Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT Singers that Sound (almost) the Same as they did 50 Years Ago
Posted by: Doc ()
Date: April 9, 2018 12:38

Some others are loosing it : AXL Rose has a powerful voice, he screams but he lost his ability of making subtle variations. Or maybe he's getting lazy and does not exercise enough.

Robert Plant also can't hit high notes like before.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: wickerman ()
Date: April 9, 2018 12:44

Bruce Dickinson - now singing better than ever now, despite having throat cancer 3 years ago, aged 59.

Ronnie James Dio - extremely powerful voice up until his death in 2010

Bruce Springsteen - still sounds great live and doing 3h+ concerts

Mick Jagger - don't need to comment, the workhorse of Stones live shows, still performing to the level many people half his age won't

Rob Halford - despite his falsetto being mostly gone, he is singing better than ever in the lower registers. Just listen to the new Judas Priest album!

On the other hand the guys who started loosing it recently include Paul McCartney (clearly too long shows and back-to-back dates didn't help in his case), Axl Rose (although he has improved from pre-reunion period, for sure!), Steven Tyer and not to mention Ozzy Osbourne who has struggled for decades for now...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 9, 2018 15:15

wickerman
Bruce Dickinson - now singing better than ever now, despite having throat cancer 3 years ago, aged 59.

Ronnie James Dio - extremely powerful voice up until his death in 2010

Bruce Springsteen - still sounds great live and doing 3h+ concerts

Mick Jagger - don't need to comment, the workhorse of Stones live shows, still performing to the level many people half his age won't

Rob Halford - despite his falsetto being mostly gone, he is singing better than ever in the lower registers. Just listen to the new Judas Priest album!

On the other hand the guys who started loosing it recently include Paul McCartney (clearly too long shows and back-to-back dates didn't help in his case), Axl Rose (although he has improved from pre-reunion period, for sure!), Steven Tyer and not to mention Ozzy Osbourne who has struggled for decades for now...
I'm a HUGE Maiden and Priest fan, but I couldn't include either Dickinson or Halford in this thread, because both of them have noticeably lost range over the years.

I just saw Priest two weeks ago, and Halford was amazing for 66, but he does struggle with high notes at times...he's still capable of unleashing ungodly screams, but there are other times where he's noticeably frustrated onstage when he can't nail a certain note.

And Bruce is such an amazing performer, but his upper range has been sounded stretched and thin for a while now. He's got great control and his vibrato is still strong, but he's lost some strength in the upper range.

Neither of them are embarrassing themselves like Ozzy or David Coverdale, but they're not in the Steven Tyler/Glenn Hughes/Dio category either.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 9, 2018 15:41

Why not call this thread wishful thinking? Sir Michael, for once, lost his voice in the late nineties. Since then the only thing I'm thinking about when I hear him "singing" is laryngitis. Or Bob Dylan...

The "hard rock" singers mentioned above hardly did singing but screaming rather. They may be able to scream just as good as they did fifty years ago. But I doubt even that.
And I don't know if you can call what Bruce Springsteen does singing. I don't know. It sounds more like body-building. Maybe thirty years ago it had some resemblance with something called singing?

Date: April 9, 2018 16:28

Stoneage
Why not call this thread wishful thinking? Sir Michael, for once, lost his voice in the late nineties. Since then the only thing I'm thinking about when I hear him "singing" is laryngitis. Or Bob Dylan...

The "hard rock" singers mentioned above hardly did singing but screaming rather. They may be able to scream just as good as they did fifty years ago. But I doubt even that.
And I don't know if you can call what Bruce Springsteen does singing. I don't know. It sounds more like body-building. Maybe thirty years ago it had some resemblance with something called singing?
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

These guys make Mick look like a complete joke from a technical perspective. You might not like the music but to say they can't sing shows profound ignorance.

Date: April 9, 2018 17:07

Okey, Keefriff99. They are better on the ballads. That is true. It's when the screaming gets going I shrug a bit. Often I have a hard time with that.

