Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT Singers that Sound (almost) the Same as they did 50 Years Ago
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 11, 2018 05:37

jlowe
Keith sings far better than in might have expected, given his self abuse. Certainly on the ballads. Lots of feeling. Mr Soul!

Slightly off track, I wondered how these magnificent vocalists would sound, if they were still with us:
John Lennon
Elvis Presley
Freddie Mercury
Roy Orbison.

Roy just soared like a bird...fantastic.

Roy was singing great up until he passed away in '88 and I imagine he would have still sounded great had he lived to be 100!

Another I wonder about is Jim Morrison - his vocals already had changed quite a bit between the first album and L.A. Woman (being overweight and drunk might have had something to do with that),
but had he lived and cleaned up his act, would he still be good? Would he even be singing? Or maybe just reciting poetry?

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: April 11, 2018 06:30

Elton John

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 11, 2018 17:23

flilflam
Elton John

Elton John had major vocal surgery in the 80s. He did a tour as a farewell to that voice. He's like the exact opposite of someone that sounds the same as they used to. He sounds completely different, albeit does make it work well.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 11, 2018 17:40

Buddy Holly

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 11, 2018 18:19

JJ Cale

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: April 11, 2018 18:23

Maybe Tiny Tim, LOL...If he was still around..

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 11, 2018 19:02

BamaStone

Likewise Leonard Cohen.
Does he count as a singer though?!

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 11, 2018 22:08

RollingFreak
flilflam
Elton John

Elton John had major vocal surgery in the 80s. He did a tour as a farewell to that voice. He's like the exact opposite of someone that sounds the same as they used to. He sounds completely different, albeit does make it work well.

I prefer his voice post op, its thicker and warmer, same cannot be said for Rod Stewart, his voice has never recovered from his op.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 11, 2018 22:24

BamaStone

Ever see him in the Isle of Wight documentary, Message To Love?

He's great.

God bless Tiny Tim.

Date: April 11, 2018 22:33

RollingFreak
flilflam
Elton John

Elton John has dropped the key of his songs in a major way. His voice is very different, a lot deeper. I would actually use him as an example of the other side: someone whose voice has changed.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 12, 2018 00:30

Just saw Rod Stewart last night in Vancouver, last stop of his Canada tour. I thought he sounded pretty good for a 73 year old. Fourth time I've seen him but first time since the 90's.

Alice Cooper also sounds pretty good still, not that he sang great to begin with! I think he tours more now than he ever did. He's coming to town in August, I might go check him out again. I think I've seen him 6 times over the years.

John Fogerty also sounds pretty good. I just got tickets for a show he announced in Abbotsford just outside Vancouver. I saw him there in the same venue just a couple years ago.

When I saw The Who a couple years ago I thought Daltrey's voice still sounded good and that was the best sounding concert I've heard at Rogers Arena in Vancouver.

Date: April 12, 2018 07:38

DGA35
Alice Cooper also sounds pretty good still, not that he sang great to begin with! I think he tours more now than he ever did. He's coming to town in August, I might go check him out again. I think I've seen him 6 times over the years.

I was kinda waiting for someone to bring up Alice Cooper. Alice Cooper, similar to someone like Rod Stewart, has aged well but its extremely ragged. And I get how people can say that was part of their style but not really. They make it work but don't really sound like they used to. And another thing I assumed might come up that I completely disagree with is that Alice Cooper couldn't sing great to begin with. I used to think that as well but its just patently untrue. He actually had an incredible and dynamic voice. Maybe it didn't come through on all their songs but they had it in spots. The fact that a song like Desperado is sung by the same guy as I'm Eighteen is pretty impressive. Ballad Of Dwight Fry has an incredible roller coaster of vocals on it. A lot of stuff on Nightmare shows his softer side, like Only Women Bleed which was never quite sang as tenderly as the record, as well as his Broadway singing style. I know you probably meant it as a passing comment, but Alice is actually a far more impressive singer than many give him credit for. Again, my go to is Desperado because many people don't know he can sing like that, and unfortunately that range is long gone these days. But he's still great.

