Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 17
Re: OT:Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 12, 2018 16:12

Rockman
.... I recall a Stevie interview were she lived in her LA
mansion with an open fire going even in the summer time ....phew

I thought it was her house in Phoenix which is even stranger.

Date: April 12, 2018 16:14

Jah Paul
Leonioid
One thing that has always seemed odd is the members of Fleetwood Mac reported inability to properly handle their finances. After so many concerts and recording sales they should all be Ka-Billionaires at this point and only coming back to play for the joy of it.... which may be the case this time, I dont know for sure, but ditching Lindsey to get on the road... it appears they need some money.

Mick Fleetwood has been bankrupt at least two or three times over the years (perhaps more)...I've never heard of any money troubles among the three songwriters in the band.

His book is quite fascinating. It starts when they're clearing out his house to auction off his possessions due to his financial troubles.

Insights on LB too being a bit of a headcase.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 12, 2018 17:21

How do you fire this guy, i just can't get enough of this.

[www.youtube.com]

OMG another even better version.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-12 17:26 by keithsman.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 12, 2018 17:45

Can't be said enough: Fleetwood Mac don't just put on a great show for being an oldies act even though they are. They legitimately put on a really surprisingly great show. And Lindsey is such a major part of that. Stevie is such a major part of that. I really don't think you can do it without either of them. Christine you can but I'm thrilled she's back. Its beating a dead horse I know, but at this point there's zero reason to fire one of your two lead frontpeople and replace them. They're too far down the line to actually expand on it and if you're going to a trip down nostalgic lane you might as well be doing it with the guy who can still crush it (again, same logic for if they replace Stevie. If she can still do it, no one else will do). Its just silly at this point, even moreso after watching these videos.

Date: April 12, 2018 17:53

RollingFreak
Can't be said enough: Fleetwood Mac don't just put on a great show for being an oldies act even though they are. They legitimately put on a really surprisingly great show. And Lindsey is such a major part of that. Stevie is such a major part of that. I really don't think you can do it without either of them. Christine you can but I'm thrilled she's back. Its beating a dead horse I know, but at this point there's zero reason to fire one of your two lead frontpeople and replace them. They're too far down the line to actually expand on it and if you're going to a trip down nostalgic lane you might as well be doing it with the guy who can still crush it (again, same logic for if they replace Stevie. If she can still do it, no one else will do). Its just silly at this point, even moreso after watching these videos.

Agree with all above, Christine as we know was replaceable, i think also Mick Fleetwood is amazing too, the way he beats with Lindsey's guitar, slightly off and its just unique, that rhythm section with John is awesome, would hate to see John or Mick replaced.
But as for Buckingham, he's brought so much to the band, to sack him because he wanted to make another album is just ridiculous. He is Fleetwood Mack .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-12 17:58 by keithsman.

Date: April 12, 2018 17:55

RollingFreak

Couldn't agree more.

I always thought they were kind of a pop band when I first saw them on the Mirage tour and I mainly liked the Stevie Nicks songs, but I couldn't believe how good
Lindsay Buckingham was live! Became an instant fan and have since delved deeply into their back catalog and enjoy every version of Fleetwood Mac leading up to Mirage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-12 17:55 by kovach.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 12, 2018 17:57

keithsman
RollingFreak

Agreed, Christine is replaceable and was replaced for a time, i think also Mick Fleetwood is amazing too, the way he beats with Lindsey's guitar, slightly off but its just unique, that rhythm section with John is awesome, would hate to see John replaced .

This was a really great song on an otherwise rather subpar album from that new Buckingham McVie project. But John and Mick shine as a rhythm section, particularly Fleetwood's drum breaks which make me smile so much more than a 70 year old man simply playing drums should. But it sounds @#$%& awesome. Like you said, incredibly unique player:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 12, 2018 17:59

RollingFreak
keithsman
RollingFreak

Agreed, Christine is replaceable and was replaced for a time, i think also Mick Fleetwood is amazing too, the way he beats with Lindsey's guitar, slightly off but its just unique, that rhythm section with John is awesome, would hate to see John replaced .

