Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Support Acts - Opener for RS Tour 2018
Posted by: spunky ()
Date: April 23, 2018 12:26

Any news on the Dublin Support act?

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: April 23, 2018 13:03

Rte say's support act's so maybe we will get 2 will see @ 12:30 GMT....Around that time anyway....Cool they put Ld's back on sale...M

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: April 23, 2018 14:29

Some great acts, would have loved to have seen Elbow or Liam Gallagher at Twickenham

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 23, 2018 14:32

The Academic in Dublin

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: April 23, 2018 14:35

erikjjf
The Academic in Dublin

they know their way around a catchy chorus

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 23, 2018 17:49

Well known opening acts = ticket sales could be better ;-) But if they were really bad, they had booked Dylan, AC/DC or something like this.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 23, 2018 18:24

Totally pleased to be able to see Gallagher Jr at Stratford. Somewhat meh towards seeing James Bay in Twickers.

Date: April 23, 2018 18:29

Monsoon Ragoon
Well known opening acts = ticket sales could be better ;-) But if they were really bad, they had booked Dylan, AC/DC or something like this.

How do you «book» AC/DC these days?

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: April 23, 2018 18:44

Does anyone reckon that Richard Ashcroft will join the Stones on stage to do the definitive version of their collaboration winking smiley "Bittersweet Symphony"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKC5cdGBY04

Posted by: Healy52003 ()
Date: April 23, 2018 18:45

Really expected better for Dublin considering the big deal they made of it

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 23, 2018 18:52

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

How do you «book» AC/DC these days?

Don't think Dylan would have made any difference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-23 19:42 by mtaylor.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 23, 2018 19:08

Seems many people are citing the old Verve tune Bitterweet Symphony (and the sample it used) when speaking of Richard Ashcroft - a tune that is over 20 years old.
Does anyone know anything about the actual music he's put out since then as a solo artist? I liked the Verve back in the day (and still have a cassette or two), but To be honest, I thought Ashcroft disappeared from the face of the earth around the year 2000. Recommendations and/or some youtube links of some of his greatest here would be appreciated.

And Liam Gallagher aka Loudmouth Gallagher...I'm familiar with much of his post Oasis tunes, but find it watered down rehash of Oasis. And I like(d) the first two Oasis albums when they were released, but many have said even they were a watered down rehash of the Beatles/Stones, etc...so where does that leave Liam solo? A rehash of a rehash? Would have to think he'll sing many Oasis tunes in his set living off the glory, and I imagine if he sings Wonderwall and Live Forever, he'll be an adequate opener. Mostly curious about what kind of crap he might spout off about from the stage...maybe something like "Noel is a twat and wishes he could be here instead of me...but they chose me because I'm better" lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-23 19:22 by Hairball.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 23, 2018 19:17

textmonkey
erikjjf
The Academic in Dublin

they know their way around a catchy chorus

[www.youtube.com]
First thought was "are they even old enough to get by the "no kids on the pitch" rule?
cool smiley Must be getting old..

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 24, 2018 11:43

Fnx for making this a 'sticky'.

Opening Acts UK announced
Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: April 23, 2018 02:11

22 May – LONDON – Liam Gallagher

25 May – LONDON – Florence + the Machine

29 May – SOUTHAMPTON – The Vaccines

02 Jun – COVENTRY – The Specials

05 Jun – MANCHESTER – Richard Ashcroft

09 Jun – EDINBURGH – Richard Ashcroft

15 Jun – CARDIFF – Elbow

19 Jun – TWICKENHAM – James Bay

Re: Opening Acts UK announced
Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 23, 2018 02:22

I wouldn’t go to see any of these, but still the strongest line up of support acts for the Stones in a good few years.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 23, 2018 02:30

This is by FAAAAR the best calibre of support acts on any Stones tour yet. I even want to see some of them, whereas I have never cared a fig in the past about seeing any support act.

If I were cynical, I'd say they might be hoping to boost ticket sales.

