Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 17
Re: OT:Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham
Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: June 17, 2018 15:50

This band has become a joke.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 17, 2018 16:09

spsimmons
This band has become a joke.
Thing I thought when I read that article. Talk about desperate as @#$%&.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 17, 2018 17:52

Being a big fan of the 5 pc. Lindsey Buckingham FM lineup, I'm still kind of stunned by this whole thing. But then seeing all the different lineups over the years (though the article from ultimateclassicrock was frustratingly inept), I have to respect that if the band has creative energy and wants to proceed without Lindsey for whatever reason, so be it, and who knows... maybe they will produce some interesting music after the tour is done. Sometimes one person can just be a burden for a band, and I suspect that was the case with Buckingham. I suspect this tour will be a bit of a commercial flopper, but maybe they really are excited about new creative energy with Finn and Campbell. We'll have to wait and see.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 17, 2018 19:45

Tate
Being a big fan of the 5 pc. Lindsey Buckingham FM lineup, I'm still kind of stunned by this whole thing. But then seeing all the different lineups over the years (though the article from ultimateclassicrock was frustratingly inept), I have to respect that if the band has creative energy and wants to proceed without Lindsey for whatever reason, so be it, and who knows... maybe they will produce some interesting music after the tour is done. Sometimes one person can just be a burden for a band, and I suspect that was the case with Buckingham. I suspect this tour will be a bit of a commercial flopper, but maybe they really are excited about new creative energy with Finn and Campbell. We'll have to wait and see.

if they dig a little in the neil finn catalog (solo & crowded house/split enz) i think they will find some material that would fit in quite well. i got great seats & am looking forward to it. long way off though.

Date: June 17, 2018 20:21

I don't really care one way or the other (although I'm sure I'll get accused of caring too much because I'm speaking about it) but really there aren't THAT many lineups. I mean technically there are, but there's basically two lineups of Fleetwood Mac. There's "classic" Fleetwood Mac in the Rumours lineup and there's "early" Fleetwood Mac in Fleetwood, McVie, Green, Kirwan, Spencer. Thats really it. The other lineups amounted to very little. The in between Kirwan/Buckingham Nicks lineup has some gems but is overall just finding its way till it hits. And the post Buckingham lineups of the late 80s/early 90s is completely lost and really just struggling to get by. Albums were made but I wouldn't really call those lineups creative in any way. They were trying to get by and living off a name they hoped and assumed would eventually reunite one day.

Which makes this lineup what it is, just kind of another lost lineup. Maybe it will lead to something fruitful. I highly doubt it, mainly because its already been such a successful band and you rarely hit multiple times with that (you have a run and then live off that) and also just because they are too damn old. You're not gonna reinvent yourselves at this age. They are certainly playing into the "constantly revolving band" mindset, presumably because they have no other choice, and will push that as far as they can. But we all know there's two lineups of Fleetwood Mac and only one that 75% of people care about. If they can make it work, godspeed, but the 80s/90s lineups were depressingly pathetic and while I don't think this will be as pathetic, I don't see it being fruitful. I'd welcome them to prove me wrong, but the promo this far hasn't made me any more convinced. Seems all they're trying to do is pull out every stop and gimmick they can to get potentially unsure fans on board with rarities and the general public on board with promises of other great band's songs.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: June 17, 2018 20:21

It's a Fleetwood mac show, nobody wants to hear crap from "Crowded House" or "Split Enz"......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-17 20:22 by Woz.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 17, 2018 21:14

crholmstrom
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

"And I think Stevie’s even threatening to sing ‘Black Magic Woman,’ which sounds more than exciting!" Fleetwood added.

As much as I think this was an ill-advised decision to carry on without Lyndsey at this point, can't really judge them for wanting to carry on.
What else are they supposed to do, call it quits? I don't think so....

From the article:

In addition to the tour, Fleetwood also suggested that the songwriting talents of the two newcomers could result in an album by the band.

“I don’t think you can keep the horse in the trap, so to speak, when it comes to Christine [McVie] and Stevie,” he said. “They’re still connected to everything about writing and having a whole new approach to it. Mike is hugely conversant with production and has written way more than I ever, ever knew. And he’s worked with Stevie, writing and producing and a lot of stuff that Stevie did through the years with Tom and, of course, the Heartbreakers. And Neil is a given; he’s just a hugely connected songwriter that really covers a huge gamut.

