Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 12 of 17
Re: OT:Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 6, 2018 19:39

Toxic34
keefriff99
Toxic34
RollingFreak
Didn't work with Steely Dan, the Eagles or a handful of other big name bands but hey, maybe Fleetwood Mac will be the exception! Doubtful, but here's hoping. This works and its just another nail in the coffin of band integrity and sign of things to come.

What exactly are your referring to here? You know that the Eagles have not only survived but thrived, first without Felder, and now without Glenn. All their venues have sold out.
He means people haven't woken up to the fact that these bands have lost critical members and yet are still touring.

Felder wasn't a critical member in the way Glenn Frey was. He's "Fingers" and nothing more. He can't write complete songs by himself, only riffs, can't sing well, and basically has no personality in the way Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit have. Steuart Smith plays exactly the same, so nothing is lost. Now Glenn Frey is a completely different matter, but I was absolutely astounded the way Deacon and Vince Gill have really stepped up and add something very new and different and have proven that there is still life for the Eagles.

Regarding FM, I'm not sure. The Ellen performance certainly seemed to augur an inauspicious start to this new lineup, but they could easily get their act together when the tour starts. There's also the chance that Lindsey will end up back in the fold in some manner within a year or two.
Hey, take it up with RollingFreak...I was just clarifying what you asked, lol

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 6, 2018 19:46

Toxic34
keefriff99
Toxic34
RollingFreak
Didn't work with Steely Dan, the Eagles or a handful of other big name bands but hey, maybe Fleetwood Mac will be the exception! Doubtful, but here's hoping. This works and its just another nail in the coffin of band integrity and sign of things to come.

What exactly are your referring to here? You know that the Eagles have not only survived but thrived, first without Felder, and now without Glenn. All their venues have sold out.
He means people haven't woken up to the fact that these bands have lost critical members and yet are still touring.

Felder wasn't a critical member in the way Glenn Frey was. He's "Fingers" and nothing more. He can't write complete songs by himself, only riffs, can't sing well, and basically has no personality in the way Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit have. Steuart Smith plays exactly the same, so nothing is lost. Now Glenn Frey is a completely different matter, but I was absolutely astounded the way Deacon and Vince Gill have really stepped up and add something very new and different and have proven that there is still life for the Eagles.

Regarding FM, I'm not sure. The Ellen performance certainly seemed to augur an inauspicious start to this new lineup, but they could easily get their act together when the tour starts. There's also the chance that Lindsey will end up back in the fold in some manner within a year or two.

Before Glenn died no one would have EVER said there could be an Eagles without him. Since his death people have minimized everything about him, and maybe rightly, but the point is no one would have accepted that before his death. They said as much when he died, which was stupid because then when money came calling they came right back. They don't have to be "the Eagles". They are because it sells tickets. There's a way to be respectful and tour as something else (your own names are big enough) but they don't want to. And thats half on them and half on the audience, who for some reason accept the Eagles more in the same lineup as if they toured under their own names but as long as its called the Eagles. They want to be able to have a ticket that says they technically saw the Eagles. Its super strange and its why, congrats, people have changed the way bands feel the need to tour. Cause it worked, so everyone jumped on. People will justify it any way they want (as you have with Felder means nothing yet its admirable they continue without Frey. Whatever helps fans sleep at night) and I don't mind that they do that. Its just always funny that they can't ever admit they are doing it.

We've said it here a million times before but if they were not as old and Charlie Watts left at another time the Stones would 100% continue without him. And 90% of people would accept it, despite the fact that people pretend now its unthinkable. Whatever makes them happy I suppose. Fleetwood Mac is no different and they know they can get away with it as long as Stevie is there and that this tour sells more than a solo Stevie Nicks tour would, despite the fact that she's really the only one most care about seeing. And yes, Lindsey will be back for their inevitable farewell tour.

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: September 6, 2018 19:52

I didn't say that this is continuing the Eagles as it was, but if it seems that I did, then that's on me. I meant that Deacon and Gill bring something new and different. By definition, this is an all new Eagles. Henley, Walsh and Schmit aren't saying this is the old Eagles. Glenn Frey indeed was too essential to the old Eagles, whereas Felder was not. And of course, Walsh and Schmit brought something different compared to Leadon and Meisner, making it yet another new Eagles. Thus, it is the cycle as before. A new iteration springs up, but proves itself just as worthy of the name. The only case where there was absolutely no difference in removing and replacing was Felder, because there simply is nothing Felder does that Steuart Smith can't also do.

