Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 14
Re: LEAK: 2002 Sessions - Discussion Thread and Info
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 12, 2018 18:44

Rocky Dijon
I'm with 35love in thinking there's quite a bit of mumbled, nonsensical words that fit musically. More "vowel movements" as they used to call them. He's just getting a feel on most of these. More articulate than Keith's guide vocal on "Soul Survivor" that surfaced for the EXILE reissue, but still not up to the standard of even latter-day rhyming dictionary Mick. Bottom line is there are no cards on the table, it isn't finished.

Thank you for helping me explain.
No Dandelion the lyrics are not complete, I tried the first 3 songs, not complete.

Again, just my personal preference, I do not care for incomplete RS songs, with few exceptions (CYHMK alternative version, is 1 example, but I cannot think of any others, including all the ‘Some Girls’ release of unfinished tracks, not for me, and the Exile unfinished tracks, not for me. Why hear incomplete ‘Loving Cup’ when I’ve got the sober perfected version I already deeply know and love?)

It also reminds me how essential Jagger’s vocals are to a RS song.

Date: April 12, 2018 18:54

35love
Rocky Dijon
I'm with 35love in thinking there's quite a bit of mumbled, nonsensical words that fit musically. More "vowel movements" as they used to call them. He's just getting a feel on most of these. More articulate than Keith's guide vocal on "Soul Survivor" that surfaced for the EXILE reissue, but still not up to the standard of even latter-day rhyming dictionary Mick. Bottom line is there are no cards on the table, it isn't finished.

Thank you for helping me explain.
No Dandelion the lyrics are not complete, I tried the first 3 songs, not complete.

Again, just my personal preference, I do not care for incomplete RS songs, with few exceptions (CYHMK alternative version, is 1 example, but I cannot think of any others, including all the ‘Some Girls’ release of unfinished tracks, not for me, and the Exile unfinished tracks, not for me. Why hear incomplete ‘Loving Cup’ when I’ve got the sober perfected version I already deeply know and love?)

It also reminds me how essential Jagger’s vocals are to a RS song.

I was a little quick. I didn't mean complete - rather that they were at a stage where they had started taking shape smiling smiley

Sorry for the confusion, hehe

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: April 12, 2018 18:55

shortfatfanny
U don't wanna ... grabbed me immediately...

Same Here SFF winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 12, 2018 19:03

Blueranger
bitusa2012
Blueranger
While I do think there are gems here, I also see the usual hyperbole....

You think there are gems, yet there;s hyperbole too...

....agreed! There are gems to be hyperbolic about!

The hyperbole is in the claims by some here, that this is what should have been released instead of what we got. Calm down, please. In a couple of months, people a tired of listening to it already. Watch this space...

I have a feeling some will enjoy these nuggets longer than they enjoyed A Bigger Bang proper. While not all are golden nuggets (Don't Stop and Keys will never be good imo), there aren't really any dirt clods except those two.
On the other hand, many dirt clods can be found on ABB which sort of tainted the album as a whole. And while there is a genuine Stonesy rawness with some of these new nuggets, ABB simply has bad/sterlized sound and some of the songs that might have been contenders have been tainted because of it.

All that said, there is a sense of hyperbole due fans being starved for anything due to deprivation, and anything is a welcome treat at this point.
The fact is this stuff is for most part pretty darn good, and it's a shame they couldn't fully finish what they started back on 2002!
Don't Stop and Keys to Your Love should have been the ones left buried, but instead they were included on a Greats Hits set.confused smiley

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: April 12, 2018 19:18

Very grateful that these have finally surfaced. Nothing earth-shattering, but I love hearing this stuff. Keith should’ve kept the “Flip the Switch”-style intro for “Trouble” rather than the recontexualized CYHMK riff. Mick was right: it’s interesting!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 12, 2018 19:27

Hairball
Blueranger
bitusa2012
Blueranger
While I do think there are gems here, I also see the usual hyperbole....

You think there are gems, yet there;s hyperbole too...

....agreed! There are gems to be hyperbolic about!

