Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Will The Stones play a new studio track live during No Filter?
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 18, 2018 11:44

Monsoon Ragoon

Somebody mentioned in another thread that I Got The Blues was played on the tour, in Liverpool or so. In the booklet of the official "Sticky Fingers Live" the Newcastle performance of CYHMK is "confirmed".

thumbs up

- Doxa

Date: March 18, 2018 11:51

Deardoctorstake1, that was a helluva story! Thanks for sharing!

- Doxa

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: March 19, 2018 15:02

Doubt it. But Joe Bonamassa did four new songs at the very start of his concert in Brighton on Saturday. Album not out until September.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 19, 2018 15:14

Deardoctorstake1, thanx for the amazing story!!! To think we were put on Earth at the same time as the boys, it makes me so thankful.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 19, 2018 16:45

deardoctortake1, thank you for that wicked story!

Two quick takeaways from me:

"I remember I couldn't tell the difference between Woody and Keith"...
such an honest admittance. When I watched that show live, I thought that Mick had licked Keith's face. It wasn't until riding the school bus that Monday morning that I overheard the truth, of it being Ronnie, and couldn't quite comprehend ANY of it!

"He didn't take his cup, I did, and I still have it to this day.That's how I know what he was drinking"...
so did you finish drinking it?! Wild, just wild.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 19, 2018 17:43

GasLightStreet
SEMANTICS ALERT.

"Released" is official. "Pre-released" means before it's released, hence the "ed" part of release, which says it happened. You can't pre-release anything, because when it's released it's released.

No man is a prophet in his own land and so it is with GasLight's efforts to build a better IORR. Tragic, really.

As for the topic, for me the only ones that count (other than a few STICKY FINGERS tracks) are "Loving Cup" and "Worried About You" since they were played live without turning up on an album a few weeks later. They were truly examples of road-testing new material. They could have ended up like "What Kind of World Is This?" which Jagger tested on his solo tour in 1988 and decided to shelve.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-19 17:45 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: March 19, 2018 18:23

Rocky Dijon

As for the topic, for me the only ones that count (other than a few STICKY FINGERS tracks) are "Loving Cup" and "Worried About You" since they were played live without turning up on an album a few weeks later. They were truly examples of road-testing new material. They could have ended up like "What Kind of World Is This?" which Jagger tested on his solo tour in 1988 and decided to shelve.

Hmm.. I am not quite sure if the example "Loving Cup" holds here, or if it does, some other songs count as well. The fact that played it at Hyde Park doesn't seem to differ from the reason they played "Midnight Rambler" and "Love In Vain" in that occassion. Those just happened to be among the hottest songs they were working at the time, two of them, as it turned out to be, to appear in their next album to be released several months later, one not. If the testimony of 'Drunken version' based on Keith's similar guitar sound, is sound, it was recorded pretty close to sessions for "Honky Tonk Women". So my point is that they were 'road-testing' "Midnight Rambler" as much as they did "Loving Cup" - or "Gimme Little Drink" as I remember some bootlegs calling it - at Hyde Park, and I don't think they exactly knew yet which songs will make the upcoming album in horizon (probably all of them).

We have a semantical problem here, Boston...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 19, 2018 19:01

No

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: March 19, 2018 19:12

Kurt
deardoctortake1, thank you for that wicked story!

Two quick takeaways from me:

"I remember I couldn't tell the difference between Woody and Keith"...
such an honest admittance. When I watched that show live, I thought that Mick had licked Keith's face. It wasn't until riding the school bus that Monday morning that I overheard the truth, of it being Ronnie, and couldn't quite comprehend ANY of it!

"He didn't take his cup, I did, and I still have it to this day.That's how I know what he was drinking"...
so did you finish drinking it?! Wild, just wild.

thumbs upthumbs up

I didn't drink from the cup, I think I dumped the liquid in a nearby trash can, with very little remnant, took it back to school.

]Ron Wood's cup[/url]

Date: March 19, 2018 19:38

Doxa is right, which is typical. My head hurts now.

As for Ronnie's cup, happily, it isn't bio-degradable so you should have it as a family heirloom forever.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: March 19, 2018 20:27

bengigan
-Ride em on down at Desert Trip 1
-Just your fool at Desert Trip 2

These shows were a couple months before B&L came out, but there was more hype about the recording of the album.

Actually they first time played Ride Em on Down in 1962. Which makes it 54 years before album release! Analogically Little Baby was performed 33 years before recorded on Stripped.

Date: March 19, 2018 20:57

I don't know what actually 'being right' means here...grinning smiley

But since this is about the most important thing to ever talk about, all I can do is carry on...

