Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Is Slave the perfect Stones song
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: March 17, 2018 01:21

Summer + cold beer + Slave= GOOD TIMES!

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: March 17, 2018 01:26

I agree! Best song of the best album!!!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 17, 2018 02:08

Just for clarification, I'm not saying Slave is the best Stones song ever, but that it fits into a classification as an all around perfect Stones creation. All the instruments, arrangements, vocals, mixes, and sound all come together in a seamless layer of brilliance. It works from beginning to end.

I would also put SFTD and YCAGWYW into that category.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 17, 2018 02:27

You have to listen to the original basic track from 1975 to get the greatness of Slave. Maybe one day we'll get a "Complete Black and Blue Sessions" box set...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 17, 2018 03:24

btw....tip of the tongue documentary is not too shabby...especially if you watch "worried about you" segment...the way they all come together for that is awesome...spine tingling....

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 17, 2018 03:25

At any rate we know the current configuration and situation ain't gonna play it. It would have to be a relaxed club gig to give it what it needs. It's similar to Dancing With Mr. D in that it's kind of stiff on record, but might be great, like Dancing, being worked out live on the Europe '73 tour. That whole first side of Tattoo (Excerpting Start Me Up) didn't thrill me at the time. It wasn't until I heard Black Limousine on the Hampton DVD that I liked it. As it is it just seems like a jam that goes nowhere, like Feel On Baby on Undercover.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 17, 2018 03:31

kowalski
You have to listen to the original basic track from 1975 to get the greatness of Slave. Maybe one day we'll get a "Complete Black and Blue Sessions" box set...

I get what you're saying kowalski, but you really don't have to go to that length to 'get the greatness', although it might be a good idea for some who don't get it.
When it was released on Tattoo You, I had no idea of any former version, but knew immediately of the greatness - it was one of those tunes that the instant you drop the needle, the vibes of greatness were overwhelming.
Is it as great as Gimme Shelter, Sympathy, JF, etc., etc., etc.? Hell no! But coming after Emotional Rescue (especially the title track), Slave was oozing with greatness with it's raunchy Stonesy vibe - how anyone cannot like it or hear the greatness in it makes me question their sanity!

As for a "Complete Black and Blue Sessions" box set...yes please I'd like a copy. thumbs up

Date: March 17, 2018 05:27

Well maybe the full length version from the 1994 reissue is enough. Original release had an edited version.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 17, 2018 15:34

Considering how long the master recording is, over 11 minutes, it was heavily edited for the original release. The reissue is a longer version with slightly less editing. It's very likely there were several edit versions.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 17, 2018 16:04

‘As for a "Complete Black and Blue Sessions" box set...’

Do it, do it, do it, do it, do itttttt

Date: March 17, 2018 18:59

kowalski
Well maybe the full length version from the 1994 reissue is enough. Original release had an edited version.

Not the full length.

There is a 10 minutes version out there, also one with Ronnie's guitar track.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 18, 2018 04:45

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 18, 2018 06:10

That was the original title >grinning smiley<

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 18, 2018 21:52

The Production is excellent. When I first heard it I thought it was a live track. Pretty impressive considering it was recorded and mixed over a period of 6 years.

Posted by: stonerolling ()
Date: March 19, 2018 00:16

Love this track. Has that sloppy groovy vibe that only the Stones can bring

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 19, 2018 00:53

"Steal something of the shelves"?

Date: March 19, 2018 13:03

Rockman

Wow. I'm sure there must be really excellent Box sets for every chapter in Stones' history. A Box set with Superb audio, pertaining interviews, a video disc, EXTENSIVE Liner notes and artwork.
Something like Vigotone did for the Voodoo sets. If one digs a little on Ian's site, you find an ongoing chart that lays something similar like that out.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: March 19, 2018 15:24

The answer to the question (Is "Slave" the perfect Stones song?) is.........No!

Date: March 19, 2018 15:51

It's a tough one to play. We had a stab at it with the IORR Band, but haven't really finished it. It will be better with some sax, keyboards and more vocals, I guess..

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 19, 2018 16:00

"Monkey Man" would be my nomination.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 19, 2018 16:44

"Hey RollingFreak you'd be a cool cat to go to the knock-shop with ...
You'd always pick the other chick ..... hhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN"
..and the Winner for comment of the century goes to the one and only....
Rockman in the sacred year of 2018!

Bless!

smileys with beer

Date: March 19, 2018 17:46

DandelionPowderman
kowalski

Not the full length.

There is a 10 minutes version out there, also one with Ronnie's guitar track.

I know. That's the one I was talking about a couple of messages above... Maybe the version from the 1994 CD should be called "Full length edited version" or something...

Date: March 19, 2018 18:50

Kingbeebuzz
The answer to the question (Is "Slave" the perfect Stones song?) is.........No!

Please elaborate on your reasoning.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 19, 2018 21:44

There's so many great songs...Very hard to choose one perfect one! Having said that, Slave is indeed awesome in many ways. Lately, I've been trying to decide if there's any ONE song that has everything that makes the Stones great encapsulated in one shot when performed live. For me it used to be JJF but lately it lacks a certain punch and aggression I haven't really heard since 1981-2. My current choice - All Down The Line; it's got that pumping beat, sharp chord attacks from Keith, gnarly slide, exuberant vocals...Tomorrow my choice may change! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: March 19, 2018 22:40

My perfect Stones song goes without saying

JUMP ON TOP OF ME BABY!

Has it all

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 19, 2018 22:43

jumpontopofmebaby
My perfect Stones song goes without saying

JUMP ON TOP OF ME BABY!

Has it all

thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 19, 2018 23:14

Perfect Stones tunes? Too many really, but to narrow it down to a few from my personal perspective:

Midnight Rambler - whether it's the studio version, w/Mick Taylor live, or w/Ronnie live - doesn't matter, it's always a thrill ride.
Gimme Shelter - my absolute #1 favorite/perfect Stones tune of all time is the studio version - always has been, and probably always will be.
Various live versions throughout the years are nice as well, but the studio version is untouchable imo - everything about it from start to finish is great
Also, the studio version of Happy is as close to perfect as can be, and is usually in my top five favorite Stones tunes depending on which day I make a list.

As for Slave? In the context of Tattoo You/1981 (and post Emotional Rescue), it is a perfect tune - especially when compared to everything that came after it.
Comparing it to the big boys though (Rambler, Shelter, Happy, JJF, SFM, etc.) is a bit difficult as it really doen't carry that much weight imo, but I'd still consider it a great tune (though far from perfect).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-19 23:16 by Hairball.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 20, 2018 01:01

So many perfect songs from the Stones.....thumbs up. Are there any more in our future???

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 20, 2018 03:23

I do like both official versions very much.
Always great when it blasts through the speakers.

Slave is heavyweight class...

Date: March 20, 2018 06:18

Rockman

Is this available on the music page for listen? Has anyone posted it?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1753
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home