Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 14 of 17
Re: OT: Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 11, 2018 16:42

I don't at all fault Campbell. Its unfortunate, but his musical brother in arms died far too early Mike is still relatively young, he's gotta do something. Or obviously wants to keep doing something. Fleetwood Mac came along and he took the gig, he didn't have anything else really going on. I don't fault him for one second. He was Tom Petty's right hand man, when thats not there anymore you gotta find something else and this came knockin. Its gonna happen anyway, I'd rather the paycheck goes to a stand up guy like Mike than someone else. Any respect I had for him is perfectly intact. Fleetwood Mac on the other hand, and particularly Stevie... I still like and listen to their music and respect their art but as people I'm sickened by their actions.

Posted by: woody ()
Date: October 11, 2018 20:36

Shameful tretment of Lindsey. SHAME on you mick

Posted by: woody ()
Date: October 11, 2018 20:37

Treatment

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 11, 2018 20:46

RoughJusticeOnYa
BowieStone
Buckingham smirks while Nicks speeches, so he's out and they become the worlds most expensive tribute band.

I remember the last tour before Christine re-joined.
Nicks was rambling on for about 20 minutes before singing 'Without You'.
And it was so incoherent even the audience was laughing.
So no, you can't blame Buckingham for a smirk.

Funny; I remember this exactly as well. It was in Antwerp, Belgium; and the audience there was laughing at first... but soon became very iritated. (and rightfully so. Cringeworthy it was!)

Same thing in Paris in October 2013, first an 8'15" rambling story about a lost song and then 2'30" of a shopping outing for Karl Lagerfeld boots in Paris, it was a total embarrassment !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-12 00:46 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 11, 2018 23:28

So, he decides to sue Fleetwood Mac.

Good for him, hope he wins.

Lindsey Buckingham Sues Fleetwood Mac Over Dismissal From Band
Musician alleges breach of fiduciary duty, breach of oral contract and intentional interference with prospective economic advantage
By ANDY GREENE

Lindsey Buckingham has filed a lawsuit against Fleetwood Mac for breach of fiduciary duty, breach of oral contract and intentional interference with prospective economic advantage, according to legal documents obtained by US Weekly. The group parted ways with Buckingham in January and replaced him with Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell and Neil Finn of Crowded House. The lawsuit states that he asked the group to postpone their tour three months so he could play shows with his solo band. He says plans were in place for the Rumours-era lineup to play 60 shows across North America when he was let go without warning.

“Last January, Fleetwood Mac made the decision to continue to tour without me,” Buckingham said in a statement to Rolling Stone regarding the suit. “I remain deeply surprised and saddened, as this decision ends the beautiful 43-year legacy we built together. Over the last eight months, our many efforts to come to an agreement have unfortunately proved elusive. I’m looking forward to closure, and will always remain proud of all that we created, and what that legacy represents.”
A spokesperson for Fleetwood Mac provided Rolling Stone with a statement on the lawsuit: “It’s impossible for the band to offer comment on a legal complaint they have not seen. It’s fairly standard legal procedure to service the complaint to the parties involved, something that neither Mr. Buckingham nor his legal counsel have done. Which makes one wonder what the true motivations are when servicing press first with a legal complaint before the parties in dispute.”
Buckingham left Fleetwood Mac for the first time in 1987 shortly after the release of their hit album Tango in the Night, but he re-joined in 1996 along with the rest of the Rumours-era lineup for the highly-lucrative Dance reunion album and tour. He remained in the lineup over the next two decades, though old tensions remained, especially in the past few years when Stevie Nicks refused to record a new album with the band.
“I don’t think there’s any reason to spend a year and an amazing amount of money on a record that, even if it has great things, isn’t going to sell,” Nicks told Rolling Stone last year. “What we do is go on the road, do a ton of shows and make lots of money. We have a lot of fun. Making a record isn’t all that much fun.”

