Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Allahuakbar intro (BtB tour)
Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: April 5, 2018 13:31

Yesterday is was listening to the Stade de France 1998 show. I totally forgot about the chant "Allahuakbar" just before the curtains of the big screen open in the intro. Listening from today, it is quite hard to imagine any major act would open a show with something like that, in a post 911, post Bataclan world. Does anybody know anything about the idea behind the BtB intro and who came up with it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-10 17:32 by Hanns Rainsch.

Re: Allahuakbar intro (BtB tour)
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 5, 2018 15:17

Presumably Jagger

Have to say I thought the outro music on those shows (a live performance of "Alaoui" by the Orchestre Nationale des Barbes) was a brilliantly inspired choice.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-07 01:53 by Gazza.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 5, 2018 16:38

Gazza
Presumably Jagger

Have to say I thought the outro music on those shows (a live performance of "Alaoui" by the Orchestre Nationale des Barbes) was a brilliantly inspired choice.

Yes, excellent. Coincidentally I heard "Alaoui" blasting from a vendor's stall while wandering around a market in Morocco days after the 1999 Europe tour ended, and bought the tape after a lot of charades.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-05 16:40 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 5, 2018 16:42

1998, it was before Twin Towers and before hell broke loose in Europe. I don't think they would have used that sequence now.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 5, 2018 17:21

However, - that was great!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 5, 2018 17:52

It fit the Lion of Judah album cover in 1997 and tied in with their past history with Jajouka and the intro of "Continental Drift" in 1989 and 1990. I don't let acts of terrorism prevent me from enjoying Sinbad, 1001 Arabian Nights, or countless other examples of Arabic culture the same way the Holocaust doesn't prevent me from watching Fritz Lang's early films or enjoying Wagner.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 5, 2018 17:58

"Does anybody know anything about the idea behind the BtB intro and who came up with it?"

The working title for the BTB tour was actually "Blasphemy Tour" if I'm not mistaken. Maybe that's got something to do with it? Exhibitionism showed some early sketches (from 1996 I think) containing religious and occult symbols.

BTW: I know ancient Babylon predated islam of course, but the chant somehow fits in with the theme anyway I think. They both arose from the desert.

Date: April 5, 2018 20:15

Rocky Dijon
It fit the Lion of Judah album cover in 1997 and tied in with their past history with Jajouka and the intro of "Continental Drift" in 1989 and 1990. I don't let acts of terrorism prevent me from enjoying Sinbad, 1001 Arabian Nights, or countless other examples of Arabic culture the same way the Holocaust doesn't prevent me from watching Fritz Lang's early films or enjoying Wagner.

Me neither.

The Blasphemy theme of the tour makes sense. Sadly, the world has changed a lot since then...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 7, 2018 01:52

The Worst.
"Does anybody know anything about the idea behind the BtB intro and who came up with it?"

The working title for the BTB tour was actually "Blasphemy Tour" if I'm not mistaken. Maybe that's got something to do with it? Exhibitionism showed some early sketches (from 1996 I think) containing religious and occult symbols.

BTW: I know ancient Babylon predated islam of course, but the chant somehow fits in with the theme anyway I think. They both arose from the desert.

'Blessed Poison' was the original album title as I recall (I think 'Flip the switch' was a possible title too at some point). It only changed to Bridges to Babylon pretty late in the day. Presumably to fit in with the tour concept.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: April 7, 2018 12:14

Best ever opening was definitively this one:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 7, 2018 13:55

"It fit the Lion of Judah album cover in 1997 and tied in with their past history with Jajouka and the intro of "Continental Drift" in 1989 and 1990. I don't let acts of terrorism prevent me from enjoying Sinbad, 1001 Arabian Nights, or countless other examples of Arabic culture the same way the Holocaust doesn't prevent me from watching Fritz Lang's early films or enjoying Wagner."

Amen to that Mate!! smileys with beer

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 9, 2018 07:04

midnrambler
Best ever opening was definitively this one:

[www.youtube.com]

Had never seen that. Thats a pretty awesome video. For guys in their 50s, they looked bad-@#$%&-ass.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 9, 2018 07:19

That was fun to watch. Thanks, midnrambler! They put on a good front, though Ronnie and Charlie both fight grinning at one point.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 9, 2018 09:36

Rocky Dijon

Well said, Rocky thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up
smileys with beer

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: April 9, 2018 22:26

I did not remember that opening.
It could be seeen as a continuation of Pipes of Joujouka and Continental Drift.

1998 was the year of Footbal world cup won by Zidane and friends, and the music of 123 Soleil was heard a lot in France

Times are different now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-09 22:27 by djgab.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: April 9, 2018 22:27

L'Orchestre National de Barbes covered Sympathy

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: April 9, 2018 23:40

There be a @#$%& stampede for the exits like you never seen if they started with that on the forthcoming European tour.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 10, 2018 12:53

vertigojoe
There be a @#$%& stampede for the exits like you never seen if they started with that on the forthcoming European tour.

Ah, you're kidding me ... the only time I remember Stones fans "en masse" leaving a Stones concert was in Paris (date July 1, 19??) when a kind of an amazing tornado storm bucketing rivers full of water over the crowd, washing them away and possibly blowing trees down (forget about the early sixties cool smiley)
They wouldn't panic or feel insulted, or whatever, just by listening to some Arabic -Stones linked - music. Having said that, the Stones are realistic and wouldn't try to tease a time related situation.
smileys with beer

Date: April 10, 2018 17:37

vertigojoe

That was also one of my thoughts, which is funny because I listened to hundreds of bootlegs, many from 1997/98, but something like that never crossed my mind until recently. That made me once again think about how much this new century has already been derailed. Yet, the Stones are still rolling...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1873
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home