Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Got Live If You Want It, West German London CD 1984
Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: March 17, 2018 04:09

I learn something new everyday.

I just purchased Got Live If You Want It, the collectible West German 1984 original London CD.

As we all know the original LP Under My Thumb was replaced in 1986 on all ABKCO releases with an alternate Under My Thumb from another venue, along with an alternate introduction. Only the original US London cassette and reel to reel contained a non scratch or popping original Under My Thumb. The new CDs had the alternate track.

But I learnd today, the West German version has a clean original Under My Thumb and introduction, BUT, surpringly and puzzling, all tracks on the West German 1984 CD have fade in and fade out separation of tracks at the beginning and end of all tracks, I don't know why they did that.

But that was the early days of CD production.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-17 04:12 by deardoctortake1.

Re: Got Live If You Want It, West German London CD 1984
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 17, 2018 04:40

We are talking about the MFSL mixes of CDs which were released in West Germany and Japan.

I'm not sure exactly which pressing of Got Live If You Want It you have. A scan of the CD and artwork would be needed.

If I remember correctly, the original West German CDs (first pressings) did not have the fade ins and outs. It was the second pressings that faded in and out. The Japanese counterparts (P33L) had less fade in and out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-17 04:45 by exilestones.

Date: March 17, 2018 04:43

A2.8) "A Brief History of the London Discs"

[Note: For even MORE information on this topic, including scans, see the excellent
webpage at
[home.arcor.de]]

It's unsurprising that many USA Stones fans (those who aren't the kind of obsessives we
are, anyway) wouldn't know this, but here we go; in summary, while the US had until
now been stuck with the crap-tacular early ABKCO CDs for the Stones' Decca albums,
this was NOT the case for the rest of the world. While ABKCO owned the CD rights for
the Stones' albums in the states, they didn't quite hold worldwide influence, which led to
the London label (which older Stones fans will recognize as the label on which the
original US records came out) reissuing their OWN versions of the Stones discs right
before ABKCO got started. The thing is, while ABKCO utilized "whatever was on the
shelf" for their discs, and generally turned out a substandard product full of muddy-
sounding tracks, fake stereo mixes, and stereo fold-downs, London managed to utilize
tapes that had been prepared by audiophile label Mobile Fidelity for their early-80s
Stones LP boxed-set. The result? The London discs were very un-craptacular, and for the
most part still sound rather swell today.

In particular, the London CDs introduced several stereo versions of songs that had
previously been only in mono ("Satisfaction", "Get Off of My Cloud," "Play With Fire"),
and had several rarities the ABKCO discs completely lacked. London also chose to
release the UK versions of Aftermath and 1st instead of the American versions, and
ignored the Big Hits compilations entirely. For the most part, the London discs were also
free of some of the more heinous tampering that marked ABKCO's catalogue, as folded-
down stereo mixes and fake stereo do not make an appearance on the London set.

[Note: Those three songs mentioned above are the only three that were completely new
stereo-wise. Other stereo tracks that the London discs utilized actually had shown up in
stereo somewhere on vinyl. "It's All Over Now," for example, was stereo on Rolled Gold;
'Paint it, Black" was stereo on the US Aftermath; "Time is On My Side" was stereo on
some later pressings of hits compilations.]

Note that while the London discs are usually preferred to the ABKCO versions of
the same titles, in many cases the differences are pretty subtle. In particular, the early
material (i.e. Now!, parts of 12x5, Out Of Our Heads) doesn't sound much different, as
many of those tracks NEVER sounded very good in the first place. In some cases, things
do sound different, but not necessarily "better" or "worse."

Mobile Fidelity, it should be noted, wasn't very happy about London's use of their
tapes (as one label head went on record and bemoaned that London's use of the "Decca
Digital" system had destroyed the faithfulness of the tapes used, despite ambiguity as to
whether or not the system was actually used), so while the back of some of the London
discs do credit MFSL, some do not. This is semi-random throughout the releases, and its
absence does NOT mean you have an old-ABKCO version of a disc.

