Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 17
Re: OT:Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 28, 2018 10:47

Fleetwood Mac - Functioning dysfunctionality springs to mind.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 28, 2018 12:04

the new record by Neil & Liam Finn "Lightsleeper" is excellent. cameo appearance by Mick Fleetwood on 3 songs.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: August 28, 2018 18:23

crholmstrom
the new record by Neil & Liam Finn "Lightsleeper" is excellent. cameo appearance by Mick Fleetwood on 3 songs.

Completely agree. Neil continues to explore new sounds even at 60 - his last 4 records have been wonderfully diverse.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 28, 2018 18:57

marianna
It will be interesting. My local PBS station has been playing "The Dance" video for months. The three singers have an identifiable blend that may or may not suit Neil Finn's higher male voice. I'm curious to hear what it will sound like.

Yes I suppose so, but it will be even more interesting to hear what any new material will sound like.
Wondering if they've started on that - Mick Fleetwood mentioned the possibility a while ago. Until they do, can't see much reason to get excited over this new lineup.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 28, 2018 22:46

The band and its record label most likely offered "The Dance" to PBS as part of their pledge drive package. People who donate to the PBS get a copy of the DVD if they sign up during the special's pledge drive and donate a certain amount. I'm not sure why the band would want to use the Buckingham line-up for that purpose given what they're doing now, but they have no choice. They're all 20 years older at this point, so it's likely that whatever they sound like now will be different or disappointing. The band got some bad reviews with Buckingham in the line-up for the East/West shows. I'm not sure adding Finn and Campbell is going to change the fact that Stevie Nicks doesn't sound that good anymore, at least going by some of her more recent public appearances, and she is the star of the show.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 29, 2018 02:46

Any info on Lindsey's upcoming tour lineup? Curious if he's playing solo or with a band.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: August 29, 2018 04:15

buffalo7478
Lindsey is playing the Riviera Theater here. The venue is known for oldies (50s-60s) acts and tribute bands and holds maybe 1,000. There is actually a Fleetwood Mac tribute band playing there soon. Seems kind of sad that Lindsey is getting gigs at that level and FM is playing our 18,000 seat arena.

I plan on skipping both and using the same $$ saved to see bands to patronize bands that are working hard and trying to make it.

The only two classic rock acts I would pay real money to see are the Stones and (if they ever really reform and tour) the Kinks.

Personally I don't find it sad at all.I saw Lindsey in a small theater with great acoustics on his "Under the Skin" tour and it was fantastic. It was the correct venue. At this point of my life I have no interest in stadium shows and barely in arena shows.

He's played the big rooms, he's made a lot of cash, he has tons of artistic cred. He's doing fine.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 29, 2018 19:04

marianna
The band and its record label most likely offered "The Dance" to PBS as part of their pledge drive package. People who donate to the PBS get a copy of the DVD if they sign up during the special's pledge drive and donate a certain amount. I'm not sure why the band would want to use the Buckingham line-up for that purpose given what they're doing now, but they have no choice. They're all 20 years older at this point, so it's likely that whatever they sound like now will be different or disappointing. The band got some bad reviews with Buckingham in the line-up for the East/West shows. I'm not sure adding Finn and Campbell is going to change the fact that Stevie Nicks doesn't sound that good anymore, at least going by some of her more recent public appearances, and she is the star of the show.
I've seen The Dance on PBS periodically a couple of times going back 10-15 years.

Date: August 29, 2018 20:31

It's been on heavy rotation the past few months, at least at my two local stations. And it's not exactly new. Perhaps PBS is trying to capitalize on the publicity of the breakup without special offers from the band or label.

The firing could be marketing genius on the part of Mick Fleetwood to get even more media attention than the band would have had otherwise. Time will tell if the band is any good live or in the studio and if fans will buy into it. Lucky for him that Neil Finn responded to his overtures. To hear Neil tell it, Mick was courting him in New Zealand months before Buckingham was fired. It also worked out that Tom Petty no longer needs the services of Mike Campbell.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 30, 2018 00:40

No Buckingham, no FM. Please retire.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: August 30, 2018 01:36

They are called 'Fleetwood Mac' because the core members are Mick Fleetwood, and John Macvie since the beginning in 1967.

Sure, Buckingham is from the 'classic' lineup (aka. most successful), but they've gone through many other guitarists/singers as well from Peter Green to Bob Welsh to Dave Mason.

18 members and counting.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 30, 2018 06:28

marianna
Time will tell if the band is any good live or in the studio and if fans will buy into it.

