Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
ticket sales 2018
Posted by: engerling23 ()
Date: March 14, 2018 09:30

Do you also have the feeling that the ticket sales are weak for this tour?

Re: ticket sales 2018
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 14, 2018 10:23

Not at all

Posted by: harald2002 ()
Date: March 14, 2018 10:56

engerling23
Do you also have the feeling that the ticket sales are weak for this tour?

Yes!

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: March 14, 2018 11:34

People's views of whether sales are strong and weak reflects their prejudices/assumptions from before the process started. We have no meaningful data to draw conclusions from.

Also, remember from a promoter's point of view, selling out quickly is bad: selling out on the day of the show, with the highest prices the market can stand, is their best result.

syrel

Posted by: Finnstone ()
Date: March 14, 2018 11:45

Been wondering if the promoter has been wishing the Stones would drop big hints like 'this could be the last time' rather than they'll just keep rolling until they drop. A 'last' tour would sell massively a la Elton John. At least the Stones are honest about it.

Posted by: stereomanic ()
Date: March 14, 2018 12:22

syrel
People's views of whether sales are strong and weak reflects their prejudices/assumptions from before the process started. We have no meaningful data to draw conclusions from.

Also, remember from a promoter's point of view, selling out quickly is bad: selling out on the day of the show, with the highest prices the market can stand, is their best result.

syrel

This is very true.

Im wondering also if they can adjust the golden circle/general admission ratio as time goes on too. If GC doesnt sell out they could make that area smaller and open up more GA.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 14, 2018 12:26

syrel

syrel

I can draw on my own experiences and I have never had as much time to select exactly where I want to sit. This time round I wanted a pit ticket, golden circle and I got them. And I went back to check later on the same day to see if there were further purchase options and there were.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: March 14, 2018 14:36

If ticket sales are bad why have they added two more shows?

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 14, 2018 14:55

If the Gold circle does not sell out ,they will fill it up with General admission

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 14, 2018 15:17

stargroover
If the Gold circle does not sell out ,they will fill it up with General admission

I think they'll make it smaller, and put all/most of the Lucky Dippers in there thumbs up.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 14, 2018 15:29

Ticketbastard is still playing its tricks. It's now selling tickets for Coventry and Southampton but only at the inflated platinum price.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 14, 2018 15:43

Going from experience, iv'e seen this band a dozen times since 1990 and its always been a packed house.
Until something better comes along (which it won't) they will keep selling out. ( Pardon the pun )spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: March 14, 2018 15:52

It is very difficult to assess ticket sales these days. In the past they put them all up for sale on Day 1 - maybe a few were withheld or some added when the equipment positioning was clear.

Today its like selling airplane tickets. Create demand and excitement, but vary the pricing to match sales in the months before the gig. Phased releases still usually fills stadiums, but the total ticket take is higher.

The promoters hate the secondary market sellers (viagogo and the others) because they disturb their own selling plan - and take more of the money punters (us) will pay.

The Stones promoter (AEG) came up with the "lucky dip" concept and use "fan sales" to both create excitement and help real fans who will take a risk. But I guess they also realise that some people will pay for "premium" packages to get great seats and an experience at the last minute.

Posted by: belld ()
Date: March 14, 2018 15:59

Methinks the citizens of the UK fell out of love with the Stones years ago. They are significantly less appreciated and marginalised compared with their reputation in most European countries.

Date: March 14, 2018 16:10

Silver Dagger
syrel

syrel

I can draw on my own experiences and I have never had as much time to select exactly where I want to sit. This time round I wanted a pit ticket, golden circle and I got them. And I went back to check later on the same day to see if there were further purchase options and there were.

I would agree with that, but I think a couple of things are in play here: 1) Why have the pit tickets been hidden on a completely different site to the normal ticket sales? Most people - including many people on this site - simply haven't found them. So that is one reason why it has been easier to get pit tickets; 2) the 'presale' wasn't really a presale, it seemed to be just an early release of normal inventory. I still haven't worked out why, but normally presale tickets are quite restricted which makes it feel more manic; 3) prices - it's possible they are a bit overpriced (I mean that strategically not morally!) but, as I said in my initial comment, we can't judge whether they have got the pricing wrong until the end of the process.

syrel

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: March 14, 2018 16:40

I'm across the pond from you guys, but after all the years of going to shows, as soon as the weather warms up, and people realize what they have in front of them, "The Stones", sure there will be a rush closer to the dates...