"I truly believe that [new music] will happen. I’m hoping that we can throw out a couple of calling cards before we go out on the road. I’m not quite sure that we can apply ourselves to do that, but all of that is to look forward to. It’s hugely important, whichever way you look at it, for a band to remain being creative [and] not treading water.”

So there you have it, and no matter what I or anyone else thinks, you sort of have to give them the benefit of doubt vs. pre-judging them.
Could be an entirely new and successful chapter of the band for all we know, but time will tell...

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 17, 2018 21:27

It sounds like a bad mix of ideas. Neil is pop, Mike is grind-ier rock-pop. Add in that they want to do some tunes from the Peter Green era, which will send the Rumours-era fans (the majority) to the bathrooms and beer lines.

I watched part of "The Dance" concert video on PBS a couple of weeks ago. I'm not much of a FM fan, either, and from the perspective of a non-fan, Buckingham was the only singing member who had much energy. Stevie Nicks' ballads tend to sound alike. She had lost a lot of her range even back in the late '90s. She had very little facial expression, and her dancing consisted of prancing around and waving her arms. Christine is not a show woman, though her voice back then at least sounded close to the hit era.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: June 17, 2018 22:51

Hairball
From the article:

"It’s hugely important, whichever way you look at it, for a band to remain being creative [and] not treading water.”

That's a hilarious quote from Mick considering there was only one member who wanted to do new music all these years...and he was just fired.

I'm guessing it all comes down to Stevie just not wanting to work with Lindsey anymore - certainly not in the studio, and now, no longer on stage either.

Date: June 17, 2018 23:17

Jah Paul
Hairball
From the article:

"It’s hugely important, whichever way you look at it, for a band to remain being creative [and] not treading water.”

That's a hilarious quote from Mick considering there was only one member who wanted to do new music all these years...and he was just fired.
Exactly.

I agree with Hairball that what else is a band gonna do but continue. Thats true. But also, what else is a band gonna say if they're trying to sell a tour? Exactly what Mick Fleetwood is saying, which is why the whole thing is kind of laughable at least to me. Yeah it could be an entirely new and fruitful chapter for them, but I wouldn't think that because of what Fleetwood's saying. Anything the band says at this point is just BS hype. When they actually deliver, then a discussion could be had about having a new chapter. Otherwise at this point they just sound like any other band that desperately wants people to come to their shows. Best of luck to them, as I've said particularly for Campbell's sake.

Date: June 18, 2018 00:00

marianna
It sounds like a bad mix of ideas. Neil is pop, Mike is grind-ier rock-pop. Add in that they want to do some tunes from the Peter Green era, which will send the Rumours-era fans (the majority) to the bathrooms and beer lines.

I watched part of "The Dance" concert video on PBS a couple of weeks ago. I'm not much of a FM fan, either, and from the perspective of a non-fan, Buckingham was the only singing member who had much energy. Stevie Nicks' ballads tend to sound alike. She had lost a lot of her range even back in the late '90s. She had very little facial expression, and her dancing consisted of prancing around and waving her arms. Christine is not a show woman, though her voice back then at least sounded close to the hit era.

i've been a big fan of Neil for 35 years. Yes, he leans toward Beatle like pop but its a dark pop if you listen to the lyrics. & i think he rocks out a bit more than you might think especially on the live stuff. i'm hoping that this exposure gives him a bit more recognition. his solo records are especially good. the last one was with orchestra & mellow but good songs. check out "one nil", "dizzy heights" & especially "try whistling this". wonderful records that were pretty much ignored at least in the us. there's also a great vid called "7 worlds collide" of a concert he did with an all star band. 2 guys from radiohead, lisa germano, johnny marr & eddie vedder. excellent stuff. & mike cambell is pretty far up the list of favorite guitar players. that worship has been going on 40 years haha. i'm hoping it turns out far better than the naysayers are predicting. i could be wrong but i have a good feeling about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-18 01:42 by crholmstrom.

Date: June 18, 2018 01:33

Jah Paul
Hairball
From the article:

I'm guessing it all comes down to Stevie just not wanting to work with Lindsey anymore - certainly not in the studio, and now, no longer on stage either.