The hyperbole is in the claims by some here, that this is what should have been released instead of what we got. Calm down, please. In a couple of months, people a tired of listening to it already. Watch this space...

I have a feeling some will enjoy these nuggets longer than they enjoyed A Bigger Bang proper. While not all are golden nuggets (Don't Stop and Keys will never be good imo), there aren't really any dirt clods except those two.
On the other hand, many dirt clods can be found on ABB which sort of tainted the album as a whole. And while there is a genuine Stonesy rawness with some of these new nuggets, ABB simply has bad/sterlized sound and some of the songs that might have been contenders have been tainted because of it.

All that said, there is a sense of hyperbole due fans being starved for anything due to deprivation, and anything is a welcome treat at this point.
The fact is this stuff is for most part pretty darn good, and it's a shame they couldn't fully finish what they started back on 2002!
Don't Stop and Keys to Your Love should have been the ones left buried, but instead they were included on a Greats Hits set.confused smiley

While I think that both tracks are not anywhere near of "great", they are - in commercial terms - the most main stream accessible tracks. Consequently, once they decided to "pollute" a Great Hits album with new tracks as a marketing tool, they've chosen the right ones.

Date: April 12, 2018 19:31

MelBelli
Very grateful that these have finally surfaced. Nothing earth-shattering, but I love hearing this stuff. Keith should’ve kept the “Flip the Switch”-style intro for “Trouble” rather than the recontexualized CYHMK riff. Mick was right: it’s interesting!

While it is interesting and very cool hearing the embryonic roots of what would eventually become Trouble, glad it was allowed to evolve gracefully and kept by Keith for his solo album. Something tells me Mick might have ultimately written lyrics about roosters, cocks, titties, and beer, etc ala Rough Justice, thereby changing the vibe completely.

rbk
Sonically it's superb. A wide, clean and deep stereo presentation as opposed to the flat, lifeless, ProTools atrocity that was "A Bigger Bang" a few years later. I read that ABB was a cut and paste job assembled at Jagger's house rather than a proper studio. What we may have with these outtakes is the last time the Stones recorded as an band until "Blue and Lonesome."

Yes, and maybe/hopefully they will use the same Blue and Lonesome approach if and when they ever get to finishing a new album. But with the two of them working separately for the most part, and by the production/sound of Mick's recent singles, might be hoping for too much.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 12, 2018 19:56

I downloaded the wetransfer, and have bo idea what it is - titles include "The Golden Mile", "Dance Mr. K", "Forty", "Heartbeat", "Identification"...

? Can someone who has this tell me if what I downloaded simply has wrong titles? There's 8 tracks on what I downloaded through that wetransfer link.

Date: April 12, 2018 20:02

IrelandCalling4
I downloaded the wetransfer, and have bo idea what it is - titles include "The Golden Mile", "Dance Mr. K", "Forty", "Heartbeat", "Identification"...

? Can someone who has this tell me if what I downloaded simply has wrong titles? There's 8 tracks on what I downloaded through that wetransfer link.

Have you listened to it yet?

Think you might have accidentally downloaded the new album from Eminem or Justin Timberlake. winking smiley

There should be nine tracks....maybe it's been taken down already?

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: April 12, 2018 20:11

IrelandCalling4

You downloaded the Undercover Sessions, which is the other set of outtakes that has been garnering a lot of attention on this board over the last few days (but was made public last year).

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 12, 2018 20:14

I also agree that "Cried Out" is very clearly the embryonic "Laugh, I Nearly Died". The feel, the tension in Mick´s melody, the chord changes, some of the lyrical touches.

I guess once you notice it, it just becomes so glaring.

"Because" is great, it definitely resembles Rock´s Off to me too Doxa. Bass saxophone, ragged harmonies, so close to being done.

Do we know what the line up is on these? DJ on bass? Chuck on keys?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 12, 2018 20:16

Loved Keith's "Trouble", a great "Keith" song, one of the best on the album.