Now, the last degree of note with regard to the London discs involves the various
issues thereof. Simplifying a bit, we get a total of 5 disparate London issues: the early,
German pre-ABKCO discs (not all titles were released in this batch, artwork is very bare-
bones, and some titles have a "DIGITALLY REMASTERED" banner in the upper-left
corner), the "regular period" German discs, the Japanese P33L series, the Japanese P25L
series, and the early POCD series. There are several subcategories I'm ignoring (i.e. the
"regular issue" German discs actually went through several different pressing runs), but
these are the major variations. Here's how the content of these various issues pans out:

a) The early-pressing German London discs sound like straight transfers from the tapes;
while the packaging and artwork isn't all that hot, the discs sound great. Several titles are
not included in this run, including the More Hot Rocks discs, Got Live If You Want It!,
Let It Bleed, and December's Children. Some discs mention ABKCO, some don't. Note
that EXTREMELY EARLY German pressings exist of only self-titled and Beggar's
Banquet; these have a radically different disc-design than the "regular" early pressings
and the later pressings.

b) The regular-issue German London discs have a 12-page booklet/catalogue. The
"digitally remastered" banner is now retired on all titles, and back-cover artwork is
improved. While many entries in this series seem to be clones of the earliest pressings,
some notably vary, including Hot Rocks (with fade-ups on some tracks), self-titled
(without the longest version of "Tell Me"), and others; see section 4.0 for precise details.
These discs were in print until around 1995, and there are several variations of this run
which include slightly-different disc designs, et cetera. Australian CD pressings exist of
self-titled which are identical to this German version.

Because of the fade-ups inherent on multiple titles in this set, the early-version variants of
those titles are usually preferred.

[Note: Despite endless speculation as to why the fade-ups exist on certain Stones tracks,
nobody's ever provided a definitive answer. If you are "in the know" on this issue, please
contact us!]

These were forced out of print in 1995, and replaced by ABKCO discs. Note that the
German/French London discs have "820" or "800" catalogue prefixes, while the later
ABKCO discs have an "844" prefix.

c) Japanese P33L editions. The closest the Japanese discs get to "bare bones," these use
the same covers as the early German London discs (but without the "Digitally
Remastered" banner), and seem to use the same back covers. The disc booklets aren't
*quite* as information-packed as they would be in the later issues, but they still have
copious notes (usually by one Mike M. Koshitani). Probably released in 1986.

More: [www.lukpac.org]

Date: March 17, 2018 04:49

thanks exilestones for this info.
I'll have to check all of my versions of my London German CDs.
It's pretty confusing it appears.

Date: March 17, 2018 04:58

For reasons completely beyond my ability to comprehend, Got Live If You Want It!-surely not the most distinguished entry in the Stones' 60s catalogue-has some of the stranger CD issues attached to it.

The original London CD utilized mostly the same audio content as the original stereo LP, with a few slight differences. There are fades before and after each song, and some crowd noise has obviously been "re-utilized" to hide gaps in the sources (the original stereo LP had no gaps between tracks). Other than that, however, the audio corresponds to the stereo LP, and reveals how startlingly fake this album is; there is no way in hell that most of these vocals are live, unless Mick was standing in a vacuum somewhere! Plus, "I'm Alright" uses the same backing track the EP version did (from a
year earlier), and some tracks have instruments that the Stones clearly did not play on stage at the time. Note that "I've Been Loving You Too Long" and "Fortune Teller" are mixed very strangely; for "Fortune Teller," the actual mono studio track is mixed into both channels, with the crowd noise only occupying one. For "I've Been Loving You Too Long", the band is mixed left, the vocal is centered, and the crowd noise is right, with little to no "bleed" between the two channels. Note also that "Fortune Teller" here
appears in its "harmonica" variant.

