Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question about Macawber
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 1, 2018 20:48

Forgive me if this has been discussed on here before. So one of the standout features of that Tele is the Gibson PAF humbucker in the neck position, installed ostensibly to fatten up the sound. However, in most (if not all) pictures I have seen of Keith playing this guitar, he has the pickup selector switched to the right (bridge position). Likewise, I have heard this same guitar sound typically bright and twangy, as a Tele should, but at other times heavier and fat (see JJFlash from the St. Louis 97 show). So here's question: I have heard rumors that the tone pot on this guitar isn't actually for tone at all, but rather a panning pot used to fade in between pickups. Has anyone else ever heard this, or can verify its veracity?

Re: Question about Macawber
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 2, 2018 00:47

Maybe you can find more info here: [iorr.org]

Note: it’s spelled ‘Micawber’, maybe that’s why you didn’t find any info.

thumbs up

Date: April 2, 2018 01:09

Micawber and Macabre..

Easy to get lost on those, but you are referring to Micawber smiling smiley

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 2, 2018 01:56

Micawber was missing in action on the last few 2017 No Filter shows. I hope it's not terminal! Keith used a different Tele on HTW and it didn't sound right. Too bright.

Anyone have any info on why this was ?

sc uk

Date: April 4, 2018 11:39

I noticed that too: no Micawber.
Not xure what it means: a panning pot used to fade in between PUs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 4, 2018 11:59

theimposter
Forgive me if this has been discussed on here before. So one of the standout features of that Tele is the Gibson PAF humbucker in the neck position, installed ostensibly to fatten up the sound. However, in most (if not all) pictures I have seen of Keith playing this guitar, he has the pickup selector switched to the right (bridge position). Likewise, I have heard this same guitar sound typically bright and twangy, as a Tele should, but at other times heavier and fat (see JJFlash from the St. Louis 97 show). So here's question: I have heard rumors that the tone pot on this guitar isn't actually for tone at all, but rather a panning pot used to fade in between pickups. Has anyone else ever heard this, or can verify its veracity?

All his Tele's are wired in the standard, conventional way.

Mathijs

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 4, 2018 12:24

It's the mixed position where that neck Bucker on a Tele comes into its own.

Keith does sometimes use that middle position and you can easily hear it when he does.

Date: April 4, 2018 14:39

Spud
It's the mixed position where that neck Bucker on a Tele comes into its own.

Keith does sometimes use that middle position and you can easily hear it when he does.

Indeed. He's not playing Micawber here, but we can hear the effect smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1699
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home