Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 14 of 17
Re: Is the Hells Angel who took out Meredith Hunter a hero?
Posted by: curt ()
Date: April 11, 2018 13:29

Doxa
stanlove

I get so tired of people who blindly throw race around. This poster has no clue if race had anything to do with it but that will not stop him. The overuse of racist claims make it harder to take real claims seriously. Most people are just tired of it. Things can happen to people who just happen to be black, it is not always because they are black. Now watch some idiot claim I am a racist for that,

Not sure why people do it. Virtue signaling is the best I can come up with.

Obviously race may have been a factor but a better argument can be made that it was not. This was discussed earlier in the thread.

Hmmm... more than figuring out if the death of a Meredith Hunter had some sort of racist factors - the scene being that of America 1969, a gang of white guys not much known for their tolerant opinions, stabbing and kicking a black guy to dead, after having harrassed him, and him having pulled out of his gun - or not, I find it more telling, as far as the issue of racism goes, why for some people in 2018 it is so important to claim that it surely didn't and couldn't have any of those. My instant reaction is when I hear things like

"I get so tired of people who blindly throw race around"

"The overuse of racist claims make it harder to take real claims seriously. Most people are just tired of it."

is that those are reflecting more the America and world of 2018 than that of 1969, and applying those attitudes - one could call them 'post-OJ trial' traumas - to the times and happenings of almost a half century ago - is a fallacy, which historians would see anachronistic having no argumental base but pupping up from a pure ignorance. There simply needs to be something more going on with those kind of attitudes than that of seeking for the 'justice' or 'truth' in the case of Meredith Hunter in 1969.

As far as the 'arguments' for or against the supposed racism here go, I think those can be, roughly, divided into to different camps:

(1) Those who think that all evidence and justification we can use is the footage of GIMME SHELTER lasting about a few seconds.

(2) Those who think that there is more to be told to get the picture right - the footage doesn't cover all relevant things.

The first group of people think that they have a 'better argument' there: there is a guy who is pulling out his gun, and the other guy stabbing him back. The case closed: a gun vs. knife, a pure act of self-defence - nothing there to imply racism - that of the gun-guy being black, the stabber white, has no relevance.

For the latter group of people this kind of thinking simply sounds imperfect. There is more going on than what in order to understand those few seconds of GIMME SHELTER footage. Instead of just using one's eyes, they are more into using brains as well, including that of historical and contextual understanding (for which not just the knowledge of the times, but the other scenes of GIMME SHELTER, the actions of Hell's Angels there, and altogether the accounts of the eye-wittnesses do matter). Why did the black guy behave like he did, what the Angels did - what, altogether, did happen prior the scene, and why it did happen; and even what happened afterwards the GIMME SHELTER scene - it is no any rocket science to come up with the idea of of suggesting that the Angels might have some sort of racist motive for order to pick up a stand-out looking (non-Uncle Tom type) black guy with a white girl friend as their target - and to make sure by kicking and stabbing that the guy surely is dead, after being knocked down for good (by two or more stabbings by Passaro).

I, of course, belong to the latter group, but I don't think racism played such a big role there (just one, let's say, minor factor, among others)- and I think it would have been impossible to even prove that Passaro had a racistic motivation, had he one or not - but I think it sounds odd - and, actually, frightening in terms of how damn stupid and ignorant people really can be - to claim that there is no role at all, as some people here are desperete to claim. That conclusion can only based on the presupposition of seeing nothing but the GIMME SHELTER footage and being stubborn to the claim that nothing else matters. The last idea being - to my eyes - nothing but ignorance (of historical realities) or, otherwise, based on some political motivation (to make a sort of 'point' in today's 'racism' discussion, probably not the least provoked and inspired and justified by the actions and policy of the latest American president).

- Doxa

Doxa, I appreciate and enjoy your willingness to discuss this matter with an even-handed and open minded perspective.

After seeing the result of asking a simple question in response to a post I thought absurd (that of Passaro being a "hero") I am somewhat reticent to express other thoughts that I have regarding that day in December of 1969.

I was at this gig as well as Woodstock, the shows at MSG and other festivals that occurred in the US in that year.

Altamont was very different than the other festivals, with the only real difference being the presence of what amounted to a gang of criminals preying on the meek and unsuspecting. I gainsay that attendance would have been somewhat diminished had the majority of attendees been aware of that as a "feature" of that particular concert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-11 14:23 by curt.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 11, 2018 13:51

Here's another question: What would you all say if Meredith Hunter - had he survived the attack - had voted Trump? Or joined the NRA.