But, even in it's embryonic stage,"Because" had the potential to be a far,far greater Rolling Stones tune. Great work by Charlie and Mick on it, even with the mumbled/unwritten yet words. Seemed a real collaborative effort to get that one done was under way. Shame it never got completed.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 12, 2018 20:21

peoplewitheyes
I also agree that "Cried Out" is very clearly the embryonic "Laugh, I Nearly Died". The feel, the tension in Mick´s melody, the chord changes, some of the lyrical touches.

I guess once you notice it, it just becomes so glaring.

"Because" is great, it definitely resembles Rock´s Off to me too Doxa. Bass saxophone, ragged harmonies, so close to being done.

Do we know what the line up is on these? DJ on bass? Chuck on keys?

Didn't jump out at me first, but once pointed out agree with you on the similarities of Cried Out and Laugh, well said.
Couldn't agree more on "Because", real shame it never got completed, wonder if Keith decided to just hold on to it or what??

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 12, 2018 20:53

ChrisL
IrelandCalling4

You downloaded the Undercover Sessions, which is the other set of outtakes that has been garnering a lot of attention on this board over the last few days (but was made public last year).

Great! I love the Undercover album but only ever heard a handful of tracks from the sessions a few years ago. That's great news, I'll be listenin' this very eve! Thanks for the info Chris

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 12, 2018 23:04

How is it possible that this thread is at about number ten in the list here on Tell Me? I for one am having a ball tonight, listening to these tracks over and again and getting into different elements each time.

Not a complete, finished 'new album' - but about as close to it as we've had in the last decade or so.

Where's Ian Billen!?

Date: April 12, 2018 23:26

peoplewitheyes
How is it possible that this thread is at about number ten in the list here on Tell Me? I for one am having a ball tonight, listening to these tracks over and again and getting into different elements each time.

Not a complete, finished 'new album' - but about as close to it as we've had in the last decade or so.

Where's Ian Billen!?

There are two threads over at Hot Stuff as well where this release is discussed.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 13, 2018 00:45

If released, "Just Before" would have been Jagger/Richards. Now it's Richards/Jordan. Interesting.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 13, 2018 03:37

I guess Just Before/Because is one of the songs where (at that stage) all the music came from Keith alone and Mick just would have had to come up with some lyrics, therefore Richards/Jordan only instead of Jagger/Richards/Jordan.

Hairball
Something tells me Mick might have ultimately written lyrics about roosters, cocks, titties, and beer, ...

Titties and the rest yes but Mick and beer? No way! Evian alright, but nowadays not even champagne, maybe. winking smiley

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: April 13, 2018 04:09

bleedingman
If released, "Just Before" would have been Jagger/Richards. Now it's Richards/Jordan. Interesting.

Yeah that is is interesting. It’s not just a case of a solo idea carrying over into the Stones — that is, Jordan’s byline On Almost Hear You Sigh and One More Shot. Mick included Keith’s byline on Lonely at the Top as it orginated from a Stones session ...

Date: April 13, 2018 05:40

Rocky Dijon
Mind you, I think it's obvious "Cried Out" is the embryonic "Laugh, I Nearly Died"

May well be (Mick would have to tell us, I guess it's his song?), there are similarities but IMHO "Cried Out" could as well exist as a song in its own right. Cried Out has a riff that isn't there in Laugh (although it sounds like I heard it before). Also the opening chord change in the verse isn't the same. In Laugh, the second chord goes down a major third, in Cried Out it's a fourth. Then both songs go follow different paths anyway. So it's rather the vibe than the music that is similar, I'd say.

But no matter what - for me, "Cried Out" is the highlight and the true standout of the bunch. Gives me the goosebumps, really!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 13, 2018 08:22

I hear Hang Fire in the opening to Just Because...anyone else??

Rod

Date: April 13, 2018 10:16

bitusa2012
I hear Hang Fire in the opening to Just Because...anyone else??

You're probably thinking of the live versions of Hang Fire?

Without Keith's intro, the Just Because-opening sounds a bit like Too Tight to me..

