Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 17
Is the Hells Angel who took out Meredith Hunter a hero?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 28, 2018 08:45

As bad as the Hells Angels were on that night—and they were bad—the Angel who took out Meredith Hunter did exactly what a security professional is supposed to do in a life threatening situation. Not only did the Angel put him down, he lunged at Hunter and grabbed his arm first with the gun pointing towards the stage and secured him before the knife attack. Hunter was clearly intent on firing that weapon at someone on stage. It appeared to be in the direction of Jagger. It was an unfortunate situation, but the quick response by the Angel may have saved the life of Stone. He may have already fired the gun. I'm convinced the Angel intervention was a heroic one. Forget everything else about the bad behavior at the show and watch the video at the end and see what conclusion you come to.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Is the Hells Angel who took out Meredith Hunter a hero?
Posted by: curt ()
Date: March 28, 2018 09:56

Are you at all aware of the rather racist outlook of the Hell's Angels?
I was in attendance at this gig, and per my observations the Angels did nothing but cause all manner of discord and violence.

This was not an heroic act, it was murder.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 11:32 by curt.

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: March 28, 2018 11:26

No.

Do you have any other idiotic questions?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 28, 2018 13:16

No , he was not law enforcement . Such a ridiculous assertion .

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 28, 2018 13:55

Alan Passaro died in 1985 so we can't ask him ..

a jury acquitted him, self- defense presumably..

On the racist issue, no doubt, but to be fair, the Hells Angels at that time were certainly not discriminating about who they beat on with pool cues..

was Passaro a 'hero' that night? because he acted to prevent a possible shooting?

maybe ...the Angels were there to protect the stage, after all. A lot has been written about this.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: March 28, 2018 14:34

KevinLocksPerm
No.

Can we shut down this thread please?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 28, 2018 14:43

My guess is that if Hunter had pulled a gun in a crowded LAX and someone passing by had stabbed him and stopped that gun being fired, that someone would have probably have got Presidential recognition for bravery that potentially saved at least 7 people.............could have been, one in the chamber and six in the barrel...........guilty of murder because of the previous behaviour of other 'Angels'? ..........that's bonkers........(as we say in the UK............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 20:35 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 28, 2018 14:44

Did The Stones actually hire Hells Angels for security? In that case (which I think was not the case...) The Stones are partially to blame.
In any case, the Hells Angel probably did the right thing to intervene. But not to stab him. He should have been sentenced for it. Manslaughter.

Date: March 28, 2018 14:55

it was agreed to, on the advice of some of the local bands.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 28, 2018 15:03

The Grateful Dead's management arranged for security at the concert.
The Angels had been doing security for several of their shows up till then is my understanding. David Crosby recently (via twitter) was asked about it and wanted to make clear it was their management and not the Dead that hired them.
For what it's worth.

Date: March 28, 2018 15:14

dead.flowers
KevinLocksPerm
No.

Excellent idea. It should never have been started.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 28, 2018 15:16

If he hadn't stopped Hunter (excessively, as apparently happened all day), and Jagger were shot, the question would be "Why didn't someone stop him?.

I don't think race played a factor (although it might have given that Meredith was with a white girl), as the Angels seemed to randomly attack almost anyone. Just ask Marty Balin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 16:40 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 28, 2018 15:16

The whole day was a perfect storm of bad ideas.

Date: March 28, 2018 15:22

curt
I was in attendance at this gig, and per my observations the Angels did nothing but cause all manner of discord and violence.

Curt, where were you watching the Stones from? near the stage, when it happened?

just curious..

Date: March 28, 2018 15:32

duke richardson
curt

Curt, where were you watching the Stones from? near the stage, when it happened?

just curious..

I was about a football fields distance from the lunacy near the stage.
My comments were based on a close involvement with various club houses maintained by the Hell's Angels on the East and West coasts.

Date: March 28, 2018 15:38

curt
duke richardson
curt

just curious..

My comments were based on a close involvement with various club houses maintained by the Hell's Angels on the East and West coasts.
So people close to the Hells Angels?

Date: March 28, 2018 15:42

duke richardson
curt
duke richardson
curt

just curious..

No, people that were Hell's Angels.

Date: March 28, 2018 15:51

curt
duke richardson
curt
duke richardson
curt

just curious..

No, people that were Hell's Angels.

ok.. they said Passaro stabbed Hunter because Hunter was black and with a white girl..?

not because he brandished a pistol ?

I believe it was both.. but in any case the guy had a gun.. kinda asking for it, but this is a very hot topic, especially these days..

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: March 28, 2018 16:28

Stoneage
Did The Stones actually hire Hells Angels for security? In that case (which I think was not the case...) The Stones are partially to blame.
In any case, the Hells Angel probably did the right thing to intervene. But not to stab him. He should have been sentenced for it. Manslaughter.

Not according to Mr. Ronnie Schneider

[iorr.org]

You have mentioned that there was a lot of untruth over "Gimme Shelter". What is the real story?

This is where I could say, "read the book". Short version-the film was never planned. The untruths are in regard to Altamont. The biggest untruth is the Rolling Stones hired the Hells Angels for Altamont ... they didn't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 16:33 by oldschool.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 28, 2018 16:30

I'm sure he could have taken him out without stabbing him. That's my view on the situation. I don't think the stabbing was called for.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: March 28, 2018 16:35

Stoneage
I'm sure he could have taken him out without stabbing him. That's my view on the situation. I don't think the stabbing was called for.

