Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: 'Ronnie Wood Set Lists' from Genesis Publications
Posted by: woody ()
Date: December 4, 2018 21:44

I agree completely, i have all the previous Genesis Stones books BUT this is one scrape of the barrel too far !!!!!

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: December 4, 2018 22:45

Way too expensive for my blood but I actually think it's cool! If I had the disposal $ I'd be in. Great coffee table book in my opinion. To each their own.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 4, 2018 23:30

keefmick
Way too expensive for my blood but I actually think it's cool! If I had the disposal $ I'd be in. Great coffee table book in my opinion. To each their own.

Me too, I love books. I have given boxes of hardcover books to public libraries with a house moves/ space taking.

Posted by: jbgoode ()
Date: December 5, 2018 00:09

Sorry, but where‘s the „Art“ ??
The setlists from that tour didn‘t change (much), so all the pages are identical...Except for the colours....
I wonder how many people will buy this crap....

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 5, 2018 00:55

It would be far more interesting to publish facsimiles of Chuck L's binders

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 5, 2018 01:00

Hairball
Wouldn't be surprised if next in line is a coloring book for toddlers.
And seeing that he has two young twin daughters, maybe they can help him with some ideas!

Next in line is a Charlie book about all of his socks. A limited-edition configuration will include a used sock. (But Charlie's feet never smell.)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 5, 2018 03:24

DeanGoodman
Hairball
Wouldn't be surprised if next in line is a coloring book for toddlers.
And seeing that he has two young twin daughters, maybe they can help him with some ideas!

Next in line is a Charlie book about all of his socks. A limited-edition configuration will include a used sock. (But Charlie's feet never smell.)

Haha thats good to know, because rumour has it that along with a used sock, every page of the book will be scratch and sniff!grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 5, 2018 03:56

Charlie's sketches of the hotel rooms ….. one day we'll see 'em ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: December 6, 2018 23:25

Mick Jagger Adds Foreword to Ronnie Wood's Stones Edition

06 Dec 2018

We're delighted to announce that Mick Jagger has written a foreword for fellow band member Ronnie Wood's latest edition, The Rolling Stones Set Lists.

'A new twist on the list.' - Mick Jagger

Since the unveiling of the edition the book has been well received, with publications like the Financial Times and the BBC praising the new title.

'An insight into the Stones' development... an epic tome.' - Matt Everitt, BBC Radio 6 Music

'Captures the huge range of songs the Stones will bring to life during one of their tours.' - The Financial Times

If you haven't yet got your copy of this eagerly anticipated edition, there are two versions of this title available. Set Pieces is a signed book, limited to 1,000 numbered copies and presented in burgundy leather, while Ready Set Go! is a signed book, limited to only 425 numbered copies, and quarter bound in royal blue leather. Ready Set Go! is also accompanied by a matching numbered, signed print, which is framed with a UV-protective glaze.

'I hope you enjoy the book.' - Mick Jagger

[www.genesis-publications.com]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 6, 2018 23:44

Rockman
Charlie's sketches of the hotel rooms ….. one day we'll see 'em ….

i hope so. id love to have a book of those. i've seen a few here and there..

love his simplicity.

Posted by: livefromuk ()
Date: December 6, 2018 23:58

Idk I’m pretty pumped. I’m a big selist guy and have been fortunate enough over the years to get some pretty fantastic setlists after a show. The fact that I eas at Desert Trip, love the Stones, and the limited set prints in my opinion look beyond unique..... I solurged.

It cant get here soon enough. To each there own.

Posted by: fzv98d ()
Date: December 7, 2018 02:41

I bought one today. Their books are really fantastic. I have the Eric Clapton Crossroads book and love it. I just hope it doesn't take too long to arrive. They can be slow on the delivery.

Posted by: livefromuk ()
Date: December 24, 2018 20:34

Woo Hoo it finally came!

It's amazing! (And depressing at the same time, lol). A majority of the setlists are of the various rehearsals over the past 10 or so years. Now why I didn't take the time to go back and do a comparison as to what they rehearsed vs what they actually played I would have killed for some of those rehearsal sets at first glance.