Date: September 6, 2018 20:03

Toxic34
I didn't say that this is continuing the Eagles as it was, but if it seems that I did, then that's on me. I meant that Deacon and Gill bring something new and different. By definition, this is an all new Eagles. Henley, Walsh and Schmit aren't saying this is the old Eagles. Glenn Frey indeed was too essential to the old Eagles, whereas Felder was not. And of course, Walsh and Schmit brought something different compared to Leadon and Meisner, making it yet another new Eagles. Thus, it is the cycle as before. A new iteration springs up, but proves itself just as worthy of the name. The only case where there was absolutely no difference in removing and replacing was Felder, because there simply is nothing Felder does that Steuart Smith can't also do.

Lol we're just gonna get into an argument over semantics here. "Henley and co aren't saying this is the old Eagles." What??!! They are touring as The Eagles. Thats all you need to know. Thats why the Who tour as The Who, the Stones as the Stones, and so on and so on. They are saying this is a part of the story now and they know thats where the money is. If this isn't the old Eagles then call it something else. They won't because they want money and people wouldn't accept it, even if it was the exact same band members. And thats on the public's fault but its what makes them stupid. And the argument that there have been other "new Eagles" in the past. Respectfully, cut the BS. We all know that there was a 10 year period the band was active and relevant and anyone in that timespan is "the Eagles". Everyone knows who The Eagles are, everyone knows who the real Fleetwood Mac is, everyone knows who the real AC/DC are. If others don't have a problem supporting bands that are limping on, thats fine. But don't make excuses. Steuart Smith sure sounds exactly the same but he didn't write the music. Someone could replace Keith Richards and sound the same or better but obviously we don't want that. He wrote the songs! Thats why we all wanted Mick Taylor to play the songs HE wrote! Again, I'm not judging however you feel, but just call a spade a spade.

If you like what Deacon and Vince have added to the Eagles, thats great. I'm genuinely happy people enjoy it. Thats not the Eagles but who am I to say that. All I can say is if people accept that, I feel like you have to accept all of it. I find it silly to find faults with something like Fleetwood Mac yet not the Eagles. Its all the same thing, its bands continuing without key members. I don't see how some convince themselves some work and some don't but hey, its what makes horse races. If any of this sounds confrontational its not meant to. I'm genuinely curious about people's opinions on this topic. I don't agree with your points but its just interesting to hear them said.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 6, 2018 21:09

Where does Deep Purple fit into this? They've gone through so many different lineups, I've lost track. The only versions I like are Mk I, II, and III, and maybe a couple of tunes when Tommy Bolin was in the band, but many love the version that exists today without Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord, and evidently they're still somewhat successful touring arenas and recording material. And while the fans and press have attempted to separate the numerous versions with the Mk I, II, III, etc., the band still exists simply as Deep Purple just as they always have, never changing their name.

*Just found an article that pieces the puzzle together, and have to say it's quite a quagmire,

Deep Purple Lineup Changes: A Complete Guide

"Perhaps more than any other rock band, Deep Purple proved that a group of musicians could undergo consistent and even traumatic turnover,
yet still achieve remarkable success over a long span of time".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-06 21:10 by Hairball.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: September 6, 2018 21:41

I thought they sounded just great; will consider going to see them when the tour hits the UK now.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 6, 2018 22:28

Enjoyed the new Eagles despite almost not wanting too - it was a good show. Feel differently about Mac - one reason is that I saw them to hear Buckingham play and sing whereas Eagles I just want to hear the songs and see Joe Walsh really. Also, different feeling after a death vs. someone booted out.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 6, 2018 23:17

Send It To me
Enjoyed the new Eagles despite almost not wanting too - it was a good show. Feel differently about Mac - one reason is that I saw them to hear Buckingham play and sing whereas Eagles I just want to hear the songs and see Joe Walsh really. Also, different feeling after a death vs. someone booted out.

i saw 1 of the last history of the eagles shows. it was very good. joe walsh totally stole the show. absolutely stunning on guitar & vocals. even "pretty maids in a row"!

