Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Wayne Perkins with The Stones
Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 14, 2019 18:27

And since ?
1982 !

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
With the Faces yes no doubt.
With the Faces.

Don't forget 1975-1982.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 14, 2019 18:37

I have been listening to the Winos and watching the live shows on DVD and Keith was really playing at a high level with Waddy Wachtel and really focused on his rhythm and at the same time having a lot of fun. It would of been real interesting if Waddy got the gig with the stones. Keith is amazing on Something Else from the boston show. His rhythm and angular soloing were some of his best live playing.

Keith with Brian
Keith with Taylor
Keith with Ronnie
Keith with Waddy - For that short period of time those live shows were amazing.

Date: July 14, 2019 18:50

Yeah.
Happy is purely awesome too.
Not to compare with the versions since 2007 !

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 14, 2019 20:49

In defense of Ronnie Wood, hats off for his longevity, survival, and his lighthearted goofiness.
As for his actual guitar playing, he was truly great/unique with the Faces.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 14, 2019 21:33

DandelionPowderman
We know they both stayed within the bluesrock-genre, in fact even more so than the Stones. So I can't see why they would have gotten bored musically?

IMO, none of these competent guitarists had the uniqueness or the signature sound that the guitarists in The Stones had. Nowhere near that.

That said, Mandel plays on one of my fave albums, Never Get Out Of These Blues Alive by John Lee Hooker and Canned Heat.

IMO, Harvey Mandel is unique and has a signature sound. He had a unique and signature sound dating back to playing with Charlie Musselwhite and the Southside Band. He pops on every track I’ve heard him with his signature tone. I don’t think you can get much more unique or signature than Harvey Mandel. IMO.

Date: July 14, 2019 21:59

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
We know they both stayed within the bluesrock-genre, in fact even more so than the Stones. So I can't see why they would have gotten bored musically?

IMO, none of these competent guitarists had the uniqueness or the signature sound that the guitarists in The Stones had. Nowhere near that.

That said, Mandel plays on one of my fave albums, Never Get Out Of These Blues Alive by John Lee Hooker and Canned Heat.

IMO, Harvey Mandel is unique and has a signature sound. He had a unique and signature sound dating back to playing with Charlie Musselwhite and the Southside Band. He pops on every track I’ve heard him with his signature tone. I don’t think you can get much more unique or signature than Harvey Mandel. IMO.

I'm of the same opinion.

Mandel's playing on Hot Stuff is amazing and has always astounded me with it's unique greatness.
Going back to the Charlie Musslewhite Band's Standback! album, this one is a tour de force.

Charlie Musselwhite w/Harvey Mandell - 4 P.M.

I'd go so far to say the entire Musslewhite album stands alongside the Bluesbreakers w/Clapton album as well as early Peter Green due in large part to Mandells playing- not to mention Musslewhite's virtuoso harp playing.
In fact it might rise above those others - there's an absolute pureness that speaks 100% blues. And that guitar playing....thumbs up

Charley Musselwhite's Southside Band - Stand Back!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 15, 2019 01:01

ROCKMAN

Date: July 15, 2019 01:07

Well there ya go Keith didn't want him …
But somebody'll find a way ta lay the blame on Micko …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 15, 2019 01:10

What about Howie Mandel? Are they related?

Date: July 15, 2019 01:16

Chris Fountain
What about Howie Mandel? Are they related?

Lol.... could be? grinning smiley

He used to be so funny when he was a standup comic back in the day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-15 01:18 by Hairball.

Date: July 15, 2019 01:17

Probably best ta contact Ancestry.com …………...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: July 15, 2019 01:49

for me Ronnie is the best 'glue' the stones ever had, and one of the best 'glue' players. he gells the band, makes the band, but doesn't lead the band. Every other Stones member past and present has lead the band at some point wether live performance or on record. It is this that makes him so valuable. he sticks the band together.

Taylor (esp live) pulls the band up and elevates it to heights neither achieve in isolation, some would say

Jones - likewise but for differing reasons, and whilst his flame was bright, in the end it went out and he became carried by the band

Wyman - 'live' what a player - him charlie and keith created the stones sound, some would say its never come back since he left (not always allowed on the recorded product - for whatever reason - edit)

Keith - the musical DNA of the stones, always captivating

Charlie - Bill and charlie = great great rhythm section live, him and (often on record) Keith great great

Mick Jagger - Some would say the ultimate front man

All of them have had periods of stand out genius, but since joining Ronnie to me has been the glue that allows the others to have their spot. He's not the best lead gtrst they had, he's also no Keith, but he's always been a vvv good foil. In their indian summer he's been playing consistently well, quite often carrying keith (post fall from tree period for sure).