Beyond excited to get the three prints framed. Mine is number 68 out of 75.

And the book itself is just fantastic quality. It's the first Genesis publication that I've purchased so I don't really have anything to compare it to.

As I said in a previous post, setlists are my thing. I love collecting them at shows and having went to Desert Trip I was beyond thrilled to get a signed print of the set by Ronnie. Wish I would have sprung to see them in Cuba which was one of the other 3 prints.

If anyone is interested I can post some pics.

Miami can't get here soon enough!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 9, 2019 15:55

Rolling Stones' Ronnie Wood: Painting is my 'God-given talent'

Published 9th January 2019
Written by Joobin Bekhrad, CNN

"I think it's born in me that I'm an artist of the visual kind first," said a reflective Ronnie Wood over the phone in his north London studio. "There's nothing I enjoy doing more today than painting in oils, and that's how I used to paint as a teenager."

Although recognized primarily for his status as a rock 'n' roll deity, the 71-year-old Rolling Stone has been turning heads with his visual art for even longer than he has with his music.

Wood's paintings have been exhibited around the world, and today grace the walls of London's Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, and have been collected by the likes of Bill and Hilary Clinton.

Though he's most known for paintings of his fellow Stones, as well as musicians like John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters, Wood is also passionate about subjects like horses and landscapes, and works with a multitude of mediums. This past December, he released "The Rolling Stones' Set Lists," a limited-edition book of drawings on canvas.

Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood poses with his drawings of fellow musicians in 1987. Credit: Express/Hulton Archive/Getty Images

"I sold my first two pieces to my music teacher at school for four pounds, and they were abstract pieces," he proudly recalled. This was no small feat for the fledgling Wood -- then still in elementary school -- whose older brothers, Art and Ted, both studied art.

It wouldn't be long before he would enjoy his first group exhibition: "There was a man on TV called Adrian Hill, and he had a program called 'Sketch Club.' I won the artist of the week kind of thing a few weeks in a row, and he said, would I come along and have an exhibition of my work and join some of the other children? I was about 12 or 13 when this was going on."

Later he would receive formal art training at the Ealing College of Art in London. On being both a musician and an artist, Wood explained that, "Being a Gemini, I've always flown the two flags. They've gone hand in hand, music and art."

"Forty Licks" (2004) by Ronnie Wood, as featured in "Ronnie Wood: Artist," published by Thames & Hudson. Credit: Courtesy Ronnie Wood

That seemed to be the case for many of his contemporaries: Many of them, including Pete Townshend of The Who, Ray Davies of the Kinks and bandmate Keith Richards were art school students, too.

"There was a direct connection (between art school and rock 'n' roll) in that everyone seemed to be in a band or combo of some kind ... Pete was making statements by smashing his instrument; that was a bit expressionist in the art world, you know?"

"Keith and Mick Staged" (1989), as featured in "Ronnie Wood: Artist," published by Thames & Hudson Credit: Courtesy Ronnie Wood

While Wood always earnestly pursued his art on the side after making it big in music, it wasn't until the early '80s that he began exhibiting and selling. "When I'd spent all my money on the good life," he recalled, "I realized that I had to exploit my other God-given talent, and I thought, 'Actually, I can paint! Why don't I earn my bread and butter by selling some of my prints and drawings?' So that's what I started to do when I lived in Los Angeles and I was in New York -- sort of having exhibitions there, as well."

Despite his lifelong artistic endeavors and pursuits, establishing himself as an artist in his own right wasn't easy.

"When I first made an entrance, as it were, into the proper art world ... I had to get my foot in the door by making a statement of drawing people and portraits," he said. And while Wood has been creating art all his life, some critics haven't been able to see past his rock reputation and take him seriously.

"Some sticklers in the art world have said, 'I don't know who Ronnie Wood thinks he is!' There's a big critic over here ... (who) said, 'Well, as much as I don't like to admit it, Ronnie Wood can actually paint.' You know, because he wanted to really put me down."

Wood isn't put off by such remarks, though: "That's what I do: I can paint, you know, I can draw. So, I don't care what they say."