That's the way I see it as well. I bet Mick is chomping at the bit to get out some new material and has been for quite some time, but the friction between Nicks and Buckingham prevented all that.
So maybe now the stars will align and it could all possibly turn out to be a good thing. Sometimes all it takes is some fresh blood to get the sparks going again...
If the material that Buckingham/Mcvie recently released would have been used as part of a new Fleetwood Mac album, not sure if it it would have added anything to their legacy as it was quite poor imo.

Date: June 18, 2018 03:21

Jah Paul
Hairball
From the article:

exactly

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 18, 2018 05:06

keefriffhard4life
Jah Paul
Hairball
From the article:

exactly

Shes owes Buckingham everything. I read an article where Buckingham had to write all melody and chord changes to her songs. All she had was words on a piece of paper. He got to the point where he didn't want to do it anymore for her.

Date: June 18, 2018 06:04

I know this is off topic, but just stumbled upon this. Thought it was pretty cool and classy:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 14, 2018 23:18

Lindsey Buckingham just announced a solo tour that kicks off in Portland Oct 7th, which I am debating on whether to attend. Always like tour openers, and this one will be an interesting one for Buckingham given the circumstances I think.

Ticket also comes with a free copy of his new "Anthology" cd.. cool smiley
[rhino.warnermusic.com]

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: August 15, 2018 00:22

Just got notice he is going to be at King Center here in Melbourne, Florida on October 28th, two days before my birthday, sounds like a nice present, doesn't it?

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 15, 2018 01:31

No Buckingham, no FM. I would not spend $10 to see the current FM
performing at a local bar.

Please retire.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 15, 2018 02:18

I would kill to see Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, Mick Fleetwood & John McVie just once.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 15, 2018 07:39

Paddy
I would kill to see Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, Mick Fleetwood & John McVie just once.

[www.youtube.com]

It pisses me off that those 4 and Danny Kirwan never played another gig. I know its hard, I don't know who kept it from happening. Its possible it was just never in the cards with Spencer and Kirwan, and even Green to be in that frontman position again. But I consider that one of the sadder musical journeys that seemed like it could have had a happy ending. They all lived such a long time (most of them are still here) and for one reason or another could never pull that together. They deserved to be reexamined and I bet there was still fire there. God damn.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 15, 2018 08:05

I recommend Lindsey’s solo show. Pretty intense performance especially if you
are close to the stage.

Date: August 15, 2018 10:47

swimtothemoon
I recommend Lindsey’s solo show. Pretty intense performance especially if you
are close to the stage.

he's great live. the "out of the cradle" tour was crazy good. HUGE band. around that time, lindsey was on a radio promo tour. i was working in the music biz in seattle at the time. the label wanted to have lindsey get together with the players in local retail & radio (i worked purchasing music for a big retail chain). the only available time was during the weekly biz golf league. i didn't golf but i got invited. they set up a little PA on the pation of "the 19th hole (bar)". i arrived ahead of time & got to hang with lindsey for quite awhile while we waited for everyone to get in from the course. nice guy. he signed a rare promo only "holiday road" for me. it was pretty funny when he started playing as people were coming in off the course & wondering what the hell was going on. he came back a few months later with the HUGE band in a small theater. fantastic show. i saw FM with him several times including the rumors tour when i was in high school & he always blew me away. that being said, still excited for the new mac. mike campbell & especially neil finn are long time faves. i splurged on good seats as my friend really loves neil, too. i'm a little bummed that there isn't a seattle date on the tour so far.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: August 16, 2018 00:43

RollingFreak
Paddy

[www.youtube.com]

It pisses me off that those 4 and Danny Kirwan never played another gig. I know its hard, I don't know who kept it from happening. Its possible it was just never in the cards with Spencer and Kirwan, and even Green to be in that frontman position again. But I consider that one of the sadder musical journeys that seemed like it could have had a happy ending. They all lived such a long time (most of them are still here) and for one reason or another could never pull that together. They deserved to be reexamined and I bet there was still fire there. God damn.

Very sadly, from a fans point of view, a Green Mac reunion was even less likely to happen then Syd joining Pink Floyd at Live 8 for a quick run through of Interstellar Overdrive.
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac were one of the greatest UK bands of all time, I especially love the late 68 to 70 era with Peter and Danny.
I for one would love it if Stevie sang Green Manalishi with the new guitarists. I'm willing to bet that the average Mac concert-goer would love "the new song".
Reunion-wise - with Spencer in the Children Of God, Kirwan homeless and drinking on the streets of London and Peter's well-documented problems, a Fleetwood Mac reunion was never going to happen.
They do deserve to be re-examined. The circulating live tapes show a band (in musical terms) every bit as good as any you care to mention from that era. Present company included ! The 3cd Live At The Boston Tea Party is all you need to hear to realise what exceptional guitarists all 3 were and that Fleetwood and Mac were a shit hot rhythm section.