Buckingham had a very different read on the situation and wanted the band to be an ongoing creative unit. In 2012, he attempted to rally the group to record a new album, but was unable to get anything more together than a four-song EP. “Stevie wasn’t really into doing it,” he told Rolling Stone. “She wasn’t into it at all. But I went ahead and got John [McVie] and Mick [Fleetwood] over from Hawaii and we cut eight new songs of mine. All of them were done in the proper key for Stevie’s voice, if she were to sing the songs…That didn’t happen. I really just think she didn’t want to do an album.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-11 23:30 by BowieStone.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 12, 2018 00:47

What is the corporate structure of that band? Mick has said he's extended full membership to Finn and Campbell, so presumably Buckingham has had the same.

Since the band is discussing recording new material with the latest members, while one member refused to record with Buckingham for over five years, that could be part of the basis of the suit. If their tour isn't selling as well as past tours, that could be another. It could be settled out of court or drag on for years.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: October 12, 2018 01:12

marianna
What is the corporate structure of that band? Mick has said he's extended full membership to Finn and Campbell, so presumably Buckingham has had the same.

Since the band is discussing recording new material with the latest members, while one member refused to record with Buckingham for over five years, that could be part of the basis of the suit. If their tour isn't selling as well as past tours, that could be another. It could be settled out of court or drag on for years.

Not certain of the exact corporate structure, but according to a post I read on a Fleetwood Mac site (citing the court documents), Buckingham claims the other "Partners" wrongfully excluded him from the tour and usurped the "Fleetwood Mac Partnership." Apparently all five "Partners" had long signed on to do the current tour - finalizing the agreement in 2017.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 12, 2018 01:33

Dan
Lindsey Buckingham Orpheum Theatre Los Angeles tix $6 or so on secondary market.

Thanks for the tip, just bought a nice pair.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 12, 2018 01:55

Interesting to read that lawsuit, a worse version of Felder's dismissal by the Eagles and...surprise surprise Azoff is at the helm again.

A few items of note :
- When McVie was diagnosed with cancer it's Buckingham who insisted they postpone the tour when others wanted to replace him
- in his email to Fleetwood he says he didn't contact Christine initially because he though she might be "fragile", what's up there ?
- $12 to $14 million for 60 shows so that's about $1 million per show for the band.

Anyway one can only hope that they get what they deserve and fade away like they did after 1987 and get punished financially to boot.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 12, 2018 02:04

'It's only rock 'n roll...'

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 12, 2018 03:30

"Breach of oral contract"

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think that holds much water in court.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 12, 2018 04:44

If nothing else, Lyndsey has unleashed a nasty dark cloud over the current FM tour (if there wasn't one already), and it's bound to result in many headaches.

Wondering about the Steely Dan saga regarding the lawsuit between Becker's family and Donald Fagan over the use of the name...is it still lingering?

Date: October 12, 2018 05:12

mosthigh
"Breach of oral contract"

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think that holds much water in court.

Other sites hint it was a formal contract, but that line in the lawsuit shows maybe it wasn't.

The band indulged Stevie Nicks by allowing her to make rambling monologues for years, but then bullied her behind her back with gestures and sound effects (from what I've read on this and other boards). Why abuse their audience that way? No one comes off as a mature adult in this.

Date: October 12, 2018 05:22

Sound effects...smiling smiley

I remember when I saw them several years back she was rambling on and on about something (becoming a hippie in the '60's or something like that?), but I didn't get to hear any sound effects!

Date: October 12, 2018 05:33

Hairball

I remember when I saw them several years back she was rambling on and on about something (becoming a hippie in the '60's or something like that?), but I didn't get to hear any sound effects!

Me neither. When I saw them at The Forum in 2014, she told a long story before "Gypsy" - Christine and John sat on the floor behind Christine's keyboard and chatted, and I don't remember Lindsey doing anything...actually, the rest of the band was in the shadows while she spoke (lights only on her), so he might not even have been on stage until they were ready to start the song.

Date: October 12, 2018 06:04

Jah Paul
Hairball

Me neither. When I saw them at The Forum in 2014, she told a long story before "Gypsy" - Christine and John sat on the floor behind Christine's keyboard and chatted, and I don't remember Lindsey doing anything...actually, the rest of the band was in the shadows while she spoke (lights only on her), so he might not even have been on stage until they were ready to start the song.

We might have been at the same show, and out of curiosity just looked through my email folder of all concert tickets purchased.

I attended the Dec 6, 2014 show at the Forum, and enjoyed it so much I saw them again when they returned to the Forum on April 14, 2015!

