Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 17
Re: Is the Hells Angel who took out Meredith Hunter a hero?
Posted by: curt ()
Date: March 30, 2018 04:49

The Sicilian
EddieByword
curt
EddieByword

As I said earlier in this thread, if you took that situation and transferred it to today, at LAX (for example),,,,,,,,,Hunter, instead being a Jihadi, (waving a gun around) and Alan Passaro being an off duty US marine there would zero argument as to who was in the right and who was in the wrong..................

This statement just simply reeks of false equivalency, you know, like comparing apples and oranges...

In addition: Hunter was not the only individual who happened to be armed that day.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...................ok............

Hunter brought that gun for some reason, and made it to the front of the stage which was no easy task. Brandishing a weapon within spitting distance of the band is a death wish. He knew what the scene was like down there, Angels were pounding people all day. He chose to enter the arena as an agitator and his fate was sealed.

The Sicilian, I must ask you three questions:

1 Are you an American ?
2 Were you at this gig ?
3 Have you ever spent any time in a Hell's Angel clubhouse or been on a run ?

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 30, 2018 04:53

KevinLocksPerm
You have to ask regardless of the gun issue would Hunter have come to the attention of the angels had he not been black and had he not been wearing a bright green suit. I suspect not.

This is another example of why someone is an irresistible force when they want to claim racism. Lets review.

1- We know alot of white people got beat up at the concert. We have read it and we can see it right on film
2- We can see there are other blacks near the stage enjoying themselves.
3- We already know that Hunter was attacked when he climbed up on something near the stage. The witness said that. As far as we know nothing happened to him before that as far as we know.
4- Other people got beat up and they were not dressed in Green suits when they were agressive near the stage.

But there you are claiming racism. Sounds to me like he was treated the same way as alot of other people at the concert. Remember he got stabbed because he charged at the Angles with a gun. Before that he was roughed up just like alot of white people were.

Is it possible that some of the Angels were racist and they didn't like Hunter because he was black. Sure. Is there any rational reason to claim that. Nope. Is it best to just say maybe. Yes.

This is something alot of people needs to learn. Sometimes things happen to people who happen to be black, not because they are black. I would say the great majority of time.

The only way to avoid the racism charge here ( like usual ) is for nothing to have happened to any black person.

In this video the Angels are beating up a white guy with a pool Cue. A black guy and a white guy intervene. The white guy who intervened was roughed up and the black guy was not. Was that anti White Racism or did something happen to a guy who happened to be white.

[www.youtube.com]

5:34

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-30 05:17 by stanlove.

Date: March 30, 2018 05:15

More on my racism rant. It is pet peeve of mine. The racism charge is tossed around way too often. It is a weapon for a lot of people. Not saying that about the guy who posted that in this case.

In this clip at 8:12 you can see Hunter on the bottom left of the screen. He is fine. At the same time you can see a White guy was looks like he was knocked out and I think we all know who knocked him out. Hunter got roughed up later but he was not knocked out.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-30 05:21 by stanlove.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 30, 2018 05:41

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 30, 2018 05:47

stanlove
This is another example of why someone is an irresistible force when they want to claim racism. Lets review.

1- We know alot of white people got beat up at the concert. We have read it and we can see it right on film
3- We already know that Hunter was attacked when he climbed up on something near the stage. The witness said that. As far as we know nothing happened to him before that as far as we know.
4- Other people got beat up and they were not dressed in Green suits when they were agressive near the stage.

But there you are claiming racism. Sounds to me like he was treated the same way as alot of other people at the concert. Remember he got stabbed because he charged at the Angles with a gun. Before that he was roughed up just like alot of white people were.

Is it possible that some of the Angels were racist and they didn't like Hunter because he was black. Sure. Is there any rational reason to claim that. Nope. Is it best to just say maybe. Yes.

This is something alot of people needs to learn. Sometimes things happen to people who happen to be black, not because they are black. I would say the great majority of time.

