Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Will The Stones play a new studio track live during No Filter?
Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: March 17, 2018 03:56

There is precedent for this, although not recently.

It's certainly possible they can rehearse and perform any track that might be completed for their forthcoming studio album, although Charlie Watts has recently said he has no idea where the album is, and probably has no idea how any track may have been finalized, ie "Train Song", All About You, from 1980's Emotional Rescue.

December 1968- they performed You Can't always Get What You Want in front of a small studio audience at The Rock N Roll circus months before the release of Let It bleed or the single Honky Tonk Women

July 1969 - they performed Loving cup from their forth coming album "to be released in 10 years time", 3 years before Exile

November 1969- they performed You Got To Move 2 years before Sticky fingers

December 1969- they performed newly recorded Brown Sugar 2 years before sticky Fingers

September 1970- they performed Dead flowers, and Brown sugar again, a year before Sticky Fingers

June 1975- they performed Cherry Oh Baby a year before Black and Blue

March 1977- they performed Worried About You 4 years before Tattoo You

October 1978- they briefly performed Summer Romance during SNL rehearsals to a small audience (including myself)

May 2005- they performed Oh NO Not You Again just weeks before A Bigger Bang

Of course during many of their pre tour club shows, they played tracks from forthcoming albums just days or weeks in advance of the album, ie Sad Sad Sad, Rough Justice, Anybody Seen My Baby,

So who knows, maybe they have a track ready for us, months or a year in advance of their new album, one can hope.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-19 18:50 by deardoctortake1.

Re: Will The Stones play a new studio track live during No Filter?
Posted by: bengigan ()
Date: March 17, 2018 07:29

-Ride em on down at Desert Trip 1
-Just your fool at Desert Trip 2

These shows were a couple months before B&L came out, but there was more hype about the recording of the album.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 17, 2018 07:58

bengigan
-Ride em on down at Desert Trip 1
-Just your fool at Desert Trip 2

These shows were a couple months before B&L came out, but there was more hype about the recording of the album.

I think both of those tunes were officially pre-released or leaked before the Desert Trip shows.
Just Your Fool was officially released as a single Oct 6 - eight days before it was played at Desert Trip wkd. 2.
Ride em On Down was officially pre-released mid-late November, but I could swear I had already heard it before they played it at Desert Trip wkd. I.
Could be I was aware of the tracklist of B&L prior to release, and was familiar with the earlier Eddie Taylor version.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 17, 2018 08:57

I don't think so.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 17, 2018 09:30

No, wont happen. They will get hardly any reaction from the crowd, when they will play a new song. So they dont do it.
Jeroen

Date: March 17, 2018 09:38

The problem is that the new songs do not have the quality of Dead Flowers, Brown Sugar, Loving Cup etc. - since decades. Just watched the 1st O2 2012 show on DVD - the two new songs are the weakest of the show, by far. The only other track that isn't very old, Out Of Control, is the 3rd weakest.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 17, 2018 10:00

They should do a dirty version of When Your Gone .....

I don’t want to think about you when you’re gone
I don’t want to hear your voice talk on the phone
All those notes and all those cards, I'm going to throw them in the yard
I’m going to put them in the trash where they belong

ROCKMAN

Date: March 17, 2018 11:52

Rockman
They should do a dirty version of When Your Gone .....

I don’t want to think about you when you’re gone
I don’t want to hear your voice talk on the phone
All those notes and all those cards, I'm going to throw them in the yard
I’m going to put them in the trash where they belong

Great idea. But thar will not happen probably. They didn't even play the single of Exile 2010. If they do something like this it will be Goin' Down or Champagne And Reefer.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 17, 2018 11:58

Yeah I think we should rather be trying to figure out what unplayed (or not for a very long time) they might try to dust off. Might already be a thread about this actually ;-)

If not we could have :
- Let Me Go
- Going to a GoGo
- Slave
- Respectable
- Shame, Shame, Shame
- Neighbors
- Summer Romance
- Hand of Fate
- Coming Down Again

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 17, 2018 12:00

I wonder if Jagger reads these discussions which lead to nowhere in the end. Or maybe Chuck. We can moan and suggest what we like, they will still play 90 % well known hits or live classics, or 80 % with some more luck. At least Jagger seems to know that these discussions exist.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-17 12:07 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 17, 2018 13:02

We should also add to Deardoctortake1's list the songs from LET IT BLEED album - most notably "Midnight Rambler", not to forget "Love In Vain" and "Live With Me" - they performed in Hyde Park and during their American Tour 1969. The album was released 5th of December, a day before Altamont concert - so the official tour was alraedy done by then. Fascinating to think that they performed "Midnight Rambler" every night to totally fresh ears... And it was a show highlight with a great audience response already then...

