Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT : R.I.P Stephen Hawking
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 15, 2018 19:33

buttons67
hawking was a very clever man indeed, but i just didnt agree with everything he said.

there are 3 types of people in this world

1. those that agree with everything they are told without any thought to asking if what they are being told is correct.

2. those that question everything, even when the obvious is true.

3. those that look at everything objectively, ask questions about things they dont understand but look to gain their own understanding.

i think with hawking a lot of people fell into catagory 1, as many people believed everything he said, i never understood his assumption of hawking radiation that comes from a black hole and have even questioned if black holes exist, the question of anti matter and dark matter is not easy to believe too.

also einstiens theory of relativity e=mc2 i dont get either, it contradicts newtons laws of basic physics.

another theory astronomers come up with is time and space bending each other, what rubbish.

You must be a type 2 person smoking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 15, 2018 21:00

"I don't get this"... Well, theoretical physics isn't for everyone. And you're not alone. Probably 99,5 percent of the public don't get it. That doesn't mean that it's not true though. Or false of course.
But I would rather listen to a science professor than a politician when it comes to deciding what's true or not. A third of the American population don't get Darwin either. They prefer a theory (!) called intelligent design. And so on...

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 15, 2018 21:49

Stoneage
"I don't get this"... Well, theoretical physics isn't for everyone. And you're not alone. Probably 99,5 percent of the public don't get it. That doesn't mean that it's not true though. Or false of course.
But I would rather listen to a science professor than a politician when it comes to deciding what's true or not. A third of the American population don't get Darwin either. They prefer a theory (!) called intelligent design. And so on...

I suppose it's all a leap of faith really Stoneage, at the end of the day we gather all the facts and make our own minds up as individuals.
Obviously people like Hawking are more equipped than most to say God exists or black holes exist etc.

There was a lovely old Irish comedian ( Dave Allen ) who was very popular when i grew up and at the end of his show he would always say " goodnight god bless and may YOUR God go with you".
That sums it up really, no matter what anyone believes in , if it makes them happy, that's ok , because at the end of the day it's all speculation. Darwin, God, Aliens, spiritualism, conspiracy, religion, its all Theory.

BTW Stoneage i agree with you, i would never listen to a politician, how do you know when a politician is lying, when he opens his mouth. grinning smiley

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 15, 2018 22:04

I don´t get it, physics is not a conspiracy, it makes work your phone, computer ...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 15, 2018 22:48

I hear you, stone4ever. I might point out, however, that I make a difference between science and religion. Science is evidence based and religion is not. Religion is about faith. I would never compare the two.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 15, 2018 22:50

Stoneage
I hear you, stone4ever. I might point out, however, that I make a difference between science and religion. Science is evidence based and religion is not. Religion is about faith. I would never compare the two.

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 15, 2018 22:58

File this under one of those "social media posts that go bacterial":

Famed physicist Stephen Hawking died Tuesday at the age of 76, and before he departed this world, he left us with warnings that Earth is headed for a “catastrophic ending” in the near future.

This doom will not come from a fiery asteroid or even global warming, but from rising inequality fueled by increasingly smart robots, Hawking said.

Intelligent future AI will probably develop a drive to survive and acquire more resources as a step toward accomplishing whatever goal it has, because surviving and having more resources will increase its chances of accomplishing that other goal,” he said in a Reddit Ask Me Anything forum in 2015. “This can cause problems for humans whose resources get taken away.” His solution? We should all leave the planet and find new lives in outer space.

Story from: [www.marketwatch.com]

Some genius -- in the end he was merely reading from the Stephen King play book: "Honey, c'mere. This machine just called me an @#$%&!"

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: March 15, 2018 22:58

schillid
There are 10 types of people...
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

i see what you did there

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2005
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home