Posted by: BOW2007 ()
Date: April 9, 2018 17:27

David Bowie, his voice have never changed. That's a voice.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 9, 2018 18:01

Taj Mahal
Bonnie Raitt
John Hammond, Jr

Bonnie's voice may be a bit thinner than in the past. Taj & John, on the other hand, may actually be singing better now than they were back in the 60's.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 9, 2018 18:22

Maindefender
Tom Jones

My first thought as well.

Date: April 9, 2018 18:29

Stoneage
Okey, Keefriff99. They are better on the ballads. That is true. It's when the screaming gets going I shrug a bit. Often I have a hard time with that.
I get it...that music is definitely not for everyone, but calling it "screaming" minimizes what they're capable of vocally.

Date: April 9, 2018 18:41

I hear you, KR99. Sometimes I exaggerate a tad to make a point! A habit of mine...I actually liked "hard rock" when I was younger. But I think it ended with Kiss and Deep Purple.
The latter one really had a singer who could scream (sorry...) ...Ian Gillan. I still like both bands though.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 9, 2018 18:44

keefriff99
Stoneage
I get it...that music is definitely not for everyone, but calling it "screaming" minimizes what they're capable of vocally.

I used to love alot of that old metal stuff (and still enjoy some of it today), but with all sincerity do you have a better term to use other than screaming?
There's wailing, shrieking, yelling, shouting, etc., but honestly can't think of a better term than screaming...maybe singing boldly with vigor in a high pitched tone? winking smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 9, 2018 21:21

BOW2007

Love the man and his later efforts but yes his voice changed

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 9, 2018 21:36

Gary Brooker from Procol Harum springs readily to mind, so does Steve Winwood.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 9, 2018 22:03

Maindefender
BOW2007

Love the man and his later efforts but yes his voice changed

Yeah, Bowie's voice never quite sounded the same after Ziggy. Still incredible, but within a just a decade his voice changed a lot, and by the end it was totally different than it was in his prime.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 9, 2018 22:11

Eric Burdon

Date: April 9, 2018 22:27

Of course everyone's voice changes with time. Usually grows an octave lower and loses elasticity and range. There is a reason many opera singers retires early.
And in popular music many "stars" don't have that much voice to begin with. And usually no technical training to talk about. Add alcohol, smoking and drugs on that. For some at least...

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 9, 2018 23:01

Bill Wyman!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 9, 2018 23:58

Three people come to mind who's voices didn't only stay the same but they got better.

Keith Richards

Eric Clapton

David Bowie

Did i read somewhere on here that Micks voice is as good as it was ??
That's perhaps forgetting just how good his voice once was.
Now its a bit thin, whiny, and nasally.

I often wonder how they made him sound so good on BAL.

Just hear Mick sing Honky Tonk Women, Brown Sugar or Satisfaction live, nothing like it used to be imho.
Although to be fair Micks voice is a fabricated voice made in the studio that he can never produce live, when did he ever sing SMU ot PIB anything like the studio version. When has he attempted to sing Let It Loose live ?
He can still pull off the ballads very well and he can still produce that falsetto, so all is not lost.

Also he can only do two shows a week on tour or his voice breaks, sorry guys Mick's voice isn't what it was but its still great for his age. He is a master performer and still puts on a fantastic show, he has great backing singers to thicken his voice and it works well.

How he used to sound example 1971 TOTP Live studio
[www.youtube.com]

1972 Live
[www.youtube.com]

Example Brown Sugar in 2006 Live. No comparison imho
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-10 00:19 by keithsman.

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: April 10, 2018 00:16

Ann Wilson of Heart

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Date: April 10, 2018 15:26

keithsman
Three people come to mind who's voices didn't only stay the same but they got better.

Keith Richards

Eric Clapton

David Bowie

Just hear Mick sing Honky Tonk Women, Brown Sugar or Satisfaction live, nothing like it used to be imho.
Although to be fair Micks voice is a fabricated voice made in the studio that he can never produce live, when did he ever sing SMU ot PIB anything like the studio version. When has he attempted to sing Let It Loose live ?
He can still pull off the ballads very well and he can still produce that falsetto, so all is not lost.

