Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Wayne Perkins with The Stones
Date: March 17, 2018 22:35

Do any photos exist of Wayne with The Rolling Stones? I know his sessions with them were rather brief, but I feel there has to be at least some of pictures of him with the band.

Re: Wayne Perkins with The Stones
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 17, 2018 23:27

Nice story on Wayne Perkins:

Rolling Stones, Bob Marley and me: Alabama guitarist's epic life

From link above:

"If Wayne Perkins had been born in 1951 in Birmingham, England instead of Birmingham, Alabama he might have become a Rolling Stone, after gifted soloist Mick Taylor quit the band in late-1974. He still came damn close. "We liked Perkins a lot," Stones guitarist Keith Richards wrote in his riveting 2010 memoir "Life." "He was a lovely player, same style, which wouldn't have ricocheted against what Mick Taylor was doing, very melodic, very well-played stuff." Another American, Harvey Mandel, also ended up on some "Black and Blue" tracks and was among other guitarists in the running. In the end, rooster-haired Ronnie Wood, from pub-rock band the Faces, won out. "It wasn't so much the playing, when it came down to it," Richards wrote in "Life." "It came down to the face that Ronnie was English! Well, it is an English band, although you might not think that now. And we all felt we should retain the nationality of the band at the time."

When he was working with The Stones, Perkins lived with Richards in a cottage behind The Wick, Wood's Richmond, England home. Richards' girlfriend, Italian actress/model Anita Pallenberg, and their two young children were there too. "It was a British family that I was becoming close to," Perkins says. "It was a bit of discovery period for me as well as being discovered. I was thinking more like a session player, but it was becoming clear to me that these guys were serious and wanted me as their new guitar player. It was a great situation to be thrust into."

If he didn't crash on the couch after playing guitar into the morning with Richards, Perkins slept on a single bed in the guest room he shared with Richards' hulking driver/body guard. "Keith and I got along great," Perkins says. "And I don't know if Mick (Jagger, Stones singer) approved of that because Keith and I were writing some things. That's a whole other monkey there. You're getting off into the bank account. [Laughs]" When they weren't making music or getting high in the cottage, Richards and Perkins would sometimes zoom off to clubs and music stores in a Ferrari or Bentley. Asked what it was like hitting the town with Keith Richards back then, Perkins laughs and says, "Oh man, we had a ball." Back then Perkins primarily played a black Gibson Les Paul Custom, but also had an old Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster at his disposal".

Date: March 18, 2018 00:42

Hairball
Nice story on Wayne Perkins:

Rolling Stones, Bob Marley and me: Alabama guitarist's epic life

From link above:

"If Wayne Perkins had been born in 1951 in Birmingham, England instead of Birmingham, Alabama he might have become a Rolling Stone, after gifted soloist Mick Taylor quit the band in late-1974. He still came damn close. "We liked Perkins a lot," Stones guitarist Keith Richards wrote in his riveting 2010 memoir "Life." "He was a lovely player, same style, which wouldn't have ricocheted against what Mick Taylor was doing, very melodic, very well-played stuff." Another American, Harvey Mandel, also ended up on some "Black and Blue" tracks and was among other guitarists in the running. In the end, rooster-haired Ronnie Wood, from pub-rock band the Faces, won out. "It wasn't so much the playing, when it came down to it," Richards wrote in "Life." "It came down to the face that Ronnie was English! Well, it is an English band, although you might not think that now. And we all felt we should retain the nationality of the band at the time."

When he was working with The Stones, Perkins lived with Richards in a cottage behind The Wick, Wood's Richmond, England home. Richards' girlfriend, Italian actress/model Anita Pallenberg, and their two young children were there too. "It was a British family that I was becoming close to," Perkins says. "It was a bit of discovery period for me as well as being discovered. I was thinking more like a session player, but it was becoming clear to me that these guys were serious and wanted me as their new guitar player. It was a great situation to be thrust into."

If he didn't crash on the couch after playing guitar into the morning with Richards, Perkins slept on a single bed in the guest room he shared with Richards' hulking driver/body guard. "Keith and I got along great," Perkins says. "And I don't know if Mick (Jagger, Stones singer) approved of that because Keith and I were writing some things. That's a whole other monkey there. You're getting off into the bank account. [Laughs]" When they weren't making music or getting high in the cottage, Richards and Perkins would sometimes zoom off to clubs and music stores in a Ferrari or Bentley. Asked what it was like hitting the town with Keith Richards back then, Perkins laughs and says, "Oh man, we had a ball." Back then Perkins primarily played a black Gibson Les Paul Custom, but also had an old Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster at his disposal".

