Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Does the Pit & Golden Circle Dilute the Atmosphere at Stones Concerts ?
Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: March 21, 2018 22:42

Ok as the Stones Roll into Town this summer will the atmosphere be diluted with Pit and Golden Circle attendees occupying the closest spots to the stage . with locals and casual buyers who would be really up for one off shows pushed to the back. Yes I know it's all about money and Pit and Golden Circle clients pay the most so should be entitled but my point is most of these Clients will have seen the Stones many times so would they be as excited as much and create an atmosphere more than first time Stones concert goers ?. I remember being at Edinburgh Murrayfield 1999 and the place was bedlam and rocking . I don't remember having segregated ticket options.

Re: Does the Pit & Golden Circle Dilute the Atmosphere at Stones Concerts ?
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 21, 2018 22:49

I don't think so. I think the hardcore fans are buying the better seats within budget. What the pricing tiers does is segregate drunks and those arriving late from pushing forward and crowding out people who waited all day to be able to have a good spot.

To think the hard core fans would be less excited for the show than somebody who is a casual fan is pretty funny. If someone has never seen the Stones in 50 years while living in the UK, France or Germany in particular they will not be more excited than someone going back for more.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 21, 2018 22:59

daspyknows
I don't think so. I think the hardcore fans are buying the better seats within budget. What the pricing tiers does is segregate drunks and those arriving late from pushing forward and crowding out people who waited all day to be able to have a good spot.

To think the hard core fans would be less excited for the show than somebody who is a casual fan is pretty funny. If someone has never seen the Stones in 50 years while living in the UK, France or Germany in particular they will not be more excited than someone going back for more.

Absolutely bang on target !!! thumbs up

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: bengigan ()
Date: March 21, 2018 23:06

Golden circle is actually a great place to view the concert. A few times i was pit on the rail. Its always my dream to be that close, but I found that on No Filter the stage was way too high at the front. So viewing angles are much better from further back

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 21, 2018 23:51

Whole floor with no sectors does indeed create the problems that PaulyWaul and daspyknows allude to - marauding drunks and other assorted ar**holes pushing their way up to the last minute past people who’ve waited all day. There was an awful lot of it at that show in Murrayfield back in 1999 where the whole floor was Argentinian style GA with no Front of Stage. Security was very weak, with people easily getting cans and bottles inside which rolled around the floor during the show once discarded.

However, that said, I think it would be a much better idea to make the whole floor GA tickets, keep the Pit and Golden Circle rails, but instead fill those front sections with those willing to queue the longest and wristband early comers until those sections are full. It would not be hard to organise and many bands still do it. The Stones themselves used to do this.

They could work out the weighted average cost of a floor ticket and sell the whole floor at that price so the same revenue is generated. That way, with no loss of income to the Band and no issues with late pushers in, everyone would have a chance to get to the front if they’re willing to queue.

What we have now is a very exclusive elitist system where those willing and able to pay the OTT prices for Pit and GC can turn up at the last minute and get the best places.

Rock and Roll and elitism are a contradiction for me.

In Dublin for example, GA will be 70 EUR, GC 180 EUR and Pit 400 EUR.

Why not make the whole floor, say 120 EUR, keep Pit and GC and fill them with those willing to queue and inconvenience themselves instead? I reckon the atmosphere would improve a lot as it would mean younger fans could get up from and add a bit of youthful enthusiasm to the atmosphere.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 22, 2018 00:14

grzegorz67
Whole floor with no sectors does indeed create the problems that PaulyWaul and daspyknows allude to - marauding drunks and other assorted ar**holes pushing their way up to the last minute past people who’ve waited all day. There was an awful lot of it at that show in Murrayfield back in 1999 where the whole floor was Argentinian style GA with no Front of Stage. Security was very weak, with people easily getting cans and bottles inside which rolled around the floor during the show once discarded.

