Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Wayne Perkins with The Stones
Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: July 13, 2019 23:52

catch a fire as well.

Date: July 13, 2019 23:55

That's Perkins. Great album.

Date: July 14, 2019 00:06

DandelionPowderman
We know they both stayed within the bluesrock-genre, in fact even more so than the Stones. So I can't see why they would have gotten bored musically?

IMO, none of these competent guitarists had the uniqueness or the signature sound

Might be true, but I was referring to the change of lead guitarists. The basics, Keith, Bill, Jagger and Charlie has always been there. Besides, players like Perkins and Mandel had enough self-esteem to move on. They believed in their own signature sound/ideas, if we respect that. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-14 00:07 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 14, 2019 00:25

Based on what Mandel and Perkins did contribute, I think the Stones could have been much more exciting, and the quality of their studio output wouldn't have died as early as it did .
With Ronnie, you have one great album with Some Girls, a mixed bag with Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You (which was a stew of guitar players) and a couple of decent tunes on Undercover.
After that, it was sort of downhill (not all Ronnie's fault), but there's nothing really "signature" Ronnie that stands out - probably because he really doesn't have a "signature" sound.

Date: July 14, 2019 00:25

Keith was the Stones's lead guitarist in their prime years, the 60s smiling smiley

Move on? They both wanted to join, as far as I know?

Date: July 14, 2019 00:29

DandelionPowderman

Move on? They both wanted to join, as far as I know?

Yes, but I wanted them to get kicked out after 5 years, different lead players. smoking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 14, 2019 04:12

Hairball
Based on what Mandel and Perkins did contribute, I think the Stones could have been much more exciting, and the quality of their studio output wouldn't have died as early as it did .
With Ronnie, you have one great album with Some Girls, a mixed bag with Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You (which was a stew of guitar players) and a couple of decent tunes on Undercover.
After that, it was sort of downhill (not all Ronnie's fault), but there's nothing really "signature" Ronnie that stands out - probably because he really doesn't have a "signature" sound.

Eh, that could be debated to a point. He does happen to play a lot like Keith in some ways. His work on SOME GIRLS and EMOTIONAL RESCUE is outstanding.

Regardless of that, it seems he got shut down. He was on what, half of TATTOO YOU, and then you get to UNDERCOVER, it's difficult to tell what all he did there outside of the lead melody guitar on UOTN. Then there's just an outright mess of bullshit - Ronnie says 'Oh, the songwriting in the 80s was a bit naff, you can tell when they were off because I get credit on' or whatever - this bit, coming from someone that plays drums on TWO tracks on their biggest pile of shit in history... which leads us to... STEEL WHEELS onward, for which I can't recall anything he did, and why would I, it's all very sterile... aside from his slide playing on Out Of Tears (which is outstanding) and Rough Justice... he's been put on mute, yet the last 7 years or so apparently does much more work than anything before live.

Date: July 14, 2019 10:08

At least Ronnie got to play the Terrifying-esque riff on Anybody Seen My Baby grinning smiley

His dobro playing on Already Over Me deserves a mention, though.

His slide playing on Rough Justice is awful, imo confused smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 14, 2019 11:23

Ronnie was the perfect person for the job,they made the right choice,he’s probably the most underrated musician to ever pick up an instrument.

First off, he was a Stone before anyone,even them ,knew it.

Look at Its only rock and roll and it’s companion album I’ve got my own album to do-Mick and Ronnie wrote two songs together-I can Feel the fire and it’s only rock and roll.
They decided to split them,Mick took one and Ronnie took the other. Not only was he the best and only choice it would’ve been way,way better had he joined earlier.
Had he been in the band at the time IORR would’ve included not only I can feel the fire but Keith’s sure the one you need making it a superior album to the one we got.
Mendel and Perkins were just guitar players,a dime a dozen skilled guys with a background in the blues,Not game changers.
Ronnie has his own era in the Stones,you just cannot take that away from the man.
There is a clear definition,the 60s Brian era,the Mick Taylor years and then the Ronnie era.the rhythm machine the band became with those two meshed guitars working over Bill and Charlie is as good as the band has ever been.

You guys focus on the records but this is a live band,the records are secondary.
75,78,81,82,89,90,94,95 and on and on.Ronnie showed up and played,he didn’t OD or leave to find his own musical path or some shit,he gutted it out.
Also his attitude and humor kept Mick and Keith from killing each other over the years which is no small feat.
He’s an easy guy to take for granted but they made the right choice.

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: July 14, 2019 11:55

Ronnie was much better guitarist with Faces than he has been with the Stones.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 14, 2019 12:04

Has Ronnie ever appeared in a guitarists ranking ? (aka Rolling Stone mag for example).

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-14 12:23 by powerage78.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 14, 2019 12:16

lem motlow
Ronnie has his own era in the Stones,you just cannot take that away from the man. There is a clear definition,the 60s Brian era,the Mick Taylor years and then the Ronnie era. The rhythm machine the band became with those two meshed guitars working over Bill and Charlie is as good as the band has been.

I have a lot of love for Ronnie but to say the band with him "is as good as it's ever been" is just absurd IMO. And as good (or great) as the Stones can be live with a few exceptions I feel they were usually a better band in the studio. I can't think of a single track from EOMS or Sticky Fingers or even Some Girls that (to my ears) sounds better live.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-14 13:09 by TornAndFried.

Date: July 14, 2019 12:22

powerage78
Does Ronnie already appear in a guitarists ranking ? (Aka Rolling Stone mag for example).

