Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

My new opinion about Their Satanic Majesties Request.
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: March 27, 2018 16:52

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-07 12:25 by UrbanSteel.

Re: My new opinion about Their Satanic Majesties Request.
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 27, 2018 18:01

Could the Stones pull off playing this album live in its entirety? Or would they improvise it too much to modern tastes? It would be amazing.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: March 27, 2018 18:13

The Sicilian
Could the Stones pull off playing this album live in its entirety? Or would they improvise it too much to modern tastes? It would be amazing.

Yeah do a one or two off with orchestra. Moody Blues style. It could be done. My thoughts too...It would be amazing. But bring in the best guitarist on earth to guest on Citadel.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 27, 2018 18:43

The Sicilian

not without Bill.

smiling smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 27, 2018 18:50

duke richardson
The Sicilian

not without Bill.

smiling smiley

And not without Brian winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 27, 2018 19:21

Nicky too ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: March 27, 2018 22:39

Would have been a totally different album and much better had it included Child Of the Moon and We Love You instead of a couple of the weaker tracks. I guess hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Date: March 27, 2018 23:30

the 'otherness' of the album, for lack of a better word, might have been changed

if those two were on it... instead of, say 'On With the Show'...'Lantern..' ?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 27, 2018 23:47

"See What Happens" is the only one I would trade out. Jimmy Miller's production makes "Child of the Moon" part of BEGGARS to me. I would add "We Love You" and "Dandelion" after "2000 Man" to round out Side One.

Date: March 28, 2018 00:12

sounds about right..

man, I love those songs !

smiling smiley

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 28, 2018 00:21

Rocky Dijon
"See What Happens" is the only one I would trade out. Jimmy Miller's production makes "Child of the Moon" part of BEGGARS to me. I would add "We Love You" and "Dandelion" after "2000 Man" to round out Side One.

You should have suggested this in October 1967 - now it's too late. Child Of The Moon is half Satanic/half Beggars to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-28 00:22 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 28, 2018 01:12

satanic is a weird but underrated album, is a huge part of the stones legacy as many albums are and is an example of the diversity the stones had that so many others didnt.

i would have included

gold painted fingernails
acid in the grass
we love you
dandelion
child of the moon

alongside

citadel
2000 man
2000 light years
on with the show
shes a rainbow
in another land
gomper
the lantern

and left out

sing this all together rubbish

1967 was a really amazing year recording wise, and could have had one great double album if you include buttons, and the hits too, ruby tuesday and lets spend the night together

and this was regarded as their weak era.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: March 28, 2018 04:41

I like 4 songs on it. Including We Love You and Dandelion would have improved it quite a bit.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2018 05:53

TSMR ... take it as it is ... believe me it aint gonna change ...

ROCKMAN

Date: March 28, 2018 06:44

duke richardson
The Sicilian

not without Bill.

smiling smiley

I absolutely agree with that.

Date: March 28, 2018 09:25

I think I would have traded 'We Love You" for "See What Happens". And then end Side 1 with a shortened "Gomper". If you look at 'Gomper" without the end jam/cacophony it takes on a whole new aura. It becomes just thus short lyrical poem. Very pretty. Just have it meander out at the 2:00 mark.
Then on Side 2 put "Dandelion" after the gloomy "Lantern" - "Prince or pauper beggar man..." it sounds great.

But 'Satanic' is what it is, and I do like it quite a bit. Literally every time I find myself listening to it I am again surprised how much better the songs are than I recalled.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 28, 2018 09:54

Call me crazy, but I like it (a lot) the way it is. Wouldn't change a thing.

Admittedly, a lot more people might like it if they HAD made some of the suggested changes, but it has a special place in my heart as it stands.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 28, 2018 10:02

I love it as an album. I can remember listening to it about 200 times at university - that and SF Sorrow - but certain substances were ingested at the time. But then, listening to it in sobriety, and I still like it. I also still like SF Sorrow.

However, at the same time, I listened to the Happy Mondays, and I no longer listen to them. I still dig out Primal Scream though, as Screamadelica is a fantastic album.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 28, 2018 10:05

The Sicilian

It would be an utterly rubbish concert experience. The tinny sound of this album, apart from 2000 Light Years From Home and She's a Rainbow, is simply unbearable.

Look, I know EVERYONE'S tastes are different. I get that. I just truly don't understand how anyone who loves The Stones and where they came from can like this mess.Sorry.

Rod

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: March 28, 2018 17:26

Rocky Dijon

Child of the Moon is in my Top 10 Stones songs. I am not sure if it would fit on any of their albums.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: March 28, 2018 17:43

tomcasagranda
I also still like SF Sorrow.

However, at the same time, I listened to the Happy Mondays, and I no longer listen to them. I still dig out Primal Scream though, as Screamadelica is a fantastic album.

I love TSMR and all associated singles including Child of the Moon.

As for SF Sorrow, I haven't listened to it in a while but I do like it.

Primal Scream and Happy Mondays are two of my favourite bands and they are up there with the Stones for me. Never get tired of all three of them.

Date: March 28, 2018 18:21

bitusa2012
The Sicilian

It would be an utterly rubbish concert experience. The tinny sound of this album, apart from 2000 Light Years From Home and She's a Rainbow, is simply unbearable.

Look, I know EVERYONE'S tastes are different. I get that. I just truly don't understand how anyone who loves The Stones and where they came from can like this mess.Sorry.

That era was full of surprises and crazy weird things. But it was happening all over the music scene. The Stones gave us their interpretation of the moment.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 28, 2018 18:29

Rockman
TSMR ... take it as it is ... believe me it aint gonna change ...

thumbs up Eggzactly!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 3, 2018 05:45

Monsoon Ragoon

You should have suggested this in October 1967 - now it's too late. Child Of The Moon is half Satanic/half Beggars to me.

It was written after TSMR was released. grinning smiley

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 3, 2018 19:23

I recommend Mickboy's "Presents TSMR" for an interesting twist on what it could have been with a different line-up. That was done back around what? 2000? Very enjoyable plus the bonus tracks are nice too, including MONO 45 mixes and a "We Love You" track with background vocals isolated ( kinda nice to hear John and Pauls vocals clearly!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-03 19:26 by scottkeef.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 4, 2018 00:39

Very hard to like work overall, excepting a couple masterpieces. Think I'll create my own CD, with Dandelion, We Love You, and Child of the Moon mixed in and see if it's more palatable. Smoke a bowl, put on some headphones, refer to 'All The Songs' and give it a real shot.

Ruby Tuesday fits on there too.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: April 4, 2018 01:03

Irix
duke richardson
The Sicilian

not without Bill.

smiling smiley

And not without Brian winking smiley

And not without Keith too!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 4, 2018 21:31

I recall number of years ago (15? 20?) the band having a "psychedelic" portion of the show. What was it? 2000LYFH, Rainbow? Whatever it was I thought it was the most effective part of the show. It was an opportunity for the band to make a big sound and a lot of noise. I suggest dedicating a portion of a future show to a solid set of those songs, more than just dabbling with it. As for TSMR...much of it is a heavy, ponderous work. It does not have the touch that...say a George Martin would bring. But it is a guilty pleasure. I like more of it than I care to admit.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: April 5, 2018 03:13

redkev
Would have been a totally different album and much better had it included Child Of the Moon and We Love You instead of a couple of the weaker tracks. I guess hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Always said that. Plus something like Dandelion and JJF and an instant classic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1775
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home