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 14, 2018 16:55

stereomanic
syrel

syrel

This is very true.

Im wondering also if they can adjust the golden circle/general admission ratio as time goes on too. If GC doesnt sell out they could make that area smaller and open up more GA.

As a simple GA purchaser at 3 shows this is exactly what I hope for!

Posted by: kevos ()
Date: March 14, 2018 17:02

thecitadel

The promoters hate the secondary market sellers (viagogo and the others) because they disturb their own selling plan - and take more of the money punters (us) will pay.

The promoters far from hate them. 1. Getmein and Seatwave are owned by Live Nation - The biggest promoter in the business. 2. They also sell their tickets on Viagogo and Stubhub and split the profits. Other promoters do the same.

Individual scalpers account for a small percentage of secondary sales. And some of those individuals work or know people who work at ticket companies and get early access to the best seats.

You constantly hear the likes of Ticketmaster going on about bots and ticket sweeping and although it does happen its largely a smokescreen to deflect the attention from themselves.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: March 15, 2018 10:35

"Methinks the citizens of the UK fell out of love with the Stones years ago. They are significantly less appreciated and marginalised compared with their reputation in most European countries".

Belld, I wonder which indications your conclusion is based on. Last Stones album, "Blue and Lonesome", has been a hugest commercial success in the UK. Their last London gigs were successful too.

By the current ticket prices, sales couldn’t not be fast, as they were in the past. Many, many people do know the… modern ticket sales “game”, so they are probably waiting for some reduced prices. In addition the Stones are going to do not two, not three but 8 gigs in the UK, so the demand is divided, as fans have more choices and possibilities to select venues and get better prices.

And, I suppose that, as Harlem Suffler says, if the sales were poor, they would not add new gigs, as they did…

Last year we heard comments and “estimates” about “poorest” sales for Spielberg. But finally the Stones played in front of 95,000 people there…

Date: March 15, 2018 10:47

I am sure there are at least 2 tickets sold for the Edinburgh show. If no one else is going I don't mind.

Date: March 15, 2018 10:49

It has certainly been the case that the Stones are less celebrated in the UK than they are in Germany, Holland or the US, for example. The relationship in the UK has been one of ambivalence since the 1970s. But at the same time, I also think that the older the band gets, the less frosty that relationship is.

Commercially successful albums don't count for anything these days; the fact that bands like The Stones get number one albums implies that they have an audience that still buys albums.I don't have time to check, but I would imagine that B&L still sold less than Dirty Work.

syrel

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: March 15, 2018 13:17

"I don't have time to check, but I would imagine that B&L still sold less than Dirty Work".

I don't have time to check too, but even if "B&L" has sold, let's say, 10% lesser than DW, that does mean "B&L" is much, much more successful, considering the current level of album sales. If I remember correctly, georgelicks wrote that "B&L" is one of the 3,4 or 5 best selling albums in the entire Stones history, in the UK.

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: March 15, 2018 13:22

So I’ve just bought 2 lots of Lucky Dip tickets for Southampton. Basically for my Dad and myself and a friend + one. Does anyone know how anal they are over Lucky Dips I bought them as 2 separate purchases but on my card. We’re fine with being split up, but does anyone think I’ll experience any problems when collecting my tickets?

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: March 15, 2018 13:34

INteresting thread. As others have said we haven't got any actual data but -

- The cheap seats and GA seem to have sold v well
- the 180 quid seats look to be shifting but a bit slower (NB, these are about what U2, Jaz Z/Beyonce, Taylor Swift, etc charge so not out of line with the market)
- Enough hard core fans to buy the pit tickets
- it's the GC that look a bit over prices/slow moving....seems sensible a promoter may sell more £90 GA tickets nearer the time and change the configuration (smaller GC) or stuff a few lucky dippers in there

Perhaps less 'panic' buying but would bet they'll all be pretty much full come May/June

Posted by: belld ()
Date: March 15, 2018 14:39

laertisflash
"Methinks the citizens of the UK fell out of love with the Stones years ago. They are significantly less appreciated and marginalised compared with their reputation in most European countries".

