Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 17
Re: OT:Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham
Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 11, 2018 01:58

RollingFreak
Is it still seen as the farewell tour? Or has Lindsey leaving changed that and this will now just be "another tour"? Thats a genuine question, cause I feel Farewell was probably being used maybe cause it was true but also as this tour's gimmick. With Lindsey gone and these guys in, I feel you don't need that gimmick anymore. Either you're on board with this or you're not.

It probably has changed now that Lindsey's gone. Originally, they were aiming for a 50th anniversary tour last year (accompanied by a new album), but that never materialized with Stevie not participating in the album, which led to Buckingham/McVie and their tour...then we started hearing about the "Farewell Tour" coming in 2018, with rehearsals commencing in March.

I think they planned on it being a true farewell because it was probably becoming more difficult to get all the principals (Lindsey-Stevie-Christine) on the same page, plus age and John's health issues...they couldn't make it happen, so here we are.

Interesting tidbit - the complete Rumours-era lineup has done only two tours (1997 and 2014/15) in the last 36 years! Kind of blows my mind.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 11, 2018 02:06

Jah Paul
Interesting tidbit - the complete Rumours-era lineup has done only two tours (1997 and 2014/15) in the last 36 years! Kind of blows my mind.
Yeah, it is kinda strange but thats just cause Christine and Lindsey seem to always be on different pages. Obviously you have 75-87, then Lindsey left but Christine stayed. And Christine stayed through all the crap up till 97. And there was a LOT of crap. Then Lindsey finally came back, and by the time that tour was done Christine was DONE. She had been with this band since 1970? Thats over 25 years of intense shit, most of which didn't involve you. So it makes total sense, especially when you don't forget that Christine hadn't been here for a very long time before this new tour. That was the big draw. I NEVER would have seen them without Christine but with her it seemed worth it. Now that she's back it seems like its been that way since The Dance, but yeah, especially now that Lindsey is gone thats really why that last tour was so cool, cause it truly was something they hadn't done in forever.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 11, 2018 02:28

35love
OT on the OT FM thread/ quick conscious footnote:
I did initially make a little fun of Axl Rose when he opened Coachella in a wheelchair without socks on,
but he pulled out and went on to be on time and give full shows/ good reviews for G Roses shows, then AC/DC shows making fans happy. Well done.

I agree 100%, Axl did good. He did a lot better than I thought he would.

I still some pissing and moaning from GNRACDC fans about if he is right for the spots the whole situation... and I dont know if he is or he isnt... but one thing is for sure...

Axl got his act together and did his fkg job like a good boy should. And he made a shtton of money. He grabbed that brass ring. He did not squander his opportunity. I would have bet against him lasting a year without some sort of implosion drama fest (especially after he started so poorly with that foot thing)... but he seems to have stayed out of the tabloids and... indeed... Well done. thumbs up

Good job Axl Rose!smileys with beer

Date: April 11, 2018 02:48

RollingFreak
Jah Paul

I NEVER would have seen them without Christine but with her it seemed worth it. Now that she's back it seems like its been that way since The Dance, but yeah, especially now that Lindsey is gone thats really why that last tour was so cool, cause it truly was something they hadn't done in forever.

I only saw Fleetwood Mac twice - once in December 1990 (without Lindsey) when it was announced Stevie and Christine were "retiring" from touring. It was the last show of the tour at The Forum in Los Angeles...Lindsey came out in the middle of the set to do "Landslide" and returned later for "Go Your Own Way" and Johnny Burnette's "Tear It Up" on the encore (fitting with Billy Burnette in the band at the time).

Unfortunately, I missed "The Dance" tour (tickets sold out instantly, if I recall) and wasn't particularly interested in the tours without Christine that followed, so I skipped those. Luckily, I saw everyone together in 2014...back at the old Forum. Was looking forward to one more time, but what can you do.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 11, 2018 03:46

Danny Kirwan (1968 to 1972) He wrote and played Sands Of Time which is one of my favorites by Fleetwood Mac. What a tune!
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: April 11, 2018 07:19

Leonioid
If people didnt see FM back in the late 70s early 80s then they missed the best incarnation of the band... and there have been many incarnations of FM...