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: September 7, 2018 01:44

I don't think I'd want to see the new Eagles, even if they're good. Glenn was the Eagles. But if you'd never seen them before or don't care that there's a key personality and spirit missing, then it's going to be a good show. Glenn might have continued the Eagles if Don had become unavailable, so it's fair. I wouldn't see that show, either.

It may be down to who has the rights to the band name. Steely Dan is fighting that battle in court right now. Fleetwood and McVie were the founding members and may have taken the extra step of securing those rights legally. They can have whoever they want in their band and always have. The fans get the final vote. I still think Neil Finn in particular is a bad fit, but I like Neil without this blip in his career.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 7, 2018 04:22

OK, I finally watched these two performances...
AWFUL.

I wonder how long Christine will hang around this caravan of crud.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 7, 2018 04:41

She's singing lines like, "If you don't love me now, you will never love me again," and she's looking at the new guy, as if to suggest that there's some sort of chemistry or history between them when there obviously is none. She's like some aging actress, working with an understudy and playing her part so unconvincingly that I couldn't even get halfway through it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-07 04:48 by tatters.

Date: September 7, 2018 05:58

If you mean Stevie, yes, she's giving off a slight Norma Desmond vibe. Her voice is also starting to sound like an off-key older Marianne Faithfull wannabe, minus the cool factor.

Date: September 7, 2018 06:33

Via Fleetwood Macs facebook ...

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA (September 5, 2018) – Due to overwhelming demand, Fleetwood Mac has added a third date
– Saturday, December 15 – at the “Fabulous” Forum in Inglewood, Calif. to the band’s North American tour.

Overwhelming demand? There's still hundreds/thousands of tickets available for the first two shows, and that's not counting all resale and secondary market tix!
Who are they trying to fool?!!!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 17, 2018 22:01

Mick Fleetwood Talks Moving Forward Without Lindsey Buckingham, Working a Tom Petty Tune Into Fleetwood Mac's Setlist

9/13/2018 by Gary Graff

Matt Baron/Shutterstock

[www.billboard.com]

Date: October 4, 2018 19:55

First show last night. Discuss amongst yourselves. I thought it was kinda pathetic.

1. The Chain
2. Little Lies
3. Dreams
4. Second Hand News (Neil Finn on lead vocals)
5. Say You Love Me
6. Black Magic Woman (First time since 1987; Stevie Nicks on lead vocals)
7. Everywhere
8. I Got You (Split Enz cover) (Live debut by FM; Neil Finn on lead vocals)
9. Rhiannon
10. Tell Me All the Things You Do (First time since 1977; Neil Finn on lead vocals)
11. Storms (First time since 2009)
12. World Turning
13. Hypnotized (First time since 1977; Neil Finn on lead vocals)
14. Oh Well
15. Don't Dream It's Over (Crowded House cover) (live debut by FM, Neil Finn on lead vocals)
16. Landslide
17. Isn't It Midnight (First time since 1990)
18. Monday Morning (First time since 2009)
19. You Make Loving Fun
20. Gold Dust Woman
21. Go Your Own Way

Encore:
22. Free Fallin' (Tom Petty cover)
23. Don't Stop
24. All Over Again (Live debut)

Date: October 4, 2018 20:18

Pathetic might be too strong a word.

Deplorable...again, maybe a bit too strong.

Wretched...perhaps way too strong a word.

Despicable...again way too strong.

Hmmm....

Maybe lamentable and woeful are appropriate, with a touch of ridiculous thrown in....

Date: October 4, 2018 20:35

Do you mean the whole charade of touring is pathetic, or the setlist?

Honestly, the setlist is more adventurous than it has any right being at this point in their career. They might not sound great but at least they're digging into the catalogue.

Date: October 4, 2018 20:40

I guess pointless is the most appropriate word I can think of. It very clearly looks like a sinking ship band that is desperately trying to plug holes. That might be too harsh, but it just seems like all the changes made to the set weren't really for the better. I don't go to a Fleetwood Mac show to hear Neil Finn songs, and the things they decided to bring back weren't anything that special.

Posted by: woody ()
Date: October 4, 2018 21:29

Come Back Lindsey.
I have just seen the GREEDY prices for The Eagles U.K. Tour.
WOW.

