Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian on 19th Nervous Breakdown - Lead to rhythm?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 22, 2018 04:16

What a great song this is. I loved it on the 1997 tour. Except Darryl's part.

What's with Brian in this video? He seems to be barely playing and just going through the motions. I've seen him in other videos playing lead on the song, especially the fuzzy riff after the part "you better stop and look around" He looks like crap too.

Did this song originally have Brian playing the leads then being demoted to rhythm?

video: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Brian on 19th Nervous Breakdown - Lead to rhythm?
Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 22, 2018 04:39

What lead? One is just an arpeggio lick and the other guitar is just chords. And the fuzz has always been Keith. Never seen a video were Jones plays it.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 22, 2018 05:18

Cooltoplady
What lead? One is just an arpeggio lick and the other guitar is just chords. And the fuzz has always been Keith. Never seen a video were Jones plays it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-22 05:19 by The Sicilian.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 22, 2018 05:22

I want me some of them long guitar cords so's I can hide my amp back stage and mock play on stage. I think, if you look at everyone's facial expressions, Wyman especially, they all know they're not playing or taking the song seriously.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 22, 2018 11:56

The Sicilian
Cooltoplady

Its Keith, and it has always been Keith. Brian does the tremelo picking.

Mathijs

Date: March 22, 2018 12:01

Mathijs
The Sicilian
Cooltoplady

Its Keith, and it has always been Keith. Brian does the tremelo picking.

Mathijs

He might be referring to that little lick right before «here it comes...» in the left channel.

Date: March 22, 2018 12:04

But Keith is doing that lick here, when they play it live...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 22, 2018 12:48

On the Live clip it is obviously Keith on his Guild. He even plays it in a lower register right on camera. Brian may look very disengaged because his part on this song is playing that low tremolo drone with mainly open strings. So there is little movement with fingers. '65 Brian was hot and cold; plus wasn't even wild about guitar anymore.

Date: March 22, 2018 13:15

Palace Revolution 2000
On the Live clip it is obviously Keith on his Guild. He even plays it in a lower register right on camera. Brian may look very disengaged because his part on this song is playing that low tremolo drone with mainly open strings. So there is little movement with fingers. '65 Brian was hot and cold; plus wasn't even wild about guitar anymore.

Yes, but on the studio version, in the left (Brian's) channel - do you think there is a Keith overdub right before the ..."here it comes"-parts? Or did Brian use a pedal for those parts, and played those?

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 22, 2018 18:03

The Sicilian
Cooltoplady

I dont see it Sicilian. You can see he doesnt play single notes there. Brian just hits a chord and raises his arm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-22 18:05 by Cooltoplady.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 22, 2018 18:18

That's the Ed Sullivan Show.

Only the singer is live.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 22, 2018 18:53

go to 6.25 - Keith talks and plays some of 19th Nervous Breakdown.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 22, 2018 19:11

DandelionPowderman
But Keith is doing that lick here, when they play it live...

[www.youtube.com]

Right after the first "Stop, and look around" at 38 sec. Keith seems to hit a real clunker, but the second time at 1:22 seems to nail it properly as he also does at 2:25 and 3:35.
Looking through it again, and maybe he intends to play the first one that way, but it still sounds a bit off.

Date: March 22, 2018 20:05

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000

Yes, but on the studio version, in the left (Brian's) channel - do you think there is a Keith overdub right before the ..."here it comes"-parts? Or did Brian use a pedal for those parts, and played those?

That is a good question. I thought maybe they took his signal and just panned it over to the other side, but why would they? If it was his signal to begin with, they would just blast it on his side. Because it is not a stereo split.
It has to be an over dub.By Keith. No way it is a pedal. I doubt even at today's level anyone could do such a clean switch back and forth; with nothing heard in final ix either.

That was weird though - I could not find a freakin stereo version of '19th Breakdown". All my versions are some oddness version; either live, or outtake etc. All the regular ones are Mono. Took some digging .

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 22, 2018 20:20

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000

That is a good question. I thought maybe they took his signal and just panned it over to the other side, but why would they? If it was his signal to begin with, they would just blast it on his side. Because it is not a stereo split.
It has to be an over dub.By Keith. No way it is a pedal. I doubt even at today's level anyone could do such a clean switch back and forth; with nothing heard in final ix either.

That was weird though - I could not find a freakin stereo version of '19th Breakdown". All my versions are some oddness version; either live, or outtake etc. All the regular ones are Mono. Took some digging .

Have a look here: [iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 23, 2018 05:48

The Stones Ed Sullivan Shows were live performances until 1966 (Paint It Black etc) then live vocals over pre-recorded backing tracks..

Date: March 24, 2018 10:06

Deltics
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000

Have a look here: [iorr.org]

Wow Deltics! Thanks. I didn't realize that it really had never been put out in stereo. So the versions on Tube and online are basically manufactured stereo? I have to say though: I enjoyed the stereo "19th Breakdown" immensely. I could really hear Brian grooving over there in his channel.

PS Speaking of odd listening experiences: I am so used to listening the odd versions; the never-quite-the-official version, that there are times when I do hear the 'actual' version it throws me. yesterday I decided to listen to Big Hits comp that had "out of Time" on it. And I realized that I had ONLY been listening to the string version in last years. I heard the long rendition, and I was like "What are these new verses?"
Or with "Steel Wheels" - I never ever listen to the official disc; always the bootleg outtakes. By now the real mix sounds like some 12 " remix to me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1631
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home