"Sally" (2016) by Ronnie Wood, a portrait of Wood's pregnant wife, as featured in "Ronnie Wood: Artist" Credit: Courtesy Ronnie Wood

The newly released "Rolling Stones' Set Lists" art book (his second, after 2017's "Ronnie Wood: Artist") pulls together over a hundred of Wood's illustrated versions of the set lists from band rehearsals between 2005 and 2018. With its behind-the-scenes revelations, concert photos and endearing doodles, it has the feel of a diary.

"It was a personal thing of mine to, as we rehearsed, make a note of the songs and the keys they were in and how many times we'd played them, just for my own head," Wood explained. "It came from my little lined pad into a sketchbook, and then gradually over the years it became a reality onto canvas."

"Rolling Stones' Set Lists," Ronnie Wood's latest book, is full of endearing doodles, behind-the-scenes revelations and concert photos. Credit: Courtesy Ronnie Wood

Weird and wonderful, "Set Lists" is welcome addition to the artist's eclectic oeuvre. But it will far from the last of Wood's art books -- if he can help it.
"(Art) is a bit like the Stones: We keep making music and I keep painting. It's an ongoing thing and it's something you never get down. You never kind of say, 'OK, I've done that, I can retire now.' It's always an adventure, you know?"

[edition.cnn.com]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 9, 2019 16:21

Just release a new solo album Ronnie. Or even better, make sure Keef n Mick will get together in a small room. get to work on the outtakes, or finish up the new songs. Just release the stuff, and dont use a producer like Don Was. Release them as rough Stones songs. Dont make them over produce the new stuff.
Last but not least.... dont keep the fans waiting too long for it.
Jeroen

Ronnie article - ''Painting is my 'God-given talent''
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: January 10, 2019 20:03

Don't think this article has been shared here.