However, that said, I think it would be a much better idea to make the whole floor GA tickets, keep the Pit and Golden Circle rails, but instead fill those front sections with those willing to queue the longest and wristband early comers until those sections are full. It would not be hard to organise and many bands still do it. The Stones themselves used to do this.

They could work out the weighted average cost of a floor ticket and sell the whole floor at that price so the same revenue is generated. That way, with no loss of income to the Band and no issues with late pushers in, everyone would have a chance to get to the front if they’re willing to queue.

What we have now is a very exclusive elitist system where those willing and able to pay the OTT prices for Pit and GC can turn up at the last minute and get the best places.

Rock and Roll and elitism are a contradiction for me.

In Dublin for example, GA will be 70 EUR, GC 180 EUR and Pit 400 EUR.

Why not make the whole floor, say 120 EUR, keep Pit and GC and fill them with those willing to queue and inconvenience themselves instead? I reckon the atmosphere would improve a lot as it would mean younger fans could get up from and add a bit of youthful enthusiasm to the atmosphere.

thumbs up

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 22, 2018 00:32

Interesting idea but probably a bit of a hassle to set-up...

The "best of both worlds" setup is probably what they had at Hyde Park in 2013, one side of the stage to the tip of the catwalk : 100% GA, the other side PIT+GC.

I did HP1 in the Pit and HP2 in GA and I was actually closer for HP2 right in the angle...but I got there at 9AM, gave it all I had to run to the front around 12AM where I collapsed and waited with my friends in the sun for 9 hours for the Stones to hit the stage, quite an experience ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 22, 2018 00:48

gotdablouse

The "best of both worlds" setup is probably what they had at Hyde Park in 2013, one side of the stage to the tip of the catwalk : 100% GA, the other side PIT+GC.

I did HP1 in the Pit and HP2 in GA and I was actually closer for HP2 right in the angle...but I got there at 9AM, gave it all I had to run to the front around 12AM where I collapsed and waited with my friends in the sun for 9 hours for the Stones to hit the stage, quite an experience ;-)

I was in GA at both of those shows. The idea was good but poorly implemented. There should have been a Pit create in GA for early queuers but the whole thing was a free for all and quite a few idiots pushed in at showtime with numerous fights in the crowd.

Those 2 shows were shambolically disorganised by modern stsndards. I waited up overnight before Show 1 (I hadn’t planned to - there was a tickets screw up) and arrived at 8am for show 2.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 22, 2018 00:55

Aren’t the fans getting/ARE too old to stand in line for 8-9 hours before the show?
Given a choice of paying more money, or standing outside for 8-9 hours, before I stand for another 4-5 hours, and then walk back,
I’m going to pay more.
Just like taking a long commercial airplane flight; I will pay more for 1 stop as opposed to 2 stops/ adding another 5-6 hours to a 13 hour flight!

Does this make me an elitist? No. If I go to fewer shows, so be it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-22 00:56 by 35love.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 22, 2018 03:20

35love
Aren’t the fans getting/ARE too old to stand in line for 8-9 hours before the show?
Given a choice of paying more money, or standing outside for 8-9 hours, before I stand for another 4-5 hours, and then walk back,
I’m going to pay more.
Just like taking a long commercial airplane flight; I will pay more for 1 stop as opposed to 2 stops/ adding another 5-6 hours to a 13 hour flight!

I'm with you on this one thumbs up

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 22, 2018 05:25

What does dilute the atmosphere is very expensive seating immediately front of stage. I remember a previous Twickenham show where the whole floor of the stadium was seated, and when the show started a lot of those seats were still empty. A Pit is usually full of enthusiastic people, even if they are rich.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 22, 2018 05:56

Green Lady
What does dilute the atmosphere is very expensive seating immediately front of stage. I remember a previous Twickenham show where the whole floor of the stadium was seated, and when the show started a lot of those seats were still empty. A Pit is usually full of enthusiastic people, even if they are rich.

thumbs up That's the worst.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 22, 2018 06:20

35love
I’m going to pay more.