I am not defending the stabbing only responding to your question if the Stones hired the Angels. Ronnie S. says no and explains the reasoning in his book.

Date: March 28, 2018 16:45

Hunter raised that gun pointed it at the stage, probably twice. The second time he was grabbed and attacked. When the Angel grabbed his arm he held on to it. Clearly he was trying to prevent a shooting. Hunter was no little guy either. Who was his target? I guess we'll never really know, but he was aiming toward the center of the stage from what I can see in the video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 16:47 by The Sicilian.

Date: March 28, 2018 17:51

The Sicilian
Hunter raised that gun pointed it at the stage, probably twice. The second time he was grabbed and attacked. When the Angel grabbed his arm he held on to it. Clearly he was trying to prevent a shooting. Hunter was no little guy either. Who was his target? I guess we'll never really know, but he was aiming toward the center of the stage from what I can see in the video.

Maybe if the Angels hadn't spent all day creating such a putrid atmosphere the situation might never have arisen. And shame on whoever thought the Angels were an acceptable security solution.

The whole event was a mistake but the defining mistake was hiring the Angels. All this ex post facto rationalisation of their presence and their conduct is rather distateful.

Date: March 28, 2018 18:08

KevinLocksPerm
The Sicilian

Maybe if the Angels hadn't spent all day creating such a putrid atmosphere the situation might never have arisen. And shame on whoever thought the Angels were an acceptable security solution.

The whole event was a mistake but the defining mistake was hiring the Angels. All this ex post facto rationalisation of their presence and their conduct is rather distateful.

Rationalize this: even if the Angels weren't there, Hunter was still there in front of the stage with a concealed gun, not somewhere on a hill or way back in the crowd, but right at the stage. At some point the gun was out and aiming at the stage, not at an attacker in the crowd.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 28, 2018 18:19

KevinLocksPerm
dead.flowers
KevinLocksPerm
No.

People like you amaze me. Nobody is forcing you here yet you are here asking for a thread ( that other people want to interact in ) to be forced down. Control freak and annoying guy.

Date: March 28, 2018 18:25

stanlove
KevinLocksPerm
dead.flowers
KevinLocksPerm
No.

People like you amaze me. Nobody is forcing you here yet you are here asking for a thread ( that other people want to interact in ) to be forced down. Control freak and annoying guy.

Exactly, it just happens to be a historic event in both Stones and music history. It will be debated for decades.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 28, 2018 18:26

Stoneage

Even if the Stones hired them, I fail to see how that makes them partially to blame. You can hire anyone you want, there would be no way to predict in advance that the group would kill someone.

One person did it, he was to blame. Was it justified? That is what we may never know. The girl w/ Meredith could best answer that, what was happening right before the gun came out, were the Angels harassing him?

Date: March 28, 2018 18:29

The Sicilian
KevinLocksPerm
The Sicilian

Rationalize this: even if the Angels weren't there, Hunter was still there in front of the stage with a concealed gun, not somewhere on a hill or way back in the crowd, but right at the stage. At some point the gun was out and aiming at the stage, not at an attacker in the crowd.

I am amazed at how so many struggle with what happened there. On this thread people have got it wrong again. The thought of some of you people on a jury is scary. The evidence is clear

Here is what happened. The Hell's Angels roughed up Hunter for whatever reason. You can claim racism but there were other black guys there who did not get roughed up and there were white people who did. When the Angels started to rough up Hunter he pulled a gun to protect himself from the Angels. Because he did that one of the Angles came over and stabbed him. The angel that stabbed him was not protecting the stage he was protecting the Angels that roughed Hunter up to begin with.

1- Are you a hero for stabbing a guy who pulled a gun on your friend because your friend had roughed him up?

2- The constant argument that he was pointing a gun at stage to shoot at someone is ridiculous and at this point actually pretty annoying. It's been half a century and people have not figured that out yet. For one thing he actually never did point at the stage. he pointed it towards the Angels. Even if you erase the Angles from the film then he still did not point it at the stage, he would have pointed it in front of the stage. Watch the film

Do you people think he actually wanted to shoot at the stage but the Angles got to him before he could pull the trigger? How long does it take to pull a trigger. That theory is idiotic. I think Hunter would have done fine in court had he lived. You can pull a gun on a bunch of thugs who attack you.

[www.findagrave.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 18:39 by stanlove.

Date: March 28, 2018 18:31

dead.flowers
KevinLocksPerm
No.

Or you could just avoid it. Back to your safe space. The type of guy who tries to shut down speech that he doesn't like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 18:40 by stanlove.

Date: March 28, 2018 18:32

LeonidP
Stoneage

Even if the Stones hired them, I fail to see how that makes them partially to blame. You can hire anyone you want, there would be no way to predict in advance that the group would kill someone.

One person did it, he was to blame. Was it justified? That is what we may never know. The girl w/ Meredith could best answer that, what was happening right before the gun came out, were the Angels harassing him?

Has she ever made a public statement? What about any court transcripts?

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 17

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1708
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home