Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
All About You - Alt. Version
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 6, 2018 01:47

Heard a lot of outtakes but this one was new to me (not heard enough ER outtakes perhaps); alternate guide vocal with some Mick backing. Pretty wonderful video with great Keith through the years clips

[youtu.be]

Re: All About You - Alt. Version
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 6, 2018 02:06

Very nice of Jamming Edward to share. I remember hearing a snippet of this a couple years back when it first surfaced. One of Keith's better guide vocals. It sounds like Mick added his backing vocal later. Interesting Keith hadn't hit on the title yet.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 6, 2018 02:41

mmmmmmm wonderful to hear ... love the way All About You flouts & sways...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 6, 2018 02:48

Rocky Dijon
Very nice of Jamming Edward to share. I remember hearing a snippet of this a couple years back when it first surfaced. One of Keith's better guide vocals. It sounds like Mick added his backing vocal later. Interesting Keith hadn't hit on the title yet.

I love the backing vocals of Mick.................

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: April 6, 2018 03:48

sweet

Date: April 6, 2018 10:16

Any particular boot title this one would be on?

Date: April 6, 2018 10:25

IrelandCalling4

It was posted in the Hot Stuff-forum a couple of months ago. It was on an Undercover sessions-bootleg.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 6, 2018 10:30

DandelionPowderman
IrelandCalling4

It was posted in the Hot Stuff-forum a couple of months ago. It was on an Undercover sessions-bootleg.

Only available on All About You DAC-187

Date: April 6, 2018 15:11

I'd never heard this one either.
Keith is obviously running free. Nothing written at all yet. It was always going to be a great ballad.
I liked the video pieced together. There were some snippets I had questions about.

Date: April 6, 2018 15:51

Thanks very much for the info on the All About You DAC boot, I must obtain that one. Love the song and the album.

Date: April 6, 2018 16:05

IrelandCalling4
Thanks very much for the info on the All About You DAC boot, I must obtain that one. Love the song and the album.

This is a brand new release with obviously four or five new takes/songs such as Identification, filled up with takes that they already released last year. But I'm not sure, I still don't have the item.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: April 6, 2018 17:28

I always perceived the original song as Keith complaining about Mick....anybody else draw that conclusion?

Posted by: TornFrayedSue ()
Date: April 6, 2018 17:34

snorton
I always perceived the original song as Keith complaining about Mick....anybody else draw that conclusion?

I always thought it was about Anita as their relationship deteriorated

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 7, 2018 11:44

Thank you, IrelandCalling4! One of the treasures of IORR is to discover things like this!

"All About You" has always been my favourite 'Richards ballad' with "You Got The Silver", and probably the most memorable and distinguished song in EMOTIONAL RESCUE. This 'Alternative Version', with seemingly a final backing track and a bit worked guide vocals, shows clearly that they already have a winner in their hands. Keith's warm and roughly sweet voice fits so perfectly in it ("We Had It All" being a similar case from the same era). It is so natural, without the cliches of over-interpretation his later crooner numbers (which can be great by their own means). Nice to hear a bit Jagger there, but I think it was a wise arrangement idea that he wasn't used more in the final mix (though I guess Mick is there on the muddy chorus choir there as well, but without his distinguished sound coming through). Since Jagger is already here at this stage of "The Train Song" turning into "All About You", I wonder might him had something to do with in writing the final lyrics.

Thanks again!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-07 11:45 by Doxa.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 7, 2018 17:26

I am absolutely shocked that Keith had all the music before the words, i don't actually believe it, i thought this was just Keith changing the words.
His voice is so much better on this.

I love this song so much.

Date: April 7, 2018 17:54

Doxa
Thank you, IrelandCalling4! One of the treasures of IORR is to discover things like this!

"All About You" has always been my favourite 'Richards ballad' with "You Got The Silver", and probably the most memorable and distinguished song in EMOTIONAL RESCUE. This 'Alternative Version', with seemingly a final backing track and a bit worked guide vocals, shows clearly that they already have a winner in their hands. Keith's warm and roughly sweet voice fits so perfectly in it ("We Had It All" being a similar case from the same era). It is so natural, without the cliches of over-interpretation his later crooner numbers (which can be great by their own means). Nice to hear a bit Jagger there, but I think it was a wise arrangement idea that he wasn't used more in the final mix (though I guess Mick is there on the muddy chorus choir there as well, but without his distinguished sound coming through). Since Jagger is already here at this stage of "The Train Song" turning into "All About You", I wonder might him had something to do with in writing the final lyrics.

