Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Opening acts Stones tour 1981 in San Diego
Posted by: sailboat ()
Date: September 22, 2005 23:18

Could someone tell me what acts (I believe there were 2) opened for the Stones in Jack Murphy stadium in 1981? I believe it was the Tatto You tour. Was George Thorogood and the Destroyers one of them?

Re: Opening acts Stones tour 1981 in San Diego
Posted by: millerman ()
Date: September 22, 2005 23:28

It was George Thorogood and also the J.Geils Band

Posted by: heyheymymyitb ()
Date: September 22, 2005 23:32

Oh my goodness.. That must've been an unbelievable set of shows.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: March 30, 2009 03:26

Any pics around of the San Diego 81 show?

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: March 30, 2009 04:11

In L.A. on that tour, we got Prince as one of the openers.

And I saw Prince last night in L.A. Glad that the Stones audience didn't discourage him from staying in show business. He is an amazing talent.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 30, 2009 04:46

heyheymymyitb
Oh my goodness.. That must've been an unbelievable set of shows.

My thoughts exactly!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 30, 2009 06:29

I was there, it was the first night show of the tour for the Stones. I'll tell you more about it later.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 30, 2009 09:00

Supposedly Prince used a recording of being booed at one of those Stones concerts in his song "Hello".

Posted by: Mr.Ed ()
Date: March 30, 2009 10:20

millerman
It was George Thorogood and also the J.Geils Band

We had the same support acts in Rotterdam, 1982.
And that was really great.
Never seen (or heard) better support acts after that at a Stones gig.

Mr.Ed

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: March 30, 2009 14:29

Didn't Aztec Camera (or a band similar to that name) play on that tour, I'm sure I saw them, lots of dancing and dreadlocks!If I remenber rightly they had a couple of hit record at the time.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 30, 2009 18:49

Glam Descendant
Supposedly Prince used a recording of being booed at one of those Stones concerts in his song "Hello".

I was at the L.A. show and threw the remnant of my hotdog at the stage.eye popping smiley
But I have grown to like him a bit over the years, and like Monkeylad, I saw him live the other night.

THREE SHOWS IN ONE NIGHT!!

I saw the midnight show at Club Nokia...he played alot of new jazzy experimental stuff...another new direction for Prince.
I heard some of his diehard fans groaning and moaning though...they wanted the hits.

Posted by: django ()
Date: March 30, 2009 23:16

Here is an interesting and almost complete list of opening acts:

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: April 9, 2009 11:39

Is there a decent recording of this show in circulation?

I know a vinyl boot exists titled "Light Up The Town".

Posted by: ibsocal ()
Date: March 5, 2012 00:57

Britney
Any pics around of the San Diego 81 show?
I was there smoking smiley and paid around eye popping smiley20 bucks per ticket expensive at that time.it was a picture perfect Sunny San Diego Day and night.I also took a few pictures with my Kodak 110 pocket camera just dont know how to load them here.

Date: March 5, 2012 01:07

django
Here is an interesting and almost complete list of opening acts:

[www.timeisonourside.com]

I think confused smiley I remember a band called Shakin Street as the openning act.So you might want to add it to the list.tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: March 5, 2012 01:57

pgarof
Aztec Camera

thumbs up

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: March 5, 2012 02:20

Not San Diego but here's George Thorogood opening for The Stones Hampton Coliseum Dec 18 1981. Last song of his set.

Date: March 5, 2012 02:43

Cool video I remember that white guitar,any ideas on how to post a couple snapshots that i took in San Diego that day.I scanned them but am lost on how to postconfused smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 5, 2012 04:38

ibsocal
Cool video I remember that white guitar,any ideas on how to post a couple snapshots that i took in San Diego that day.I scanned them but am lost on how to postconfused smiley

You can upload them to photobucket and them copy the link and paste into the link in the toolbar above.

It was a beautiful sunny day in October 1981. We started out in an old beat up van with a bunch of sailors. Made it to some house in the hills and indulged in some weed and mushrooms while we all mixed up jugs of energy drinks. I remember standing in a long line waiting to get into the stadium holding on to that plastic milk gallon jug of homemade Mojo drinking it like water, and by the time we got into the stadium I was so wasted and couldn't walk. Arm in arm we all made it down to the stadium floor and found a spot in front to set up camp. To be continued...

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: March 5, 2012 05:07

I got Screaming Jay Hawkins at MSG on Nov 13th 1981

Pecman

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 5, 2012 05:29

I got Screaming Jay Hawkins at MSG on November 12, 1981 and Bobby Womack at the Capital Centre in Landover, MD on December 7, 1981.

James Brown was originally going to be the warmup act for the MSG shows. But he wanted to bring a small orchestra, and the Stones would only pay for a seven-piece band. So James backed out, and Screaming Jay took his place at the last minute.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-05 11:19 by ab.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 5, 2012 06:13

You gotta hand it to George - what a performance! What a four piece band. Stu must have liked them (even though his pianoplaying is hardly audible). Look at George's dancing in the end! And the sax! The energy! Only one guitarist and no hidden ones behind the amps! This is real rock and roll boogie! Thanks for the clip, Youngie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-05 13:47 by Stoneage.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: March 5, 2012 13:28

I'm counting 5 piece band.

George, bass, drums, sax and piano.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 5, 2012 13:46

Didn't count Stu. In fact I can hardly hear him.

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: March 5, 2012 17:11

Not sure if this is the show being referred to in the opening post?:

EDIT: This must be the show. The only show performed by the Stones in San Diego in 1981 (at the Jack Murphy Stadium on 7th October '81).

The Rolling Stones American Tour 1981

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-05 17:13 by Youngie.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: March 5, 2012 17:18

I think san diego was the best show of the tour

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 5, 2012 17:55

The whole west coast swing was fantastic. I remember after the San Francisco shows that Peter Wolf was critisized by the press for acting too much like Jagger while on stage.

Great shows. I think the San Francisco Saturday show was the best, but Seattle was pretty good too.

Date: March 6, 2012 00:59

Youngie
Not sure if this is the show being referred to in the opening post?:

EDIT: This must be the show. The only show performed by the Stones in San Diego in 1981 (at the Jack Murphy Stadium on 7th October '81).

The Rolling Stones American Tour 1981

That was freakin awesome,BIG TIME flashback (chills) with the news coverage and all cool smiley
I knew I did not pay more than 20 bucks but 15 bucks a pop thumbs up Great times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-06 01:01 by ibsocal.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 6, 2012 01:15

"Glad that the Stones audience didn't discourage him from staying in show business"

They almost did... One of her backing musicians revealed that Prince left the stage the stage... then he left L.A. and he flew back home to Minneapolis!

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: March 6, 2012 05:09

Youngie

Not San Diego but here's George Thorogood opening for The Stones Hampton Coliseum Dec 18 1981. Last song of his set.

Gotta respect 1) anyone that can play a set like this, and 2) the Stones themselves for always having primo opening acts who could both get the crowd inspired and kick the boot up the arse a bit of the still-to-come headliner.

But here's something I've asked before and not a single solitary person in all of IORR-land is Stones-savvy enough to provide an answer:

At 8:38 of this clip, you hear the piped-in pre-recorded music start that filled the gap between opening act and headliner. Does anybody know the complete list of tunes played during this interim? I'm 99.48% sure it was the same set of pre-recorded songs each night on this tour.

Arcane? Trivial? You bet it is. But this is knowledge I am now obsessed with, for "historical" and (mostly) nostalgic reasons.

Seriously, a case of Rebel Yell for anyone who even comes close to knowing this.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1545
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home