Date: April 11, 2018 13:51

DandelionPowderman
Racism is racism. It's bad any way you look at it – that goes for ALL of the people who are offended by it. And it's not up to the abusive part to define what's okay or not.

That's why people in this thread shouldn't take so lightly on it.

I get that Altamont has myths, mystique and a somewhat appealing darkness, and that all of that may blind our views a wee bit.

However, we should never forget that ALL racism is piss poor behaviour.

thumbs up

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: April 11, 2018 14:29

DandelionPowderman
Racism is racism. It's bad any way you look at it – that goes for ALL of the people who are offended by it. And it's not up to the abusive part to define what's okay or not.
curt
Altamont was very different than the other festivals, with the only real difference being the presence of what amounted to a gang of criminals preying on the meek and unsuspecting. I gainsay that attendance would have been somewhat diminished had the majority of attendees been aware of that as a "feature" of that particular concert.

thumbs upthumbs up

Well spoken Dandy and Curt!

dead.flowers

Date: April 11, 2018 14:33

And, to answer the question raised in the thread title:-

No, he's not a hero, he'll never be one, and no heros needed round here. We're not in a war here, are we?

dead.flowers

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: April 11, 2018 16:08

dead.flowers

No, he's not a hero, he'll never be one, and no heros needed round here. We're not in a war here, are we?

dead.flowers

That is the most sensible comment I have read on this bloated, demented and perverse thread.

I salute you dead flowers.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 11, 2018 17:44

KevinLocksPerm
dead.flowers

dead.flowers

That is the most sensible comment I have read on this bloated, demented and perverse thread.

Yes, overused words: hero and awesome

Also, "it is what it is" - really, no shit?!?
and "I get it" - condescending to say the least

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 11, 2018 18:56

Elmo Lewis
KevinLocksPerm
dead.flowers

dead.flowers

Yes, overused words: hero and awesome

Also, "it is what it is" - really, no shit?!?
and "I get it" - condescending to say the least

I can see how someone could consider Passaro a hero if they honestly believe he was going to shoot up the stage. I don't consider him that.

If this is about overused words than lets add Brilliant and Proper. There is a new trend to use the word transparent constantly also. Really annoying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-11 18:58 by stanlove.

Date: April 11, 2018 19:20

<lets add Brilliant and Proper>

I knew you'd say that, stanlove smiling smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 11, 2018 19:25

KevinLocksPerm
dead.flowers

dead.flowers

thumbs up

Posted by: nick ()
Date: April 11, 2018 19:58

THE END.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 11, 2018 20:41

nick
THE END.

Doors' songs are to be listed as OT. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: April 11, 2018 21:39

dead.flowers

Well, we certainly were in 1969, both politically and socially.

KevinLocksPerm

Be sure to take your share of credit for contributing to the demented and perversion of the discussion.

Date: April 11, 2018 21:59

Nothing wrong with a discussion, hopefully this thread is not reported and closed. Many valid points from both the left and the whatever it is. Are there any interesting articles about his death? I mean other than the typical reproduced myths in RS et al.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 11, 2018 22:18

Doxa
Hmmm... more than figuring out if the death of a Meredith Hunter had some sort of racist factors - the scene being that of America 1969, a gang of white guys not much known for their tolerant opinions...

Not sure how you are so certain of the gang's tolerance level, let alone the specific person involved. It seems a double standard, you are convicting the group, and this specific person without any idea if they/he was racist, just because of the group he was associated with.

Date: April 11, 2018 23:46

Notice the camera crew/second unit on the left.

Date: April 12, 2018 00:53

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: April 12, 2018 01:01

The image with the gun framed against her white sweater was the one David Maysles played to me the minute I sat down at the movieola...
Two cameramen captured the video: Eric Saarinen's was out of focus and Baird Bryant got the shot...Baird didn't see what he got until it was developed...
I have always been thankful that we had the proof of truth smiling smiley with the film. And the only truth I see is, he had a gun!
You don't pull a gun unless you intend to use it. I don't consider the Hells Angel a hero...I consider him a right time, right place guy.