However, when Taylor came back you realised that na he aint the player of Taylor, nor of Keith BUT he's damn important to the band, probably in a live setting to Jagger more so than Keith is now adays. this saddens me to type it

long write up but hope you get my sentiment

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-15 01:53 by Captainchaos.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: July 15, 2019 04:30

It has been rumoured that this is Wayne Perkins. He does a lot of Stones tunes smileys with beer

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 15, 2019 18:20

[www.youtube.com]

Jeff Beck -Talks about The Yardbirds, Rolling Stones,Rod Stewart & more - Radio Broadcast 10/03/2014

Starts at 3.50 mark about stones - Jeff basically said playing 3 chords was not challenging and that was why Taylor left in addition to the writing credits and addiction to heroin.

Date: July 15, 2019 18:33

The Stones would have loved to have him on guitar as replacement for Taylor, according to Jeff in this interview. eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-15 18:45 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: July 15, 2019 18:53

[www.youtube.com]

Mick Jagger & Jeff Beck Perform "Commit a Crime" at In Performance

Would of been interesting if Jeff joined and how he and Keith would WEAVE(LOL)

Date: July 15, 2019 18:57

[www.youtube.com]

MICK TAYLOR - ALABAMA

Since Wayne was from alabama here is hello from Mick Taylor

Date: July 15, 2019 19:24

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Would of been interesting if Jeff joined and how he and Keith would WEAVE(LOL)

Forget it. winking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 15, 2019 19:40

Beck said years later the rehearsal was an ordeal, like "they" [= Keith] spent hours working on a single guitar riff while Beck could have finished three songs.

Now... didn't Keith willingly sabotage the rehearsal to make sure Beck (or other hot-tempered axeman) would split so Honest Ron could eventually get the job? Keith can be a mean stubborn b@stard at times!

Date: July 15, 2019 20:38

[www.djnoble.demon.co.uk]

From Jeff Beck Interview

'When Mick Taylor left the Stones I was one of many potential guitarists over in Holland and I didn't really like the thought that I was amongst that - I thought either they want me or they don't, and they only got all the others there in case I turned it down, which I did do. On the phone it sounded like the most incredible offer but being there and getting a taste of the lifestyle was something else. One of them would turn up and disappear, someone else would turn up and go off, then Mick would appear and so on. It would be midnight before they were all in the same place at the same time - by that time I could have recorded an album!'

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 15, 2019 20:53

It has been rumoured that this is Wayne Perkins. He does a lot of Stones tunes

Good player but his hands look too young.

Date: July 15, 2019 20:55

Ive seen Beck in Utrecht sowewhere in the 8-tees with Tony Hymas and drummer Terry Bozzio.They sounded like a 6-men band. smoking smiley

Date: July 15, 2019 20:59

Keith wanted a guitarist not able to upstage him.
Success.

Date: July 15, 2019 21:43

[www.youtube.com]

Jeff Beck w/ Mick Jagger - "Shine a Light" 1987

at The Country Club, Reseda, California

with Doug Wimbish on bass, Terry Bozzio on drums and Phil Ashley on keyboards.

20 October, 1987

Date: July 15, 2019 23:00

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

20 October, 1987

I had hoped for 2 guitar solos. Anyway, sensitive approach.thumbs up

Date: July 15, 2019 23:15

by: TheflyingDutchman ()
Date: July 15, 2019 23:00

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

20 October, 1987

I had hoped for 2 guitar solos. Anyway, sensitive approach.

Yes I was waiting for that also but Jeff approach was more laid back in a supportive kind of way. I remember an interview way back when Mick Jagger was mentioning to Jeff Beck about how the song needs a BRIDGE - amazing how Mick can mention that to one of the greatest studio musicians - Jeff probably thinks the bridge section in any song is for his solo magic(LOL)

Date: July 15, 2019 23:20

ROCKMAN

Date: July 15, 2019 23:38

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

20 October, 1987

Never heard this before. I think that you have a good Jagger imitator here and I don't think that this sounds like Mick Jagger - can someone confirm?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 00:00

Agree with people in the comments...that is NOT Mick.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 16, 2019 00:42

OpenG
[www.djnoble.demon.co.uk]

From Jeff Beck Interview

'When Mick Taylor left the Stones I was one of many potential guitarists over in Holland and I didn't really like the thought that I was amongst that - I thought either they want me or they don't, and they only got all the others there in case I turned it down, which I did do. On the phone it sounded like the most incredible offer but being there and getting a taste of the lifestyle was something else. One of them would turn up and disappear, someone else would turn up and go off, then Mick would appear and so on. It would be midnight before they were all in the same place at the same time - by that time I could have recorded an album!'

Yeah, sure, Keith was always late and Keith would play the same riff for hours and Keith may or may not have been taking mysterious bathroom breaks,but he still wrote 50 songs better than Jeff Beck's best (meaning no dis-respect to Beck, he was great at what he did).
One thing I have read is that while it might have been midnight before the Stones all turned up together, they would still put 8 hours of music on tape and come away with something good.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1419
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home