The only way to avoid the racism charge here ( like usual ) is for nothing to have happened to any black person.

In this video the Angels are beating up a white guy with a pool Cue. A black guy and a white guy intervene. The white guy who intervened was roughed up and the black guy was not. Was that anti White Racism or did something happen to a guy who happened to be white.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

Date: March 30, 2018 05:56

MisterDDDD
stanlove

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

I hate to break the news to you but I was not a member of the Hell's Angels and i was not at Altamonte. I was actually on the other side of the country and very young. But your post is typical. Someone makes a rational argument why there is no rational argument hear to claim that Hunter was killed because of racism and you basically accuse me of being a racist for some jerk like reason. I noticed you didn't bother to refute my points.

Well just one more idiot claiming racism for no good reason. Nothing new and you made my point nicely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-30 05:58 by stanlove.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 30, 2018 05:59

event sadly lacking heros; or even a perspective of reasonable safety amidst
the organizational chaos; rush-job last minute venue changes amidst
film right percentages negotiations with the original designated site,
already established in dealing with presentations for large crowds.
that Chip gent from the Woodstock (a desert rush-job to cash-in on
Woodstock to some degree)...which was to do enormous business;
was tellin' him the staging at Altamont was an obvious issue....
and also, imo, Woodstock would inspire the wave of massive publicity that soon would turn the entire rock and roll epoch
into Life Magazine kinda bullhockey.
As the historically great Rolling Stones newspaper, then magazine, has with
some exceptions, turned into silliness at best imo.

it was marketed as crassly as a snuff film at first; imo.
also at first it was as Page 9 one column article about a death at a concert.
Wenner's been quoted boasting of knowing how to throw the 'red meat'
at a readership; I honestly believe a lot of the drama behind this seedy
mistake that put the band in direct serious danger, is self-generated
endless drama by PR;
I don't believe it was the sad bad anachronistic 'sign' of the end of an era...
...a great band had a great show in impossible circumstances and unprofressional handling that sometimes seems cynical; like dancing
on the kids grave; and then making sure that decade after decade,
and without much more than rumor and supposition; they turn this
kid into something worse than the obvious heavy hard savage felonious
stuff that was run of the mill for that chapter; even murdering each other.
a shame to the other chapters for sure...tho they won't put the others down inm public.

Date: March 30, 2018 06:15

hopkins
event sadly lacking heros; or even a perspective of reasonable safety amidst
the organizational chaos; rush-job last minute venue changes amidst
film right percentages negotiations with the original designated site,
already established in dealing with presentations for large crowds.
that Chip gent from the Woodstock (a desert rush-job to cash-in on
Woodstock to some degree)...which was to do enormous business;
was tellin' him the staging at Altamont was an obvious issue....
and also, imo, Woodstock would inspire the wave of massive publicity that soon would turn the entire rock and roll epoch
into Life Magazine kinda bullhockey.
As the historically great Rolling Stones newspaper, then magazine, has with
some exceptions, turned into silliness at best imo.

it was marketed as crassly as a snuff film at first; imo.
also at first it was as Page 9 one column article about a death at a concert.
Wenner's been quoted boasting of knowing how to throw the 'red meat'
at a readership; I honestly believe a lot of the drama behind this seedy
mistake that put the band in direct serious danger, is self-generated
endless drama by PR;
I don't believe it was the sad bad anachronistic 'sign' of the end of an era...
...a great band had a great show in impossible circumstances and unprofressional handling that sometimes seems cynical; like dancing
on the kids grave; and then making sure that decade after decade,
and without much more than rumor and supposition; they turn this
kid into something worse than the obvious heavy hard savage felonious
stuff that was run of the mill for that chapter; even murdering each other.
a shame to the other chapters for sure...tho they won't put the others down inm public.

