Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Think I'm going mad....
Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: March 23, 2018 15:35

Who plays the sax on this...sounds like David Sanborn who also played on Too Much Blood which was from same sessions right?

Re: Think I'm going mad....
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 23, 2018 15:46

Mel Collins on sax.
Sanborn played sax on "Pretty Beat Up".

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: March 23, 2018 15:52

Mel Collins (of King Crimson fame) also plays sax on Miss You.

He still got his chops on tour with King Crimson. Will see him later this year in Oslo.

The session with Think I'm Going Mad was in 1977 (for Some Girls), if memory serves...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-23 15:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 23, 2018 16:07

DandelionPowderman

He still got his chops on tour with King Crimson. Will see him later this year in Oslo.

The session with Think I'm Going Mad was in 1977 (for Some Girls), if memory serves...

I think 1979.

Date: March 23, 2018 16:10

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman

I think 1979.

I thought so, too, but I doubt that Collins came in twice for session work with the Stones. Especially after being wiped on the Miss You-single.

It's a bit weird...

I'm pretty sure the Stones did work on it in 1979, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-23 16:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 23, 2018 16:17

More on how Mel felt about the session with the Stones here.

Date: March 23, 2018 16:31

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman

I think 1979.

I thought so, too, but I doubt that Collins came in twice for session work with the Stones. Especially after being wiped on the Miss You-single.

It's a bit weird...

I'm pretty sure the Stones did work on it in 1979, though.

Interesting theory. The 1977-79 sessions were a unit anyway, many SG outtakes were reheated in 1979.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: March 23, 2018 20:08

Ronnie Wood said in an interview or on his radio show that he played sax on it.

Maybe they wiped his part and later substituted it with an overdub by a sax pro?

N

Date: March 23, 2018 21:10

NeddieFlanders

Maybe they wiped his part and later substituted it with an overdub by a sax pro?

N

Yep, and Keith sang it first.

Not Ronnie's sax on the final version, though.

Date: March 23, 2018 21:23

DandelionPowderman
NeddieFlanders

N

Did I miss something? The long KR vocals take is from 1982 and a totally new "jam" take which has nothing to do (except that it sounds pretty similar) with the basic track from 1979 (or 1977/78). I forgot which 1979 version(s) I have, Zentgraf lists three early versions.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: March 24, 2018 11:58

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
NeddieFlanders

N

Did I miss something? The long KR vocals take is from 1982 and a totally new "jam" take which has nothing to do (except that it sounds pretty similar) with the basic track from 1979 (or 1977/78). I forgot which 1979 version(s) I have, Zentgraf lists three early versions.

Monsoon is right - KR resurrected it in a nightly jam (with Jim Barber on bass) during the Undercover-sessions in late 1982.

N

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 24, 2018 15:24

I've wondered if the B-side version was David Sanborn and Chuck Leavell playing. It has more of an eighties feel compared with the common bootleg version to my ears. Maybe it's all int he mix or perhaps overdubs were done during the UNDERCOVER sessions.

The longer finished outtake which sounds very close to the B-side version also sounds clearly like Mel Collins and Ian McLagan. I'm not talking about the very long version with Keith's guide vocal.

Then of course Ernie Watts played on a version with Mick Taylor called "Goin' Mad" a number of years ago. That made me wonder if Ernie did a studio overdub to replace Mel Collins at any point. Not saying the B-side sounds like Ernie is playing.

Date: March 25, 2018 03:50

DandelionPowderman

Damn I wish it said more. I guess Keith was the one ignoring him, and Ron throwing the party. Or Charlie ignored him, ad Keith threw the party??

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 25, 2018 15:45

I've never been able to really tell the difference between the boot versions and the official version other than the length, at least off the top of my head at this moment.

There's no way it's from the U sessions - it is the sound of ER.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 26, 2018 00:17

I Think I am Going Mad is from the Emotional Rescue sessions as Charlie has the china crash which he only added after Some Girls.

Mathijs

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: March 26, 2018 00:53

GasLightStreet
I've never been able to really tell the difference between the boot versions and the official version other than the length, at least off the top of my head at this moment.

There's no way it's from the U sessions - it is the sound of ER.

Both versions are very similar I think it's a question of remixing.
At the begining of the boot version the 'I think I'm goin' Mad' line is repeated 4 times. On the official version it's repeated 2 times.

Date: March 26, 2018 01:02

The bootleg has a second vocal on the chorus, the b-side does not. The placement of instruments in the mix is a bit different as well.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: March 26, 2018 14:08

DandelionPowderman

Thanks! Excellent article about Mel Collins

Date: March 26, 2018 18:00

So near as I can tell, are we concluding that Mel Collins played on sessions for both SOME GIRLS and EMOTIONAL RESCUE?

Date: March 26, 2018 21:03

Rocky Dijon
So near as I can tell, are we concluding that Mel Collins played on sessions for both SOME GIRLS and EMOTIONAL RESCUE?

I doubt that. Only for SG, I'd say.

Date: March 27, 2018 05:32

I agree, Bard. Mathijs had the interesting bit about Charlie's kit, though. Did they re-cut the track and simply overdub the saxophone from the previous set of sessions or is it someone other than Madman Mel on saxophone?

Date: March 27, 2018 10:55

Rocky Dijon
I agree, Bard. Mathijs had the interesting bit about Charlie's kit, though. Did they re-cut the track and simply overdub the saxophone from the previous set of sessions or is it someone other than Madman Mel on saxophone?

Or did they add the China? Lots of possibilities smiling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 27, 2018 12:02

DandelionPowderman
Rocky Dijon

Or did they add the China? Lots of possibilities smiling smiley

Charlie changed his dark Blue Gretsch set to his maple set in March 1978 during sessions for Ron Wood in LA. On TIGM he plays the maple set with China.

Mathijs

Date: March 27, 2018 15:43

You're always an education, Mathijs. Thanks.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 27, 2018 23:57

That is what we can call accuracy ! Thanks Mathijs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1572
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home