Awesome! I've never seen that before, Thanks.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: March 18, 2018 07:30

I know he lives about 45 minutes from my home, met some of his family a few years ago at a wedding but lots touch to try to meet him....

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 18, 2018 07:44

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 12, 2019 23:18

I have been listening a lot to Wayne Perkins record Mendo Hotel - What a great blues record - The song Mendo Hotel has Wayne playing acoustic and the song has the same vibe as Memory Hotel - Wayne played acoustic on Memory Hotel and I wonder if Mendo Hotel was somewhat influenced by Memory Hotel.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 12, 2019 23:19

Fair chance …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 12, 2019 23:53

What's the timetable on this?
I thought the B&B sessions were entirely in Germany -- is that right?
Was he living with Keith before they went to Germany to record?

As far as pictures, I have read they were taking potential publicity shots of the guest guitarists, so that might exist somewhere.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 13, 2019 00:40

wonderboy
What's the timetable on this?
I thought the B&B sessions were entirely in Germany -- is that right?
Was he living with Keith before they went to Germany to record?

As far as pictures, I have read they were taking potential publicity shots of the guest guitarists, so that might exist somewhere.

They started in December of 1974 so maybe they were working on things, flying to Germany, back to Richmond, and then more work in 1975.

Date: July 13, 2019 01:45

If Keith had it his way he would have taken Perkins to replace Taylor. Jagger had a more commercial instinct and wanted to try someone else. That's how I remember the papers at the time.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 13, 2019 12:47

TheflyingDutchman
If Keith had it his way he would have taken Perkins to replace Taylor. Jagger had a more commercial instinct and wanted to try someone else. That's how I remember the papers at the time.

I think it's the complete opposite... Indeed "Jagger had a more commercial instinct and wanted to" keep going with a virtuoso à la Taylor (W.Perkins? Michael Schenker? Jesse Ed Davis?) because a very melodic axeman meant successful years. Look at the list of people "guesting" in Rotterdam early 75 : Jeff Beck, Rory Gallagher, Robert Johnson (the other one) grinning smiley All virtuosos...

But Keith imposed Ron Wood as he discovered he could "talk" with another guitarist again = he could weave with Ron, trade licks with him, sth he hadn't done since MT joined the band.

Upon learning the news of Wood's promotion Jagger probably thought : "God what a devolution! We're back to 64. 3 chords numbers and silly inept clumsy pentatonic soloing. I miss Taylor!" >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-13 12:58 by dcba.

Date: July 13, 2019 13:15

Perkins had been living with Richards far about a month and they got along very well. According to Keith he was ok both as a musician and as a colleague. Then Jagger suggested to try some more players, and when Wood came into the rehearsals, everything fell in it's place. "Must have been frustrating for Perkins", according to Keith, "He almost had gotten the job".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-13 13:18 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 13, 2019 15:56

Can't imagine anyone else but RW in the Stones.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: July 13, 2019 17:20

My recollection is that Ronnie was an "unofficial" Stone for the US 1975 tour. That Fall he toured with the Faces one last time. So when was he "officially" named as a Stone? Early '76 before the Euro tour? When he appeared on the cover of B&B that Spring?

Of course there was always the matter of when they actually started paying him as a full member of the band like Bill or Charlie.

HBK

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 13, 2019 17:36

I don't know if Wayne had the long experience of being a very active member of various famous rock and roll bands like Ronnie had by 1975. Ronnie had everything needed to be a Rolling stones and he confidently knew it at the time. Now we all know it too.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: July 13, 2019 17:46

No one really knew where music was fully heading in the mid 70s even the Stone's. The extended bluesy solos had been done extensively and was getting a bit tired I think. Mick and Keith worked closely with RW on his solo album and keith toured with the Faces in 74 so they knew Ronnie really well. He was the perfect fit and that is what mattered most. Perkins or Mandel wouldn't have lasted in the tight glimmer twins machine, they were better than the Stone's and as history sHows Ronnie was the perfect guy.

I would have loved to see how the songs turned out if ronnie joined after Brian Jones....he was at the top of his game, his cam you feel the fire guitar ing is some of my all time favourite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-13 17:47 by Markdog.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 13, 2019 17:52

HouseBoyKnows
My recollection is that Ronnie was an "unofficial" Stone for the US 1975 tour. That Fall he toured with the Faces one last time. So when was he "officially" named as a Stone? Early '76 before the Euro tour? When he appeared on the cover of B&B that Spring?