I think it's born in me that I'm an artist of the visual kind first," said a reflective Ronnie Wood over the phone in his north London studio. "There's nothing I enjoy doing more today than painting in oils, and that's how I used to paint as a teenager."
Although recognized primarily for his status as a rock 'n' roll deity, the 71-year-old Rolling Stone has been turning heads with his visual art for even longer than he has with his music.
Jim Carrey's cartoons reflect the political circus that inspires them
Wood's paintings have been exhibited around the world, and today grace the walls of London's Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, and have been collected by the likes of Bill and Hilary Clinton.
Though he's most known for paintings of his fellow Stones, as well as musicians like John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters, Wood is also passionate about subjects like horses and landscapes, and works with a multitude of mediums. This past December, he released "The Rolling Stones' Set Lists," a limited-edition book of drawings on canvas.
Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood poses with his drawings of fellow musicians in 1987.
Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood poses with his drawings of fellow musicians in 1987. Credit: Express/Hulton Archive/Getty Images
"I sold my first two pieces to my music teacher at school for four pounds, and they were abstract pieces," he proudly recalled. This was no small feat for the fledgling Wood -- then still in elementary school -- whose older brothers, Art and Ted, both studied art.
It wouldn't be long before he would enjoy his first group exhibition: "There was a man on TV called Adrian Hill, and he had a program called 'Sketch Club.' I won the artist of the week kind of thing a few weeks in a row, and he said, would I come along and have an exhibition of my work and join some of the other children? I was about 12 or 13 when this was going on."
A year after Weinstein, Rose McGowan is using art to process trauma
Later he would receive formal art training at the Ealing College of Art in London. On being both a musician and an artist, Wood explained that, "Being a Gemini, I've always flown the two flags. They've gone hand in hand, music and art."
"Forty Licks" (2004) by Ronnie Wood, as featured in "Ronnie Wood: Artist," published by Thames & Hudson.
"Forty Licks" (2004) by Ronnie Wood, as featured in "Ronnie Wood: Artist," published by Thames & Hudson. Credit: Courtesy Ronnie Wood
That seemed to be the case for many of his contemporaries: Many of them, including Pete Townshend of The Who, Ray Davies of the Kinks and bandmate Keith Richards were art school students, too.
"There was a direct connection (between art school and rock 'n' roll) in that everyone seemed to be in a band or combo of some kind ... Pete was making statements by smashing his instrument; that was a bit expressionist in the art world, you know?"
"Keith and Mick Staged" (1989), as featured in "Ronnie Wood: Artist," published by Thames & Hudson
"Keith and Mick Staged" (1989), as featured in "Ronnie Wood: Artist," published by Thames & Hudson Credit: Courtesy Ronnie Wood
While Wood always earnestly pursued his art on the side after making it big in music, it wasn't until the early '80s that he began exhibiting and selling. "When I'd spent all my money on the good life," he recalled, "I realized that I had to exploit my other God-given talent, and I thought, 'Actually, I can paint! Why don't I earn my bread and butter by selling some of my prints and drawings?' So that's what I started to do when I lived in Los Angeles and I was in New York -- sort of having exhibitions there, as well."
Despite his lifelong artistic endeavors and pursuits, establishing himself as an artist in his own right wasn't easy.
Inside Elton John's spectacular private photography collection
"When I first made an entrance, as it were, into the proper art world ... I had to get my foot in the door by making a statement of drawing people and portraits," he said. And while Wood has been creating art all his life, some critics haven't been able to see past his rock reputation and take him seriously.
"Some sticklers in the art world have said, 'I don't know who Ronnie Wood thinks he is!' There's a big critic over here ... (who) said, 'Well, as much as I don't like to admit it, Ronnie Wood can actually paint.' You know, because he wanted to really put me down."
Wood isn't put off by such remarks, though: "That's what I do: I can paint, you know, I can draw. So, I don't care what they say."
"Sally" (2016) by Ronnie Wood, a portrait of Wood's pregnant wife, as featured in "Ronnie Wood: Artist"
"Sally" (2016) by Ronnie Wood, a portrait of Wood's pregnant wife, as featured in "Ronnie Wood: Artist" Credit: Courtesy Ronnie Wood
The newly released "Rolling Stones' Set Lists" art book (his second, after 2017's "Ronnie Wood: Artist") pulls together over a hundred of Wood's illustrated versions of the set lists from band rehearsals between 2005 and 2018. With its behind-the-scenes revelations, concert photos and endearing doodles, it has the feel of a diary.
"It was a personal thing of mine to, as we rehearsed, make a note of the songs and the keys they were in and how many times we'd played them, just for my own head," Wood explained. "It came from my little lined pad into a sketchbook, and then gradually over the years it became a reality onto canvas."
"Rolling Stones' Set Lists," Ronnie Wood's latest book, is full of endearing doodles, behind-the-scenes revelations and concert photos.
"Rolling Stones' Set Lists," Ronnie Wood's latest book, is full of endearing doodles, behind-the-scenes revelations and concert photos. Credit: Courtesy Ronnie Wood
Weird and wonderful, "Set Lists" is welcome addition to the artist's eclectic oeuvre. But it will far from the last of Wood's art books -- if he can help it.
"(Art) is a bit like the Stones: We keep making music and I keep painting. It's an ongoing thing and it's something you never get down. You never kind of say, 'OK, I've done that, I can retire now.' It's always an adventure, you know?"

Re: Ronnie article - ''Painting is my 'God-given talent''
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 11, 2019 12:02

Add Ronnie's art to the list of my Stones' regrets.

When I could afford it, it was vetoed by my then wife, an artist herself, who despised Wood's paintings.

Now that wife is an ex, prices are untouchable (for em at least).

C

Date: January 11, 2019 12:05

liddas
Add Ronnie's art to the list of my Stones' regrets.

When I could afford it, it was vetoed by my then wife, an artist herself, who despised Wood's paintings.

Now that wife is an ex, prices are untouchable (for em at least).

C

Same here grinning smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 11, 2019 12:58

Haha.. you guys have/had wives with a sophisticated art taste...