Redhotcarpet

Notice the camera crew/second unit on the left.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 12, 2018 02:24

I just want to know what George Lucas thinks about all of it.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 12, 2018 02:56

dead.flowers
DandelionPowderman
curt

thumbs upthumbs up

Well spoken Dandy and Curt!

dead.flowers

thumbs up

Tho some of it has been difficult, (and I'm a little confused as there are co-current Altie threads these last days)....
...I see some value here; not just the darkness, or folks expressing how things asppear from their experiential base; and what they've been exposed to....
i don't judge anyone here as more or less 'rascist' than what I could be accused of, and have....
I've steered clear of political advoacy or shots, wow that is an upsetting and unintended pun; i'm not feeling light about this today; for other reasons only indrectly related to the general dynamics of what I consider profiteering on all sides of each issue that's related to these mattersd......
...but I think the value is, is that younger smarter fans, just because
of historical perspective we didn't have going through it, as well as other intelligences avialable to them like it was not to us,
seem to, imo, be a lot more willing to consider this tragedy with
more acceptance that Meredith Hunter might have not been, as I and some think,
rather carelessly described; with very many assumptions rather than credible fact.
I don't think there was this level of general awareness and willingness in my generation and subsequent generations of fans thru the third, fourth, fifth
'generations' of rock and roll....pop music......(i'm still callin' it rock and roll.)
But I could be wrong here (again) as it seems, as I try hard to reflect,
that there has always been support for both the club and the kid.

Please disagree if you think I've got this way off, but
I think Rolling Stones fans in general, are more open to checking the facts for themselves more critially than we did; whatever conclusions or opinions they carry away abut Altamont. And just won't buy the 'thug' thing; even if they end up getting 'there' with their opinion; i don't think they are just gonna take someone's casual word in this complex situation....reducing it and making it simplistic is also part of communicating an idea or merchandising anything...

(Peeps are more hip to techniques
and 'messaging' and perhaps with time, more willingness, and less personal
emotional baggase (hopefully) that might expose them to revisionist history,
as this is still a mini-industry...and that's not a criticism; it just is true as far as marketing things; and people are fascinated, I sure am, with this band. tho I'm not proud of the way they handle everything.

And this could just be my loyalty and love for Mick that cuts him a break here; he can be savage businessman and rather enjoys those aspects of his life as challenging....
...like some idiot I protect my 'boys' who I've never met....
tho man we were in the same room and they were pretty seriously working it out on that stage,....
but I guess I still feel that it was the Stones reps that let them down;
they were all in their mid twenties and had been working pretty hard for a long time in those days. Maybe it was future tycoon Mick who said the equivalent of
"hey WE, OUR PEOPLE, get in there w this movie rights stuff"...but i dunno for sure.

my ultimate feeling, and it's not any more credible or valid than anyone elses,
is that their reps let them down; it was irresponsible and obviously tragic...
there was some cycicsm added to that in the marketing.
it was a triumphant life changing tour for the entire world.
It was that funny, cheeky, silly, determined, casually white hot groovin...
and it was kinda dirty too... very dirty boys if you ask me...

they sealed the deal on their credibility and greatness forever
in exactly that year,
tho they had historic hits previously...
the world was not even electronically ready for what was about
to smack the maturing but joyous rock and roll generation right in the Kisser...
lips included...

THAT is MY predjudice right there:
the film was edited like a commercial for a zombie acopalypse motorcycle movie.
and the early marketing was especially distasteful in retrospect.
wow it's too heavy for me; i'm too old;
some of you will find in some decades that this shit makes you more soft
over time even if you were the guy who could take all the hard emo stuff
for the kids and wife and family and community and stuff...........
yeh it is STUPID to bring a weapon or even a bad vibe to a music concert...
...it is also Stupid to think you're gonna jam people up like that
and somethings not gonna go awry, even without the security fiasco
which is THE stupidest thing about it in a way.
as even mellow Jerry who was cool w the clubs was 'uh oh bailing'...
i mean it's not like this wasn't predictable; it was like Chip Monck saying
"this is not gonna work in this time-frame with that amount of people"
(my quotes but he did get that clear to them; or did he not?

i think sam tried to at least make contact or send flowers or something.

