Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Wall - Pink Floyd
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 22, 2018 18:06

This album brought new sounds to the band. I think Rogers Waters must have listened to both The Beach Boys and Simon & Garfunkel (The Only Living Boy in New York) to write this. Yes, I know producer Bob Ezrin must have had his say. Besides, and not particularly related, ain`t David Gilmour a big fan of The Eagles?

Re: OT: The Wall - Pink Floyd
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 22, 2018 18:13

This is the first of the Pink Three albums.

But I guess most fans accept it, so long as it's Roger Waters is fronting the Pink Three.

A lot of fans have a problem with David Gilmour's later version of the Pink Three.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 22, 2018 18:26

I actually prefer this to Dark Side and Wish - but have heard all of them too much.

Like most double albums, there is a little bit of filler.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 22, 2018 18:30

Fantastic album that came out when I was 16 yrs. old, and saw the original show twice at the L.A. Sports Arena, 1980 - it set the bar very high as far as all around concert experiences go.

Date: March 23, 2018 00:23

I seems this album had something for everyone. The high level production brought a certain smoothness to the sound, which gathered new fans, who wouldn`t have listen to a new album from the band in the first place. Just think of the previous "Animals". The disputable lyrics didn`t seem to put a damper on it`s popularity. I think this was the first PF album that made people use the word "magic".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-23 00:27 by noughties.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 23, 2018 00:51

I don't even consider it a Pink Floyd album. Cause it hardly is in any regard. I think its a fantastic album, but it was when Pink Floyd with Animals became Roger Waters with The Wall. Its so gung ho with that one idea, while also having very few of the elements of classic Floyd, that I never saw it as Floyd. And thats totally cool, I see The Final Cut the same way and I think that album is outstanding. But its not Pink Floyd. Shorter songs that were so story driven as opposed to music driven, as well as sounding a bit more radio friendly (but maybe thats Another Brick In The Wall tainting my memory since I'm young and have always known it that way). Something like Money or Wish You Were Here never sounded like hits to me. They sounded like what this band does that just happened to crossover. Brick feels a bit more calculated, not in a bad way, but just always noticeable to me.

Great record but I don't think it brought new sounds to the band. Or I guess I didn't like the sounds it brought as they became "cornerstones" of the Floyd sound to many even though the album is basically an anomaly of their catalogue. The post Waters Floyd albums sounded more like Floyd to me but I also don't consider them "Pink Floyd" because I think without Roger's lyrics the albums bore me to sleep.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: March 23, 2018 01:15

Hairball
saw the original show twice at the L.A. Sports Arena, 1980 - it set the bar very high as far as all around concert experiences go.

That must have been something. I would like to hear more about it.

EDITED (TWICE) FOR SPELLING ERRORS

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-23 01:16 by misterfrias.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: March 23, 2018 01:48

Hairball
Fantastic album that came out when I was 16 yrs. old, and saw the original show twice at the L.A. Sports Arena, 1980 - it set the bar very high as far as all around concert experiences go.

Wow, I would’ve loved to have seen one of those shows.

I’ve seen a bootleg DVD of one of the London shows, must’ve been incredible to experience in person.

I remember when the album came out, and the radio edit of Another Brick in the Wall I & 2 cutting out The Happiest Days of Our Lives (shame too cuz that walking baseline is flat out fat). The radio edit was in constant radio rotation in ‘79/89.

The Wall was my intro to Pink Floyd... after I discovered DSOTM, Wish You Were Here and Animals I’ve barely listened to it since the 80s. Animals has grown to be my favorite from them, in fact it’s one of my favorite albums period.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: March 23, 2018 04:10

misterfrias
Hairball
saw the original show twice at the L.A. Sports Arena, 1980 - it set the bar very high as far as all around concert experiences go.

That must have been something. I would like to hear more about it.

EDITED (TWICE) FOR SPELLING ERRORS

Credit goes to my older brother for getting us tickets as it does with so many concerts I attended when I was between 15 and 19 years old.
I was in High school when the album came out, and listened to it religiously for months on end (intertwined with a bunch of punk, reggae, and other classic rock lol). It was a double whammy of all things Floyd, but even moreso than that because of the heavy concept - an individual isolating himself and ultimately breaking down - perfect for a high schooler ha - it was as Floydian as it gets.