I agree with this 100%. If I have a team of people and we work together its feasible. There is a free festival in SF and blankets go down a few hours after the previous day ends, I then arrive before sunrise to take over. For these shows I am with one friend so I'd rather spend the extra dough to be where I want.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: March 22, 2018 11:31

Green Lady

I agree with the first but not with the later. I was in front row in Amsterdam Premium Standing last year. So that was directly behind the pit. Some people at the back of the pit didn't seem to have much interest in the show especially when they played songs like shine a light they were talking all the way. but as there was only one rail (no security trench) between pit and premium standing we heard more of their talking than the sound from the stage. they even checked their Facebook accounts and so on directly in front of my face. that spoiled my experience in front of the premium standing.

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: March 22, 2018 11:48

To be in the pit is the best place to be.

From my experience in Paris last year (I was three times in the pit, keith's side), there is a big lack of enthusiasm.

Few years ago, it was a real big bang in the first rows when they take the stage, and all people raise their hands and shout.

It is not the case now, these days seem to be gone...because now, even in the pit, people are so quiet and do not seem to be a part of the show.

I have no memory of a full pit having the hands raised alltogether... while it was common few years ago.

Some are bashing our heroes because they are not like they were 20 years ago, but I think the crowd also has changed a lot (but I don't know the reason why, are we getting older ?).

Date: March 22, 2018 12:00

RiffKichards

From my experience in Paris last year (I was three times in the pit, keith's side), there is a big lack of enthusiasm.

Few years ago, it was a real big bang in the first rows when they take the stage, and all people raise their hands and shout.

It is not the case now, these days seem to be gone...because now, even in the pit, people are so quiet and do not seem to be a part of the show.

I have no memory of a full pit having the hands raised alltogether... while it was common few years ago.

Some are bashing our heroes because they are not like they were 20 years ago, but I think the crowd also has changed a lot (but I don't know the reason why, are we getting older ?).

I agree with you. I think a big point is the use of smartphones at gigs. many people use them during the concert so they can't clap their hands anymore. this is not only at stones gigs but nearly at every gig I attended in the last years.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 22, 2018 12:05

It is a common misunderstanding that the band do only see the pit and the first 20 rows. If you watch the Cuba show, or the River Plate or La Plata Argentina shows, where there are absolutely no barriers, same seating i.e. standing all over the field, the mood and the excitement is NOT built up by the ones in the front, by the many in the crowd. As seen from the stage, and as seen from any place in the venue, there is a roar, and believe me, 60,000 fans make a bigger roar than the 400x2 in the pit.

I was at SarsStock Toronto, where there was only one ticket; I think I paid something like CAN $23. The crowd in Düsseldorf 2017 was way better than the SarsStock crowd, because of may reasons. It would not have helped with 2,000 die hard scvreaming fans in the front in Toronto that summer, it is the "whole" crowd, everyone there, that define the greatness of the crowd.

I was at a show one time when the crowd was "dead". I have always refused to say where it was, because it might lead to wrong directions, but much to my surprise, that show did not work. I was there, my friends were there, it is and was a central hub, but the crowd was dead, no matter if it was front or back seats or standing.

Age has a lot to do with great shows. One of the shows in Oslo was the besdt show of that tour because the average age was may be 40, young crowd, back in 2007 at Valle Hovin. While the Telenor Arena show in 2014 was all different.

The large GA area with a good ticket price makes it possible for all fans to see the Stones. That is the most important bit. If the GA ticket cost 200 or more USD/Euro then there will be an older crowd which do have less energy for two hours, well may be you and me may scream and jump a bit but most people age 60+ do not run marathon every week. It is all about age really.

Bjornulf

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 22, 2018 12:07

What a load of malarkey . What are you advocating ? this is a Free enterprise system of buyers choice of seats .