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-17 13:14 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 17, 2018 13:44

Keith -- We Had It All .... Sri would really love to hear this one .....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 17, 2018 14:33

Doxa
We should also add to Deardoctortake1's list the songs from LET IT BLEED album - most notably "Midnight Rambler", not to forget "Love In Vain" and "Live With Me" - they performed in Hyde Park and during their American Tour 1969. The album was released 5th of December, a day before Altamont concert - so the official tour was alraedy done by then. Fascinating to think that they performed "Midnight Rambler" every night to totally fresh ears... And it was a show highlight with a great audience response already then...

- Doxa

Good point Doxa, for some reason I thought Let It Bleed was released In the spring of 69 , thanks for including in the list
So more reasons for the Stones to do one new track ...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 17, 2018 15:16

Hairball
I think both of those tunes were officially pre-released or leaked before the Desert Trip shows.
Just Your Fool was officially released as a single Oct 6 - eight days before it was played at Desert Trip wkd. 2.

SEMANTICS ALERT.

"Released" is official. "Pre-released" means before it's released, hence the "ed" part of release, which says it happened. You can't pre-release anything, because when it's released it's released.

Leaked generally means it's unofficial, regardless of it being an official copy.

Hairball
Ride em On Down was officially pre-released mid-late November, but I could swear I had already heard it before they played it at Desert Trip wkd.

Officially "pre-released"? So was the album... until December 2nd. Ride 'Em On Down was released December 1 on YouTube so... it was pre-released between the time they finished recording it and the time it was... released.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 17, 2018 15:18

deardoctortake1
Doxa

- Doxa

Good point Doxa, for some reason I thought Let It Bleed was released In the spring of 69 , thanks for including in the list

Edited due some errors due to a hurry yesterday...

Actually, if I would go totally precise and 'nerdy' here (well, that's what I am haha), all the STICKY FINGERS numbers they played during their 'Farewell Tour to England' in 1971 should be counted too. The tour take place in March and the new single "Brown Sugar" and STICKY FINGERS album were released in April. So in addition to already 1969/70 performed "Brown Sugar" and "Dead Flowers", there is at least "Bitch" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" (if that was played, which still seems to be debated). If a Chuck Berry number "Let It Rock" counts here, I guess not (as I guess it did not for 1969 tour with "Little Queenie"). I don't know which other STICKY FINGERS numbers were played during this tour. "I Got The Blues" - but only at MARQUEE, which took place after the release of the album, or did it?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-18 11:43 by Doxa.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 17, 2018 16:32

deardoctortake1
[

October 1978- they briefly performed Summer Romance during SNL rehearsals to a small audience (including myself)

.[/b]

Could you tell us about that?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 17, 2018 17:24

stanlove
deardoctortake1
[

.[/b]

[youtu.be]

5:00 - 5:47

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 17, 2018 17:53

I think Mick has already said they plan to dust off a couple of "rarely played" songs a la Dancing With Mr D but I'd be mightily surprised if they play something that hasn't been released at all (yet)

Date: March 17, 2018 18:36

Doxa
deardoctortake1
Doxa

- Doxa

Actually, if I would go totally precise and 'nerdy' here (well, that's what I am haha), all the STICKY FINGERS numbers they played during their 'Farewell Tour to England' in 1971 should be counted too. The tour take place in March and the new single "Brown Sugar" and STICKY FINGERS album wee relased in April. So in addition toalreday 1969/70 performed "Bitch" and "Dead Flowers", there is at least "Bitch" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" (if that was played,which still seems to be debated). If a Chuck Berry number "Let It Rock" counts here. I don't know which other STICKY FINGERS numbers were played during this tour. "I Got The Blues" - but only at MARQUEE, which took place after the release of the album, or did it?