Namely, now to think of it, among all those songs performed before released, "Worried About You" seems to be in a rank of its own, a real oddity. With any other track there is some sort of 'rational' explanation why to perform it, but not here. It is a track initially done to BLACK AND BLUE - or a fruit of those sessions - but why on earth they decided to play it, suddenly, almost a year after the record was released? Why not, for example, some other, actually released BLACK AND BLUE track? And then it was forgotten for almost four years. Since as far I know, they haven't been in a studio for some time, so it wasn't a song they just happened to be at the time working on (as we could say of "Loving Cup" in regards to Hyde Park). And that's why, suddenly, decided to 'test live'. No, the sessions for upcoming album (SOME GIRLS) hadn't even started yet. There wasn't anything to 'road-test'.

It looks like that they (Mick?) had some plans for it - they hadn't forgotten it as 'just another out-take'. No, all I can imply is that they must have liked it and saw it as a serious candidate to release some day - probably in an album to follow BLACK AND BLUE. But, however, the Toronto performance happened just before the punk thing hitted Jagger hard, which had a tremendous effect on the nature of SOME GIRLS album. We can easily see why a 'mature', soulful long ballad was suddenly 'yesterday's papers' for a 'new', updated Jagger.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-19 20:58 by Doxa.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 19, 2018 21:41

deardoctortake1,
Oh I bet your wife loves that in her china cabinet grinning smiley.
I would!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 19, 2018 21:50

35love
deardoctortake1,
Oh I bet your wife loves that in her china cabinet grinning smiley.
I would!

I would purchase a china cabinet specifically for displaying that cup.
Exclusively!

smiling bouncing smiley

Date: March 19, 2018 22:13

Doxa
Namely, now to think of it, among all those songs performed before released, "Worried About You" seems to be in a rank of its own, a real oddity. With any other track there is some sort of 'rational' explanation why to perform it, but not here. It is a track initially done to BLACK AND BLUE - or a fruit of those sessions - but why on earth they decided to play it, suddenly, almost a year after the record was released? Why not, for example, some other, actually released BLACK AND BLUE track? And then it was forgotten for almost four years. Since as far I know, they haven't been in a studio for some time, so it wasn't a song they just happened to be at the time working on (as we could say of "Loving Cup" in regards to Hyde Park). And that's why, suddenly, decided to 'test live'. No, the sessions for upcoming album (SOME GIRLS) hadn't even started yet. There wasn't anything to 'road-test'.

It looks like that they (Mick?) had some plans for it - they hadn't forgotten it as 'just another out-take'. No, all I can imply is that they must have liked it and saw it as a serious candidate to release some day - probably in an album to follow BLACK AND BLUE. But, however, the Toronto performance happened just before the punk thing hitted Jagger hard, which had a tremendous effect on the nature of SOME GIRLS album. We can easily see why a 'mature', soulful long ballad was suddenly 'yesterday's papers' for a 'new', updated Jagger.

- Doxa

I actually believe I know the answer to this, but I can't offer a quote to back it up (which doesn't mean someone more knowledgeable can't). The answer is while it didn't make BLACK AND BLUE where they already had two ballads, it was considered for a possible appearance on LOVE YOU LIVE as a brand new song recorded live. Unlike all the other club shows they've played since the band became hugely successful, the El Mocambo gigs were arranged to give them something special for LOVE YOU LIVE. That's what Knebworth was supposed to do, but didn't in their estimation so they tried again.

In the process of planning the set lists they decided to try a leftover and see if it could be given new life. Obviously, they ended up not going with it after playback. Had things not gone the way they did in 1979/80, it might have stayed locked in the vaults. Happily, TATTOO YOU gave us a chance to hear it.

The promo film indicates early on in 1981 it was considered as a potential single and live staple and yet, by the time they hit the road i 1981, they never touched it and it stayed an album track only. Feedback from Atlantic and EMI and likely radio program directors would be my guess as to what killed it.

Mick has obviously always felt an affinity for the song because it keeps getting another chance at life. I love it so I, for one, am pleased with it. Substituting it for "Fool to Cry" would have made BLACK AND BLUE a far stronger album in my view.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 19, 2018 22:23

Rocky Dijon
Doxa

- Doxa

I actually believe I know the answer to this, but I can't offer a quote to back it up (which doesn't mean someone more knowledgeable can't). The answer is while it didn't make BLACK AND BLUE where they already had two ballads, it was considered for a possible appearance on LOVE YOU LIVE as a brand new song recorded live. Unlike all the other club shows they've played since the band became hugely successful, the El Mocambo gigs were arranged to give them something special for LOVE YOU LIVE. That's what Knebworth was supposed to do, but didn't in their estimation so they tried again.

In the process of planning the set lists they decided to try a leftover and see if it could be given new life. Obviously, they ended up not going with it after playback. Had things not gone the way they did in 1979/80, it might have stayed locked in the vaults. Happily, TATTOO YOU gave us a chance to hear it.

The promo film indicates early on in 1981 it was considered as a potential single and live staple and yet, by the time they hit the road i 1981, they never touched it and it stayed an album track only. Feedback from Atlantic and EMI and likely radio program directors would be my guess as to what killed it.

