Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Wayne Perkins with The Stones
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 16, 2019 00:46

….. I'm glad Beck didn't join The Stones …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 16, 2019 00:59

wonderboy

One thing I have read is that while it might have been midnight before the Stones all turned up together, they would still put 8 hours of music on tape and come away with something good.

My how times have changed...these days they can put about 8 minutes of music on tape maybe twice a year, and only some of it is good.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 16, 2019 01:04

Hairball
wonderboy

One thing I have read is that while it might have been midnight before the Stones all turned up together, they would still put 8 hours of music on tape and come away with something good.

My how times have changed...these days they can put about 8 minutes of music on tape maybe twice a year, and only some of it is good.

We know more about sessions they did 50 years ago than what they are doing right now. Their security and control over news is incredible.

Date: July 16, 2019 08:07

powerage78
Keith wanted a guitarist not able to upstage him.
Success.

LOL, I don't think that bothered him at all smiling smiley

Because no one upstaged Keith at what he did, or had a remotely similar playing style at that time.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 16, 2019 10:47

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Jeff Beck w/ Mick Jagger - "Shine a Light" 1987

at The Country Club, Reseda, California

with Doug Wimbish on bass, Terry Bozzio on drums and Phil Ashley on keyboards.

20 October, 1987

That's the fake Beck/Jagger tape that was bought and released by TSP in the early 90's. "Funny" to see it's still polluting the collectors' waters after almost 30 years. This fake will never die... grinning smiley

The real 1987 Country Club tape (a so-so aud recording bought by VGP) includes stuff like "Sex Machine" and "Foxy Lady".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-16 10:48 by dcba.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 11:01

Do not pretend not to understand DP smiling smiley
Speaking solo, of course Mick Taylor did upstage him.
Intolerable.
Light should only shine Keith.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Success.

Because no one upstaged Keith at what he did, or had a remotely similar playing style at that time.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: July 16, 2019 13:12

powerage78
Intolerable.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Success.

That's just one part of guitar playing. And not even Taylor upstaged Keith on his style of soloing. Yes to both styles, I'd say. It never was a competition.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 14:50

For Keith sure it was.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Intolerable.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Success.

That's just one part of guitar playing. And not even Taylor upstaged Keith on his style of soloing. Yes to both styles, I'd say. It never was a competition.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: July 16, 2019 15:15

Rip This
Can't imagine anyone else but RW in the Stones.

I agree.

Ron Wood was the best choice. Thanks to him, the Stones are still on.

If it were someone else to replace Mick Taylor, I think the Stones would have split.

Ron Wood is not only a Rolling Stones (and a great artist) he's also the cement for the Stones. He keeps a good atmosphere and he fits extremely well with the band.

Ron Wood was born to be a Rolling Stones.

Date: July 16, 2019 15:45

del.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-16 16:02 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 16:00

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Intolerable.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Success.

Oh come on! To the casual music fan, a face-melting guitar solo is ALWAYS going to overshadow the rhythm player.

For instance, die-hard music fans may know that Malcolm Young was actually the driving force behind AC/DC and the superior rhythm player, but Angus running around and soloing is what the vast majority of people envision when they think of the band.

Date: July 16, 2019 16:02

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

Is it really important, Bård? In the end the fun-factor is all that matters to me, be it Richards, Taylor, George Benson, Django, Segovia or Fernando Sor. smiling smiley

Segovia, variations on a theme of Mozart.

Date: July 16, 2019 16:42

TheflyingDutchman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

Is it really important, Bård? In the end the fun-factor is all that matters to me, be it Richards, Taylor, George Benson, Django, Segovia or Fernando Sor. smiling smiley

Segovia, variations on a theme of Mozart.

That's why I say "yes to both" smiling smiley

Date: July 16, 2019 16:45

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Intolerable.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Success.

Oh come on! To the casual music fan, a face-melting guitar solo is ALWAYS going to overshadow the rhythm player.

For instance, die-hard music fans may know that Malcolm Young was actually the driving force behind AC/DC and the superior rhythm player, but Angus running around and soloing is what the vast majority of people envision when they think of the band.

Is really a 10-15 second solo making or breaking a 5 minute classic song? Keith was never a traditional rhythm player like Malcolm, though. And Angus has 5 cool solo licks he plays again and again smiling smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 17:10

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Intolerable.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Success.

Is really a 10-15 second solo making or breaking a 5 minute classic song? Keith was never a traditional rhythm player like Malcolm, though. And Angus has 5 cool solo licks he plays again and again smiling smiley
The delineation between lead and rhythm was much more pronounced during the Taylor era.

A flashy lead guitarist will always take the focus off the rhythm player. Only hardcore music fans give much thought to rhythm sections unless they're really showy.

Even though MT had a very retiring onstage presence, you can bet that all eyes were on him when he ripped off extended solos on Shelter and Rambler.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 16, 2019 18:05

yne Perkins with The Stones new
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 16, 2019 10:47

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Jeff Beck w/ Mick Jagger - "Shine a Light" 1987

at The Country Club, Reseda, California

with Doug Wimbish on bass, Terry Bozzio on drums and Phil Ashley on keyboards.

20 October, 1987

That's the fake Beck/Jagger tape that was bought and released by TSP in the early 90's. "Funny" to see it's still polluting the collectors' waters after almost 30 years. This fake will never die...

The real 1987 Country Club tape (a so-so aud recording bought by VGP) includes stuff like "Sex Machine" and "Foxy Lady".

dcba - thanks I kind of took a chance before I posted and found - one comment the guy who posted it says it was real and some say it was not jagger - anyway if Shine a Light pops up on you tube always worth the time to listen

anything with stones content and rare is what I look at these days .

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1416
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home