- Doxa

Somebody mentioned in another thread that I Got The Blues was played on the tour, in Liverpool or so. In the booklet of the official "Sticky Fingers Live" the Newcastle performance of CYHMK is "confirmed".

Date: March 17, 2018 18:45

stanlove
deardoctortake1
[

Well stanLove, thanks for asking, if I may indulge......

Friday October 6th, 1978 I was a 19 year old sophomore at a New Jersey College. That night I had a first date planned with a girl I just met for dinner and a movie.
But that afternoon, my sister, who worked for NBC Channel 4 in New York , called me at my dorm room on the pay phone to tell me she just rode in the elevator with Mick Jagger. The stones were to rehearse for their SNL appearance for the next night. She told me to get to New York right away. I told her I had a date,she said bring her.I remember calling my date to apologize that I couldn't take her to dinner and a movie, but how would you like to go to a rolling stones rehearsal in New York? She didn't mind.I took her, I think we drove in to the city.

We met my sister at the security desk. She was so nervous I wouldn't get there in time. Mick was already in the building. A handful of people were in the lobby as my sister got us through the security desk in front of the elevators.
Moments later , through the lobby , past the security desk, in comes the 4 other Stones with a small entourage and waited for the next elevator next to me.

I was in such awe, I remember I couldn't tell the difference between Woody and Keith. I first spoke to Bill. I remember they all looked so short, old and wrinkled . Bill had a few streaks of long grey hair in the back only. I foolishly told Bill that I was the biggest stones fan in the world and that I thought they were the greatest rock n roll band in the world. Like he never heard that. He told me " you ought to tell Charlie then". As I turned to Charlie, I gently put my hand on his shoulder. I remember thinking how skinny and bony his shoulder and arm was.

Just before the elevator came, Bill, Charlie, and Keith signed a piece of paper I had. Keith was talking to my sister about something and Keith put his arms around my sisters shoulder. Then they all got in the elevator. My sister my date and I took a separate elevator up the 8th floor where studio 8H was for SNL.

The 3 of us stood in the hallway on the 8th floor, just feet away from the studio door. Nobody else was there, just us, and a handful of cast member walking about. There were security men, from NBC, possibly police at the door of the studio. My sister had heard a rumor that if anyone was even to just say hello to Mick, he would walk off the set. Regardless, when Mick suddenly appeared from down a side hallway toward the studio door, I couldn't help but yell out Mick !! He turned and said "Hi" in his cockney accent, then proceeded in to the studio.

For much of the rehearsals, where they played Beast Of Burden Respectable , and shattered over and over, the security guards, who realized we were there, were nice enough to keep the studio doors open so we could see and hear much of the rehearsal from the hallway.

It was amazing to be part of this intimate rehearsal.

I vaguely remember hearing a song being performed that I didn't recognize just after a break. Thankfully, about 10 years later, a video surfaced of these rehearsals, and I learned that song was Summer Romance, a Some Girls sessions song, later released on Emotional Rescue. Those rehearsals at SNL are of course on you tube now.

At the end that break, and they took a lot of breaks, after Summer Romance, you can hear Mick calling for Woody, "Woody to the stage, you're part of the band". Well , Woody was with me!! During that break, I called him over to me and my date and sister. He put down his styrofoam cup of coffee and vodka on a table and signed my paper, and my dates paper too. Best wishes Ronnie Wood on mine, and love Ronnie Wood with a heart on hers. Then he quickly ran back to the set.He didn't take his cup, I did, and I still have it to this day.That's how I know what he was drinking. Much to my wife's chagrin, and she was not my date, I keep Woody's cup in our wall unit with our other fine china etc..

At one point the doors did close, so we went up to the 9th floor, the balcony part of the studio and watched more rehearsing from there. Later one break was very long, and we decided to leave, and my date and I went back to school.

That was one of the greatest nights of my life!! Watching the Stones, my childhood idols in an intimate setting. I proudly display the autographs of Bill, Keith, Charlie, and Woody, along with Woody's cup that I got while being next to them. I never got close to Mick that night, but my sister did get' Micks Autograph separately from me. I'm glad he didn't walk off the set when I said hi to him.