Date: October 4, 2018 21:33

They might not be doing that great with Lindsey still in the band, either (especially given Stevie's decline). But at least it would be recognizable as the hit machine people pay for.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: October 4, 2018 21:40

RollingFreak
I guess pointless is the most appropriate word I can think of. It very clearly looks like a sinking ship band that is desperately trying to plug holes. That might be too harsh, but it just seems like all the changes made to the set weren't really for the better. I don't go to a Fleetwood Mac show to hear Neil Finn songs, and the things they decided to bring back weren't anything that special.

Pointless is the word. Interesting how they included "Second Hand News" and "Monday Morning" - I figured they would do "Go Your Own Way," but why the other Buckingham-penned songs (guess it would have meant more Split Enz or Crowded House tunes otherwise!)

As for Free Fallin', I read in Mike Campbell's recent Rolling Stone interview that he objected to it because he's played it so many times...yet Stevie convinced him to do it because, in her words, "The crowd will love it. It’ll be a moment." Kind of sums up the whole thing now with "Stevie Nicks' Fleetwood Mac."

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: October 4, 2018 22:25

What was the turnout? Was the show sold out? Was the audience enthusiastic? How did the crowd respond to the lesser known tunes, etc.? Very curious.

OT: Fleetwood Mac
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 4, 2018 22:38

Fleetwood Mac debuts new members, pays tribute to Tom Petty during tour launch in Tulsa

By Jimmie Tramel Tulsa World

IAN MAULE/Tulsa World

[www.tulsaworld.com]

Date: October 4, 2018 22:57

Jah Paul
As for Free Fallin', I read in Mike Campbell's recent Rolling Stone interview that he objected to it because he's played it so many times...yet Stevie convinced him to do it because, in her words, "The crowd will love it. It’ll be a moment." Kind of sums up the whole thing now with "Stevie Nicks' Fleetwood Mac."
Wow, now THAT'S pathetic. At least let Mike pick the Petty song. There's like 70 of them that are recognizable to everyone. Damn, all they care about is an illusion.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 5, 2018 01:18

I really do not care about this topic but I do wonder why "Gypsy" is not in the setlist. Song owns a great guitar outro solo.

Date: October 5, 2018 03:03

Chris Fountain
I really do not care about this topic but I do wonder why "Gypsy" is not in the setlist. Song owns a great guitar outro solo.

Its shocking stuff like Gypsy and Silver Springs and others aren't there yet many classic Lindsey tunes are. I get having to keep Go Your Own Way but there was zero need to include Secondhand News and Monday Morning and others. Play other deep stuff from the people still in the band, which they barely did. I don't wanna see the show at all, but I'd rather see Stevie Nicks sing Gypsy than someone pretend to be Lindsey Buckingham and play Monday Morning.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: October 5, 2018 07:06

I’m torn on this. Neil is my favorite songwriter on earth, and I’d much rather see him doing his own thing. But he’s very clearly having the time of his life up there, and this potentially brings his songs to a wider audience.

Most of the things which I find odd about the production itself, though, are the same things which were odd in ‘13-‘15 - i.e. a 5 piece backing band needed to support the 5 piece actual band. Buckingham is still a monster on the guitar but all 3 of them are pretty much at the end of their rope vocally.

I’m sure it’s a great night out if you don’t think too hard about it. They’ve been more than that in their day, though.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 5, 2018 10:06

tommycharles
I’m torn on this. Neil is my favorite songwriter on earth, and I’d much rather see him doing his own thing. But he’s very clearly having the time of his life up there, and this potentially brings his songs to a wider audience.

Most of the things which I find odd about the production itself, though, are the same things which were odd in ‘13-‘15 - i.e. a 5 piece backing band needed to support the 5 piece actual band. Buckingham is still a monster on the guitar but all 3 of them are pretty much at the end of their rope vocally.

I’m sure it’s a great night out if you don’t think too hard about it. They’ve been more than that in their day, though.

Wish I could see the short Neil & Liam Finn tour in January. It's a family affair with wife Sharon & other son Elroy in the band. They are playing a cool venue in Bristol. Old church converted to venue, about 600 seats. I'll have to get my Neil fix with the Mac in November. I think the set list looks interesting. Can't wait!

Date: October 5, 2018 15:18

Mick's drum kit is absolutely beautiful.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 5, 2018 16:47

...big Nicks fan...but I am not finding her recent performances compelling...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 12 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1993
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home