Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Worst picture of Mick. Ever.
Date: April 4, 2018 09:55

TheflyingDutchman
Not Bill. He always stayed away from drugs. Smart guy.thumbs up

Except when the other band members made him cakes grinning smiley

Date: April 4, 2018 11:13

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Not Bill. He always stayed away from drugs. Smart guy.thumbs up

Except when the other band members made him cakes grinning smiley

smoking smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 4, 2018 12:01

keithsman
Mathijs
Its just total bullshit, all these stories about Jagger using coke on the 81/82 tour. They really were way too professional by then. Coke kills your voice, its totally unbelievable Jagger would spend two hours warming up only to kill his voice with a line of coke before he goes on to entertain 90,000 people.

Mathijs

Did you hear Mick's voice on that tour, his voice was completely shot by coke

I think he never sang better than on the 1981 tour.

Mathijs

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 4, 2018 12:12

Mathijs
keithsman
Mathijs
Its just total bullshit, all these stories about Jagger using coke on the 81/82 tour. They really were way too professional by then. Coke kills your voice, its totally unbelievable Jagger would spend two hours warming up only to kill his voice with a line of coke before he goes on to entertain 90,000 people.

Mathijs

Mathijs

Agree to differ again, sorry.

But in saying that I love Mick's broken voice on that tour compared to how his voice is today. But really I suppose Mick's voice was always best on those early albums up until Sticky Fingers and Exile. It's changed through the years, in the 60s it was incredible. I even loved the mid 70's bark, it's fantastic what Mick can do with a limited vocal range.
Yeah I loved it on the Still Life live album, coked up but endearing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-04 12:57 by keithsman.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 4, 2018 15:40

keithsman
ryanpow
keithsman

Watch Mick late 78' live in Texas and tell me he wasn't on drugs.

Seen it many times and I don't think he was. I feel like the drug thing starts to become a way to take the wind of his sails. Like he wouldn't be like that if not for the drugs. Sure there were times he was high , but not all the time and he didn't need to be to have all that energy on stage. Is it that hard to be lieve that it's just how good of a performer he is? People do this with other artists too. The attribute the passion and and energy they exude to "they must be on coke".

As I said, after watching the Stones live in Dallas Texas 78' and most people will agree he's on something. Not a great performance and Mick even laughs at it himself saying he looks like he had attention deficit disorder or something. He looks wrong, manic, strange, not himself.

We will have to agree to differ on this one winking smiley

Indeed we will because for one thing, he's utterly brilliant on live in Texas.

Most people who aren't really big fans might say "Yeah, he's on drugs" based on their first impression and the band's reputation but that doesn't mean they really know what they're talking about.

If he is critical of his own performance, that neither goes against nor supports the idea that he was on something.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-04 16:22 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 4, 2018 16:33

About drugs, cocaine in particular, - they were common in "high society" in the 80s, 90s, and 00s. And probably even now. Rock stars, actors, models, sports stars, you name it.
They all used it. Often for free. To think that Sir Michael or any other "Stone" stayed off it is a bit preposterous.

About Sir Michael's voice on the 81/82 tour. Yes, it was probably coked up at times. But sometimes I think it had to do with the punk era which had just passed.
At least he wasn't nasal. That started in the late 90s.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 4, 2018 16:52

As for SOME GIRLS LIVE IN TEXAS, I agree with both Ryanpow and Keithsman. I think Mick was terrific and I think it likely he was in an altered state. I do agree that in 1978, Mick created a slightly different persona onstage in reaction to punk. He was edgier, deliberately shocking to some, playful and contemptuous. Is that drugs or just his mental state? Couldn't know for sure, but coke and Studio 54 were synonymous. This is the Mick of Studio 54 and Max's Kansas City, certainly. "Wired" is the word that comes to mind most. Don't know about the rest of you, but I have known plenty of people who allow alcohol or recreational drugs to give them a license to act out. It's a mixture of inhibitions freed and personality, certainly. To me, that's an accurate description of Mick in 1978.

Date: April 4, 2018 16:54

Of course, Mick said on «60 Minutes» that he wasn't drug free before 1995.

What I was discussing, though, was the 1981/82-tour. It was obvious that Mick had taken singing lessons, because this is the first tour where he uses his stomach for proper technical singing.

We can see how he prepared for the shows in the Detroit 1981-video I posted earlier in this thread. It then becomes apparent that this tour was something entirely different to that of, say, the 1975-tour.

Mick is preparing for the show like an athlete. You don't spend hours preparing physically for the show, just to put your head in the coke bowl the minute after.