I'm so thankful to have these sessions on video.

Oddly, I never saw my date much after that, don't even know where she is these days. I guess I couldn't compete with The Stones.

Thanks for listening to my story.[/b] I'll try to post my autographs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-19 19:16 by deardoctortake1.

Date: March 17, 2018 18:55

deardoctortake1
stanlove
deardoctortake1
[

Well stanLove, thanks for asking, if I may indulge......

Friday October 6th, 1978 I was a 19 year old sophomore at a New Jersey College. That night I had a first date planned with a girl I just met for dinner and a movie.
But that afternoon, my sister, who worked for NBC Channel 4 in New York , called me at my dorm room on the pay phone to tell me she just rode in the elevator with Mick Jagger. The stones were to rehearse for their SNL appearance for the next night. She told me to get to New York right away. I told her I had a date,she said bring her.I remember calling my date to apologize that I couldn't take her to dinner and a movie, but how would you like to go to a rolling stones rehearsal in New York? She didn't mind.I took her, I think we drove in to the city.

We met my sister at the security desk. She was so nervous I wouldn't get there in time. Mick was already in the building. A handful of people were in the lobby as my sister got us through the security desk in front of the elevators.
Moments later , through the lobby , past the security desk, in comes the 4 other Stones with a small entourage and waited for the next elevator next to me.

I was in such awe, I remember I couldn't tell the difference between Woody and Keith. I first spoke to Bill. I remember they all looked so short, old and wrinkled . Bill had a few streaks of long grey hair in the back only. I foolishly told Bill that I was the biggest stones fan in the world and that I thought they were the greatest rock n roll band in the world. Like he never heard that. He told me " you ought to tell Charlie then". As I turned to Charlie, I gently put my hand on his shoulder. I remember thinking how skinny and bony his shoulder and arm was.

Just before the elevator came, Bill, Charlie, and Keith signed a piece of paper I had. Keith was talking to my sister about something and Keith put his arms around my sisters shoulder. Then they all got in the elevator. My sister my date and I took a separate elevator up the 8th floor where studio 8H was for SNL.

The 3 of us stood in the hallway on the 8th floor, just feet away from the studio door. Nobody else was there, just us, and a handful of cast member walking about. There were security men, from NBC, possibly police at the door of the studio. My sister had heard a rumor that if anyone was even to just say hello to Mick, he would walk off the set. Regardless, when Mick suddenly appeared from down a side hallway toward the studio door, I couldn't help but yell out Mick !! He turned and said "Hi" in his cockney accent, then proceeded in to the studio.

For much of the rehearsals, where they played Beast Of Burden Respectable , and shattered over and over, the security guards, who realized we were there, were nice enough to keep the studio doors open so we could see and hear much of the rehearsal from the hallway.

It was amazing to be part of this intimate rehearsal.

I vaguely remember hearing a song being performed that I didn't recognize just after a break. Thankfully, about 10 years later, a video surfaced of these rehearsals, and I learned that song was Summer Romance, a Some Girls sessions song, later released on Emotional Rescue. Those rehearsals at SNL are of course on you tube now.

At the end that break, and they took a lot of breaks, after Summer Romance, you can hear Mick calling for Woody, "Woody to the stage, you're part of the band". Well , Woody was with me!! During that break, I called him over to me and my date and sister. He put down his styrofoam cup of coffee and vodka on a table and signed my paper, and my dates paper too. Best wishes Ronnie Wood on mine, and love Ronnie Wood with a heart on hers. Then he quickly ran back to the set.He didn't take his cup, I did, and I still have it to this day.That's how I know what he was drinking. Much to my wife's chagrin, and she was not my date, I keep Woody's cup in our wall unit with our other fine china etc..

At one point the doors did close, so we went up to the 9th floor, the balcony part of the studio and watched more rehearsing from there. Later one break was very long, and we decided to leave, and my date and I went back to school.

That was one of the greatest nights of my life!! Watching the Stones, my childhood idols in an intimate setting. I proudly display the autographs of Bill, Keith, Charlie, and Woody, along with Woody's cup that I got while being next to them. I never got close to Mick that night, but my sister did get' Micks Autograph separately from me. I'm glad he didn't walk off the set when I said hi to him.