Date: August 16, 2018 09:59

ash
RollingFreak
Paddy

[www.youtube.com]

Very sadly, from a fans point of view, a Green Mac reunion was even less likely to happen then Syd joining Pink Floyd at Live 8 for a quick run through of Interstellar Overdrive.
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac were one of the greatest UK bands of all time, I especially love the late 68 to 70 era with Peter and Danny.
I for one would love it if Stevie sang Green Manalishi with the new guitarists. I'm willing to bet that the average Mac concert-goer would love "the new song".
Reunion-wise - with Spencer in the Children Of God, Kirwan homeless and drinking on the streets of London and Peter's well-documented problems, a Fleetwood Mac reunion was never going to happen.
They do deserve to be re-examined. The circulating live tapes show a band (in musical terms) every bit as good as any you care to mention from that era. Present company included ! The 3cd Live At The Boston Tea Party is all you need to hear to realise what exceptional guitarists all 3 were and that Fleetwood and Mac were a shit hot rhythm section.

Completely agree with all the above. Shit hot rhythm section, and those guitars! Every time I listen to their live stuff from that 69-70 period, I’m struck by how much they listened to each other. Peter Green is a great guitar player, but he wasn’t the only great guitar player in that band. Very sympathetic playing. Like Taylor- Richards circa 69 onwards.

There was a hell of a lot of emotion in that music. Man of the world is some bare naked stuff.... but when they take off on those journeys like in the clip I posted, @#$%& they were Heavenly. I doubt we will ever see that band live again.

Oh Well....... smoking smiley

Strange as it may seem, but any live stuff by them is great soundtrack music if you’re engaged in some horizontal dancing.

Date: August 16, 2018 10:00

Completely agree with all the above. Shit hot rhythm section, and those guitars! Every time I listen to their live stuff from that 68-70 period, I’m struck by how much they listened to each other. Peter Green is a great guitar player, but he wasn’t the only great guitar player in that band. Very sympathetic playing. Like Taylor- Richards circa 69 onwards.

There was a hell of a lot of emotion in that music. Man of the world is some bare naked stuff.... but when they take off on those journeys like in the clip I posted, @#$%& they were Heavenly. I doubt we will ever see that band live again.

Oh Well....... smoking smiley

Strange as it may seem, but any live stuff by them is great soundtrack music if you’re engaged in some horizontal dancing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-16 10:01 by Paddy.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 16, 2018 14:43

Just heard today: Danny Kirwan died on 8 June in London.
He had been living in a care home with support from family (including former wife and son). Complications from a bout of pneumonia from which he never properly recovered. Died in his sleep.
RIP

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 16, 2018 14:52

jlowe
Just heard today: Danny Kirwan died on 8 June in London.
He had been living in a care home with support from family (including former wife and son). Complications from a bout of pneumonia from which he never properly recovered. Died in his sleep.
RIP

Apologies..there is a link already...Danny Kirwan RIP

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 16, 2018 18:02

Lindsey is playing the Riviera Theater here. The venue is known for oldies (50s-60s) acts and tribute bands and holds maybe 1,000. There is actually a Fleetwood Mac tribute band playing there soon. Seems kind of sad that Lindsey is getting gigs at that level and FM is playing our 18,000 seat arena.

I plan on skipping both and using the same $$ saved to see bands to patronize bands that are working hard and trying to make it.

The only two classic rock acts I would pay real money to see are the Stones and (if they ever really reform and tour) the Kinks.

Date: August 28, 2018 05:18

From Fleetwood Macs facebook page:

"On Wednesday, September 5th, FLEETWOOD MAC will take the stage for an exclusive and rare performance of two of their classic hit songs prior to their North American tour.
This marks the band’s first appearance on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” and their first TV appearance with new members Mike Campbell and Neil Finn"

I'll be sure to be nowhere near my tv that day. winking smiley

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 28, 2018 09:39

It will be interesting. My local PBS station has been playing "The Dance" video for months. The three singers have an identifiable blend that may or may not suit Neil Finn's higher male voice. I'm curious to hear what it will sound like.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home