The original ABKCO CD is in mono, but does *not* correspond with the original mono mix. Indeed, in a bizarre move, ABKCO singled out Got Live If You Want It! for a complete re-working/re-assembling. Among some of the resultant changes: the album now has a "different" introduction (the original mix cut off the intro after the introduction of Bill Wyman), "Under My Thumb" has a different vocal, various segues are different, and "Fortune Teller" is suddenly an alternate mix, with no harmonica and extra percussion overdubs (among other things).

As ABKCO's new reissue seems to be a straight transfer of their re-assembled version from the eighties (and doesn't sound much better here, frankly), one needs both an "ABKCO-mix" version and a "London mix" version-in practical terms, a London disc and either ABKCO disc-to have everything. And even with that, the London *still* doesn't quite match the stereo LP.

More: [www.lukpac.org]

Date: March 17, 2018 05:22

deardoctortake1
thanks exilestones for this info.
I'll have to check all of my versions of my London German CDs.
It's pretty confusing it appears.

There were several issues of the wide stereo West German CDs on the London label. They seem identical. I used to know this stuff years ago but forgot the details.

It started with me trying to find the best version/mixes/sound quality of Rolling Stones music. It was very confusing at first but if you read all of the Luke Pac and especially the home.arcor.de information, you can get a handle on it.

One thing to consider is which CDs have the wide setero MFSL mixes. They are the 1980's West German London CDs and the Japan P33L series.

I can't remember off hand about the Japan P25L series. I think they were the wide stereo version without all of the bumps and warts. They are people here who can tell you.

What I also found interesting was the POCD releases which are Japan version of the 'Old Abkco' 1980 CD releases in great sound. These are not the wide stereo but the Abkco 1980s mixes which many are quite good, especially Paint It Black. Stay away from the Old Abkco as they aren't very good sound but the POCDs are the same mixes.

This Stones mix hunt can really get long and interesting and keep you going for years.

In 2002 it all changed with the Remastered Series. All new mixes.

Often when Stones albums are rereleased there's yet another mix. Id Exile on Main Street still good ol' Exile when it has a new mix? idk.

I liked the TOCP releases, especially Some Girls.

I have so many versions of Sticky Fingers, I don't know where to start!

The 2009 remasters, the earliest titles suck like Goats Head Soup (horrible sound and mix - check out the very beginning of Mr D.) but from Black and Blue on sound great overall.

I'd love to revisit and research all of the different masters and mixes, if I had the time.

Date: March 17, 2018 05:25

[home.arcor.de]

Date: March 17, 2018 05:29

I'm remembering more...

Rereleases of the Lodon CDs (West German) with different mastering (some fade and some don't) had the exact same catalog numbers! WTF!

The [home.arcor.de] site had it all broken down to tell the differences. I know the author is on IORR. Great guy.

Date: March 17, 2018 05:34

One of the Under My Thumbs you mention was from New Castle, UK, October 1, 1965.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: March 17, 2018 06:55

exilestones - I have a West German first pressing 01* matrix with old logo and it has fades in and out.

deardoctortake1 - Did you purchase that in a store or online? Just curious about something.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 17, 2018 10:39

deardoctortake1
1. The 1st pressing of GLIYWI is not from 1984 but from July 1988.
2. If your CD looks different from this one

you got a re-issue. Although, the mastering is identical for all the re-issues in the case of this London CD.
3. This CD utilized different versions of intro, Under My Thumb and Fortune Teller comparing to ABKCO. There are fades between the tracks.
4. Japanese P33L, P25L and early POCD series share the same mastering. Digitally they are identical within null samples. However, the mastering is different comparing to their WG counterparts. Most of them are a bit tweaked. Not critically but just a bit.

