Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 17
Re: OT:Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 12, 2018 22:57

coloradocanyons
Lindsey comments....

[www.tmz.com]
Hmm, interesting. Sad turn of events.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: May 13, 2018 01:31

crholmstrom
i could totally see fleetwood mac doing this one

video: [www.youtube.com]

I could see them doing this FM chestnut, since Petty covered it (with Mike C on guitar).

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 13, 2018 03:09

And here's RS's summary of his comments : [www.rollingstone.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: May 13, 2018 04:17

I have lost respect for Neil Finn. I can understand Mike Campbell joining FM, because he's a guitar player and lost his band. He also has worked with Stevie over the years. Neil only worked with Mick Fleetwood very recently. Neil is a singer-songwriter who fronted two relatively successful bands. So, now he's giving up his identity to sing another person's songs, and play bigger arenas than Crowded House or Split Enz could ever fill. I guess he needs the money.

Fleetwood Mac are talking about recording a new album with Finn and Campbell, after Stevie Nicks refused to record a new album with Lindsey. There's just something wrong about the situation.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 13, 2018 07:47

keefriff99
coloradocanyons
Lindsey comments....

[www.tmz.com]

But he didn’t “find” the band. Great, more fake news for the public to digest..moody smiley

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 13, 2018 08:18

Maindefender
keefriff99
coloradocanyons
Lindsey comments....

[www.tmz.com]

But he didn’t “find” the band. Great, more fake news for the public to digest..moody smiley

Well, it is TMZ...not exactly the bastion of journalism.

Lindsey's comment that "there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective" is pretty telling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-13 08:19 by Jah Paul.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 13, 2018 09:21

FM should retire. No Buckingham, no band. Period. Please stop.

Date: May 13, 2018 15:40

It's really hard to make sense of what happened...what caused Buckingham to lose the "clout" he used to have? In the 2003 documentary he was calling the shots and even though Stevie didn't seem too happy she just went along.

Sadly the return of Christine McVie likely played a part in this, oddly enough since you'd think their album would have made her side with Buckingham. But without her on board it's unlikely Mick and Mac (who had no problem getting paid for that album of course instead of hanging around doing nothing) would let Buckingham go. I suppose there can be an FM without Christine or Buckingham but not one without Stevie, at least on paper...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-13 16:52 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 13, 2018 16:13

I guess it's the coke whore's band now, she can have them! In the meantime, I really dig Lindsey's solo work, and will continue to do so.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: May 13, 2018 23:23

marianna
I have lost respect for Neil Finn. I can understand Mike Campbell joining FM, because he's a guitar player and lost his band. He also has worked with Stevie over the years. Neil only worked with Mick Fleetwood very recently. Neil is a singer-songwriter who fronted two relatively successful bands. So, now he's giving up his identity to sing another person's songs, and play bigger arenas than Crowded House or Split Enz could ever fill. I guess he needs the money.

Fleetwood Mac are talking about recording a new album with Finn and Campbell, after Stevie Nicks refused to record a new album with Lindsey. There's just something wrong about the situation.

I think that overestimates Neil’s awareness of (or interest in) the politics of the situation. Neil’s creative restlessness continues into joining a new mate’s band when called up with an offer. I expect a hits tour in the fall, an album next year, and one more tour, and then he’ll probably be on the move again.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 14, 2018 00:13

tommycharles
marianna

I think that overestimates Neil’s awareness of (or interest in) the politics of the situation. Neil’s creative restlessness continues into joining a new mate’s band when called up with an offer. I expect a hits tour in the fall, an album next year, and one more tour, and then he’ll probably be on the move again.

Do you mean a new album with Fleetwood Mac or one of Neil's bands. Because 100% this current incarnation of Fleetwood Mac is not making new music, or else they would have just kept Lindsey Buckingham. Neil and Mike joined this incarnation solely so that the other members of Fleetwood Mac could tour on their greatest hits permanently. No ifs ands or buts about it, unfortunately. Fleetwood Mac can say (or more accurately, lie) about whatever they want, but its all PR BS and everyone that can see through the haze knows that a new album will never be coming. And thats not conspiracy or wishful thinking talking, thats just pure common sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-14 00:27 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 14, 2018 00:34

Maybe the chemistry is working so well that they've decided to write and record new material together as Fleetwood Mac.

