Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 13 of 17
Re: OT:Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham
Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: October 5, 2018 19:38

crholmstrom
Wish I could see the short Neil & Liam Finn tour in January. It's a family affair with wife Sharon & other son Elroy in the band. They are playing a cool venue in Bristol. Old church converted to venue, about 600 seats. I'll have to get my Neil fix with the Mac in November. I think the set list looks interesting. Can't wait!

Are you in Bristol? Did you happen to see the Crowdies gig at Thekla back in '07?

Agreed that it would be great to see the Neil & Liam tour. Their album could have used an upbeat track or two but it's a great collection of songs.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 6, 2018 07:44

tommycharles
crholmstrom
Wish I could see the short Neil & Liam Finn tour in January. It's a family affair with wife Sharon & other son Elroy in the band. They are playing a cool venue in Bristol. Old church converted to venue, about 600 seats. I'll have to get my Neil fix with the Mac in November. I think the set list looks interesting. Can't wait!

Are you in Bristol? Did you happen to see the Crowdies gig at Thekla back in '07?

Agreed that it would be great to see the Neil & Liam tour. Their album could have used an upbeat track or two but it's a great collection of songs.

No, I live in Seattle. 1 of my best friends lives in Bristol (England) & got tickets. Jealous. I'm seeing Fleetwood Mac in Seattle next month. I watched a few youtube vids from FM opening night. I thought they sounded pretty good, given its first night. Mike Campbell is smokin' on Black Magic Woman & Neil Finn did a lovely Dont Dream Its Over (with a little help from Stevie). & Free Fallin' seemed like it was from the heart. Definitely not the disaster that the show with Earth Wind & Fire was.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 6, 2018 08:41

I would absolutely think it sounds good. Thats never really the problem with these bands. I think just as someone that is all for authenticity when possible, this seems desperate. But I no doubt think it sounds good. I just can't get on board with it and the setlist didn't do much to sway me.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 6, 2018 17:51

RollingFreak
I would absolutely think it sounds good. Thats never really the problem with these bands. I think just as someone that is all for authenticity when possible, this seems desperate. But I no doubt think it sounds good. I just can't get on board with it and the setlist didn't do much to sway me.

Of course, Gypsy is not in the set list, How could it be? Anyway, as a casual FM observer, LB and CM are the cornerstones of this dynamic group. - LB should have fired FM.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: October 6, 2018 18:52

Chris Fountain
RollingFreak

Of course, Gypsy is not in the set list, How could it be? Anyway, as a casual FM observer, LB and CM are the cornerstones of this dynamic group. - LB should have fired FM.

They played Gypsy on the "Ellen" show last month...Campbell was on keyboards (two-finger) for part of it (?!) and there was no guitar solo at the end. IMHO, it merely emphasized Lindsey's absence and it's not surprising they dropped it.

I'm sure the new lineup sounds fine - I'm a huge Mike Campbell fan, but I don't want to see him in Fleetwood Mac any more than I would have wanted to see Lindsey in the Heartbreakers. Like RollingFreak, I'm all for authenticity when possible.

Last thing...it figures they would do Isn't It Midnight on this tour (co-written by CM/LB ) - don't think they've ever done that one on stage with Lindsey...his solo at the end has always been one of my favorites.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 6, 2018 21:39

Just been listening to Lindsey's solo anthology; maybe, just maybe, he doesn't need the Fleetwood Mac gig ?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 6, 2018 21:43

tomcasagranda
Just been listening to Lindsey's solo anthology; maybe, just maybe, he doesn't need the Fleetwood Mac gig ?
Define "need".

Certainly not from an artistic perspective, but to go from playing arenas to theaters...maybe his ego needs the big-name band.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 6, 2018 21:50

The band is releasing a 50 year retrospective collection, which includes songs written by and performed by two late members (Kirwan and Welch). They include a few of those songs in their set. Do they have any slide show tributes to either of them as they do for non-member Tom Petty?

Date: October 6, 2018 23:10

keefriff99
tomcasagranda
Define "need".