Thank you sir, for this viewpoint.
The press and others certainly played up the nastier aspects of that decade.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 30, 2018 06:19

Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead): Oh, that's what the story is here?
Michael Shrieve (Santana): Yeah.
Jerry Garcia: Oh, bummer.
Michael Shrieve: Really, man. I mean, like, it's scary.
Phil Lesh Grateful Dead): Who's doing all the beating?
Michael Shrieve: Hell's Angels.
Phil Lesh: Hell's Angels doing beating on musicians?
Michael Shrieve: Marty got beat up. Hit in the face.
Phil Lesh: It doesn't seem right, man.
Michael Shrieve: It's really weird, man. It's really weird.
Jerry Garcia: Oh, man. Really?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 30, 2018 06:36

Hairball

Geeez.... Bubblehead Convention.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: March 30, 2018 07:09

What part of, “You shall not murder” do you not understand?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 30, 2018 07:46

MKjan
Hairball

Geeez.... Bubblehead Convention.

Haha yeah I was thinking the same when reading that, and even more so when you watch it in the film.
But it does show the danger that was lurking in the air, and maybe the Grateful Dead were the smart ones at the end of the day by refusing to play and basically abandoning the ship.
On the other hand, maybe their music could have smoothed the vibes...even putting some to sleep...man...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-30 07:48 by Hairball.

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: March 30, 2018 09:25

The Sicilian
KevinLocksPerm
You have to ask regardless of the gun issue would Hunter have come to the attention of the angels had he not been black and had he not been wearing a bright green suit. I suspect not.

He wasn't the only black person at the show. I saw two working the stage. I don't think the Angels were checking ID's before bashing people. Ask Marty Balin.

No. Hunter stood out. Hence why he was targeted. If he hadn’t have been targeted he perhaps wouldn’t have pulled the gun.

Date: March 30, 2018 09:26

So many apologists for the angels. Disturbing.

Date: March 30, 2018 11:46

KevinLocksPerm
Speculation and also not relevant

Facts are:

- He had a gun in a place where you should not have and wave with a gun
- The Hells Angels prevented him from doing damage to other people

There is no evidence at all that there are racist motives. It is not like Hunter did nothing. He was a real treat and the Angels responded to that treat. Not on his color.

I do not approve the behavior of the Angels on that day and also the question if the force used on Hunter was neccessary is a legitimate one. But racist? Absolutly no reason to assume anything like it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 30, 2018 11:59

ROCKMAN

Date: March 30, 2018 12:43

PaintMonkeyManBlack
KevinLocksPerm

Facts are:

There is no evidence at all that there are racist motives. It is not like Hunter did nothing. He was a real treat and the Angels responded to that treat. Not on his color.

I do not approve the behavior of the Angels on that day and also the question if the force used on Hunter was neccessary is a legitimate one. But racist? Absolutly no reason to assume anything like it.

("You know in November I'm going to go before the Adult Authority for them to set my sentence and they're going to stick all kinds of shit on my jacket [prison file] – 'racist, Nazi-affiliated,' and all. And they're going to hang me up on a silent murder beef. They're going to keep denying me parole for a full eight years and a half. Especially after I talk to you.")

A quote from Passaro himself while doing time for an additional violation of law.

[www.rollingstone.com]

And this from another music board:

What the "film" fails to mention is that Meredith Hunter was being threatened and repeatedly harassed by the Hell's Angles because his girlfriend was white and he was black (there is a shot of her bawling her eyes out after he was killed in the film without any real explanation as to who she is or why she's crying - she's the blonde right next to him). He pulled the gun when he was in fear for his life and, unfortunately, that didn't go over well with the angels, who were out of their heads (as if they had any brains anyway) and looking for an excuse.

Ultimately, Merideth Hunter was killed by some racist throwbacks who couldn't accept that times were changing. Who didn't believe in freedom for all people. Losers who used their position of power and authority to advance their bigotry and prejudice. Indeed, the 60's were coming to a close.

History has done a pretty good job of obscuring the facts of the incident. Over time, Meredith has become relegated to some random black guy who pulled a gun during the concert with no explanation as to why.