Those funny %% are EAC peak levels, roughly, the volume. If they are different - the mastering is different (in a simple words, it is more complex).
5. The quote that exilestones presented above (Date: March 17, 2018 04:43) provides rather general and not very accurate description for London CDs catalogue. Although, it works as the 0th approach. Please also keep in mind that at the time Luke and Dave wrote their text (2002) they did not have in hands all set of London CDs. There are a couple of factual errors.
6. home.arcor.de has a new home [www.stay-tuned-to-sw.de] But the owner and the guy who wrote about different pressings, apparently, lost interest and his classification is far from complete. The work of Luke and Dave on the mastering was not updated since 2002 either. Although, Luke (lukpac) now has an extensive data base for all London-Decca era CDs from different countries (London CDs, ABKCO, 2002 remaster, mono). I hope at some point he will update and share his findings.
5. If you want your brain to be twisted on German London CDs - download the following files.
[www.dropbox.com]
[www.dropbox.com]
Those are my latest attempts on systematization (rollingandre should be credited at the first place for providing info on matrix numbers from his collection and lukpac for extended conversation on mastering differences. Sure there were other guys who drop a word or two here and there). Sorry for the English, I am not a native speaker. And sorry for the messy places, there are too many variations of London CDs and almost every month you find something on ebay that was not listed yet. Work is in progress winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-17 12:13 by ironbelly.

Date: March 17, 2018 14:22

Thanks all for the info
I will check all of my German London CDs later

A few observations regarding Got Live

The London mono lp seems to be the best all around
The London stereo lp is too separated and has mild between song banter changes
The Abkco CD has the alternate Under My Thumb, and they put in an abrupt end to Fortune Teller, no fade

The London German CD has the faded and is missing some between song banter ie “stop”, although has the original LP tracks

All of this for a partially live LP
Jagger has in 1977 apologized for this claiming only 4 tracks were really live

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-17 14:51 by deardoctortake1.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: March 17, 2018 14:49

I seem to remember reading on this site years ago,that the original abkco 1986 cd issue was actually the original Mono "Have you seen your mother Live" ...different song times,different intros etc...which was a different gig than the one used on GLIYWI....wish I could find that old thread..

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 17, 2018 15:05

exile stones - what is the situation now? Does ABKCO now hold ALL the worldwide rights, or does London still have an involvement?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 17, 2018 16:02

Forgot about it. What was the story behind changing the intro/ Under my thumb?

I always really liked the original.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-20 14:48 by CousinC.

Date: March 17, 2018 16:54

nick
exilestones - I have a West German first pressing 01* matrix with old logo and it has fades in and out.

deardoctortake1 - Did you purchase that in a store or online? Just curious about something.

Thanks for the info.

Date: March 17, 2018 16:58

ironbelly
deardoctortake1

you got a re-issue. Although, the mastering is identical for all the re-issues in the case of this London CD.
3. This CD utilized different versions of intro, Under My Thumb and Fortune Teller comparing to ABKCO. There are fades between the tracks.
4. Japanese P33L, P25L and early POCD series share the same mastering. Digitally they are identical within null samples. However, the mastering is different comparing to their WG counterparts. Most of them are a bit tweaked. Not critically but just a bit.

Those funny %% are EAC peak levels, roughly, the volume. If they are different - the mastering is different (in a simple words, it is more complex).
5. The quote that exilestones presented above (Date: March 17, 2018 04:43) provides rather general and not very accurate description for London CDs catalogue. Although, it works as the 0th approach. Please also keep in mind that at the time Luke and Dave wrote their text (2002) they did not have in hands all set of London CDs. There are a couple of factual errors.
6. home.arcor.de has a new home [www.stay-tuned-to-sw.de] But the owner and the guy who wrote about different pressings, apparently, lost interest and his classification is far from complete. The work of Luke and Dave on the mastering was not updated since 2002 either. Although, Luke (lukpac) now has an extensive data base for all London-Decca era CDs from different countries (London CDs, ABKCO, 2002 remaster, mono). I hope at some point he will update and share his findings.
5. If you want your brain to be twisted on German London CDs - download the following files.
[www.dropbox.com]
[www.dropbox.com]
Those are my latest attempts on systematization (rollingandre should be credited at the first place for providing info on matrix numbers from his collection and lukpac for extended conversation on mastering differences. Sure there were other guys who drop a word or two here and there). Sorry for the English, I am not a native speaker. And sorry for the messy places, there are too many variations of London CDs and almost every month you find something on ebay that was not listed yet. Work is in progress winking smiley

I downloaded the above suggested info (DropBox) and all I can say is WOW! Great job on the West German CDs, etc...! THANK YOU!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-17 16:58 by exilestones.