Certainly not from an artistic perspective, but to go from playing arenas to theaters...maybe his ego needs the big-name band.

Mike Campbell alluded to this in his recent Rolling Stone interview...not sure if it's just an ego thing, but simply what you've been used to for decades.

Fleetwood’s offer to make Campbell a full member of the storied Southern California band — not a hired hand — was both exciting and daunting. “I thought I’d never play big gigs again,” Campbell says. “I thought I’d never be on the G4 [private jet] again, and I’d never again play the Forum. Then all of a sudden, I’m like, ‘What the @#$%&? How did this happen?’?”

[www.rollingstone.com]

The interview gives a lot of insight on how Mike has dealt with Tom's passing - I'm glad he's got another gig to keep him busy for a while.

Date: October 7, 2018 01:03

marianna
The band is releasing a 50 year retrospective collection, which includes songs written by and performed by two late members (Kirwan and Welch). They include a few of those songs in their set. Do they have any slide show tributes to either of them as they do for non-member Tom Petty?

Not to my knowledge, and the cynic in me would say because people don't know them the way everyone knows Tom Petty. And if there is, I'm sure its in band photos and not dedicated shots like Petty. Again, the cynic in me would say they're doing the Petty thing obviously because of Mike and that Stevie loved Tom, but also because they just know its good press. Its an easy gimmick. Anyone with a heart is gonna get emotional seeing pics of Petty, thats just human nature. I do think there's more of an illusion around it than a genuine desire. But again, I could be totally wrong and look like an idiot and maybe they do do it for Kirwan and Green and Welch.

Re: OT: Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham
Date: October 7, 2018 11:20

There's a great "new" song on the recent Petty box set with Stevie called "The Apartment Song".

Date: October 7, 2018 14:52

crholmstrom
There's a great "new" song on the recent Petty box set with Stevie called "The Apartment Song".

the non stevie version of this song was already issued in 1995 so even the song itself isn't unheard

Date: October 7, 2018 16:25

keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom

the non stevie version of this song was already issued in 1995 so even the song itself isn't unheard

lot of good stuff on that Petty collection though. it was done right for that sort of thing. good liner notes from Mike Campbell & Benmont Tench, too.

Date: October 7, 2018 17:22

keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom

Isn't that a song on Full Moon Fever?

Date: October 7, 2018 18:17

RollingFreak
keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom

Isn't that a song on Full Moon Fever?

it is. there are now 3 versions out there. the song was originally meant for the southern accents album

Date: October 7, 2018 18:22

keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom

The one issued in 1995 on "Playback" is the Stevie version (demo recorded in 1984).

The non-Stevie version is on "Full Moon Fever" (1989).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-07 18:22 by Jah Paul.

Date: October 7, 2018 19:43

Jah Paul
keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom

The one issued in 1995 on "Playback" is the Stevie version (demo recorded in 1984).

The non-Stevie version is on "Full Moon Fever" (1989).

oh got it. haven't purchased the new tom petty set yet and couldn't remember if she was on the 1995 playback demo

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: October 7, 2018 20:44

crholmstrom
No, I live in Seattle. 1 of my best friends lives in Bristol (England) & got tickets. Jealous. I'm seeing Fleetwood Mac in Seattle next month. I watched a few youtube vids from FM opening night. I thought they sounded pretty good, given its first night. Mike Campbell is smokin' on Black Magic Woman & Neil Finn did a lovely Dont Dream Its Over (with a little help from Stevie). & Free Fallin' seemed like it was from the heart. Definitely not the disaster that the show with Earth Wind & Fire was.

I've been impressed with the videos from Tulsa and Chicago too. Finn and Campbell are settling in nicely. I Got You in particular sounds great.

Funny - I grew up in the UK but am now in Seattle myself as it happens. Looking forward to the Tacoma Dome gig.

Date: October 7, 2018 21:04

tommycharles
crholmstrom

I've been impressed with the videos from Tulsa and Chicago too. Finn and Campbell are settling in nicely. I Got You in particular sounds great.

Funny - I grew up in the UK but am now in Seattle myself as it happens. Looking forward to the Tacoma Dome gig.