Don't recall hearing any sound effects at either show!

Date: October 12, 2018 06:14

Hairball
We might have been at the same show, and out of curiosity just looked through my email folder of all concert tickets purchased.

I attended the Dec 6, 2014 show at the Forum, and enjoyed it so much I saw them again when they returned to the Forum on April 14, 2015!

Don't recall hearing any sound effects at either show!

I was at the November 29th show...wish I had gone to another one that tour, considering what's happened now. Never saw the Rumours-era lineup back in the day, so 2014 was it for me.

Date: October 12, 2018 07:33

Yeah same here Jah Paul - those were my first and last times seeing the classic Rumours lineup.

I did have tickets to see them in 2009 or 2010 (sans Christine), but went on a spur of the moment trip to Hawaii with my wife, and ended up giving the tickets away to some friends who said they had a great time!

Really a shame the way this has all played out - had Lindsey still been in the band I would have gone to see them again in an instant. And if Stevie would have been more willing a year or so ago, they probably would have had a new album to go with it! I do recall Lindsey saying at one of the Forum shows that they were so grateful to have Christine back, and they were already writing new material for a Fleetwood Mac album...was never to be.

Date: October 12, 2018 08:11

Hairball
Yeah same here Jah Paul - those were my first and last times seeing the classic Rumours lineup.

I did have tickets to see them in 2009 or 2010 (sans Christine), but went on a spur of the moment trip to Hawaii with my wife, and ended up giving the tickets away to some friends who said they had a great time!

Really a shame the way this has all played out - had Lindsey still been in the band I would have gone to see them again in an instant. And if Stevie would have been more willing a year or so ago, they probably would have had a new album to go with it! I do recall Lindsey saying at one of the Forum shows that they were so grateful to have Christine back, and they were already writing new material for a Fleetwood Mac album...was never to be.

The only other time I saw them was in December 1990 at The Forum (Lindsey had left in '87, of course)...it was supposed to be Stevie and Christine's last show with the band as they were "retiring from the road." It was a good concert and Lindsey's two replacements were fine, but something was missing. Fortunately, he showed up as a special guest in the middle of the show for "Landslide" (see video link below) and came back later for "Go Your Own Way" - so at least I saw the classic lineup for two songs! Even though Lindsey had left, at least they were all on good terms back then.

I was definitely all set to see them this year - it would have been a great time.

Landslide (Forum - 12/7/90)
video: [youtu.be]

Date: October 12, 2018 08:27

Farewells from the 12/7/90 concert (with Lindsey)...kind of weird to see after all these years.

video: [youtu.be]

Date: October 12, 2018 09:45

The reports of guitar and drum sounds were on the Ledge board (from whatever concerts those fans attended). It sounded like a Henny Youngman thing, trying to turn her into a comedy act, but could have been an attempt to get the show going again. There are people who just don't shut up, but if the band lived with it that long, there's no point in being rude. If Stevie reads that board, it could have planted ideas in her mind. People also posted links of fan videos taken at the Musicares event and pointed out the behavior that was taking place behind her.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 12, 2018 09:58

Buckingham sues Band!

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Posted by: ash ()
Date: October 12, 2018 10:14

mnewman505
I haven't been able to bring myself to watch any vidoes of the new line up.

me either. I can't believe Peter would walk away like that.

Date: October 12, 2018 10:34

ash
mnewman505

thumbs up grinning smiley thumbs up

Date: October 12, 2018 11:22

ash
mnewman505

Peter Green?

The FM story is an ongoing soap opera. By contrast, The Stones are pretty boring,

Date: October 12, 2018 11:26

Date: October 12, 2018 11:31

Aah....now thats what its all about.
Great footage!

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: October 12, 2018 11:59

Chris Fountain
Buckingham sues Band!

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

I think it was inevitable. prediction it will be an out of court settlement without disclosing the amount Buckingham will get.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 12, 2018 12:26

I always think Lindsey is on a par with Don Henley; a great musician, but a bit of a malcontent. In another context, you couldn't put them in a room together, or with the former Man Utd / Ireland footballer, Roy Keane.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 12, 2018 13:22

DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 14 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2016
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home