Also he can only do two shows a week on tour or his voice breaks, sorry guys Mick's voice isn't what it was but its still great for his age. He is a master performer and still puts on a fantastic show, he has great backing singers to thicken his voice and it works well.

[www.youtube.com]

1972 Live
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

With Keith I'd say it went up and then down.Early on he had that beautiful tenor, but not much confidence. He was the henchman, the guitarist. When he got better a lot, a LOT, had to do with self assurance; and being out front for his solo albums and tours. It's just that shortly after, not sure if it was age, the Big Bump, or ennui that has him relying to a few tricks that IMO don't bring it.

Date: April 10, 2018 18:01

Palace Revolution 2000
keithsman

Keith Richards

Eric Clapton

David Bowie

[www.youtube.com]

1972 Live
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

With Keith I'd say it went up and then down.Early on he had that beautiful tenor, but not much confidence. He was the henchman, the guitarist. When he got better a lot, a LOT, had to do with self assurance; and being out front for his solo albums and tours. It's just that shortly after, not sure if it was age, the Big Bump, or ennui that has him relying to a few tricks that IMO don't bring it.

I think Keith seems to have a wider range now and he really does know how to pull off a ballad. I admit he's not so good as he was on the Rockers but overall i'd say he's as good as ever vocally. He's timing has got better and better and he seems to make up for his shortcomings with heart, he sings from the heart and it just touches you in a special way, he really could sing Jack And The Beanstalk or Silent Night and i'd still love his voice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-11 00:12 by keithsman.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 10, 2018 19:05

A lot of names on this thread I agree with, but not all.

My intention was those who sound the same, not better or worse.

Eric Burdon still sounds great, still has the chops, but his singing style is different than is was in the mid to late 60's.

Rogers, Winwood, Brooker and probably Young, all good choices.

So who are some others that you can listen to a live recording in the 60's next to one recently and not tell which is the old and which is new.

Date: April 10, 2018 19:42

If Keith Richards can sing, everyone can.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: April 10, 2018 20:57

Elvis Costello sounds the same if not better then back in the day.
Neil Young still has it too.
Sir Paul Macca still has the chops as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-10 21:03 by spikenyc.

Date: April 10, 2018 21:44

Hairball
keefriff99
Stoneage

I used to love alot of that old metal stuff (and still enjoy some of it today), but with all sincerity do you have a better term to use other than screaming?
There's wailing, shrieking, yelling, shouting, etc., but honestly can't think of a better term than screaming...maybe singing boldly with vigor in a high pitched tone? winking smiley
Heh, you have a point, but Rob Halford has a remarkable range just short of four octaves. Bruce and Dio are powerful tenors with amazing vibrato and sustain.

It just feels like "screamer" minimizes what they've accomplished, although they've all screamed on records repeatedly. I guess it depends on the context...it just sounds dismissive depending on how it's used.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 10, 2018 22:35

...I’d say Van Morisson...?!

And thet crooner dude, that workes with Lady Gaga - wa’zisname... Tony Bennett!
Not much of a fan (and that’s putting it mildly); but his voice has ‘remained’ amazingly well!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 10, 2018 23:58

Keith sings far better than in might have expected, given his self abuse. Certainly on the ballads. Lots of feeling. Mr Soul!

Slightly off track, I wondered how these magnificent vocalists would sound, if they were still with us:
John Lennon
Elvis Presley
Freddie Mercury
Roy Orbison.

Roy just soared like a bird...fantastic.

Date: April 11, 2018 00:18

Stoneage
If Keith Richards can sing, everyone can.

Did you not enjoy his emotionally charged versions of Slipping Away last year.
It was like he meant every word and he made you feel it, plus some amazingly soulful guitar work for good measure. I thought he stole the show with that one, admittedly Keith's voice isn't for everyone just as Micks can be irritating to some.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 11, 2018 00:18

Chrissie Hynde

(not 50 years ago, but close to 40!)

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home