Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT - Songs that never should have been written in the FIRST place....
Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: March 14, 2018 14:38

Leonioid
Harlem Shuffler
All rap.
Always here to help.

Harlem Shuffler at your service.

I would agree with this, but it is technically incorrect, as rap is not actually songs, or even music... and it is not actually "written"... the raps is spittted out as someone shouts over the sound of an existing song, destroying the original, making it no longer a song... as it just becomes noise... kind of like car crushing at the salvage yard.

But if the question was "what noise should never be created?"... your answer is perfect. smileys with beer

Happy to be corrected!smiling smiley

Date: March 14, 2018 14:41

matxil
Everything by Bjeurk and Radiohead

eye popping smiley

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: March 14, 2018 15:01

Jah Paul
Seasons in the Sun (Terry Jacks)

Jacks didn't write it, but he should have never recorded it!

A travesty. The original by Jacques Brel is awesome, much darker.

[www.youtube.com]

My own most loathed song is that dirge by Gilbert O'Sullivan where he's going to top himself. Just hurry up and do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-14 15:02 by nobodyimportant.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 14, 2018 15:20

DandelionPowderman
matxil

eye popping smiley

When I hear Radiohead I have to walk out of the room.
When I hear Bjeurk, I don't mind the music, but when she starts singing, I have to walk out of the room.

Date: March 14, 2018 15:27

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil

eye popping smiley

When I hear Bjeurk, I don't mind the music, but when she starts singing, I have to walk out of the room.

But Radiohead (I'm not a big fan, btw) have done so many music styles and so many different-sounding songs... It would be a bit like saying you don't like the Stones because of Cherry Oh Baby, wouldn't it?

Bjørk is Bjørk. I get that she's not for everyone smiling smiley I enjoy some of her stuff, though..

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-14 15:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 14, 2018 16:18

LeonidP
Jah Paul

Really? I love that tune.

Here are some candidates:

Eddie Murphy/Rick James - Party All The Time
Jermaine Stewart - We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off
Joe Jackson - Is She Really Going Out with Him
Billy Joel - Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
Hall & Oates - Private Eyes

You're joking, that's his best song!>grinning smiley<

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 14, 2018 16:41

tomk
DaveG
The Pina Colada Song

Precious and Few by Climax - sounds like a TV ad

I have a guilty pleasure/soft spot for Escape (the Pina Colada Song) with a Stones twist. I had just bought a MXR Phase 100 around that time, 'cause of Some Girls and the '78 tour, Shattered and and all that stuff. I was driving with a friend of mine and that song came on the radio and he said, "Have you heard this song? It's really stupid," etc. But the only thing I zeroed in on was the guitar with the phase on it, as I had just bought one. So it's been a guilty pleasure of mine ever since.

When I first heard this song, I thought it was Steely Dan. I couldn’t believe they would have written such nonsense.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 14, 2018 16:46

nobodyimportant
Jah Paul

Jacks didn't write it, but he should have never recorded it!

A travesty. The original by Jacques Brel is awesome, much darker.

[www.youtube.com]

My own most loathed song is that dirge by Gilbert O'Sullivan where he's going to top himself. Just hurry up and do it.

Yes, Alone Again Naturally is one of the worst songs this side of Henry The 8th.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: March 14, 2018 16:56

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil

eye popping smiley

But Radiohead (I'm not a big fan, btw) have done so many music styles and so many different-sounding songs... It would be a bit like saying you don't like the Stones because of Cherry Oh Baby, wouldn't it?

Bjørk is Bjørk. I get that she's not for everyone smiling smiley I enjoy some of her stuff, though..

Yes, you're right they tried many music styles (as far as I know, thankfully they stayed away from the blues, unlike bloody U2), but I guess again it's mainly because of the singer. That whining, pretentious, pedantic thing he does.

Date: March 14, 2018 17:02

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil

eye popping smiley

Yes, you're right they tried many music styles (as far as I know, thankfully they stayed away from the blues, unlike bloody U2), but I guess again it's mainly because of the singer. That whining, pretentious, pedantic thing he does.

I hear the whining, too smiling smiley However, I have to acknowledge good music when I hear it, and some of Radiohead's songs are really good, imo.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: March 14, 2018 18:11

MisterDDDD
Ben.

Or any song about a rat.
Or Muskrat.

I disagree, this song about rats is wonderful :

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 14, 2018 18:21

All kidding aside...

'Centerfold' was released by The J. Geils Band in 1981 as a single off of the Freeze Frame album and went straight up to #1 in the USA. Stayed there for six weeks. Freeze Frame, the album, went to #1 as well.

It was a massive hit for the rock n' roll band written by keyboardist Seth Justman. (notice it was NOT written by Wolf/Justman)

The success of this song ultimately destroyed America's greatest LIVE band.

A proven song-writing team had been irreparably fractured and the band soon broke up, ending a decade of road domination.