Date: March 17, 2018 17:00

nick

I bought my German CD on line
I’m Guessing from you Nick?
Small world, fun communication

Date: March 17, 2018 17:00

deardoctortake1
Thanks all for the info
I will check all of my German London CDs later

A few observations regarding Got Live

The London mono lp seems to be the best all around
The London stereo lp is too separated and has mild between song banter changes
The Abkco CD has the alternate Under My Thumb, and they put in an abrupt end to Fortune Teller, no fade

The London German CD has the faded and is missing some between song banter ie “stop”, although has the original LP tracks

All of this for a partially live LP
Jagger has in 1977 apologized for this claiming only 4 tracks were really live

Thanks for the info!

Date: March 17, 2018 17:07

jlowe
exile stones - what is the situation now? Does ABKCO now hold ALL the worldwide rights, or does London still have an involvement?

I never follow the record company contracts. I only try to find the best and different music.

If you read the LukPac info, I think I remember it saying that London never had the rights to the Mobil Fidelity Sound Lab mixes. I was heavily in to this stuff years ago and my memory fades.

For those who aren't familiar with the people refer to as the West German CDs, it's more accurate to talk about the wide stereo mixes which were also in other countries. The big contrast was in Japan where there different fade ins, etc...

Maybe someone can confirm that the Japan P25L series were also the MFSL wide stereo mixes of these classic Stones albums? If I remember correctly, the P25L series had the best sound for these mixes and no fade ins or outs? What I think I remember is that the best copies/releases of the wide stereo are the P25L releases due to no fades and superior sound.

As far as the 'old abkco' 1986 (I think it was '86) mixes the POCD series is fabulous!

I've seen it written to stay away from the 'old Abkco with the balck and red "Digitally Remastered" banner at the bottom due to horrible sound. People should not generalize. I remember finding a few great tracks on the old Abkco Hot Rocks. Under My Thumb I remember.

That's a whole other story, Hot Rocks. Every version of Hot Rocks was like opening a treasure chest. I was amazed to find different mixes/masterings of the songs. It's not like there are original tapes f Hot Rocks that are used over and over. They pluck different versions of Heart of Stones for example on different releases of Hot Rocks.

Searching these Stones reissues can keep you busy for the rest of your life. When you find gems such as the MFSL You Can't Always Get What You Want on Let It Bleed and enjoy it so much, WOW, it's a great hunt! Keep going Lawerence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-17 17:25 by exilestones.

Date: March 17, 2018 17:11

After going though many reissues of the MFSL wide stereo mixes, I want to tell you there is some really cool music there and is different than anything released today even though they are the same songs/recording.

Compare Satanic Majesties wide stereo, in particular 2000 Light Years from the original USA mono mix, to the MFSL mix, to the recent DSD mix. They are all great and probably the best examples in the world of what a difference a mix can do to a song!

Date: March 17, 2018 17:49

ironbelly
deardoctortake1

[www.dropbox.com]
[www.dropbox.com]

My CD and matrix numbers are identical to your picture above
It has the fades

Date: March 17, 2018 19:36

deardoctortake1

My CD and matrix numbers are identical to your picture above
It has the fades
Congratulations! You got the 1st pressing. Fades are normal in this case. But nobody really knows where they come from.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: March 17, 2018 20:13

Exilestones, I’m amazed that you know or can access all that information. It’s interesting. Thanks for posting. Is this a unique hobby-hunting all the different versions? Anyone else similarly afflicted?