Another comment from a music forum:
As for the contention that they are racists, all I can do is point out that they do *not* accept blacks as prospective members and have stated that they never will

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-30 13:35 by curt.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 30, 2018 13:58

KevinLocksPerm
So many apologists for the angels. Disturbing.

thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 30, 2018 14:33

Agree, KLP. To me, judging from the video material, it's a crystal clear case. It's manslaughter. Self-defence can be ruled out. If you stab someone in the back it's not self-defence.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: March 30, 2018 14:40

Reminds me of the old saw: never bring a gun to a knife fight ... with the Hells Angels.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Date: March 30, 2018 15:00

Frightening to think that such people walk among us on IORR.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 30, 2018 15:30

Can't believe this threads headline question.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 30, 2018 15:57

Stoneage
Agree, KLP. To me, judging from the video material, it's a crystal clear case. It's manslaughter. Self-defence can be ruled out. If you stab someone in the back it's not self-defence.

Stoneage, you write as though he was meeekly walking away and someone duped him from behind..........that's not right.

Hunter was advancing on the stage in a very threatening manner, (his girlfriend tired to stop him without success), waving/pointing his gun, Passaro saw what was happening and confronted him, firstly, taking hold of the gunman's left wrist and in doing he so pushed the gun away, changing the direction in which it was pointed (and, as far as he knew at that point, he 'walked' into the path of a loaded gun - that was sheer bravery, not a 'back stab' in the traditionally understood sense) and then stabbed at the only surface area which was available to him, to deliver a blow with enough force to halt Hunter in his tracks, with his right hand, whilst he held on to the gun hand.

Whatever the previous actions of his associates and even possibly him, that one action probably saved a lot of people, and maybe even one or more of the band from a very aggressive man with a gun............that's it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of hell's Angels, in general, I think they are a bunch of pretentious, puerile retards that play at life. (If you really want to find out about real hell's angels, spend some time talking to some long term patients on a psych ward, they'll tell you about hell's angels..........

The video says he was stabbed 5 times and then stomped on by other 'angels' too. I guess then, the question was, when Passaro was tried for murder, was the first stab wound, delivered to prevent Hunter retaliating, freeing his gunhand, repositioning and then firing the gun, enough to kill him, or was he killed by the ensuing, gratuitous knifings and beating once he'd been foiled from carrying out a shooting.

I guess the jury/coroner found he would have died from the first stab - as they found he was not guilty of murder.......and that the first stab was an act of self defence (and the defence of others, especially as he wasn't going for Passaro but towards the stage.

But since when did it become ok to judge a man by the actions of his friends.

Guilt by association, determined by the vigilantly mob, I guess..............great................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-30 16:18 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 30, 2018 16:29

Okey, EB. As I said, I can only judge by the video material. I haven't read the judgment. On the video it looks like the deceased is pushed away and then stabbed in the back.
To me that is not self-defence. The situation could have been solved without that. He was clearly out of balance when he got stabbed.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 30, 2018 16:29

Every eye-witness in the RS article and the following books about Alamont tells how Hunter only draw the pistol after beeing harassed and attacked by Angels in an attempt to get them off his back.
Wrong decision in a very bad situation but he'd just come to the front to see a bit of the Stones.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: March 30, 2018 16:31

2000 LYFH

Awesome pics, what's hard to believe now is that almost everyone in those pics are in their 70's or real close. Also sadly many have passed on.

Date: March 30, 2018 16:36

He might be a hero for extremists.

A murderer can never be a hero, imo.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 30, 2018 16:49

Stoneage
Okey, EB. As I said, I can only judge by the video material. I haven't read the judgment. On the video it looks like the deceased is pushed away and then stabbed in the back.
To me that is not self-defence. The situation could have been solved without that. He was clearly out of balance when he got stabbed.

I guess that's the judgement call.............he (Hunter) was a big bloke and I guess Passaro had to make the split second judgement as to whether Hunter was going to regain control of himself and most importantly, the gun......