So, to conclude: 1972-75 was a great party - 1981/82 was mostly work and preparations for Mick. That doesn't mean that he didn't bend the «rules» a little here and there, though winking smiley

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: April 4, 2018 16:57

Mathijs
keithsman
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

That's soooo funny!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 4, 2018 17:01

Agree, Dandelion. At least he didn't do coke behind stage. He cleaned up his act even more for the 89/90 tour.

Date: April 4, 2018 17:15

Can I just put the record straight, I love all Mick's performances , coked up, straight barking voice, trained voice, pretending to be stoned or acting Punk. It's all good to me, I am a real fan of this band, for ryanpow or anyone else to suggest a poster is not a real fan because they don't agree with them is making the experience on iorr a regrettable one.

Date: April 4, 2018 17:21

keithsman
Can I just put the record straight, I love all Mick's performances , coked up, straight barking voice, trained voice, pretending to be stoned or acting Punk. It's all good to me, I am a real fan of this band, for ryanpow or anyone else to suggest a poster is not a real fan because they don't agree with them is making the experience on iorr a regrettable one.

Maybe it lies within your (new?) moniker? winking smiley

Of course you're a real fan!

People would say the same to me if I said I didn't like Ya Yas, Brussels or Live In Texas. That's just how it is smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-04 17:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 4, 2018 17:35

I doubt casual fans stick around on a message board and post regularly. We're all real fans that's why we obsess over minutiae and nitpick.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 4, 2018 17:52

keithsman

I suggested nothing of the sort. What I meant was, if you were to ask the "average person on the street", Not people like us who are Stones Fanatics, they'd probably think Mick was on drugs. I just assume anyone who spends time reading and posting on here is a real fan weather I agree with them or not.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-04 17:58 by ryanpow.

Date: April 4, 2018 17:59

Storm in a teacup, gentlemen. It's not a real scuffle until one of you talks to the press about the other's privates.

Date: April 4, 2018 18:15

ryanpow
keithsman

I suggested nothing of the sort. What I meant was, if you were to ask the "average person on the street", Not people like us who are Stones Fanatics, they'd probably think Mick was on drugs. I just assume anyone who spends time reading and posting on here is a real fan weather I agree with them or not.

No worries, like Rocky said, storm in a tea cup and obviously he's also right we must all be true fans on here to go into such fine detail. It's fun too.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: April 4, 2018 19:34

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-04 19:36 by Massimo68.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 4, 2018 19:36

keithsman
Redhotcarpet
punkfloyd

Cocaine is one helluva drug.

Yes and it makes one sweat a lot winking smiley

Must be “When the whip comes down” from 81 or 82 - second song into
the set. Angry song so not such a bad picture.

Date: April 4, 2018 20:25

DandelionPowderman
Of course, Mick said on «60 Minutes» that he wasn't drug free before 1995.

What I was discussing, though, was the 1981/82-tour. It was obvious that Mick had taken singing lessons, because this is the first tour where he uses his stomach for proper technical singing.

We can see how he prepared for the shows in the Detroit 1981-video I posted earlier in this thread. It then becomes apparent that this tour was something entirely different to that of, say, the 1975-tour.

Mick is preparing for the show like an athlete. You don't spend hours preparing physically for the show, just to put your head in the coke bowl the minute after.

So, to conclude: 1972-75 was a great party - 1981/82 was mostly work and preparations for Mick. That doesn't mean that he didn't bend the «rules» a little here and there, though winking smiley

I don't know DP , not so sure about that, well known performers in peak physical fitness still resort to stimulants, just because you are a fit professional doesn't mean you don't have help.
In those days it was maybe coke, today several aging performers have access to Human Growth Hormone injections ( not steroids ) and testosterone injections, these medications are not harmful to the body like coke was, on the contrary they keep you younger for longer.

To extend the career of the live performer i'm sure Mick and people like McCartney know of these enhancements, ( legal in America ) i'm not saying they definitely have these injections to boast physical fitness and stamina , but it's an option for them and Mick is one hell of a fit soon to be 75 year old, who know's.

Getting back to 81' 82' i agree, the odd use of coke when really needed to get through a show is understandable, a lot at stake on these tours, Mick would not want to give a tired performance, he's only human, i'm sure he resorted to the odd little helper winking smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 4, 2018 23:30

Yes, ironic coming from the joint composer OF 'Mothers Little Helper' with its sardonic lyrics about older people and drugs.

Date: April 5, 2018 17:21

jlowe
Yes, ironic coming from the joint composer OF 'Mothers Little Helper' with its sardonic lyrics about older people and drugs.

Haha yeah, must have been a Freudian slip winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1914
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home