Date: March 17, 2018 21:22

2120Joe
Exilestones, I’m amazed that you know or can access all that information. It’s interesting. Thanks for posting. Is this a unique hobby-hunting all the different versions? Anyone else similarly afflicted?

I did after reading Luke and Dave's FAQ and so far I got:
The 1st UK CD with the full version of Tell Me that has a "cold ending".
Aftermath and Between the Buttons for their quality of stereo.
Got Live because it's Intro and Under My Thumb from the original LP.
Hot Rocks 1&2 mostly 1 that has Satisfaction, Get Off My Cloud, and Play With Fire in wide stereo available no where else.
Eventually I'm getting Flowers and More Hot Rocks 1&2.
All with the old logo and all with the "01" matrix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-17 21:26 by nick.

Date: March 17, 2018 22:54

detroitken
I seem to remember reading on this site years ago,that the original abkco 1986 cd issue was actually the original Mono "Have you seen your mother Live" ...different song times,different intros etc...which was a different gig than the one used on GLIYWI....wish I could find that old thread..

FYI

The Japanese Have You seen Your Mother Live LP Stereo FFSS open blue London label has the original wide stereo version

As does the Holland open Decca stereo blue label, has the original version

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-20 00:40 by deardoctortake1.

Date: March 18, 2018 03:23

2120Joe
I believe - more than you can imagine winking smiley

nick
Eventually I'm getting Flowers and More Hot Rocks 1&2.
All with the old logo and all with the "01" matrix.
From my experience these are a kind of a tough call. I do not know why but some of the editions from 1988 are more rare than those from 1984-1985. Maybe because they were less popular titles and not so many were sold at the first place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-18 03:32 by ironbelly.

Date: March 18, 2018 04:42

ironbelly
From my experience these are a kind of a tough call. I do not know why but some of the editions from 1988 are more rare than those from 1984-1985. Maybe because they were less popular titles and not so many were sold at the first place.

I wasn't necessarily concerned with rare. I just wanted 1st pressings. As far as 1984 vs.1988, Got Live, Flowers, and MHR 1&2 1st pressings are 1988. I am in agreement with the point you are making. We all saw that Got Live rarity I laid on you guys at the Stonescave with "Germany PDO". As you stated, it was a 3rd pressing variant.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 19, 2018 06:27

I'm in the states but bought a West German (820) pressing of their debut album at a used CD place in the late 80s. It says ABKCO and London on the back. It still sounds great. It was the best 'early' Stones I had, even better than the LP, until the SACD remasters came along in 2002.

Date: March 19, 2018 12:51

exilestones
ironbelly
deardoctortake1

[www.dropbox.com]
[www.dropbox.com]

I downloaded the above suggested info (DropBox) and all I can say is WOW! Great job on the West German CDs, etc...! THANK YOU!

I downloaded it oo, and echo your 'Wow!'. But special Thank You to you Exile, and DearDoc and Ironbelly, for the information and work.
Got Live, the album is a real oddity. All I can attribute it to is that maybe they were trying to emulate James brown, and his huge
Live at the Apollo" success. 'Got Live' is just so badly done, to begin with. And then the transfer to CD only made it worse. There are many,many of the old time 60's hits by all acts, that are not cut out for pristine separation and Hi Fi. Phil Spector and his wall another one who should be heard in Mono on a 45 vinyl.
I am curious about those differences in the 'Got Live' versions. My overall collection is huge, but a real mess. So while often I know I have it, I have no idea where or why. I know I heard the different intro, but I thought it was some boot, or alternate album, like maybe Russian.
"Under my Thumb' is different?
Jagger says only 4 cuts are Live? In my mind they all sound live, except the infamous two doctored songs. Maybe Jagger means that they have been fiddled with. still - probably less fixing up than 'Ya Yas'. The lead vocals may be overdubbed; Keith's vocals too. "Lady Jane" probably has a few Brian's on there.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1316
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home