Thanks again!

- Doxa

Lol you love to put Jagger into everything .
Just enjoy the pure bliss of Keith's genius without manipulating things towards Mick all the time. Its been noted, it gets embarrassing and ruins your credibility winking smiley

Also Mick will stake claim on anything he can but he has never claimed to have taken any part in the writing of All About You, so why are you permitting licence to Mick for just that. I think Mick and Keith have a better idea of what they have participated in creatively than you Doxa.

Don't get me wrong, i think you are valued on here and i certainly enjoy so much of what you write, but your imagination as a writer gets the better of you on occasion winking smiley

You are very clever but i get the feeling that you are trying to rewrite history sometimes.
Sorry for being so blunt but please at least leave this one gem of a song to Keith, i don't think Mick has written anything remotely like it, it has no hallmark of Jagger about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-07 18:25 by keithsman.

Date: April 7, 2018 19:04

keithsman
Doxa

Thanks again!

- Doxa

Lol you love to put Jagger into everything .
Just enjoy the pure bliss of Keith's genius without manipulating things towards Mick all the time. Its been noted, it gets embarrassing and ruins your credibility winking smiley

Well yeah, I have the funny habit that I consider Mick Jagger as one of the main contributors to the The Rolling Stones sound and as an another principal song-writer, and who especially is a rather profilic when the lyrics of Rolling Stones songs are concerned. I don't know from where I got this strange idea and habit. But seemingly I am not the only one who discovered that Jagger's back vox in this version is something we don't hear in the final version. Actually Jagger's involvement was a bit surprise to me, because I have always thought that this song is a pure Richards affair (taking, for example, the rather personal lyrical content). But since Mick is there, as I noted, in this stage of shaping the lyrics (with Keith adding vocals to an already finished backing track), I wouldn't be too surprised if he had something to do in finishing them, giving some suggestions or something - Mick and Keith used to have a habit like that of sharing ideas and suggestions if the other is around. They don't/didn't have problem in that and are/were not worried about the creditions - unlike seemingly some of their fans.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-07 19:12 by Doxa.

Date: April 7, 2018 19:52

It's time for this one again smiling smiley

Charlie: The classic one on this album is the one Keith's done. I mean, I didn't know what... right up until about 2 months before the album... has now come out. 
Mick: Which one are you talking about, Charlie? 
Charlie: I mean, I didn't know... 
Mick: Which song... ? 
Bill: All About You. 
Mick: Oh, All About You. 
Bill: The "train song". 
Mick: Yeah. 
Charlie: Yeah. 
Ron: Train Song, that's what we knew it as. 
Charlie: Yeah, Keith's, yeah... Oh nobody knows... 
Bill: It's just a track called Train Song. 
Charlie: And I never knew what Keith was going to (put) on it, I never knew what he wanted... But it was a great track to play. That's being a drummer, you know? 
Ron: He ended up singing that too, which is quite pleasing. 
Charlie: Yeah, it's great. But I mean... 
Mick: It's not me singing it (laughs). 
Charlie: How he made a song out of it, I don't know.

- Charlie Watts, Mick Jagger, Bill Wyman & Ron Wood, 1980

Date: April 7, 2018 20:31

Does anybody know what's the difference between the "old" alternate version on the Not Guilty boots and the official take? Version I in the old Hoffmann Recording Index from 2003.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: April 7, 2018 20:43

All About You (Alternate version)

wetransfer

HMN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 7, 2018 21:26

Whether there was an exchange of lyrical ideas or not, it was common then for Mick to sing harmony for Keith ("Happy," "Coming Down Again") or add some falsetto ("Before They Make Me Run"). You can even hear Mick on "Little T & A." It's hardly surprising to find Mick sang on "All About You" at some point.

"You Got the Silver" and "Thief in the Night" started out with Mick singing lead. I suppose you could say "Trouble" did as well. You still hear Mick singing on "Slipping Away," "The Worst," and "Through and Through." Musically, it appears he and Keith wrote "Infamy" together. They certainly play enough instruments on the track.

