Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New Stones DVD
Posted by: thunderball ()
Date: September 22, 2005 23:10

Re: New Stones DVD
Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 22, 2005 23:52

Looks interesting! Thanks for the post!

Ross

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 23, 2005 23:19

I wonder what the footage is from. I find it interesting that they use a picture of Jagger from the 1976 tour but the DVD looks like it pre 1970.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 23, 2005 23:21

If I'm not mistaking, the footage is from 1969, from the concert where they recorded Get Yer Ya Ya's Out!.
Think it'll turn up in the shops or will it just be available on the internet?

Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: September 23, 2005 23:37

I'm surprised by the low price.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: September 24, 2005 04:26

I hope they show the songs live all of them and not just some documnetary with music in teh background, but thats what it looks like. Good idea though bring out some vaults when they are hot.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: September 24, 2005 04:41

Doesn't ABKCO own the rights to the "Gimme Shelter" footage, as well as to other pre-1970 archival footage?

Hate to say it, but I'm guessing the 1969 performances are "Gimme Shelter" clips and then the other tunes are from other Klein-owned things. The packaging doesn't look up to Jagger/Watts standards and the promotion thus far hasn't been the usual Stones carpet-bombing...

I hope I'm wrong about all this, but even if the performances are familiar, perhaps there's worthwhile commentary that will shed new light on "Ya Ya's."

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 24, 2005 07:39

Can somebody explain to me how this is possible? Is there some material from 1969 for which the copyright is not owned by the Stones themselves? This package is a bit like this Granada television "Stones in the park" DVD. That's also not an official release. But how can they release it? The songs played are copyrighted by the stones, so how can this be legal?

Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: September 24, 2005 07:42

maybe the Stones have sold the rights ?

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 24, 2005 09:12

"This package is a bit like this Granada television "Stones in the park" DVD. That's also not an official release"

The Stones In The Park is official, Granada owns the rights to that film.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 24, 2005 09:29

Vilhelm,

Yes it's not a boot, but I does that mean that Jagger agreed to have the film released? I can hardly imagine that because the DVD is great as for content, but bad as for production. Some of the songs are not complete, it's even different from a release that was shown on television in the 80's in holland. When I bought it I was very disappointed because of the cuts in the songs. Seems to me that Jagger would never authorize such a release.
Compare it to the Hendrix sessions that he recorded with some other bloke ( forgot the name ) and that have been polluting the record shops for as long as I can remember. Each time they appear with different covers, and it's mostly the same material. Hendrix was very unhappy with these releases, but that being said, they are not boots.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 24, 2005 09:40

I think the Stones signed away the rights for this one at the time. Having a gig broadcast on TV at that time must have been extremely good publicity for a band that had been away from the concertcircuit.

Unfortunately for the Stones, I don´t think anyone at that time could forsee the VCR being in every mans home some 8-10 years later. So Granada was probably free to do what ever they wanted with the material.I think the same goes for Gimme Shelter, wich is not very flattering to the Stones.
I remember Stones In The Park as being one of the absolutely first, if not the first being available to the general public back in the early 80:s.
I agree with the disappointment because the songs are cut, but if I think about it, it´s not done as a concertmovie really, more like a documentary of a happening.

All this has me remembering the early days of the 80:s, when Stones on video was only available by sending money to some guy, and hoping he did´nt screw you. I still have some VHS tapes from Holland with CS Blues etc. Those were the days! smiling smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-24 09:46 by mickijaggeroo.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 24, 2005 11:39

>> Doesn't ABKCO own the rights to the "Gimme Shelter" footage, as well as to other pre-1970 archival footage? <<

apparently it's not ABKCO who owns the rights to the Gimme Shelter footage - it's the Maysles brothers; some people say the Stones are also part-owners of it, but i don't know if those are people who know what they're talking about. (a fairly big deal was made of this a few months ago when some detective was trying to re-open the Altamont case.) ABKCO does of course own the rights to the MJ/KR songs in the footage, but that's a different question.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: September 24, 2005 13:53

Probably licensed footage from Hyde Park and Gimme Shelter. possibly Ed Sullivan. This is not official in that it is not endorsed by the band so it'll probably be crap.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 24, 2005 14:26

yeah, a bunch of the tracks listed haven't got anything to do with the 69 tour - they must be promo videos and/or Ed Sullivan and/or something of that ilk. if anyone orders it anyway (or rents it from amazon.co.uk - they have a rental deal now) i hope you'll let us know what it is, please and thank you!

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 24, 2005 23:01

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >> Doesn't ABKCO own the rights to the
> "Gimme Shelter" footage, as well as to other
> pre-1970 archival footage? <<
>
> apparently it's not ABKCO who owns the rights to
> the Gimme Shelter footage - it's the Maysles
> brothers;
>
>
>
> "Music, to me, is the joy, right?"
> - Keith
>
> - january 1970 (from Gimme Shelter,
> courtesy BrownEyedGirll)

speaking of the maysles brothers...a friend of mine saw gimme shelter a few years back at the ucla film theatre...with the living maysles brother as a special speaker...he said he still has all of the footage he shot of the stones in '69...reels and reels of it...mouth watering stuff indeed...best to all

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home