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 13, 2018 10:51

....like any new-to-the-ear Stones stuff... one tends for a few plays to hear the ghosts of other Stones tracks....then the brain settles and song becomes it's own ...

ROCKMAN

Date: April 13, 2018 11:32

Didn't Keith say anyway that all Stones songs are cousins to each other? Well, some may even be closer than that, rather brothers and sisters, and a few may even be the result of inbreeding ... eye popping smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 13, 2018 12:34

I wonder what The Stones think/feel about this Leak of outtakes???
Jeroen

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 13, 2018 12:41

liddas
Re Trouble:

Keith noted (from timeisonourside.com) "Right where I'm sitting now in my sunroom where I wrote it, it seemed like a real Hank Williams kind of song. But I think Waddy Wachtel pointed out to me that Hank Williams songs - that style of music - can easily be rocked up and moved up. Of course, it could be a rock and roll song! ... So here I'm doing Trouble, and I'm seeing it shifting from like 1949 to like 1958. And yeah, how would the Everlys have handled this? Or Chet Atkins? Or Hank Garland, who is also another guitar player with that kind of style? We just moved it up with the drums. Also, in the back of my mind, I always thought of Trouble in terms of Poor Jenny by the Everly Brothers".

So, one of the two:

The above quote is BS (the Stones' version ain't no Hank Williams), or

Just Before is not an early version of Trouble. Of course there are similarities, but they could be non-intentional. For sure the melody line must be Keith's idea. The credits on CH say K+J

C

So let's face it:
KEITH STOLE TROUBLE FROM THE ROLLING STONES

Jagger did right as he released 1985 "Lonely at the top" credited as jagger / richards although he developed that song much more than keith did with "trouble".

We will never know, what jagger said to that fact, as he listened to trouble first time...

Date: April 13, 2018 13:01

Rocky Dijon
I enjoy them, of course, but the most finished are the two that saw release - the two Mick and Matt brought to the band as polished demos. The others are embryonic songs. I hear potential, but apart from recognizing an early "Laugh, I Nearly Died" (which Nico had tipped us off to presumably when he first heard the tapes) and an early version of "Trouble," everything else falls into the category of "I enjoy listening to the band working through the creative process" and that's a mark of a diehard fan since others would say, "It's unfinished" and walk away. Unless we hear some of these tunes all grown up on the new album, they'll likely remain just tantalizing ideas of where they were at creatively 16 years ago.

Upon reflection, it makes sense. Mick and Matt had three finished tunes. Keith got his tune together. The rest were riffs that they spent some time working out. Since there was a good vibe, Keith and Ronnie were excited at the prospect of finishing the songs on the road. Mick's statement to the press was they weren't songs, they were just bits of songs. He was no longer interested in spending time developing Keith's ideas. They never went into the studio and after the tour, he was only interested in starting fresh with his own ideas. So they sat and some were cannibalized for Keith's solo album a dozen years later. A sad reality check of what became of Keith's creativity which many (including me) put down to writer's block. He simply lost his partner and was reluctant to produce another commercial disappointment (or worse) as he had with MAIN OFFENDER. This is the most sympathetic I've felt towards Keith since LIFE was published and I saw him in a different light.[/quote

I don't quite see it like that Rocky. One of the things that actually surprised me about the little insight we get from these tapes, is that the two do seem to be working together. And what really strikes me is that:
It was always going to be Mick and Keith.
Add Clifford, add Ronnie, Leavell, but even at this late date, on these very rough recordings, it is plain to see (hear) that there are truly only 3 people present: Mick, Keith and Charlie.
Take "Dreams" e.g. there is most likely Mick on acoustic (his song), with some changes that are NOT A to D, or some Blues shuffle. Something slightly different. So that is where we get all these early happy accidents in harmonics, while two lead guitars are searching for something good. behind a lead singer who is doing the same. And comparing Keith's search to Ron's it is so obvious who the writer is.
Those minor key ballads, the "Laugh I nearly Died's" or the one I called
"Already Over Me" in my early post (cant recall which one) are really all the same song. They are instant cashcows, Jagger tosses them off way to easily by now - and I want to believe that they may hit the cutting room floor.
I sort of don't like what we all are doing here. Analyzing the non-lyrics e.g. There are many, many 70's outtakes, as raw as this, with non sense words, one riff, that we all have accepted as beautiful outtakes, have booted over and over. But they had the luck of an earlier release. These songs came around in social media/instant gratification era, and suffer a different fate. They are expected to be brilliant from Day 1.