Personally I would give him (Passaro) the benefit of the doubt as I sincerely believe it was a brave/honest move to tackle Hunter, with his gun, in the first place.............and most likely the act of pushing the gun away, holding Hunter's wrist and stabbing him was in fact one comprehensive move, with one aim, to stop Hunter.............

I guess only Passaro actually knew of any other motive (if different to my hypothesis) and now he's in the grave too..........so.............cheers Stoneage.........smileys with beer

My question is, who killed and then pushed Gay Gibson through the porthole on her way back to Southampton from Capetown in 1948?.....................cool smiley ..........

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-30 17:02 by EddieByword.

Date: March 30, 2018 17:10

curt
PaintMonkeyManBlack
KevinLocksPerm

Facts are:

("You know in November I'm going to go before the Adult Authority for them to set my sentence and they're going to stick all kinds of shit on my jacket [prison file] – 'racist, Nazi-affiliated,' and all. And they're going to hang me up on a silent murder beef. They're going to keep denying me parole for a full eight years and a half. Especially after I talk to you.")

A quote from Passaro himself while doing time for an additional violation of law.

[www.rollingstone.com]

And this from another music board:

What the "film" fails to mention is that Meredith Hunter was being threatened and repeatedly harassed by the Hell's Angles because his girlfriend was white and he was black (there is a shot of her bawling her eyes out after he was killed in the film without any real explanation as to who she is or why she's crying - she's the blonde right next to him). He pulled the gun when he was in fear for his life and, unfortunately, that didn't go over well with the angels, who were out of their heads (as if they had any brains anyway) and looking for an excuse.

Ultimately, Merideth Hunter was killed by some racist throwbacks who couldn't accept that times were changing. Who didn't believe in freedom for all people. Losers who used their position of power and authority to advance their bigotry and prejudice. Indeed, the 60's were coming to a close.

History has done a pretty good job of obscuring the facts of the incident. Over time, Meredith has become relegated to some random black guy who pulled a gun during the concert with no explanation as to why.

Another comment from a music forum:
As for the contention that they are racists, all I can do is point out that they do *not* accept blacks as prospective members and have stated that they never will

Nothing you posted proved he was killed because the Angles were racist. Haven't we already been through this?

The argument that he was repeatedly harassed doesn't even make sense. You really believe that he was repeatedly harassed but was still hanging out by the stage at the time that he was killed? That makes no sense at all. It obviously would have come to a head much earlier. We know what the witness said. When Hunter was roughed up ( he saw it once ) he right away pulled out his gun.

I would like to see any proof that Hunter was roughed up because he was a black guy who was with a White girl. Did the Angels tell him that or was he just another guy getting roughed up and since he was black some people assumed it was because he was black

If some of the Angels were racist ( be surprised if some were not ) it is irrelevant as we have already seen that he was treated like many whites there. Because someone doesn't want you in their group does not mean they want to physically hurt you. Was there a big problem of Angles going around killing black people? I have never heard of that.

The only rational opinion on this is we don't know if race had anything to do with it. Only Passaro knew if it did.

I do agree with you that too many people see Hunter as just some guy who pulled a gun and was probably trying to kill someone for no reason at all. That is not fair. Just Look at youtube comment sections. Not sure why you had to add black guy in your description. You seem obsessed with race.

Hunter was a victim like a lot of other people that day. The difference was he pulled his gun. I understand why he did and don't judge him but it did not work out for him. I wish some of the Angles could have been charged for their crimes that day. I mean we have video of Angels beating someone with a pool cue. Why were they not charged. I just think it would have been hard to convict Passaro all things considered.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-30 17:54 by stanlove.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 30, 2018 17:17

He was high on meth and pulled a gun. I dont think he aimed for the stage (he did for a short while though). He was about to shoot or threaten the angels. Who knows what would have happened had he fired the gun.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 17

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1555
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home