I'm so thankful to have these sessions on video.

Oddly, I never saw my date much after that, don't even know where she is these days. I guess I couldn't compete with The Stones.

Thanks for listening to my story.[/b] I'll try to post my autographs.

thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 17, 2018 18:55

Great story, deardoctortake1 !

Was interested in whether you were able to stay for the live show taping, as nowadays (and maybe then) they make you choose tickets for either rehearsals or live taping. Sounded like a non-issue as you had a connection to get in.. perhaps just for the rehearsal?? What a great experience and also great. like you said, that the rehearsal footage became available. Wow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-17 18:56 by MisterDDDD.

Date: March 17, 2018 19:04

MisterDDDD
Great story, deardoctortake1 !

Was interested in whether you were able to stay for the live show taping, as nowadays (and maybe then) they make you choose tickets for either rehearsals or live taping. Sounded like a non-issue as you had a connection to get in.. perhaps just for the rehearsal?? What a great experience and also great. like you said, that the rehearsal footage became available. Wow.[/quote

Sadly Mrdddd, my sister couldn’t get her channel 4 tickets for the show. But she was able to get and attended many SNL shows from the first show in 1975 through about 2000.

I was fortunate enough to attend many SNLs, including Keith in 88 plus a similar rehearsal story for keith, and Jerry Hall with mick rehearsal show . But not the stones in 78, too tough of a ticket. I was devestated about Micks voice for the live show. It was great the day before .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-17 19:06 by deardoctortake1.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: March 17, 2018 21:43

They played Mixed Emotions and Sad Sad Sad at Toad's Place in 1989 before Steel Wheels was released or being played on the radio. Thought ME sounded like Take it So Hard. I got into that show by claiming to be Tommy Mottola, head of Columbia Records at the time.

Long story here, as long as we are sharing our Stones adventures.

[www.loveyouliverollingstones.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 17, 2018 21:56

Great story, HouseBoyKnows!

"If there is a Rock ‘n Roll God, he was smiling on me now. I had worshipped and sacrificed at the altar since I was 10 years old and first heard “Not Fade Away” on my tiny transistor radio"

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: March 17, 2018 22:01

I doubt it and wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do anything off of Blue And Lonesome this time around.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 17, 2018 23:44

Monsoon Ragoon
The problem is that the new songs do not have the quality of Dead Flowers, Brown Sugar, Loving Cup etc. - since decades. Just watched the 1st O2 2012 show on DVD - the two new songs are the weakest of the show, by far. The only other track that isn't very old, Out Of Control, is the 3rd weakest.

That’s what happens when you don’t groom your audience to new stuff. It’s a shame really. They have lots of great songs from 1983 onwards. At least they could’ve rotated Undercover, She Was Hot, One Hit, Sad Sad Sad, Mixed Emotions, Always Hear You Sigh, Love Is Strong, The Worst, I Go Wild, Out Of Control, Flip The Switch, Rough Justice, Back Of My Hand, Streets Of Love and others - In and out of the shows all the time. They didn’t do that. Instead they’ve kept the show the same, and don’t get me wrong - It’s still great songs I’ll never tire of..... And the old catalogue songs they’re doing are cool. But it’d have been even better to have accustomed the audience to new stuff.

Personally I think they just shouldn’t give a shit and do as many of them as they want.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 18, 2018 00:33

Well it would be wonderful if they did play a new tune from the expected album.
My guess is probably No though...unless the album is finished with a release date. Also I think the Stones underestimate their audience’s acceptance to hearing new or rarely performed songs - it’s not like the live show will be
any less spectacular if there are a couple songs which are not known by every
audience member. Maybe the band is just concerned with loosing the show’s
momentum though?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 18, 2018 01:19

Schillid uploaded the SNL rehearsals including "Summer Romance" on Youtube ages ago. As far as I know they're still up there.

As for will we hear a new song, I suspect not. I'd settle for "Pass the Wine" and "Plundered My Soul" alternating with "When You're Gone" and "Do You Think I Really Care."

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: March 18, 2018 01:57

Bridges to Babylon tracks performed in Chicago and Columbus before LP was released and were Very jamming and groovy. ASMB was already out as single but not the others.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1498
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home