (I hear Luther Vandross, will the 80’s ever leave me? Yes I saw Luther Vandross Circle Star theater sing ‘Still in love....

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: April 17, 2018 00:18

U don't wanna has a lot of potential

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home