If not, I'd say they were aiming to give their UK shows just that bit extra.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: April 23, 2018 02:36

Past opening acts include Van Halen. The J Geils Band and ZZ Top. This list is far from impressive.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 23, 2018 02:40

Spodlumt
Past opening acts include Van Halen. The J Geils Band and ZZ Top. This list is far from impressive.

hahahahahaha

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 23, 2018 02:45

Great bands. Ashcroft and Gallagher are doing a half-dozen North American shows together, so that saves me $70-odd. The Vaccines are excellent, though I haven't heard their new album. I believe they already opened for the Stones. The Specials, obviously, are a big deal.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: April 23, 2018 02:57

Past openers have also included Prince and Stevie WonDEr.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 23, 2018 03:48

I'm surprised One Direction didn't make the list, considering how Ronnie likes them so much and the lead singer is supposed to be such a Mickalike.

Here's an alphabetical list of past opening acts: [www.timeisonourside.com]

The past opening act I'd most like to see open again: The Who

Um, wasn't Mr. Ashcroft sued by Stones Incorporated eons ago?

And now he has two opening slots while all the others get just one apiece?

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: April 23, 2018 04:14

Bastion
Spodlumt

hahahahahaha

Classic Van Halen is no laughing matter... If you partied in The States in the late '70s and into the '80s and beyond, VH was the prime soundtrack!

Think of these 3 from an American point of view, and I will remember that I'd never heard of The Specials until I saw them mentioned here a few weeks ago!

I believe Richard Ashcroft is from The Verve, if I'm not mistaken? I shall Wiki promptly, and enlighten myself!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 23, 2018 04:16

May not technically make the list, but I also now count Bob Dylan as an opener.
At least for me.

Dylan's Desert Trip performances were good, but the headliner on those Friday nights, were The Rolling Stones.

Best ever opener for me was the J Geils Band, followed by Van Morrison.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 23, 2018 04:40

Other than the *The Specials, not too impressed.
I used to like The Verve and the first couple of Oasis albums, but not so sure about Ashcroft or Gallager's solo careers as neither have really matched their former glory on their own.
Florence and the Machine might be ok, but not really familiar with them other than Florence guesting on Gimme Shelter and an appearance I saw on SNL several years back.
*It should be noted that The Specials are missing several key members from the past, and are now far from what they once were, but still should be great.

Best openers I recall seeing are Toots and the Maytalls and the J.Geils Band.

EDIT: Looking at the list posted above, I'd add the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Buddy Guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-23 04:50 by Hairball.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 23, 2018 05:10

TKinOH
Bastion
Spodlumt

hahahahahaha

Classic Van Halen is no laughing matter... If you partied in The States in the late '70s and into the '80s and beyond, VH was the prime soundtrack!

Think of these 3 from an American point of view, and I will remember that I'd never heard of The Specials until I saw them mentioned here a few weeks ago!

I believe Richard Ashcroft is from The Verve, if I'm not mistaken? I shall Wiki promptly, and enlighten myself!

Exactly! The Mighty Van Halen were the biggest rock band in North America in the early 80's. Stones, AC/DC and Van Halen were my 3 favourite bands in high school and still are to this day!
I am an Oasis fan and apart from the Verve publishing problem with ABKCO, I don't know any songs from the other bands. I've never heard of James Bay, Elbow, The Specials or The Vaccines.

As far as great opening bands over the years, VH, AC/DC, Yardbirds, ZZ Top, Thorogood...

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: April 23, 2018 05:57

Liam Gallagher is good

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: April 23, 2018 06:58

In Micks words, "Only his brother was talented", I am really surprised that , after having said that, Liam is willing to open for the Stones. The first few albums from Oasis are fantastic, loaded with energy.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: April 23, 2018 07:37

Spodlumt

That was a different era. You need to get the Tardis out to revisit those times. Last time that I saw the JGBand was in 1981 with the Stones at Candlestick Park.

Richard Ashcroft is brilliant. Elbow too.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 23, 2018 08:20

mandu
Liam Gallagher is good

He was also asked for Manchester but he refused to play Old Trafford.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1913
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home