Date: April 12, 2018 07:56

RollingFreak
DGA35

I was kinda waiting for someone to bring up Alice Cooper. Alice Cooper, similar to someone like Rod Stewart, has aged well but its extremely ragged. And I get how people can say that was part of their style but not really. They make it work but don't really sound like they used to. And another thing I assumed might come up that I completely disagree with is that Alice Cooper couldn't sing great to begin with. I used to think that as well but its just patently untrue. He actually had an incredible and dynamic voice. Maybe it didn't come through on all their songs but they had it in spots. The fact that a song like Desperado is sung by the same guy as I'm Eighteen is pretty impressive. Ballad Of Dwight Fry has an incredible roller coaster of vocals on it. A lot of stuff on Nightmare shows his softer side, like Only Women Bleed which was never quite sang as tenderly as the record, as well as his Broadway singing style. I know you probably meant it as a passing comment, but Alice is actually a far more impressive singer than many give him credit for. Again, my go to is Desperado because many people don't know he can sing like that, and unfortunately that range is long gone these days. But he's still great.

Perhaps I used the wrong words when I said he couldn't sing great to begin with! Alice was my favourite in the early 70's when I was only 6 thanks to my older siblings. Songs like Mary Ann, Blue Turk, Teenage Lament,I Never Cry, How You Gonna See Me Now show his softer side. The version of Desperado, his tribute to Jim Morrison, on the live Fistful of Alice is excellent.
His current touring band is great, with newest band member, guitarist Nita Strauss, being one of the best female rock guitarists around. She replaced Orianthi, who is also one of the best around.

Date: April 12, 2018 10:06

Its funny that Rod Stewart sounded way rougher as a young man. Now he has smoothed out.
I was thinking about Randy Meisner. Heard a live version of that great song "Take it to the Limit", and he is just wailing away. That last high note is a thing of beauty. He must be a lot older now.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 12, 2018 16:22

DGA35
Just saw Rod Stewart last night in Vancouver, last stop of his Canada tour. I thought he sounded pretty good for a 73 year old. Fourth time I've seen him but first time since the 90's.

John Fogerty also sounds pretty good. I just got tickets for a show he announced in Abbotsford just outside Vancouver. I saw him there in the same venue just a couple years ago.

When I saw The Who a couple years ago I thought Daltrey's voice still sounded good and that was the best sounding concert I've heard at Rogers Arena in Vancouver.

I was going to say, Alice sounds as good as he's ever sounded! Just saw him last month. Seen him maybe 6-7 times in the last ~28 years.

Date: April 12, 2018 16:57

DGA35
RollingFreak
DGA35

Perhaps I used the wrong words when I said he couldn't sing great to begin with! Alice was my favourite in the early 70's when I was only 6 thanks to my older siblings. Songs like Mary Ann, Blue Turk, Teenage Lament,I Never Cry, How You Gonna See Me Now show his softer side. The version of Desperado, his tribute to Jim Morrison, on the live Fistful of Alice is excellent.
His current touring band is great, with newest band member, guitarist Nita Strauss, being one of the best female rock guitarists around. She replaced Orianthi, who is also one of the best around.

Gotcha. Yeah, I assumed it was just a passing comment but just feel the need to expound on his greatness when its questioned because I feel its often forgotten.

Palace Revolution 2000
I was thinking about Randy Meisner. Heard a live version of that great song "Take it to the Limit", and he is just wailing away. That last high note is a thing of beauty. He must be a lot older now.

He is and unfortunately is very sick (I think dementia or something). So sad cause he seems like the nicest man, and obviously had a golden voice. Getting old really sucks.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 12, 2018 17:49

RollingFreak
DGA35
RollingFreak
DGA35

Gotcha. Yeah, I assumed it was just a passing comment but just feel the need to expound on his greatness when its questioned because I feel its often forgotten.

Palace Revolution 2000

He is and unfortunately is very sick (I think dementia or something). So sad cause he seems like the nicest man, and obviously had a golden voice. Getting old really sucks.

Alice is doing Ballad of Dwight Fry and Only Women Bleed on his current tour!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 12, 2018 21:59

Tina Turner over a 50 years period

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: April 14, 2018 10:18

Van Morrison

Date: April 18, 2018 00:34

After seeing Rod Stewart last week, saw Steve Miller w/Peter Frampton last night in Abbotsford just outside of Vancouver. Both their voices sounded pretty good.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 18, 2018 19:26

Every singer who died more than 50 years ago sounds exactly the same today as they did 50 years ago ...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 18, 2018 19:37

Has Aaron Neville been mentioned? Other than now......tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: April 18, 2018 21:59

Colin Blunstone - The Zombies
[www.youtube.com]

bit too slow this version but wow. What a voice when your that age

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home