Fans will buy into it. Yes to hardcores Lindsey is the ultimate showman and clearly the best one there, but to the general public Stevie is still the face of the band. A million bands out there these days with only key members still active proves this will sell and I think easily. No one really cares who's in the band as long as Stevie is there. Or at least I'd be shocked if something like this doesn't sell but the Eagles did. Either fans care or they don't and the large majority over the last 10 years have demonstrated they'll accept fairly little for a high ticket price.

marianna
It also worked out that Tom Petty no longer needs the services of Mike Campbell.

Yup, its super good Tom Petty died so that Mike is available.

Date: August 30, 2018 16:48

Well, that certainly is a morbid way to look at it.

(I know you're being facetious)

So who is going to be handling Lindsey's vocals? Neil Finn?

Lindsey's brilliant guitar playing aside, his vocal interactions with Stevie and Christine are a huge part of their sound.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 30, 2018 20:23

mosthigh
They are called 'Fleetwood Mac' because the core members are Mick Fleetwood, and John Macvie since the beginning in 1967.

Sure, Buckingham is from the 'classic' lineup (aka. most successful), but they've gone through many other guitarists/singers as well from Peter Green to Bob Welsh to Dave Mason.

18 members and counting.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Sure. But 90% of the setlist will be songs originally written, arranged and/or produced by Buckingham. Even the Nicks and McVie songs have a massive Buckingham stamp on them.
With that in mind it’s simply ludicrous.

In that case The Beatles can go on tour with Ringo Starr, Nikki Sixx, Nuno Bettencourt & Dave Grohl.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: September 1, 2018 01:11

happy birthday bob welch!

cal jam 2! with stevie nicks. there are better videos online, but i love the voice-over from the start of the ABC cal jam special back in '78. oh, and march 18th is the last full day of winter. (because the video is bad) that's not dan dugmore on guitar like i first thought. it's todd sharp.

[www.youtube.com]

plus, best made-up video on the intertubez.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-01 01:15 by sundevil.

Date: September 5, 2018 21:18

here we go. sounds good to me!

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: September 5, 2018 21:36

More like the Fleetwood HACKS, amirite people?

Har har.

Date: September 5, 2018 21:41

In all honesty, that version of The Chain was dire. I think some of it was the live mix...could barely hear Stevie or Christine, but even with that, it just sounds off. Maybe they need more rehearsal, but damn...not good at all.

Date: September 5, 2018 21:51

keefriff99
In all honesty, that version of The Chain was dire. I think some of it was the live mix...could barely hear Stevie or Christine, but even with that, it just sounds off. Maybe they need more rehearsal, but damn...not good at all.

it was the first public performance & not best venue probably. i thought neil & stevie sounded fine together. you are right, it was a little tentative. i'm still glad i got tickets for a show in november. far enough into the tour to get the bugs out but not far enough to be burnt out. apart from mike campbell, i would be far more excited for the short Neil & Liam Finn tour in Europe first part of the year. i have a buddy who lives in Bristol & they are playing a very nice venue there. that album "lightsleeper" gets better with each listen. incidentally, that tour is a family affair. neil's wife sharon is playing bass & other son elroy is playing drums. i will be interested to see how the sets shape up for fleetwood mac. the talk of earlier fm material is intriguing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 5, 2018 21:52

Fraudulent Mac...sounds like a tribute band...it took two to attempt to fill Lindsey's shoes, yet there's still a huge void...sad.

And having been to a live taping of the James Corden show several years ago to see the Charlatans (UK), I know those "fans" in front are as phony as the hired models in Shine A Light.

Date: September 5, 2018 22:43

Bad performance. Neil is a bad vocal fit. I don't see Mike Campbell adding much, either, if they insist on trying to sound close to the original arrangements.

Date: September 5, 2018 22:59

marianna
Bad performance. Neil is a bad vocal fit. I don't see Mike Campbell adding much, either, if they insist on trying to sound close to the original arrangements.
I think Neil COULD be a good fit, but the sound mix did him no favors. Mike Campbell is an awesome guitarist but I don't think he can do Lindsey's parts justice.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 6, 2018 00:01

Did they also hire Jim Keltner to play keyboards in case they have to fire Fleetwood down the road ? jk but that keyboard really looks a lot like JK, no ?

Surprised to find that Neil Finn is doing a better job at sounding like Lindsey than Mike Campbell is. I'm not sure whether he's just not able to play like Lindsey or if he's been asked/wants to add a little personal touch...

In any case it's a friggin' travesty and Stevie looks and sounds worse and worse, unlike Christine I might add. I'm not sure this is going to end well...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 6, 2018 06:32

That was such a boring performance. God they look old, and not in a good way. The only thing that finally gave it some life was Mike Campbell.

Sorry, it sounds like a tribute act with the actual members. Lindsey's chemistry is just too much to plug up with two guys, good as they are.