As for the concerts themselves, I can remember being ecstatic at being one of the chosen few because of the difficulty in getting tickets even though there was a total of seven nights scheduled at the Sports Arena (and only 31 in total all together - NY, London, and Dortmund were the other places). We had tickets for both the second show and the second to the last show - Feb 8 and 12, 1980. I recall the days leading up to the shows, and the opening night making the evening news in L.A. due to a curtain over the stage catching on fire during the show itself. Having not been to very many concerts yet at the time, I had no idea what to expect other than knowing they were playing the album in it's entirety. As far as the theatrics (huge puppets, crashing planes, etc., etc.), the building of the Wall itself, and the amazing quadrophonic sound system, it was all really mind boggling. Having smoked some killer weed only enhanced the experience ha. There were moments of dark humour and other moments of all around darkness that could make one feel a bit uneasy at times, sitting on the edge of your seat trying to anticipate or brace yourself what was going to happen next. Sort of similar to when you watch a great movie in a theater and are completely captivated by the sights and the sounds, but this was ten times more intense. Seeing Gilmour appear atop the Wall for blazing the solo on Comfortably Numb was really heavenly - extraordinarily so. For 1980, it was all the state of the art, and it left a huge impression on me even up to this day. I could go on and on and on, but if you're familiar with Roger's recent version of the tour, it was similar to that but it followed more closely to the concept of the album itself. And while the theatrics and effects, etc. of Rogers recent version had been updated to today's state of the art standards, the original Wall shows were far superior imo - much of which has to do with it being Pink Floyd proper vs. Roger and his studio musicians backing band. That said, I loved Rogers recent version also, and found it to be almost as mind boggling visually, though the concept was a bit diluted and strayed a bit. As for the second show on the 12th, we took just enough mushrooms to get mildly high (well to be honest, I was frying heavily lol), so everything was enhanced by tenfold.

A couple of pics of my original program (notice burn marks):

Evidently I used to use it as a rolling tray when in high school, because when I rediscovered it a few years ago in storage there was a couple of seeds and a stem in the gatefold.

(Note the dates I scribbled in pen back in the day, and the upside down pot leaf).

When my older brother sadly passed away ten years ago, I was given crates upon crates of his record collection and suitcases filled with other memorabilia he collected, and inside one of them I found a brand new mint condition copy of the program. Whereas mine is nicely used and abused and a sign of the times, his copy looks like it came off the printing press just yesterday.

rattler2004
Hairball

Wow, I would’ve loved to have seen one of those shows.

I’ve seen a bootleg DVD of one of the London shows, must’ve been incredible to experience in person.

I remember when the album came out, and the radio edit of Another Brick in the Wall I & 2 cutting out The Happiest Days of Our Lives (shame too cuz that walking baseline is flat out fat). The radio edit was in constant radio rotation in ‘79/89.

The Wall was my intro to Pink Floyd... after I discovered DSOTM, Wish You Were Here and Animals I’ve barely listened to it since the 80s. Animals has grown to be my favorite from them, in fact it’s one of my favorite albums period.

Yes when first released, the radio edit was constantly played - I recall the first few times hearing it and when the kids sing the "all in all your just a..." part, I thought they were singing some phrase in Spanish - just thinking about it I can still hear it like that today..."olé olé justa"...haha.

As for favorites, hard to pick an absolute one as those four albums from Dark Side to The Wall are really like the Stones' Big 4 as far as quality and pretty much all around perfection from start to finish imo. I remember Dark Side coming out when I was 8 or 9 and Money was played all the time on the radio, then my brother buying the album and being captivated by the best sound quality I'd ever heard on an album - it still stands up there today as supreme. And I have some very fond memories of both Wish You Were Hear and Animals when they were released, but would lean towards Animals as better than the two if forced to choose. And then the Wall which I described above - it was a perfect Floyd album that came out at a perfect time for me, and it's legacy as one of the greatest is still strong to this day. Via wiki: " the album topped the Billboard charts for 15 weeks, selling over a million copies in its first two months of sales and in 1999 was certified 23x platinum. It remains one of the best-selling albums of all time in the US, between 1979 and 1990 selling over 19 million copies worldwide. The Wall is the 145th most ranked record on critics' all-time lists. Rolling Stone placed it at number 87 on its 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list in 2003". I've chosen all of those four as ultimate favorites at various times in my life, but ultimately if put on a desert island and only able to take one with me, would have to go with Dark Side for a variety of reasons.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 23, 2018 05:11

Hairball, that is touching about your older brother~

Your time in HS is similar to mine/deep music heads and hallucinations, lol.

Why, I don’t know, our groups thought it was ‘interesting’ to take high-ly
mind altering items and then find the freakiest entertainment I look back and think no wonder my nerves are shot lol.
I kept it together but saw others have bad trips and that whole intense Floyd show, I can’t do it. I don’t do horror flicks either.

Anyway, something to be said about living so much so young and free to make your own choices and surviving it.

So anyway Pink Floyd was played a lot by my friends, some of their songs are classic great to me, but the darker going down stuff/ I’m not drawn to/ the whole show a deep headtrip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-23 05:20 by 35love.

Date: March 23, 2018 05:57

35love, I had several acquaintances in High school who were heavily into the Grateful Dead and followed the band around, espcecially in the following years after High school.
Every time they came back to town, they were becoming more of a shadow of their former selves each time, and eventually a couple of them never came back at all...they were definitely 'out there'.

I always abided by the laws of moderation, and while I dabbled and experimented here and there back in those days, I always landed on my feet.
To quote Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BC – 43 BC): "Never go to excess, but let moderation be your guide".
I soon realized that "beer and weed is all you need" along with "women, wine, and song", and still abide by that to this day (although I rarely drink any more).
As Mick would say: "You'll never make a saint of me..." so excuse me while I light my spiff. But I keep forgetting it's legal now in California!!! Nothing really rebellious about it anymore!!

Date: March 23, 2018 18:52

Well, I`ve been nipping to the bottle as a conventional listener. The album is still great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2032
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home