I saw FM twice in ‘77 and once in ‘80, all great shows. And then caught them again in 2015. They lost none of their musical integrity — to my surprise, the performance was even better (and longer) than the classic Rumores/Tusk era. Lindsey’s guitar play in I’m So Afraid was insane and stunned the audience.

Don’t talk about their look...everybody gets old.winking smiley

Date: April 11, 2018 08:00

RisingStone
Leonioid
If people didnt see FM back in the late 70s early 80s then they missed the best incarnation of the band... and there have been many incarnations of FM...

I saw FM twice in ‘77 and once in ‘80, all great shows. And then caught them again in 2015. They lost none of their musical integrity — to my surprise, the performance was even better (and longer) than the classic Rumores/Tusk era. Lindsey’s guitar play in I’m So Afraid was insane and stunned the audience.

Don’t talk about their look...everybody gets old.winking smiley

Its all in the eye of the beholder. Yes, no band lives forever or stays at the top of their game their entire life. Yes, I never did see the Stones at their peak in 72 or 69 or whenever you feel their "peak" was. But I saw them in 2013, and they put on one hell of a show truly spanning a career, with Mick Taylor as well, that I think would make any jaded Stones fan proud. No, I didn't see a cocaine fueled spectacular exhibition of pure rock n roll, but I did see Philly 2 on that 50th tour where they were tight, energetic and a joy to witness. I felt the same when seeing Fleetwood Mac a couple years ago. Of course its not young artists in their prime, but its far more than your run of the mill oldies show with no emotion, and its far better than people in their late 60s, early 70s should be. You take what you can get. There's something to be said for some of these latter performances by aging rock bands 20, 30, 40 years removed from their prime. Sometimes they do put on a show that truly rivals their formative years in a way that you only can do having 20, 30, 40 years of appreciation for your past work.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 11, 2018 08:26

THE AUSTRALIAN --- 11 April 2018 ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 11, 2018 09:52

keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom
tomcasagranda
Mike Campbell does a good job with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, covering Oh Well Part 1 on the Live Anthology set. I think he could be a good blend with Fleetwood Mac.

I'm debating getting hold of some Buckingham solo material.

I'd recommend Out of the Cradle & Go Insane. There's a bootleg version of Gift of Screws that has 2 or 3 Stones covers on it that are awesome. Worth hunting down.

all of his solo albums are great. I'd really like to know what the tracklisting was going to be for his late 80's solo album and the original gift of screws that was set for release around 2000

unofficial Gift of Screws. i have this around somewhere. the stones covers are awesome. that period of the stones was really my favorite.

"Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind" (released on Under the Skin)
"Miranda" (released with additional overdubs on Fleetwood Mac's Say You Will)
"Steal Your Heart Away" (released with additional overdubs on Say You Will)
"Red Rover" (released on Say You Will)
"She Smiled Sweetly" (Rolling Stones cover) (alternate recording released on Seeds We Sow)
"Come" (released on Say You Will)
"Down on Rodeo" (released on Under the Skin)
"Gotta Get Away" (Rolling Stones cover)
"Try for the Sun" (released on Under the Skin as "To Try for the Sun")
"Shuffle Riff" (released as "Wait for You" on official release)
"Murrow" (released on Say You Will as "Murrow Turning Over in His Grave")
"Gift of Screws" (released on official release)
"Bleed to Love Her" (live version released on The Dance, studio version released on Say You Will)
"Twist of Fate" (released as "The Right Place to Fade" on official release)
"Go Insane" (live version recorded for The Dance, released on The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac)
"Say Goodbye" (released on Say You Will)
"The Singer Not the Song" (Rolling Stones Cover)

Date: April 11, 2018 10:00

Munichhilton
Neil Finn has a storied fantastic career and it’s still keeping him comfy...I hope they don’t make him sing Tusk...