It'll sell, I'm not sure why anyone would think it wouldn't. People want Stevie and thats about it. Or let's say I'll be shocked if this didn't sell but other things have. As long as Stevie is there they'll do fine business and if it fails then yay, maybe the general public is actually starting to wise up. Didn't work with Steely Dan, the Eagles or a handful of other big name bands but hey, maybe Fleetwood Mac will be the exception! Doubtful, but here's hoping. This works and its just another nail in the coffin of band integrity and sign of things to come.

Date: September 6, 2018 11:37

I thought they did good (and I'm not really a fan on the pop-lineup).

Neil Finn is awesome. The best replacement they could get, imo.

Date: September 6, 2018 12:50

DandelionPowderman

i watched it again on the mothership stereo. i had recorded it on the dvr. sounded much better than via youtube as is often the case. i totally agree with the above about neil finn. his vocals were excellent & there was some very nice guitar weaving with mike campbell. on the broadcast, ellen did a very short interview with stevie & the whole audience got tickets for the concert at the forum. i know most here don't care for it but that's cool. i'm excited about it. i was in very early days of my 25+ years in the music biz when i got a promo of split enz "true colours". i was hooked from the first notes of "i got you". have stuck with neil for close to 40 years now. it's been a fabulous journey. & he's still growing & exploring. the new record with son liam is excellent. is 1 of those records that gets better with each listen. i'm a pretty big fan of mike campbell, also. saw the heartbreakers the first time when i was in high school, right when they were on the brink when "damn the torpedos" was first out. i had been into the first 2 records but hadn't been able to see them until then. he's 1 of my favorite guitar players. looking forward to the concert. i even splurged for great seats!

Date: September 6, 2018 15:12

crholmstrom
DandelionPowderman

i watched it again on the mothership stereo. i had recorded it on the dvr. sounded much better than via youtube as is often the case. i totally agree with the above about neil finn. his vocals were excellent & there was some very nice guitar weaving with mike campbell. on the broadcast, ellen did a very short interview with stevie & the whole audience got tickets for the concert at the forum. i know most here don't care for it but that's cool. i'm excited about it. i was in very early days of my 25+ years in the music biz when i got a promo of split enz "true colours". i was hooked from the first notes of "i got you". have stuck with neil for close to 40 years now. it's been a fabulous journey. & he's still growing & exploring. the new record with son liam is excellent. is 1 of those records that gets better with each listen. i'm a pretty big fan of mike campbell, also. saw the heartbreakers the first time when i was in high school, right when they were on the brink when "damn the torpedos" was first out. i had been into the first 2 records but hadn't been able to see them until then. he's 1 of my favorite guitar players. looking forward to the concert. i even splurged for great seats!
The second time I watched it, it sounded better. I almost wonder if they tweaked the audio stream because it truly sounded weird the first time.

Neil sounds great but the chemistry feels off.

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: September 6, 2018 18:57

RollingFreak
Didn't work with Steely Dan, the Eagles or a handful of other big name bands but hey, maybe Fleetwood Mac will be the exception! Doubtful, but here's hoping. This works and its just another nail in the coffin of band integrity and sign of things to come.

What exactly are your referring to here? You know that the Eagles have not only survived but thrived, first without Felder, and now without Glenn. All their venues have sold out.

Date: September 6, 2018 19:00

Toxic34
RollingFreak
Didn't work with Steely Dan, the Eagles or a handful of other big name bands but hey, maybe Fleetwood Mac will be the exception! Doubtful, but here's hoping. This works and its just another nail in the coffin of band integrity and sign of things to come.

What exactly are your referring to here? You know that the Eagles have not only survived but thrived, first without Felder, and now without Glenn. All their venues have sold out.
He means people haven't woken up to the fact that these bands have lost critical members and yet are still touring.

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: September 6, 2018 19:26

keefriff99
Toxic34
RollingFreak

He means people haven't woken up to the fact that these bands have lost critical members and yet are still touring.

Felder wasn't a critical member in the way Glenn Frey was. He's "Fingers" and nothing more. He can't write complete songs by himself, only riffs, can't sing well, and basically has no personality in the way Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit have. Steuart Smith plays exactly the same, so nothing is lost. Now Glenn Frey is a completely different matter, but I was absolutely astounded the way Deacon and Vince Gill have really stepped up and add something very new and different and have proven that there is still life for the Eagles.

Regarding FM, I'm not sure. The Ellen performance certainly seemed to augur an inauspicious start to this new lineup, but they could easily get their act together when the tour starts. There's also the chance that Lindsey will end up back in the fold in some manner within a year or two.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home