The myth, stemming from their interviews, is the idea that they work in isolation more than they do. A song like "Anybody Seen My Baby" (a Mick tune) has Keith all over the song, musically. The same with "Undercover of the Night."

Date: April 7, 2018 21:27

Doxa

Well yeah, I have the funny habit that I consider Mick Jagger as one of the main contributors to the The Rolling Stones sound and as an another principal song-writer, and who especially is a rather profilic when the lyrics of Rolling Stones songs are concerned. I don't know from where I got this strange idea and habit.

But you know as well as i that although Mick and Keith share the song writing credits on all Stones material , some of their songs are written completely separately from each other, Mick might sing on them and Keith might play on them but they were written musically and (or) lyrically apart. Sometimes we have Keith also singing on his own songs, All About You is one of them songs with very personal lyrics by Keith.
To claim Mick had any part in writing the lyrics to this track is just conjecture, so why even hint it, i don't get it, we want the truth as best we see it from the evidence we have available to us.

I can't see Keith wanting to share such personal lyrics.

Date: April 7, 2018 21:34

"I went through a very tough thing in the early '80s with Mick. So you get some songs like 'All About You,' to name just one. There's more on some of the Expensive Winos records." Saxophonist Bobby Keys said of the song, "It had a little bit of sentimental input there about his feelings for Mick at the time. Just listen to the lyrics".

Date: April 7, 2018 22:07

Doxa

But seemingly I am not the only one who discovered that Jagger's back vox in this version is something we don't hear in the final version. Actually Jagger's involvement was a bit surprise to me.

Since Jagger is already here at this stage of "The Train Song" turning into "All About You", I wonder might him had something to do with in writing the final lyrics.

Seriously , that little tiny bit of Mick trying to join in to the song on this version is seen as involvement. What nonsense.

Sorry but this is my favorite Keith track, these comments are like sacrilege to me winking smiley

I don't see where you draw the conclusion that because Mick is ( irritatingly ) trying to join in while Keith is singing ( and this song is far from being finished lyrically ) that he probably shared in writing the final lyrics.

Its a big jump, a real stretch of the imagination.

This might apply to countless other Stones tracks with Mick helping out with the lyrics and harmony's as Rocky said but i find it highly unlikely here.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 7, 2018 22:14

keithsman
Doxa

To claim Mick had any part in writing the lyrics to this track is just conjecture, so why even hint it, i don't get it, we want the truth as best we see it from the evidence we have available to us.

hahhaha...the pot calling the kettle black....spare me/us.

Date: April 7, 2018 22:40

keithsman

Also Mick will stake claim on anything he can but he has never claimed to have taken any part in the writing of All About You, so why are you permitting licence to Mick for just that. I think Mick and Keith have a better idea of what they have participated in creatively than you Doxa.

Don't get me wrong, i think you are valued on here and i certainly enjoy so much of what you write, but your imagination as a writer gets the better of you on occasion winking smiley

You are very clever but i get the feeling that you are trying to rewrite history sometimes.
Sorry for being so blunt but please at least leave this one gem of a song to Keith, i don't think Mick has written anything remotely like it, it has no hallmark of Jagger about it.

And I thought I was here just stating some rather obvious and good-hearted remarks about "All About You" and how much I like it.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-07 23:57 by Doxa.

Date: April 7, 2018 22:43

Rip This
keithsman
Doxa

hahhaha...the pot calling the kettle black....spare me/us.

When have i ever made claim to Keith writing something Mick has obviously wrote.
I might say things like oh well its obvious Mick and Keith have fallen out and be completely wrong. But songwriting credits is another matter, over the years between Mick and Keith's interviews etc and who was involved in the studio at the time we have a good idea about who wrote what.
No one has ever said Mick co wrote All About You to my knowledge.
Ripthat.

Date: April 7, 2018 22:55

Doxa
keithsman

Hmm.. this part appeared while I was doing my response. So let me please do it now.

What Mick or Keith have said about writing certain songs or part of them is generally never that strict. Yep, there've been "Mick's songs' and 'Keith's songs' they talk about, but which do not mean that the other hadn't put something on them. For example, when Jagger has said to have made lyrics, he also himself have said that he has discussed them with Keith, him making suggestions, changing some phrases, picking up or leaving out some lines or even verses. At least back at the good old times, Jagger-Richards partnership meant that they used each other as a creative sparring and control parther, as someone from whom to expect a guide or a suggestion or a help - they seemingly respected each other's opinion. Sometimes those suggestions and guides go so deep to the very constitution or outcome of the song that it comes vague to even say who did and what.