Belld, I wonder which indications your conclusion is based on. Last Stones album, "Blue and Lonesome", has been a hugest commercial success in the UK. Their last London gigs were successful too.

By the current ticket prices, sales couldn’t not be fast, as they were in the past. Many, many people do know the… modern ticket sales “game”, so they are probably waiting for some reduced prices. In addition the Stones are going to do not two, not three but 8 gigs in the UK, so the demand is divided, as fans have more choices and possibilities to select venues and get better prices.

And, I suppose that, as Harlem Suffler says, if the sales were poor, they would not add new gigs, as they did…

Last year we heard comments and “estimates” about “poorest” sales for Spielberg. But finally the Stones played in front of 95,000 people there…
My comments are totally subjective.They are based solely on observing and digesting the output of numerous media outlets and talking to people for decades. I have not missed a Euro tour since 73 and will be very happy to see full stadia, a raucous but appreciative audience covering several generations. Kind of what we have relished thru the years in Scotland.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-15 15:03 by belld.

Date: March 15, 2018 14:41

laertisflash
"I don't have time to check, but I would imagine that B&L still sold less than Dirty Work".

I don't have time to check too, but even if "B&L" has sold, let's say, 10% lesser than DW, that does mean "B&L" is much, much more successful, considering the current level of album sales. If I remember correctly, georgelicks wrote that "B&L" is one of the 3,4 or 5 best selling albums in the entire Stones history, in the UK.

Your point about popularity relative to the 1980s and 2010s is right - but my comment was also that its relative success demonstrates popularity within a certain segment of the population: those oldies that still buy physical records.

[www.officialcharts.com]

That site suggests 106,000 sales of B&L in the UK in the first week, which is pretty strong, but would want to see cumulative figures as there is now a very big drop off after first week sales for albums.

Dirty Work was certified gold, so at least 100,000 sales cumulatively.

But while searching quickly I found this....
[chartmasters.org]

Which looks really interesting but no time to dive in now.

(On the issue of the thread, even if we say B&L was massively successful with 150,000 sales, there are almost 500,000 tickets available on the Uk tour).

best

syrel

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 15, 2018 15:06

B&L has sold 337,000 copies in the UK so far, certified Platinum, their best selling studio album in the UK since Tattoo You.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 15, 2018 15:10

syrel
Silver Dagger
syrel

syrel

I would agree with that, but I think a couple of things are in play here: 1) Why have the pit tickets been hidden on a completely different site to the normal ticket sales? Most people - including many people on this site - simply haven't found them. So that is one reason why it has been easier to get pit tickets; 2) the 'presale' wasn't really a presale, it seemed to be just an early release of normal inventory. I still haven't worked out why, but normally presale tickets are quite restricted which makes it feel more manic; 3) prices - it's possible they are a bit overpriced (I mean that strategically not morally!) but, as I said in my initial comment, we can't judge whether they have got the pricing wrong until the end of the process.

syrel

Are the tickets prices high? I've not seen regular show tickets sold for £30 (Lucky Dip) since, ooh, 1990-96. (The Brixton and Shepherd's Bush Empire tickets were pretty cheap but they were one-offs).
Best tickets for the 02 50th anniversary shows were £420 which is more or less what I've paid for a Pit ticket 6 years later.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 15, 2018 15:15

georgelicks
B&L has sold 337,000 copies in the UK so far, certified Platinum, their best selling studio album in the UK since Tattoo You.

That's a phenomenal return for what was only 3 days' work!

Date: March 15, 2018 15:26

georgelicks

Do you have a source for that? (not that I don't believe you, it's just I keep records of stuff like this, so it would be useful to have source).

syrel

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1198
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home