Actually, I have never heard anyone from art circles respecting one bit Ronnie's art (the closest being a wife of ex-IORRean contributor named after infamous English ski-jumper and who (she) runs a gallery - when I asked, while driving together from city to city to catch the next Dylan concert, what she thinks of Ronnie's art, she said they are "okayish.. kinda".) The terms I've heard to describe those are like 'obvious', 'cliche', 'cheap', 'amateurish', etc.

But still those pieces of Ronnie are worth of incredible amounts of bucks. One cannot much argue with that. It's strange that celebrity art logic... There are lots of Rolling Stones fans among art collectors out there?grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-11 13:04 by Doxa.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: January 11, 2019 13:08

Now Dylan, I think, really can paint and quite a few people are positive about his work

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 11, 2019 13:25

Of course Wood is talented. A very good amateur. Seems like many English musicians went to art school when they were younger. Keith did. So many likes to dabble in art.
Nothing wrong with that. Most people can't even draw their own name...

Having said that I don't think Wood would have made it far without his celebrity status. But art is maybe the toughest business of all. Except ballet dancing maybe...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 11, 2019 13:32

Doxa
Haha.. you guys have/had wives with a sophisticated art taste...

Actually, I have never heard anyone from art circles respecting one bit Ronnie's art (the closest being a wife of ex-IORRean contributor named after infamous English ski-jumper and who (she) runs a gallery - when I asked, while driving together from city to city to catch the next Dylan concert, what she thinks of Ronnie's art, she said they are "okayish.. kinda".) The terms I've heard to describe those are like 'obvious', 'cliche', 'cheap', 'amateurish', etc.

But still those pieces of Ronnie are worth of incredible amounts of bucks. One cannot much argue with that. It's strange that celebrity art logic... There are lots of Rolling Stones fans among art collectors out there?grinning smiley

- Doxa

It’s absurd of course. His paintings are horrible.

Date: January 11, 2019 13:36

Stoneage
Of course Wood is talented. A very good amateur. Seems like many English musicians went to art school when they were younger. Keith did. So many likes to dabble in art.

Having said that I don't think Wood would have made it far without his celebrity status. But art is maybe the toughest business of all. Except ballet dancing maybe...

Charlie was a designer as well. Keith once said «most of us could have done well in the art world», or something.

Later, he said «As far as I'm concerned, art is just short for Arthur», though... winking smiley

Date: January 11, 2019 13:47

Ronnie should talk less..make less paintings and get some more new music out.
Dont think his art is that special.
Jeroen

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 11, 2019 13:59

I'm a fan of his art.. not all, but some of his work is quite good actually.

My ex bought me my first piece, Beggars Banquet, as a birthday present in the early nineties, which is my still favorite. I've picked up several more over the years and am still looking forward to adding a couple to the collection.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 11, 2019 14:00

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Charlie was a designer as well. Keith once said «most of us could have done well in the art world», or something.

Later, he said «As far as I'm concerned, art is just short for Arthur», though... winking smiley

Yep, Dandy. Charlie is funny. I remember when he got a question about his drumming style. He was called a minimalist (in a flattering way, of course). His answer? "Yes, like a writer who only writes postcards..." !

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: January 11, 2019 15:47

Art is a very special thing, many paintings by today deceased artists have acquired value only after the artist's death. I dare not think how many at that time they said shit on Picasso's paintings. I can not say how big Wood's art is, but painting like music is a way of communicating, it does not have to please others, artists do it for themselves, then if they pay you even better! But it's not automatic, it's not that if you're Mick Jagger and you're painting a crap picture you'll be successful because you're Mick Jagger, it does not work like that and there are many artists who have explored other arts without success.

Date: January 11, 2019 15:51

MisterDDDD
I'm a fan of his art.. not all, but some of his work is quite good actually.

My ex bought me my first piece, Beggars Banquet, as a birthday present in the early nineties, which is my still favorite. I've picked up several more over the years and am still looking forward to adding a couple to the collection.

If he were not a Stone..would you have bought it??
Jeroen

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 12, 2019 17:27

My new Stones Set Lists editions are great fun, hope you enjoy them too

For more info visit www.ronniewoodsetlists.com

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: February 12, 2019 17:41

A book of setlists containing songs that never actually appeared on the setlist. LOL

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home