As far as "All About You" go, surely it is a 'Keith song' as it can be - he wrote the music, the melody, laid the feel, and wrote surely if not totally all, but a significiant amount of the lyrics - there never been any doubt about that (and I never thought anyone could think I was claiming anything else above! But who I am know the sensitivity of Keith Richards harcore fan club...). What I did suggest was barely that of Mick had something to do 'helping' Keith there to get the song into a final form, since he seemingly happened to be there. Because that's something they - The Glimmer Twins - do (or at least did still back then). Here a hypothetical scenario:

- Keith, what the hell you try to say with these lyrics you mumble?
- it's all about you, mate.
- alright, there you have it - the title... "All About You"
- haha, yeah!

What goes for me 'rewriting history', yeah, I admit that's exactly what I do, since I find the history written so far based on too much on myths, prejudices, sometimes on pure bullshit and wish-talk, and, probaly most importantly, on personal taste. The reality is always much more rich and complicated than the simple stories trying to capture it. And there is always more than one truth. With the Stones, the simplifying way to treat and see Jagger - probably the most difficult person to grasp and classify in rock music ever because there is so much contradictions - has been one those things I have started being much critical about - never been my desire to be any Jagger supporter more than that of Keith's (and the whole idea of taking sides between them feels to me absurd), but of course, when I try to explicate the things from the angle of Jagger, that is seen as some Jagger fanboy stuff, and, even worse and oddily, I do belittle or even hate Keith Richards. I simply find Jagger as a fascinating, odd figure escaping even my concepts - but as a Stones fan I don't find anything wrong with that. Though the Richards side - pretty much the bulk of hardcore Rolling Stones fans I think - disagrees with it. For them even the idea of trying to see things from the side of Jagger, trying to understand the guy with some positive terms, is 'rewriting history' because it challenges the 'received view' of seeing Keith Richards as a true and only 'hero' and 'genius' of The Rolling Stones. On myth we trust. The history of 'received view' ways go back, but I leave that out now (I might write a book about it some day...)

For example, when you state that 'Mick will stake claim on anything he can', with respect, that's doesn't say anything more than something of yourself and of your own prejudices. If you would pay a bit more attention what the guy has said of his accomplishments, you would see that he is exactly the opposite. It is almost corny for a 'serious'smiling bouncing smiley) Rolling Stones fan how much he sometimes downplays or belittles some of his own and of his band's past doings - seeing nothing extraordinary or important there (a typical Englishman...). But I am afraid, through your Keith Richards worship glasses, since 'Keef' is your 'man' and you love and defend him dearly, you will 'see' something, which makes Jane Rose proud of herself. For example, when Jagger decades later finally revealed that he actually came up with "Brown Sugar", and even wrote the riff of it, you find that him 'stake claim everything he can' - and putting down Keith? Because of saying something Keith has also admitted being the case, him contributing only to "sound" and "arrangement" (and neither of the Twins seeing anything extraordinary in such 'credition' claims - just stating some matters of factual things, if someone is interested in asking). And if memory serves, Jagger said in that same "Jagger Remembers" interview that "Ruby Tuesday" is his favourite Stones ballad, despite him - making it clear there - having nothing to do with writing of it. Why did he need to 'reveal' that trivial fact - taking that his name is even included in credition? Wouldn't that make him look bad? Because - my guess - he doesn't see that as such a big deal who wrote and what in the long run. He doesn't need to. Neither Keith.

Huh, what a rant. And I thought I was here just stating some rather obvious and good-hearted remarks about "All About You" and how much I like it.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Don't you really have no other problems? This forum turns into a freak-show, unfortunately.

Date: April 7, 2018 23:11

Doxa

What goes for me 'rewriting history', yeah, I admit that's exactly what I do, since I find the history written so far based on too much on myths, prejudices, sometimes on pure bullshit and wish-talk

You certainly have a talent Doxa, i think you could convince me that black was white if i keep on reading your posts winking smiley

Date: April 7, 2018 23:19

Monsoon Ragoon

Don't you really have no other problems? This forum turns into a freak-show, unfortunately.

Thanks still quoting me whole through.

- Doxa

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home