This was a really great song on an otherwise rather subpar album from that new Buckingham McVie project. But John and Mick shine as a rhythm section, particularly Fleetwood's drum breaks which make me smile so much more than a 70 year old man simply playing drums should. But it sounds @#$%& awesome. Like you said, incredibly unique player:

[www.youtube.com]

Snap. On my edited post we hit on the same thoughts smileys with beer

Date: April 12, 2018 18:10

Everyone will hate me now, but i don't think Charlie is anything like as good as Mick Fleetwood.
Charlie is almost disinterested in comparison.

I know Charlie is loyal and all that but he just seems to wish he was elsewhere.

Its like he does the drums because Keith asks, not because he wants to.

Date: April 12, 2018 19:56

keithsman
Everyone will hate me now, but i don't think Charlie is anything like as good as Mick Fleetwood.

I know Charlie is loyal and all that but he just seems to wish he was elsewhere.

2 different styles of drumming . read mick fleetwoods books

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 12, 2018 22:13

keefriff99
Leonioid
daspyknows
Leonioid

Seems like a lot people these days are collecting concerts more to check things off some bucket list (e.g. so they can say "I went to Desert trip"it all in loving fun

Someone who DIDN'T go to Desert Trip

wut?
I think he means that for the people who went to Desert Trip, it wasn't just about crossing some names off a list...it was a real, live, vibrant rock'n'roll experience with artists who can still deliver even at their advanced ages.

wut?

Date: April 12, 2018 22:18

keefriffhard4life
keithsman

2 different styles of drumming . read mick fleetwoods books

Mick Fleetwood is a legendary drummer, an excellent drummer... and a Hollywood actor too.

Charlie is an excellent drummer too but he has style unst his own. He is amazing. His drumming is kind of different than any other (that I know of). I only fully appreciated this when I stated trying to learn, play and write drums. I started really listening to drums... and Charlie does some cool different things. The Stones would sound very different without Charlies drumming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-12 22:19 by Leonioid.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 13, 2018 01:17

keefriff99
Leonioid
daspyknows
Leonioid

Seems like a lot people these days are collecting concerts more to check things off some bucket list (e.g. so they can say "I went to Desert trip"it all in loving fun

wut?
I think he means that for the people who went to Desert Trip, it wasn't just about crossing some names off a list...it was a real, live, vibrant rock'n'roll experience with artists who can still deliver even at their advanced ages.

Exactly. I doubt you will find many who attend who felt like they were checking off a bucket list item and it wasn't an epic event. On the other hand the thoughts of those who didn't attend seem to feel like it wasn't a big deal event.

Date: April 13, 2018 02:46

daspyknows
keefriff99
Leonioid
daspyknows
Leonioid

wut?

Exactly. I doubt you will find many who attend who felt like they were checking off a bucket list item and it wasn't an epic event. On the other hand the thoughts of those who didn't attend seem to feel like it wasn't a big deal event.

doth protest too much

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 13, 2018 06:01

daspyknows
keefriff99
Leonioid
daspyknows
Leonioid

wut?

wut?

Date: April 13, 2018 06:15

daspyknows
daspyknows
keefriff99
Leonioid
daspyknows
Leonioid

wut?

wut?

Exactly.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 13, 2018 17:50

Bad idea. Bad timing (this late in career).

Agree with most who say they would not pay big $$$ for this line-up.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 13, 2018 18:01

I´m happy to have seen them with ALL of them in Antwerpen 2015:
MF, LB, C+JMcV, SN.

What a great show. And so stupid to think you can replace anyone
of them - it´s just not the same.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-13 18:07 by TooTough.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: April 14, 2018 05:54

That is a real shame letting him go. He's a important figure in the band. Will the Mac tour behind be a new lp?

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 14, 2018 07:45

babyblue
Will the Mac tour behind be a new lp?

Not for this tour...it's supposed to be a long one and was originally planned as a farewell (prior to Lindsey's departure). I don't imagine they'll be doing any extended jaunts after this.