Already? He's been a pro for "only" 53 years grinning smiley

And it's always Keith who tops these rankings among the Stones's guitarists. It still remains so.

Date: July 14, 2019 12:36

Yes DP, sorry "ever" instead of "already".grinning smiley

Anyway, Ronnie is very rarely cited as a reference by other musicians, like can be Clapton, Keith, Jimmy Page, Angus or Malcolm Young, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Pete Townshend...

Date: July 14, 2019 12:37

It's impossible on IORR.org to argue about the role of a different lead player and what it would have done to the overall sound of the Stones, without people emphasising how great Keith,Wood, Jones or Taylor was. A pity really.

Date: July 14, 2019 12:53

quote=DandelionPowderman]
powerage78
Does Ronnie already appear in a guitarists ranking ? (Aka Rolling Stone mag for example).

And it's always Keith who tops these rankings among the Stones's guitarists. It still remains so.[/quote]

Date: July 14, 2019 13:00

powerage78

powerage78

And it's always Keith who tops these rankings among the Stones's guitarists. It still remains so.
[/quote]

Scroll to the top 5...

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 14, 2019 13:06

rbp
Ronnie was much better guitarist with Faces than he has been with the Stones.

I share the same thoughts. I heard Mandolin Wind just this past Friday and was taken away - I guess because I had not heard it in years.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 14, 2019 13:12

To me Keith is no 2 after Jimi. Taylor is no 3 or maybe 5 with Cooder as no 7 perhaps. John Lennon is high on my list for his unique style on the Plastic ono band record and for what he played during the Beatles. Ronnie? He’s not one of the greats yet he has contributed greatly to one of the best and sometimes worst guitar duos ever (with Keith in -78 to -81). Brian was great in the beginning. He should have continued. I wiuld have loved to hear Perkins and Mandel work with the Stones.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 14, 2019 13:30

Joey Long's playin on those early
Sonny Fisher records bites like a cut snake ….. Rockin' Daddy

ROCKMAN

Date: July 14, 2019 13:35

One writes and records classic stuff like Stay With Me and Ooh La La and is not one of the greats? Can't believe what I'm reading here sometimes.

I guess you're blinded by the brilliance of Taylor's "classics", like Broken Hands... smoking smiley

Date: July 14, 2019 14:06

Ronnie is nowhere...drinking smiley

DandelionPowderman
powerage78

powerage78

Scroll to the top 5...[/quote]

Date: July 14, 2019 14:15

These lists are crap anyway. Jerry Garcia is placed well ahead of Clarence White, for instance grinning smiley

Date: July 14, 2019 14:29

Yes, and Angus should be N°1 grinning smiley

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: July 14, 2019 15:01

powerage78
Anyway, Ronnie is very rarely cited as a reference by other musicians, like can be Clapton, Keith, Jimmy Page, Angus or Malcolm Young, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Pete Townshend...

Joe Satriani named Ronnie as one of ''10 guitarists that blew my mind''. Keith was also in his list, not Mick Taylor though. [www.musicradar.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 14, 2019 15:13

yeababyyea
powerage78

Joe Satriani named Ronnie as one of ''10 guitarists that blew my mind''. Keith was also in his list, not Mick Taylor though. [www.musicradar.com]
Satriani praising Ron Wood is not something I EVER thought I'd read!

“Being a punky guitar player from New York, I was transfixed by the effect of Ron Wood on the variety of bands he’s been in and eventually the ‘Stones.

"He’s been able to be so well integrated into the changing attitudes of all the bands that he was in"

“He’s been able to be so well integrated into the changing attitudes of all the bands that he was in, but at the same time he’s created a sound that people know as ‘The Ron Wood’ sound.

“How many people can you say that about? That have created an attitude and a sound that almost supersedes what you’re going to say. If you mention Holdsworth, you might say ‘legato’, or Eddie Van Halen, ‘tapping’, but with Ron Wood you don’t get down to a particular physical move. It’s the whole approach.

“He always looks good, too! How does he still look like the cool guitar player that you want to emulate? There should be an award for that and he should win it!”

Date: July 14, 2019 15:18

The miraculous exception that proves the rule.

keefriff99
yeababyyea
powerage78

“Being a punky guitar player from New York, I was transfixed by the effect of Ron Wood on the variety of bands he’s been in and eventually the ‘Stones.

"He’s been able to be so well integrated into the changing attitudes of all the bands that he was in"

“He’s been able to be so well integrated into the changing attitudes of all the bands that he was in, but at the same time he’s created a sound that people know as ‘The Ron Wood’ sound.

“How many people can you say that about? That have created an attitude and a sound that almost supersedes what you’re going to say. If you mention Holdsworth, you might say ‘legato’, or Eddie Van Halen, ‘tapping’, but with Ron Wood you don’t get down to a particular physical move. It’s the whole approach.

“He always looks good, too! How does he still look like the cool guitar player that you want to emulate? There should be an award for that and he should win it!”

Date: July 14, 2019 16:03

powerage78
The miraculous exception that proves the rule.

keefriff99
yeababyyea
powerage78

For you it's miraculous.

I was on tour with Tracii Guns and Doni Gray (played on Izzy's first album). One night I was DJ-ing in the tour bus, playing Faces and the Stones. They said the same as Satriani did. I guess it's a thing a certain generation musician notices and appreciate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-14 17:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 14, 2019 16:10

With the Faces yes no doubt.
With the Faces.

Date: July 14, 2019 17:22

powerage78
With the Faces yes no doubt.
With the Faces.

Don't forget 1975-1982.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1820
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home