I want to hear him sing Tusk! grinning smiley

Date: April 11, 2018 11:57

Landslide Live 1977 with some cool talk at the end
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 11, 2018 14:01

"Danny Kirwan (1968 to 1972)
As Green became less reliable, Fleetwood Mac brought on guitarist Danny Kirwan. By the late-1960s, he was writing many of their hits, including "The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown)," but he had a hard time getting along with Green and the rest of the group. He began drinking heavily and the group fired him after he got into a nasty backstage brawl with American guitarist Bob Welch"

RS got it wrong. Kirwan has no writing credit on Green Manalishi. As great a player as Danny was, GM is a Green masterpiece.

Date: April 11, 2018 15:44

crholmstrom
keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom
tomcasagranda
Mike Campbell does a good job with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, covering Oh Well Part 1 on the Live Anthology set. I think he could be a good blend with Fleetwood Mac.

I'm debating getting hold of some Buckingham solo material.

I'd recommend Out of the Cradle & Go Insane. There's a bootleg version of Gift of Screws that has 2 or 3 Stones covers on it that are awesome. Worth hunting down.

all of his solo albums are great. I'd really like to know what the tracklisting was going to be for his late 80's solo album and the original gift of screws that was set for release around 2000

unofficial Gift of Screws. i have this around somewhere. the stones covers are awesome. that period of the stones was really my favorite.

"Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind" (released on Under the Skin)
"Miranda" (released with additional overdubs on Fleetwood Mac's Say You Will)
"Steal Your Heart Away" (released with additional overdubs on Say You Will)
"Red Rover" (released on Say You Will)
"She Smiled Sweetly" (Rolling Stones cover) (alternate recording released on Seeds We Sow)
"Come" (released on Say You Will)
"Down on Rodeo" (released on Under the Skin)
"Gotta Get Away" (Rolling Stones cover)
"Try for the Sun" (released on Under the Skin as "To Try for the Sun")
"Shuffle Riff" (released as "Wait for You" on official release)
"Murrow" (released on Say You Will as "Murrow Turning Over in His Grave")
"Gift of Screws" (released on official release)
"Bleed to Love Her" (live version released on The Dance, studio version released on Say You Will)
"Twist of Fate" (released as "The Right Place to Fade" on official release)
"Go Insane" (live version recorded for The Dance, released on The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac)
"Say Goodbye" (released on Say You Will)
"The Singer Not the Song" (Rolling Stones Cover)

yeah I have seen that. it seems like a list though of songs he was working on and not what the final tracklisting would be. originally "my little demon" that appears on the dance was going to be part of the gift of screws release but its not even listed on that tracklisting. "go insane" was not for gift of screws and the rolling stones covers were not 100% verified as part of the gift of screws original tracklisting

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 11, 2018 18:45

filstan
As Green became less reliable, Fleetwood Mac brought on guitarist Danny Kirwan. By the late-1960s, he was writing many of their hits, including "The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown)," but he had a hard time getting along with Green and the rest of the group. He began drinking heavily and the group fired him after he got into a nasty backstage brawl with American guitarist Bob Welch"

RS got it wrong. Kirwan has no writing credit on Green Manalishi. As great a player as Danny was, GM is a Green masterpiece.

Yes, Peter Green must be the saddest, most talented drug casualty of them all. He had it all, superb guitar player, vocalist. And the songs he wrote in the 1967/70 period. Masterpieces.
Do FM play 'Man of the World' ? Doesn't seem right without Greeney somehow.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 11, 2018 18:58

filstan

thumbs up Yeah the bastards almost had me fooled - as I noted in my original post I was almost 100% sure it was a Peter Green song.

The article also fails to mention Hypnotized from the Bob Welch era which he wrote and was perhaps the biggest hit from that period. And while it does mention his Sentimental Lady, pretty sure it wasn't until he re-recorded it later as a solo artist that it became better known - at least to me anyways (ironically the latter version was recorded with Mick Fleetwood, Christine McVie, and Lindsey Buckingham backing him *according to wiki).

Always loved this song and would rank it in my top 10 of all Fleetwood Mac songs of all eras.
Fleetwood Mac - Hypnotized

Date: April 11, 2018 19:04

jlowe
filstan

Yes, Peter Green must be the saddest, most talented drug casualty of them all. He had it all, superb guitar player, vocalist. And the songs he wrote in the 1967/70 period. Masterpieces.
Do FM play 'Man of the World' ? Doesn't seem right without Greeney somehow.