Mick has obviously always felt an affinity for the song because it keeps getting another chance at life. I love it so I, for one, am pleased with it. Substituting it for "Fool to Cry" would have made BLACK AND BLUE a far stronger album in my view.

A open question is if they already premiered it in San Antonio in 1975 like somebody mentioned in another thread.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 19, 2018 22:51

GREAT story deardoctortake1!

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: March 19, 2018 23:37

bye bye johnny

Wow, that’s an honor to hear that from you, such a great photographer and Stones insider??

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 20, 2018 00:44

i don't think I can be convinced that The Glimmer Twins after 60 years.... if they really really wanted to...couldn't or don't have the ability to write a hit.....they can...they just cant get on the same @#$%& page....Blue & Lonesome...was as close as they might ever get...because the authenticity of that effort resulted in hits & world acclaim..... and sales.....so get it together Mick and KR for @#$%&'s sake.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 20, 2018 02:15

I don't care whether it's a hit as long as it is a good song.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 20, 2018 02:41

deardoctortake1
bye bye johnny

Wow, that’s an honor to hear that from you, such a great photographer and Stones insider??

Neither of those. Photos always credit the shooter, and info cites the source.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 20, 2018 02:41

Didn't they play songs from A Bigger Bang before its release during the Toronto club show?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 20, 2018 02:59

More Hot Rocks
Didn't they play songs from A Bigger Bang before its release during the Toronto club show?

Yes,and after at the shows before its release early september 2005.
"Oh no,not you again" has been performed in NYC May 2005 during the mini set when the tour has been announced...

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: March 20, 2018 15:42

Well I hope they will bring up some surprises.
The french press release announcing the 2018 date in Marseille says this :

The Rolling Stones offriront à leurs fans leurs plus grands classiques comme ‘Satisfaction’, ‘Paint It Black’, ‘Jumpin Jack Flash’, ‘Tumbling Dice’, ‘Doom & Gloom’ & ‘Brown Sugar’ mais aussi des inédits et des surprises issues de leurs formidable arsenal de morceaux.

That means :
The Rolling Stones will offer their fans their greatest classics such as 'Satisfaction', 'Paint It Black', 'Jumpin Jack Flash', 'Tumbling Dice', 'Doom & Gloom' & 'Brown Sugar', as well as unreleased tracks and surprises from their great arsenal of songs.

I wouldn't mind to see them drop Tumbling Dice for once...

Date: March 20, 2018 16:31

Doc
Well I hope they will bring up some surprises.
The french press release announcing the 2018 date in Marseille says this :

The Rolling Stones offriront à leurs fans leurs plus grands classiques comme ‘Satisfaction’, ‘Paint It Black’, ‘Jumpin Jack Flash’, ‘Tumbling Dice’, ‘Doom & Gloom’ & ‘Brown Sugar’ mais aussi des inédits et des surprises issues de leurs formidable arsenal de morceaux.

That means :
The Rolling Stones will offer their fans their greatest classics such as 'Satisfaction', 'Paint It Black', 'Jumpin Jack Flash', 'Tumbling Dice', 'Doom & Gloom' & 'Brown Sugar', as well as unreleased tracks and surprises from their great arsenal of songs.

I wouldn't mind to see them drop Tumbling Dice for once...

I wouldn't take this too seriously. Doom And Gloom one of the "greatest classics"?

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: March 20, 2018 16:42

Monsoon Ragoon

I wouldn't take this too seriously. Doom And Gloom one of the "greatest classics"?

The sentence about Doom and Gloom is subjective ;-)

An unreleased song is something objective so everything is possible !
If we have no unreleased song in Marseille, I will sue them since this is the only reason I'm going to a 50th Stones concert :-)

Date: March 20, 2018 16:58

Doc
Monsoon Ragoon

The sentence about Doom and Gloom is subjective ;-)

An unreleased song is something objective so everything is possible !
If we have no unreleased song in Marseille, I will sue them since this is the only reason I'm going to a 50th Stones concert :-)

Nothing like that will happen. They have no reasonable new songs. And if they had they wouldn't play them so early.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 20, 2018 18:07

The blues covers will be the newest songs as they're probably still in promotion mode (ie milking it) with a best seller and Grammy, and after that the newest song will be decades old.
Nostalgia, oldies act, Vegas act, etc, etc., etc., call it what you want but it is what it is - 95% warhorse show with one "rarity" ala Dancing w/Mr.D, and something "new" from Steel Wheels.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 21, 2018 10:03

Will The Stones play a new studio track live during No Filter?

The answer is simple: No.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 21, 2018 10:16

shortfatfanny
More Hot Rocks

Yes,and after at the shows before its release early september 2005.
"Oh no,not you again" has been performed in NYC May 2005 during the mini set when the tour has been announced...

And that sounded pretty promising, rock'n'ready'n'raggeddy and then we got the weak in the knees ABB version...

As for a new song they could always drop a couple of songs at short notice like Mick did with GGaG and EL, depends on whether they need to drum up interest in the shows I suppose...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home