While I would never pay to see this incarnation as it stands on this upcoming tour, if they had new original music that was worthy it might be a different story though I more than likely still wouldn't go see them ha.
That said, some new original music might be interesting and add something to their lengthy history w/multiple lineups. And if the recent Buckingham/Mcvie album is anything to go by, not sure what Lyndsey would have brought to the table for a new album - that stuff is pretty lame imo.

Date: May 14, 2018 01:21

They will not have original material. There is no chemistry, they haven't played one live show together yet. And if you become an overwhelming presence in this thread I will leave it as I have others because I just don't have the patience to go back and forth anymore.

Date: May 14, 2018 01:29

Lol the only overwhelming presence I see on this thread is from you.

And for the record I was replying to what marianna and tommycharles had posted - not you as I know you can get a bit sensitive as you've just proven.

Posted by: pjb ()
Date: May 14, 2018 01:37

marianna

I dont think Neil could give a toss about the money he just sold his house an another worth 10m last year in Auck

Date: May 14, 2018 01:47

The reason Stevie refused to record a new Fleetwood Mac album with Lindsey is that new albums don't sell very well. The cost of going into the studio couldn't be justified. People who go their shows want to hear all the old songs, not new ones. She had good reasons for her opinion.

It makes no sense to make a new album with Neil Finn if Stevie didn't want to spend the time or money when Lindsey was still in the band. Yet Mick Fleetwood has said they are considering it. I can't see how it would be that much better than McVie/Buckingham, because it will still be McVie, a diminished Nicks, and Neill trying to be something that fits into their past.

Date: May 14, 2018 01:51

marianna
The reason Stevie refused to record a new Fleetwood Mac album with Lindsey is that new albums don't sell very well. The cost of going into the studio couldn't be justified. People who go their shows want to hear all the old songs, not new ones. She had good reasons for her opinion.

It makes no sense to make a new album with Neil Finn if Stevie didn't want to spend the time or money when Lindsey was still in the band. Yet Mick Fleetwood has said they are considering it. I can't see how it would be that much better than McVie/Buckingham, because it will still be McVie, a diminished Nicks, and Neill trying to be something that fits into their past.

stevie refused because she didn't want buckingham arranging her songs anymore. clear and simple. mitchell froom was brought in to try and help things out and make stevie comfortable during the EP sessions and it didn't work. she still releases new solo albums

Date: May 14, 2018 02:02

marianna

It's a shame Stevie refused to record new material while Lindsey was still in the band, and maybe she had her reasons, but being a creative active artist should be the first priority. Her reasoning for refusing - based on what you said - seems like she's only in it for the money living off the past glories which I assume she is.

But...as for recording new material that Mick Fleetwood said they are considering, could be motivated by the spark of new chemistry, good vibes, and friendship amongst the old and new members. I never said it would be better than the McVie/Buckingham release (though it wouldn't take much to come up with something better than that), but something different just as it was when Bob Welch joined the band, and just as it was when Nicks/Buckingham joined the band, etc. Something to add to the ongoing ever-changing history of the band. Will it happen? Hard to say, but there's a good chance they'll at least record and release some of the upcoming shows as part of an extravagant cd/dvd release.

keefriffhard4life

stevie refused because she didn't want buckingham arranging her songs anymore. clear and simple. mitchell froom was brought in to try and help things out and make stevie comfortable during the EP sessions and it didn't work. she still releases new solo albums

Interesting. So I assume she was ready, but was unwilling. Maybe now without Lyndsey and with the new members she feels a bit more comfortable which would add some weight to Mick Fleetwood's talk of some new recordings. It would definitely add some legitimacy to the current band, and would be interesting to hear what they could come up with.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-14 02:21 by Hairball.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 14, 2018 02:16