Yesterday my dad and I were going over early Fleetwood Mac (cause he loves Kiln House and Future Games and all that stuff) and started asking about Green Manalishi and Oh Well and Rattlesnake Shake. Every one he was like "who wrote that one?" And I was like "I'll make this simple for you: every early fantastic Fleetwood Mac song before he left was basically written by Peter Green." The man was so abundantly talented and so unfortunately but understandably forgotten in music history that I can agree he may be the saddest drug casualty. So much incredible talent in such a small amount of time. Very similar to Syd Barrett to me, just in terms of going completely mental, but having a far better catalogue IMO. Its sincerely very sad.

Fleetwood Mac currently do not play Man Of The World or any other pre-Buckingham/Nicks songs and have not in a very long time. To my knowledge, the only thing that sometimes got regular inclusion was Oh Well, at Lindsey's request I believe, but that was many years ago at this point (and that was very cool because Lindsey can kill that song). I'm not sure if they ever play or have played any other early FM songs. Which is so sad because its these incredible songs that sincerely a lot of serious music fans know that never even get touched. Judas Priest still play Green Manalishi every night, meanwhile Mick Fleetwood and John McVie probably haven't touched it in 40 years!

I will say, I was so happy for Peter Green that he was present for their Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction. I wish Jeremy Spencer was and Danny Kirwan was and several others, but I'm happy Peter was because he was so key to the beginning of it all and deserved to be there. He never got to speak, and then Fleetwood Mac played all their middle era stuff which I thought was wrong, but for a reclusive guy I'm happy he came and played with Santana. I have no idea how he's doing now but I'm happy that at least 20 years ago he was well enough to accept that honor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-11 19:11 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 11, 2018 19:11

If you want to read a comprehensive biography of Peter Green, check out Martin Celmins book. Pretty sure its available from Amazon.
Met the author once in Bradford (our respective home town). Went to the same school!
He's a good blues guitar player..stage name 'Jet Black'. Quite an authoritive writer on blues music in general. Not seen his Rory Gallagher bio as yet.Maybe he's still working on it.

Date: April 11, 2018 19:44

RollingFreak
To my knowledge, the only thing that sometimes got regular inclusion was Oh Well, at Lindsey's request I believe, but that was many years ago at this point (and that was very cool because Lindsey can kill that song). I'm not sure if they ever play or have played any other early FM songs. Which is so sad because its these incredible songs that sincerely a lot of serious music fans know that never even get touched. Judas Priest still play Green Manalishi every night, meanwhile Mick Fleetwood and John McVie probably haven't touched it in 40 years!

They played "Oh Well," "I Loved Another Woman," "Stop Messin' Round," and occasionally "Rattlesnake Shake" during their 1987-88 tour (with Billy Burnette and Rick Vito)...although Burnette handled most of Lindsey's lead vocals, I believe Vito sang lead on all the Peter Green tunes, except for "Oh Well."

Date: April 11, 2018 19:46

Huh, interesting. Guess that definitely makes sense that they probably had to pad the set with other stuff and those songs would definitely fit the bill.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 11, 2018 19:55

jlowe
If you want to read a comprehensive biography of Peter Green, check out Martin Celmins book. Pretty sure its available from Amazon.
Met the author once in Bradford (our respective home town). Went to the same school!
He's a good blues guitar player..stage name 'Jet Black'. Quite an authoritive writer on blues music in general. Not seen his Rory Gallagher bio as yet.Maybe he's still working on it.

Yes, this Celmins Peter Green book is a good read. I have also enjoyed two of Mick Fleetwood's books as well. All essential reading for "old Mac" fans. Diving further into Peter Green is the DVD "The Peter Green Story, Man of the World". Well worth seeking out imo and a very enjoyable, yet sad story.

Speaking of sad stories, what about Danny Kirwan?

Date: April 11, 2018 20:05

filstan
Speaking of sad stories, what about Danny Kirwan?

Yeah, his story is not much more successful. He basically had spectacular failure after Fleetwood Mac and then according to Wikipedia:

"During the late 1970s Kirwan's mental health deteriorated significantly and since then he has played no further part in the music industry. During the 1980s and 1990s, he endured a period of homelessness living in London.