I splurged on this show & got really good tickets. on the side, close to the floor, about a section from the stage. good viewing angle. my friend & i are both huge neil finn fans. & mike campbell too. did you listen to black magic woman? wow, on the lead guitar!

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: October 8, 2018 18:07

I haven't been able to bring myself to watch any vidoes of the new line up.

Date: October 11, 2018 04:41

New interview with Lindsey Buckingham...

[www.rollingstone.com]

...as some suspected here, Stevie didn't want to be on stage with him ever again and gave the rest of the band an "Either he goes or I go" ultimatum.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 11, 2018 04:53

Wow...she's something else...thumbs down

Lindsey: “The one thing that does bother me and breaks my heart is we spent 43 years always finding a way to rise above our personal differences and our difficulties
to pursue and articulate a higher truth. That is our legacy. That is what the songs are about. This is not the way you end something like this.”

What a shame...

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 11, 2018 05:01

Jah Paul

[www.rollingstone.com]

...as some suspected here, Stevie didn't want to be on stage with him ever again and gave the rest of the band an "Either he goes or I go" ultimatum.

Sounds like a real diva.
Buckingham, that is.

Team Stevie.
Sure she has good reason, and likely long overdue.

Date: October 11, 2018 05:07

MisterDDDD
Jah Paul

[www.rollingstone.com]

Sounds like a real diva.
Buckingham, that is.

Team Stevie.
Sure she has good reason, and likely long overdue.
I'm sure neither one of them are easy to deal with, but I think Lindsey is the more grounded of the two. I don't think anything in that article warrants such a ridiculous overreaction.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 11, 2018 06:06

Lindsey Buckingham Orpheum Theatre Los Angeles tix $6 or so on secondary market.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 11, 2018 06:49

Christine McVie has had problems with Stevie in the past, which could have been part of the reason Christine departed for several years. McVie mentioned Stevie having a personality change after the band became a hit. Stevie is the public star of the band, so the band has to revolve around her.

FM has had reports of blocks of unsold seats at the first few shows, but the ticket prices are so high they're still going to make money.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 11, 2018 14:29

Buckingham smirks while Nicks speeches, so he's out and they become the worlds most expensive tribute band.

I remember the last tour before Christine re-joined.
Nicks was rambling on for about 20 minutes before singing 'Without You'.
And it was so incoherent even the audience was laughing.
So no, you can't blame Buckingham for a smirk.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-11 14:31 by BowieStone.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 11, 2018 14:35

BowieStone
Buckingham smirks while Nicks speeches, so he's out and they become the worlds most expensive tribute band.

Funny; I remember this exactly as well. It was in Antwerp, Belgium; and the audience there was laughing at first... but soon became very iritated. (and rightfully so. Cringeworthy it was!)

Date: October 11, 2018 15:10

RoughJusticeOnYa
BowieStone

Funny; I remember this exactly as well. It was in Antwerp, Belgium; and the audience there was laughing at first... but soon became very iritated. (and rightfully so. Cringeworthy it was!)
Yeah, she did the same thing in 2014...it wasn't anywhere near 20 minutes, but it was still self-indulgent and off-putting....something about one of her sweaters or some article of clothing. Absolutely nonsensical.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 11, 2018 16:28

Jah Paul

As for Free Fallin', I read in Mike Campbell's recent Rolling Stone interview that he objected to it because he's played it so many times...yet Stevie convinced him to do it because, in her words, "The crowd will love it. It’ll be a moment." Kind of sums up the whole thing now with "Stevie Nicks' Fleetwood Mac."

I'm not sure why shit like this bothers me so much...
Free Fallin' was written by Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne and it came out on a Tom Petty SOLO album, Full Moon Fever.

Sure, Mike Campbell played on it but if he had any balls he would have told Stevie to pick one of the songs that he penned to perform.
@#$%& stupid.
It's a "moment" all right...a moment of idiocy.

The money must be fabulous and I can't fault the guy for taking it but my respect for him has been permanently damaged.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 13 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home