Would they have been the best rock and roll band in 1969 at WOODSTOCK tho??
easily.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-12 03:24 by hopkins.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: April 12, 2018 03:41

Redhotcarpet

After all the information discussed and viewed here I'm totally convinced the Hells Angel Passaro is a hero. His presence was a historic event. Had Passaro not intervened and grabbed Hunter's arm with the gun while reaching over the shoulder of a concertgoer that just happened to grab Passaro as clearly can be seen in the still shot, history might have a different story to tell. Yet, Passaro still managed to neutralize the 6'4" Hunter with his knife before Hunter could get a shot or more off at the stage. Passaro's destiny was to stop a shooting and maybe an assassination of a Rolling Stone. He brought a knife and was in the right place at exactly the right time. Hunter's fate was sealed when he brought the gun and found his way to the stage. It's a Shakespearean moment.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 12, 2018 04:19

The Sicilian
After all the information discussed and viewed here I'm totally convinced the Hells Angel Passaro is a hero. His presence was a historic event. Had Passaro not intervened and grabbed Hunter's arm with the gun while reaching over the shoulder of a concertgoer that just happened to grab Passaro as clearly can be seen in the still shot, history might have a different story to tell. Yet, Passaro still managed to neutralize the 6'4" Hunter with his knife before Hunter could get a shot or more off at the stage. Passaro's destiny was to stop a shooting and maybe an assassination of a Rolling Stone.

Maybe...or maybe not.
Believe what you want but there's still no evidence Hunter tried to shoot on stage or even at all.
Seems as if you don't care and your interest basically is to celebrate Passaro as a hero.

Date: April 12, 2018 08:25

The Sicilian
Redhotcarpet

After all the information discussed good comprehensive job; can't say the same
and viewed here I'm totally convinced that is ALWAYS helpful; to be TOTALLY convinced; what a hard-fought journey!
the Hells Angel Passaro is a hero. Yay drug dealer killer whooopeeeee!!!!!!
His presence was a historic event. in a rock motorcycle zombie movie? Def, with ya 100%...more if it was mathematically possible; but in a metaphysical sense, if you know what I mean....

Had Passaro not intervened and grabbed Hunter's arm with the gun while reaching over the shoulder of a concertgoer

who looked like he was really trying to hold back your maniac thug hero

that just happened just happened to casually stop an un-necessary murder of a man already beaten, injured and stabbed
to grab Passaro as clearly can be seen in the still shot, history might have a different story to tell.
History does a different story to tell

Yet, Passaro still managed to neutralize the 6'4" What was his weight and Passdaros? and the color of his cousin's wedding dress?

Hunter with his knife that was your hero not Hunger I think you're referring to
before Hunter yes, yes calm down, Hunter....yes....
could get a shot or more off at the stage.
Oh he was planning maybe a few shots at the stage; hmmm, interesting. Are you related to Kreskin? btw how woud you know he was aiming at the stage, did you forget that picture?? casue you know, that 6'4" person had been in easy position to cause unthinkable damage pretty easily had he wanted to; but maybe he changed his mind.....in any case, there's never been anything but very conflicted anecdotal evidence only, i relation to his taking a shot at our loved ones

Passaro's destiny was to stop a shooting and maybe an assassination of a Rolling Stone. uh, actually his 'destiny' was gone into pretty specfically by a fellow poster

He brought a knife yes he brought a knife did Alan
and was in the right place at exactly the right time. to continue the multiple beating of one man by several by doing nothing by stabbing him a second time; after beating the shit out of him.....ah destiny

Hunter's fate was sealed ah fatey sealy
when he brought the gun and found his way to the stage. He 'found' it because it was 'there' and there were 'muscians' playing 'music' on it, and some people were paying attention sorta
It's a Shakespearean moment.Well that's very dramatic, I readily concur.Which play or line did you have in mind?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-12 08:35 by hopkins.

Date: April 12, 2018 08:38

“Look, as I blow this feather from my face,
And as the air blows it to me again,
Obeying with my wind when I do blow,
And yielding to another when it blows,
Commanded always by the greater gust;
Such is the lightness of you common men.” (King Henry VI part 3, act 3, sc. 1)

oh what a tanged web we weave...
I think I saw him at one of the 1792 shows; he was a bit the shape-shifter if you ask me. Real full of himself. He wrote some heavy hits tho.
DEF in it for the chicks if you ask me.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-12 08:42 by hopkins.

Date: April 12, 2018 11:08

And here’s the stone.

Date: April 12, 2018 12:58

Cristiano Radtke
KevinLocksPerm
dead.flowers

dead.flowers

thumbs up

Cheers brothers!

dead.flowers

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 12, 2018 16:19

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 12, 2018 16:20

2000 LYFH

This poster is a modern fake.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: April 12, 2018 16:28

Ha ha, of course it is grinning smiley

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 12, 2018 16:35

Deltics

This poster is a modern fake.

What do you mean? They were not suppose to bring their own weed!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 14 of 17

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1981
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home