In a 2009 BBC TV documentary about Peter Green, Clifford Davis blamed Kirwan's mental deterioration on the same incident that damaged Green's mental stability, i.e. a reaction to LSD taken at a party at a commune in Munich, Germany in late March 1970. Davis stated:

"Peter Green and Danny Kirwan both went together to that house in Munich, both of them took acid as I understand it, [and] both of them, as of that day, became seriously mentally ill."

How much of that second part is true is unclear, but the bottom line is it seems for both of those men creating Fleetwood Mac really chewed them up and spit them out, continuing onto ridiculous success without them. Very talented players that unfortunately seemed to be completely used up by the time the band fired them. Kirwan was so talented too. Jewel Eyed Judy has always been one of my favorite Mac songs.

Date: April 11, 2018 20:12

RollingFreak
Huh, interesting. Guess that definitely makes sense that they probably had to pad the set with other stuff and those songs would definitely fit the bill.

Yeah, Mick's whole promo campaign for that tour was that they would be "exploring the band's history" and "this band existed before Lindsey and will go on without him" etc. etc. I notice he's resorting to those same kind of comments now, saying the band has always "evolved" and will continue to do so...a fair argument thirty years ago, but doesn't make much sense at this late stage of the band's career.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 11, 2018 20:40

Great subtleties in his playing, really understood how to get guitar lines to make a song "breathe".

Without Lindsey Buckingham, Fleetwood Mac can no longer do this: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 11, 2018 20:42

Leonioid

Seems like a lot people these days are collecting concerts more to check things off some bucket list (e.g. so they can say "I went to Desert trip"it all in loving fun

Someone who DIDN'T go to Desert Trip

Date: April 11, 2018 21:35

Jah Paul
RollingFreak
To my knowledge, the only thing that sometimes got regular inclusion was Oh Well, at Lindsey's request I believe, but that was many years ago at this point (and that was very cool because Lindsey can kill that song). I'm not sure if they ever play or have played any other early FM songs. Which is so sad because its these incredible songs that sincerely a lot of serious music fans know that never even get touched. Judas Priest still play Green Manalishi every night, meanwhile Mick Fleetwood and John McVie probably haven't touched it in 40 years!

They played "Oh Well," "I Loved Another Woman," "Stop Messin' Round," and occasionally "Rattlesnake Shake" during their 1987-88 tour (with Billy Burnette and Rick Vito)...although Burnette handled most of Lindsey's lead vocals, I believe Vito sang lead on all the Peter Green tunes, except for "Oh Well."

the early Buckingham/nicks tours included "station
man", "why", "hypnotized" , "green manalishi", "spare me a little of your love", "oh well", "believe me", "tell me all the things you do" and maybe 2 more pre Buckingham/nicks tunes

Date: April 11, 2018 21:58

daspyknows
Leonioid

Seems like a lot people these days are collecting concerts more to check things off some bucket list (e.g. so they can say "I went to Desert trip"it all in loving fun

wut?

Date: April 11, 2018 22:03

keefriffhard4life
the early Buckingham/nicks tours included "station
man", "why", "hypnotized" , "green manalishi", "spare me a little of your love", "oh well", "believe me", "tell me all the things you do" and maybe 2 more pre Buckingham/nicks tunes

Indeed...with the new lineup having only recorded the white album at that point, those early tours were quite interesting.

Date: April 12, 2018 14:41

from Neil Finn: Snow warnings for parts of the country, the mystery of Stonehenge solved and yes I’ve joined Fleetwood Mac

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 12, 2018 15:01

Leonioid
daspyknows
Leonioid

wut?
I think he means that for the people who went to Desert Trip, it wasn't just about crossing some names off a list...it was a real, live, vibrant rock'n'roll experience with artists who can still deliver even at their advanced ages.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 12, 2018 16:10

More Hot Rocks
If Dickie Betts can be let go from The ABB then so can Buckingham.

No kidding. I only saw them once without Dickey and it was because I already had tickets before he was fired, and it was not the same by a long shot.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home