Of course there was always the matter of when they actually started paying him as a full member of the band like Bill or Charlie.

HBK

In the LA Forum '75 DVD Ronnie is introduced as a guest musician and as being "from the Faces pop group"!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 13, 2019 17:55

I can.
But it's far too late.

Rip This

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: July 13, 2019 17:56

"Faces pop group" ha ha - Mick at his best with that little dig.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 13, 2019 17:57

I agree Harvey Mandel or Wayne Perkins were probably not a good fit for the direction the Stones' music was heading by the late 70's. I just wish Ronnie had kept up with his guitar chops like he did when he first joined the band in 1975. His look and personality have added a lot to enhance their public image but his actual playing skills have gone downhill over the years and at best, could be described as erratic and are often secondary to his onstage antics.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-13 23:34 by TornAndFried.

Date: July 13, 2019 18:31

100 % agree.

TornAndFried
I agree Harvey Mandel or Wayne Perkins were probably not a good fit for the direction the Stones' music was heading by the late 70's. I just wish Ronnie had kept up with his guitar chops like he did when he first joined the band in 1975. His look and personality have added a lot to enhance their public image but his actual playing skills have gone downhill over the years and at best, could be called erratic, and are often secondary to his onstage antics.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 13, 2019 19:15

If Wayne joined up with stones he would of been a lot younger then the glimmers he would of been 24 in 1975( born in 1951) and younger then Mick Taylor. He may of had similar problems in dealing with the stones machine.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 13, 2019 19:23

Check out Charlie Musselwhite and the Southside Band for some straight Harvey Mandel FIRE!

I’m not as familiar with Perkins, but I’ve liked what I heard. Both seem to have had their hopes in a solo career, whereas Wood is just fine being Richards sideman and on-stage crony. I don’t think either would have lasted this long. The writing was on the wall that Stewart was over the Faces, so it was a wise decision by Wood to hitch his wagon to the Keef train.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 13, 2019 19:35

Rip This

thumbs up

Date: July 13, 2019 19:36

No one to shade.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 13, 2019 19:49

powerage78
100 % agree.

TornAndFried
I agree Harvey Mandel or Wayne Perkins were probably not a good fit for the direction the Stones' music was heading by the late 70's. I just wish Ronnie had kept up with his guitar chops like he did when he first joined the band in 1975. His look and personality have added a lot to enhance their public image but his actual playing skills have gone downhill over the years and at best, could be called erratic, and are often secondary to his onstage antics.
Very true.

I know it's fashionable to praise him nowadays, and I certainly did after the show I saw last Sunday, but really, he was mostly "competent", and occasionally "good".

That's hardly a ringing endorsement, but it's only in comparison to how far he'd fallen 10-15 years ago. It's nice to hear his rhythm playing up in the mix, and he can still play some fantastic leads, but far too often, his electric solos are still choppy and erratic, and barely fit the original spirit of the songs from a phrasing/timing perspective.

It's very frustrating because he's clearly happy and sober (hopefully), but although his playing is better, it's still not where it should be for a stadium act like the Stones.

Date: July 13, 2019 20:08

I have an affectionate but uncompromising opinion about Ronnie. But I want to keep on posting on Iorr. So...

And then debating in 2019, what's the point ? History has already remembered the legendary Stones years. These pages are already written, long time ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-13 20:12 by powerage78.

Date: July 13, 2019 21:08

Markdog
Perkins or Mandel wouldn't have lasted in the tight glimmer twins machine, they were better than the Stone's ...

Better I don't know. Probably Perkins and Mandel would have become bored. Anyway it would have been great if the Rolling Stones had a guitar player that could inspire them , play great with Keith, give the the Stones a boost for a couple of years, just like Taylor and Jones and Wood, and move on.Then the Stones would have been a more interesting and versatile band musically since, say 1980.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-13 21:38 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: July 13, 2019 22:40

thumbs up

Date: July 13, 2019 23:07

We know they both stayed within the bluesrock-genre, in fact even more so than the Stones. So I can't see why they would have gotten bored musically?

IMO, none of these competent guitarists had the uniqueness or the signature sound that the guitarists in The Stones had. Nowhere near that.

That said, Mandel plays on one of my fave albums, Never Get Out Of These Blues Alive by John Lee Hooker and Canned Heat.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home