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 22, 2018 12:11

35love

Exactly, and there is no need to if each Pit or Main Floor ticket just had a number on it. The ticket holders would line up one hour prior in groups of 200...1 thru 200...201 thru 400...etc based on their ticket number. They do this in Seoul, South Korea for big concerts and it works perfectly. It also encourages/rewards fans to purchase their tickets early because those are the lowest numbered tickets (first entry).

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: March 22, 2018 14:30

The average age of the people attending a Stones concert has increased.
At least 60% of the global attendance is not seeing the band for the 1st time either.

Enthousiasm is logically weaker than what it was in the 60ies, or even in the 90ies.
With cheap tickets, there could ba a bit more enthousiasm but would it make a BIG change ? Not sure, sadly.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 22, 2018 15:02

I think the pit is a completely over rated costly experience.I was at the Amsterdam show in the pit and the folk around me were like the living dead.There was more excitement from the crowd behind me in the golden circle.The exception to this was at the Uruguay gig,where the pit front section were up for the party and gig.

Date: March 22, 2018 15:07

RiffKichards

This doesn't really add up with the rest of your post?

Haven't tried the pit myself, but I have great experiences from the old FOS. 2007 was the last time.

Date: March 22, 2018 15:10

Get rid of the pit,and make it all general admission.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: March 22, 2018 15:18

Where is the best place to see the show from golden circle. is it in one of the sides or in the middle?

Last year i was in the pit.

Date: March 22, 2018 15:36

rebelhipi
Where is the best place to see the show from golden circle. is it in one of the sides or in the middle?

Last year i was in the pit.

in the middle right before the "b-stage" is only good if you are tall enough. I prefer the corner of the stage/pit. the sound is amazing there (right in front of the big speakers) and you will have a good look at the stage.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 22, 2018 15:38

grzegorz67
gotdablouse

I was in GA at both of those shows. The idea was good but poorly implemented. There should have been a Pit create in GA for early queuers but the whole thing was a free for all and quite a few idiots pushed in at showtime with numerous fights in the crowd.

Those 2 shows were shambolically disorganised by modern stsndards. I waited up overnight before Show 1 (I hadn’t planned to - there was a tickets screw up) and arrived at 8am for show 2.

Dunno, it seemed ok on both occasions with relatively few people making a nuisance of themselves trying to crash GA just before showtime. One guy did try but "crowd self-control" got the better of him and security was very quick at letting him know he was going to have to tone it down or be gone. Come to think of it, they may have taken him out in the end. Clearly there was a lot more "concern" in GA at the front than in the pit. Although the pit was more packed than last year or than at the O2. It almost felt "dangerous", hehe...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 22, 2018 16:00

stargroover
Get rid of the pit,and make it all general admission.

If you don’t mind me asking, how old are you?
Seems like a young person’s game.
Probably a mostly male crowd would hang for 24 hours in a mob.
I am speaking from the year 2018.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 22, 2018 16:11

To me , I don't care what the rest of the crowd are doing . As long as the Stones are making magic and I am rocking out who cares what other people are doing ? Really such nonsense as if the crowd will lessen my over all enjoyment of a wonderful evening of musical magic as only the Glimmer Twins will provide and that in a nutshell is why IMHO it is worth it whatever I personally pay to get Stoned with the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World .

Date: March 22, 2018 17:24

I think it's better for people who are advancing years or who might have health problems to be in the seated section.It's certainly much safer and comfortable there.
During the River Plate gigs I took a seat on the side to avoid the mayhem on the floor.But that was Argentina.
The British crowds should not be as crazy as the South American fans.But still you never know with the alcohol flowing etc.If your on the floor then you can always move position.
I was at Leeds Fest with my son in the scrum at the front and we got mowed down by surging crowds and folk in the mosh pit.If only Keef had been there to say "cool it you cats".

Date: March 22, 2018 17:25

Mid fifties by the way

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1759
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home