Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How`s your feeling now about A Bigger Bang?
Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: September 22, 2005 23:49

After a couple of weeks listening to the new cd, i think it`s a good album, not great as the great four, like there whas a comparissing before it even came out, but it`s just a good stones album, that`s fits in this time.
I hate to compare it with the oldies, but i`m aware that with the stones, you do it automatic.
My opinion about the album that it`s not boring to listen to it, and the band play`s tight as they get.

Re: How`s your feeling now about A Bigger Bang?
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 23, 2005 00:00

not comparing it to the "big 4"....still sounds great to me....every track has its own flavor....me thinks its a keeper...

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: September 23, 2005 00:08

I think it is a great one, ok comparing it to Beggars, LIB, Sticky, Exile or Some Girls it is not even close but I think it is up there with Tattoo You and Undercover(which I think is reall underrated) it is better then Dirty Work, ten times better then Steel Wheels (which is utter crap in my opinion) and allot better then Voodoo and Bridges.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 23, 2005 00:13

don't think my opinion has changed much. too many songs - but the ones that i like are comparable to B2B and VL in quality, better than SW or DW....worse than all the rest. about what i expected, in other words.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: September 23, 2005 00:17

Put ABB in your 5 disc changer with 4 other great Stones (or other farorite bands) albums. Hit random.
Enjoy partying all night long. I did this at a stag the other night and enjoyed every time ABB came on, never wanting to skip one song. The album is great and has staying power with a few potential classics down the road.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 23, 2005 00:50

it sure aint the big 4, but it holds up as strong as anything they have ever besides the big 4, and that SAYS A LOT

Date: September 23, 2005 01:00

If it were a band who had no history it would have a lot of plus points, but compared with thier early stuff it is mostly PAP, albieit likeable PAP!

Posted by: dj ()
Date: September 23, 2005 01:06

Markdog, I did something similar in anticipation of going to see the Giant Stadium show. I have about 600 Stones songs in my iPod. (more than half are boots). So, I excluded the boots and put my entire studio version collection (about 240 songs) on shuffle. You would be amazed at how well the ABB songs hold up. Also, it's very cool to hear (for example) SSMC sandwiched between Gimme Shelter and Let's Spend the Night Together.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 23, 2005 01:31

it's probably as good as undercover(underrated i think) better than anything newer than that. hopefully more staying power.

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: September 23, 2005 01:41

So what are the big 4? Sticky Fingers, Beggars, Exile and Let it Bleed? Some Girls should be one. I guess it is you could class them all into like 4 categories...in my opinion it would go like...
Class 1. Let it Bleed, Exile, Sticky Fingers, Some Girls and Bridges to Babylon (don't yell at me, i personally think it's a perfect album and the best since Some Girls).
Class 2. Tattoo You, Beggar's Banquet, Voodoo Lounge, A Bigger Bang, IORR, Goat's Head Soup
Class 3. Steel Wheels, Black and Blue, Emotional Rescue, Undercover
Class 4. Dirty Work, Satanic Majestie's

i know i left out things from the early to mid-60s but i'm just not sure where to put them i guess.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: September 23, 2005 01:51

I like this ALOT BETTER than Voodoo Lounge, Dirty Work, Black and Blue and Undercover! I think it's AS GOOD AS Tattoo You! I love Steel Wheels, unlike alot of you but this cd holds together very well and I'll no doubt end up loving it even more in a few weeks! I have played it every day since it's release, not all the way through but I play my favorites! The weakest song IMO is DRIVE TOO FAST and my favorites are LAUGH, I NEARLY DIED, BIGGEST MISTAKE, BACK OF MY HAND , RAIN FALL DOWN, SWEET NEO Con and even Keith's THIS PLACE IS EMPTY( except for the stupid line about the breasts!). I've grown to like Rough Justice and I always loved STREETS OF LOVE in spite of the overall negative opinion.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 23, 2005 01:52

Still love it

Still will in several years time, too.

'Nuff said.

Posted by: RockR ()
Date: September 23, 2005 02:00

It continues to sound like their best album since 'Some Girls'. And I continue to be dimly hopeful that more of it gets played live.

Posted by: bianca ()
Date: September 23, 2005 02:14

Come on people- Yes it isn't the big 4, but it is very, VERY close.

Hands down the best since Some Girls.

Date: September 23, 2005 02:44

It's the first CD of theirs ever that I don't have a song favorite that rates a personal perfect 10. Yet it is a very good album and they ought to be proud of it. Especially in that they didn't rely on session musicians for padding. Great work.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 23, 2005 03:29

Great album (great tour too!)

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: September 23, 2005 03:41

i feel its awesome.better than somegirls,best since its only rock n roll,in time you'll see,it will go down as a classi album.bridges could of been much better had the stones let don was produce the whole album.

john scialfa

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 23, 2005 04:11

it was th 5.th of september..tz..tz..tz
the day I'll allways remember..tz..tz..tz

This Album really rocks me.
I've been listening to it every day, at least once.
and it still grows.