while i love lindsey buckingham's music, i'm a bigger neil finn fan. i've met lindsey once & he was nice. you could tell he was a bit "touched" though. have met neil finn several times. really nice, family type guy with a wicked sense of humour. IMHO a very underrated guitar/keyboard player & great singer. he writes really fantastic songs, too. below is a link to a washington post article about lindsey that might be illuminating. reading the ongoing soap opera, it sounds like there were several singers under consideration to replace lindsey & mike campbell was a lock. i have a really good, indirect source from the Mac camp. word is that lindsey had become increasingly difficult to work with & was sleep walking through some shows. once he found out that the band was serious about moving on, he tried to back track. given the age of some of the band members, i can see why they didn't want to wait another year for the tour. christie mcvie is 75, john mcvie 73 (with the recent cancer scare) & mick fleetwood is 71. i know the stones are doing it but it can't be easy to do a 3 hour show at that age. i think they went out & got really fine musicians, neither of which seem to be dramatic types (met mike once too). the tour is a long way off but seems logical to wait & see what actually transpires before condemning the whole thing. it's clear there are a lot of factors & history involved. i'm going & will take what is presented at face value. i'm thinking that it is going to be good & somewhat different than the Mac of recent years.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 14, 2018 03:33

Well, I guess it's Stevie's band now...as recent history suggests, she's been holding all the cards and calling the shots for a while. Apparently, there can be a Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey (or Christine), but not without Stevie.

Excerpts from an October 2017 article..

In 2011 the guitarist suggested that Fleetwood Mac were ready to return. “We’re doing something for sure,” Buckingham said. “I wouldn’t be shocked if it was a tour and possibly an album. We’ll have to wait and see. With Fleetwood Mac there’s a lot of land mines out there politically, and it’s hard to get everybody on the same page at the same time, but I think this might be one of those years where everyone will want to do the same thing. Whatever that is.”

Nicks felt differently. She decided to instead concentrate on her solo album, In Your Dreams. In his very polite, very British way, Mick Fleetwood put the blame for the inaction at the Nicks’s feet. “For now she refuses to do a Fleetwood Mac tour. It’s down to her,” he said in 2012. “I don’t believe Fleetwood Mac will ever tour again,” he added pessimistically. In the event, he was wrong on both counts. Nicks changed her mind and the band hit the road again in 2013.

From the end of the piece:

But the story of “the most abused franchise in music” is still being written. A new tour featuring the Rumours line-up has been announced for 2018. Mick Fleetwood recently said that they are sitting on “a huge amount of recorded music”, although “virtually none of it” features Nicks. Given the constant state of flux Fleetwood Mac exist in, only a fool would rule out the notion of it ever appearing.

[www.loudersound.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-14 03:35 by Jah Paul.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 14, 2018 03:46

For me it’s hard to imagine Mike Campbell’s playing style with FM. He was great
with the Heartbreakers and Mudcrutch but much of later day Fleetwood Mac doesn’t
seem to be his style. He’s a great player though - so I suspect he will adapt fine and hopefully retain his unique style. I’m not a big FM fan but very curious
as to what Mike’s talents may bring to their sound.

Date: May 14, 2018 04:27

Hairball
marianna

It's a shame Stevie refused to record new material while Lindsey was still in the band, and maybe she had her reasons, but being a creative active artist should be the first priority. Her reasoning for refusing - based on what you said - seems like she's only in it for the money living off the past glories which I assume she is.

But...as for recording new material that Mick Fleetwood said they are considering, could be motivated by the spark of new chemistry, good vibes, and friendship amongst the old and new members. I never said it would be better than the McVie/Buckingham release (though it wouldn't take much to come up with something better than that), but something different just as it was when Bob Welch joined the band, and just as it was when Nicks/Buckingham joined the band, etc. Something to add to the ongoing ever-changing history of the band. Will it happen? Hard to say, but there's a good chance they'll at least record and release some of the upcoming shows as part of an extravagant cd/dvd release.

keefriffhard4life

Interesting. So I assume she was ready, but was unwilling. Maybe now without Lyndsey and with the new members she feels a bit more comfortable which would add some weight to Mick Fleetwood's talk of some new recordings. It would definitely add some legitimacy to the current band, and would be interesting to hear what they could come up with.

i don't know what she was ready to do other than i know after say you will she no longer wanted buckingham arranging her songs without another producer was had no affiliation to either of them having a final say. more music was done at this time as well and used years later on the buckingham/mcvie release from last year. they are the 3 songs credited to mitchell froom as producer

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 14, 2018 04:50

@#$%& pathetic.
Let’s all pray that Irving Azoff never gets anywhere near The Stones.