Don't know why my post came out looking like this. My part starts at "I don't quite see it like this.."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-13 22:35 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: April 13, 2018 13:03

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
Really good very Stonesy stuff. This exactly should be a new album. Up the audio a bit, some words.
But e.g I can hear "Just Before" turn into "Let you down slow".
"Dreams" which at this stage has a great 70's ballad charm. But I fear they would turn it into "Sweethearts Together".
"Cried Out" - hm, it's good, but Jagger does this in his sleep by now.
I actually like the unfinished-ness of "Love is a test". It wants to go over into the "Already over me" territory
Another thing that is interesting is just how many tricks they know; e.g. that stop in "Call out your name" that is a classic stop.
"U dont wanna' IMO sounds like "Doom & Gloom" precursor
I'm over thinking this. It sounds great. Love it.

Not Trouble??

Not so much. ""Trouble" seems obviously the one with Jagger and Keith talking about the intro etc beforehand. I think 'Because'.

I think we're talking past eachother here? «Just Before» (Just Because is correct) and Because are the same tune, which became Keith's «Trouble». Keith made a new intro and skipped the A minor-part for his solo album. Apart from that (and new lyrics) the songs are identical.

You are right Dandy. They are similar. Upon first listen, I just didn't hear "trouble" in the first cut as much as "Let you down slow".

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 13, 2018 13:05

interesting that this stuff is only widely circulating now because its actually been 'out there' since (at the very least) late 2014.

ie, almost a year before Keith released his solo version of one of the songs as 'Trouble'

I know 'CrossEyed Heart' was in the works for quite some time though.

Makes you wonder what other stuff is in limited circulation.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 13, 2018 13:15

deardoctor
liddas
Re Trouble:

Keith noted (from timeisonourside.com) "Right where I'm sitting now in my sunroom where I wrote it, it seemed like a real Hank Williams kind of song. But I think Waddy Wachtel pointed out to me that Hank Williams songs - that style of music - can easily be rocked up and moved up. Of course, it could be a rock and roll song! ... So here I'm doing Trouble, and I'm seeing it shifting from like 1949 to like 1958. And yeah, how would the Everlys have handled this? Or Chet Atkins? Or Hank Garland, who is also another guitar player with that kind of style? We just moved it up with the drums. Also, in the back of my mind, I always thought of Trouble in terms of Poor Jenny by the Everly Brothers".

So, one of the two:

The above quote is BS (the Stones' version ain't no Hank Williams), or

Just Before is not an early version of Trouble. Of course there are similarities, but they could be non-intentional. For sure the melody line must be Keith's idea. The credits on CH say K+J

C

So let's face it:
KEITH STOLE TROUBLE FROM THE ROLLING STONES

Jagger did right as he released 1985 "Lonely at the top" credited as jagger / richards although he developed that song much more than keith did with "trouble".

We will never know, what jagger said to that fact, as he listened to trouble first time...

Songwriting credit isn't really an issue until the song is copyrighted or officially released - which the Stones version of this never was. They bring their own demos into a Stones session. This one was evidently one that Mick had no part in writing, in which case theres no reason to give him a songwriting credit. Had the Stones released it, it would have been credited to Jagger-Richards (as per their long standing agreement) or quite possibly Jagger-Richards-Jordan if he had contributed to the music

Its quite likely that Keith may have written a substantial chunk of the version of 'Lonely at the top' (ie, the lyrics) that the Stones recorded in Nassau in 1979, hence his credit as a co-writer on Mick's solo version.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home