Each day I wake up, I have a different tune of that album buzzin' and hummin' in my head - and I like it. It's nice to wake up like that^^

I also have loads of Gigabytes of Stones on my pc - but I'm stuck with ABB, an' thats allright.
markdog & dj; I'll join you in a month or six

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 23, 2005 04:30

After weeks of repeated listening, nothing could change my opinion that ABB is a great album. It stands on it's own, no need comparing it with older albums. But still three tracks don't work for me: Dangerous Beauty, Sweet Neo Con and Infamy. I'll doubt they ever will! Three times thumbs down - that means thirteen thumbs up - not bad, isn't it?

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: September 23, 2005 04:44

jumpinjackgreg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So what are the big 4? Sticky Fingers, Beggars,
> Exile and Let it Bleed? Some Girls should be one.
> I guess it is you could class them all into like 4
> categories...in my opinion it would go like...
> Class 1. Let it Bleed, Exile, Sticky Fingers, Some
> Girls and Bridges to Babylon (don't yell at me, i
> personally think it's a perfect album and the best
> since Some Girls).
> Class 2. Tattoo You, Beggar's Banquet, Voodoo
> Lounge, A Bigger Bang, IORR, Goat's Head Soup
> Class 3. Steel Wheels, Black and Blue, Emotional
> Rescue, Undercover
> Class 4. Dirty Work, Satanic Majestie's
>
> i know i left out things from the early to mid-60s
> but i'm just not sure where to put them i guess.

I like this way of categorizing. And I'd agree with your ranking except I'd swap Beggars Banquet and Bridges...actually just drop Bridges to Class 3. I may have to work that list up a bit more. :-)

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 23, 2005 04:46

>>that means thirteen thumbs up - not bad, isn't it?<<

yeah, thats good.
but as I said, this album grows.

first I really disliked (hated) Streets o L. but then I heard it on the radio whilst driving a van on the motorway at fullmoon - thats when it got me.

Neo con - was played in my favorite pub (hangout) and lots of people just had a good time, not even knowing what was beeing played. well ,halveway got me.

Dangerous Beauty - it's not fish nor meat - but its in the real news. dunno, kinda lame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-23 04:50 by open-g.

Posted by: deg01 ()
Date: September 23, 2005 10:25

OK, I'll have some fun with this:

Class 1:
- Beggar's Banquet
- Let It Bleed
- Sticky Fingers
- Exile On Main Street
- Some Girls
- Tattoo you

Class 2:
- Emotional Rescue
- Undercover
- Still Life
- 4 new songs on 40 Licks 2 CD set: Don't Stop, Keys To Your Love, Stealing My Heart, Losing My Touch
- Love You Live
- Stripped

Class 3:
- Black and Blue
- A Bigger Bang
- Bridges To Babylon
- Steel Wheels
- Voodoo Lounge
- Goat's Head Soup
- It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
- No Security

Class 4:
- Dirty Work
- Satanic Majesties Request

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-23 10:27 by deg01.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 23, 2005 10:44

A great achievement, just behind the big Four, but equal to Aftermath and above Some Girls.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 23, 2005 10:50

Not a bad Jagger album at all - one of his best - well, his second best. He just chose the right people to work with this time.

But as a Stones' record? Forget it!

Both DW and SW have better songs and gutsier guitars.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: September 23, 2005 10:58

It´s a very good album - i think it´s hard to compare it to stones records made long, long years ago....but comparing it to the most recent ones (say, beginning with SW 1989), i tend to say i like it most, though VL or SW is not far behind (only taking the studio records in consideration). Anyhwo, i consider it a lot stronger than the more experimental B2B (but i admit it´s a question of taste). And in comparison to the 4 new songs on FL its much better!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 23, 2005 11:04

I love it. I think it's alongside Out Of Our Heads and Black And Blue, and I rate them right after the big 4. So it could be their 5th best album IMO, but it's still too early to tell.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: John sassian ()
Date: September 23, 2005 11:10

I like it, top 10 album.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: September 23, 2005 14:20

i really like most of the songs

she saw me comming
back of my hand
laugh i nearly died
dangerous beauty
rough justice
oh no not you again

are my fav tracks

10/10

Posted by: Rommick ()
Date: September 23, 2005 16:46

ABB is logical continuation of BB and VL. Most of solos and drums I hear at the last 2 albums. Think that songs were invented in that times... Not "best since..." but another one stone in my collection. I like it.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: September 23, 2005 17:24

Rommick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ABB is logical continuation of BB and VL. Most of
> solos and drums I hear at the last 2 albums. Think
> that songs were invented in that times... Not
> "best since..." but another one stone in my
> collection. I like it.

A balanced comment. ABB is not the next Exile, Beggar's, Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed, nor Sticky Fingers...How could it be? Mick Jagger himself will attest to that.

ABB is a very good Stones release. Original material by guys in their fifties and sixties! Now I don't know about anyone else, but my grandfather never sounded so good, nor did he ever sell out a concert venue, or any venue for that matter.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1820
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home