As for an LP, last year's "Buckingham/McVie" album was supposed to be an FM album...everyone but Stevie was on it.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: April 14, 2018 10:11

Thanks JP. Looking forward to seeing them in fall or next year.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 15, 2018 04:57

I'll be very curious to see how they market this tour with this line-up. Cheaper tix? Smaller venues? Both? Secondary/Tertiary markets? If they are not willing to make that kind of adjustment, I would not be surprised if a tour gets cancelled/ postponed and we see a return of Lindsey for their "Grit Our Teeth And Bear Each Other One More Time Tour" in 2019.

Date: April 15, 2018 05:21

Tate
I'll be very curious to see how they market this tour with this line-up. Cheaper tix? Smaller venues? Both? Secondary/Tertiary markets? If they are not willing to make that kind of adjustment, I would not be surprised if a tour gets cancelled/ postponed and we see a return of Lindsey for their "Grit Our Teeth And Bear Each Other One More Time Tour" in 2019.

There's lots of speculation among Mac fans of what really went down (possible ultimatums), but there may have been a conversation with promoters regarding what was a more viable proposition - an FM tour without Lindsey, or an FM tour without Stevie. I'm guessing after some careful market analysis (and considering the Eagles' recent touring success without Glenn Frey), I'm sure they're going ahead mostly as planned with a certain degree of confidence.

As a longtime FM fan, I have no interest in seeing this lineup (despite my great respect for Mike Campbell)...but as discussed in this thread, there are plenty of casual fans who won't notice or care. They'll hear the familiar songs - regardless of who's playing or singing them - and will gleefully say, "I saw Fleetwood Mac!"

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 15, 2018 05:43

I would put myself in the casual fan category and wouldn't go see the current line-up. Would have definitely considered with the complete line-up as my wife is a bigger fan and it would make for a great night out.
I equate this to the Stones "firing" Ronnie Wood as far as the impact on the band, although perhaps I diminish Buckingham's talent in that comparison.

Date: April 15, 2018 06:15

MisterDDDD
I equate this to the Stones "firing" Ronnie Wood as far as the impact on the band, although perhaps I diminish Buckingham's talent in that comparison.

It's a little different...Buckingham's role as a songwriter, guitarist, vocalist, arranger and producer cannot be overstated. A significant stage presence as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-15 06:16 by Jah Paul.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: April 15, 2018 08:36

Jah Paul
MisterDDDD

It's a little different...Buckingham's role as a songwriter, guitarist, vocalist, arranger and producer cannot be overstated. A significant stage presence as well.

Indeed - it's more equivalent to Queen firing Roger Taylor. (I know RT is the drummer, but I think the comparison is apt - a songwriter and singer and major part of the sound, but one they could still present themselves to the public as the same band without).

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 15, 2018 08:40

Mick Mars might be available; and they are all in the same town...
so let's not over-react to this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-15 08:44 by hopkins.

Date: April 15, 2018 09:36

hopkins
Mick Mars might be available; and they are all in the same town...
so let's not over-react to this.
grinning smiley
smiling bouncing smiley
hot smiley

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 15, 2018 18:55

If there was an interesting new album... Something to tour off of, I'd be more willing to justify it. As Jah said, LB is just too prominent a figure in the band, and with Christine McVie returning, and Stevie not participating in the McVie/Buckingham album, having LB out of the picture is a bit of an insult to fans who just want a complete band. I saw the tour in '14 with Christine, and man, they sound so great together. The album they did without Christine was flat and empty sounding without her. In the 80's, when LB left, it was a new and interesting lineup, and there was an album. This is different. It is yet another incomplete FM lineup, and this time without a very major attraction. There's no Go Your Own Way, or live Oh Well, or the Chain for godsake, and all those incredible backing vocals, without LB. Yes, SOME casual fans won't care, but that's why Journey plays tiny venues these days (and there's the fact that Journey is a horrid band, but I digress).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-15 19:04 by Tate.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: April 15, 2018 21:38

I think Neil Finn can do a good job of covering Lindsey's vocals, including "Go Your Own Way." It's not the same, but it will be a professional, competent show with Neil and Mike Campbell. It is similar to the Eagles touring with Vince Gill. I wouldn't pay to see either the Eagles or Fleetwood Mac, but casual fans will get a decent show for these lineups.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1434
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home