Date: May 14, 2018 06:10

Fleetwood Mac became an arena-filling band mainly due to Lindsey's musical touch and instincts, including what he did to the songs of Nicks and McVie. That music sometimes is a little too poppy for my taste, and perhaps his skills have declined over time in terms of making Mac albums. But it does seem odd for Mick Fleetwood to seem to minimize that fact, given that Mac would be playing clubs by now had he not brought Buckingham on board. Nicks only came into the band as a package deal.

I did watch a few Lindsey solo acoustic videos after reading about this latest dust-up, and the guy does have talent beyond the Mac pop sound. I also didn't realize that he created the drum pattern on "Go Your Own Way" in an attempt to recreate the drum feel of "Street Fighting Man." He should try to rock out a little more.

Date: May 14, 2018 06:21

Lindsey's contributions can't be overstated. Mick Fleetwood talking about recording because the one driving the recording was Lindsey! Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, great as they are, have never been leaders. The band is their name but they've always, smartly, hid behind very successful leaders and adapt their skills to those songwriters. Thats literally always how its been. And even Christine, much as I love her, flat out said she didn't have a ton of material for the Buckingham Nicks record. Its mostly Lindsey's that he wrote and had her sing or that he engineered and made work. Now I guess that could hurt his credibility depending on how you feel about the record (it wasn't great but I'd rather have something with 3 or 4 really great tunes than no record at all), but the bottom line is he was the one trying to make it all happen. The other's can express annoyance either at his control or Stevie's inability to commit, but they also have to admit that without Nicks and Buckingham they're just kind of sitting on their ass waiting for someone to push them. Thats just how Fleetwood Mac has been.

Buckingham was the star of their live show and the only one even remotely driving towards continuing a legacy. All the rest can say what they want but are perfectly comfortable being an oldies act that fills arenas, and hey, who wouldn't. I don't blame them, but you just lose so much in Lindsey, as you said marianna, a guy thats just fearlessly creative and risk taking. He has some great solo music but, as Stevie says, no one cares. She's totally right, but Mac under her leadership just seems incredibly boring at this point in the band's career.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 14, 2018 19:46

^^^^^^^^^

Buckingham/McVie

Date: May 15, 2018 00:32

Had completely forgotten about the 2011 drama and that article in RS, or was it 2009 ? Just wish I'd seen them in 2015 instead of 2013 when Christine was back on board but they didn't come back to France unfortunately.

It was a weird show with Stevie endlessly telling the audience about a shopping spree (I think) in Paris, Lindsey talked quite a bit too and Mick came back at the end for a conclusion speech. Never seen another band do that ! Actually I taped it, need to listen to it again.

keefriffhard4life

i don't know what she was ready to do other than i know after say you will she no longer wanted buckingham arranging her songs without another producer was had no affiliation to either of them having a final say. more music was done at this time as well and used years later on the buckingham/mcvie release from last year. they are the 3 songs credited to mitchell froom as producer

At the time of "Say You Will" or of the 2013 EP ?

--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 09:35 by gotdablouse.

Date: May 15, 2018 17:05

gotdablouse
Had completely forgotten about the 2011 drama and that article in RS, or was it 2009 ? Just wish I'd seen them in 2015 instead of 2015 when Christine was back on board but they didn't come back to France unfortunately.

It was a weird show with Stevie endlessly telling the audience about a shopping spree (I think) in Paris, Lindsey talked quite a bit too and Mick came back at the end for a conclusion speech. Never seen another band do that ! Actually I taped it, need to listen to it again.

keefriffhard4life

At the time of "Say You Will" or of the 2013 EP ?

the 2013 EP

Date: June 13, 2018 01:26

Via facebook:

Somethings wrong with this picture...

"Before we head out on tour, come see us perform at the iHeartRadio Music Festival!
Capital One pre-sale starts today and general on-sale this Friday"!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 16, 2018 20:44

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

"And I think Stevie’s even threatening to sing ‘Black Magic Woman,’ which sounds more than exciting!" Fleetwood added.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1309
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home