I, personally, wish it had never been written.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 14, 2018 18:22

All the tracks on She's The Boss and Primitive Cool grinning smiley

Date: March 14, 2018 18:27

Kurt
All kidding aside...

'Centerfold' was released by The J. Geils Band in 1981 as a single off of the Freeze Frame album and went straight up to #1 in the USA. Stayed there for six weeks. Freeze Frame, the album, went to #1 as well.

It was a massive hit for the rock n' roll band written by keyboardist Seth Justman. (notice it was NOT written by Wolf/Justman)

The success of this song ultimately destroyed America's greatest LIVE band.

A proven song-writing team had been irreparably fractured and the band soon broke up, ending a decade of road domination.

I, personally, wish it had never been written.

Good point, I liked the band much more prior to that album....as I recall when they opened for the Stones in '81 while the album was being released, I don't recall them playing any songs from that album....then a few months later they did a headline tour featuring Freeze Frame....I did not go them

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 14, 2018 18:38

looking for linda by hue and cry is an abortion to music.

heard it played on the jukebox in the pub last week, wonder who would have the courage or stupidity to play it.

how anyone can record trash like that and think people would want to listen to it baffles me.

anyone who likes it should get their ears refunded or a new brain.

also.

most music post 1990.

rap and hip hop.

and much more, too many to mention.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: March 14, 2018 18:41

Harlem Shuffler
Leonioid
Harlem Shuffler
All rap.
Always here to help.

I would agree with this, but it is technically incorrect, as rap is not actually songs, or even music... and it is not actually "written"... the raps is spittted out as someone shouts over the sound of an existing song, destroying the original, making it no longer a song... as it just becomes noise... kind of like car crushing at the salvage yard.

But if the question was "what noise should never be created?"... your answer is perfect. smileys with beer

I suppose this only shows that I have been old and out of it far longer than I am willing to admit, but way back in the early 80s when I first became aware of it, I honestly thought that rap was just a fad. Rap songs seemed like novelty tunes to me, and I assumed that a form with such limited creative potential would fade away in a few months or a year. Joke's on me, I guess.

Date: March 14, 2018 18:48

resotele
MisterDDDD
Ben.

Or any song about a rat.
Or Muskrat.

[www.youtube.com]

This one isn't so bad either [www.youtube.com]

Date: March 14, 2018 18:51

blivet
Harlem Shuffler
Leonioid
Harlem Shuffler
All rap.
Always here to help.

I suppose this only shows that I have been old and out of it far longer than I am willing to admit, but way back in the early 80s when I first became aware of it, I honestly thought that rap was just a fad. Rap songs seemed like novelty tunes to me, and I assumed that a form with such limited creative potential would fade away in a few months or a year. Joke's on me, I guess.

Rap music didn't come out of the blue. It has its roots in jazz, even some blues is half spoken, based on rhythm rather than melody, ska, reggae, they all did it one way or another: DJs presenting songs and sort of talking/ad-libbing on top of the music. It only became a musical genre in the 80s and as always, some of it was good and some of it wasn't.

Date: March 14, 2018 19:01

resotele
MisterDDDD
Ben.

Or any song about a rat.
Or Muskrat.

[www.youtube.com]

"Ben" is also a terrible song

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: March 14, 2018 19:23

Mother - the Police

Watching the Clothes Go Round - the Pretenders

OK, we all have our opinions, these are mine

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: March 14, 2018 19:40

BluzDude
Mother - the Police

Indeed. Years ago I made a copy of my "Synchronicity" CD and replaced Mother with Someone To Talk To, a b-side also written and sung by Andy...a good song that fit in nicely.

Date: March 14, 2018 19:50

Jah Paul
BluzDude
Mother - the Police

Indeed. Years ago I made a copy of my "Synchronicity" CD and replaced Mother with Someone To Talk To, a b-side also written and sung by Andy...a good song that fit in nicely.

What's funny about this is, my bass player at the time, thought this was the best song the Police ever recorded, and my drummer, who was heavily influenced by the bass player, decided he agreed with him.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 14, 2018 20:06

Elmo Lewis
resotele
MisterDDDD
Ben.

Or any song about a rat.
Or Muskrat.

[www.youtube.com]

"Ben" is also a terrible song

As with Precious and Few, I liked Ben as a kid listening to top 40 radio.
Didn't like the movie, but I love the original creepy movie Willard from which Ben spawned.

Via wiki:

"Originally written for Donny Osmond, "Ben" was offered to Jackson as Osmond was on tour at the time and unavailable for recording. In addition to its one week at #1 in the U.S., the song also later reached a peak of number seven on the British pop chart. "Ben" won a Golden Globe for Best Song. It was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1973; Jackson performed the song in front of a live audience at the ceremony.
Although Jackson had already become the youngest artist to ever record a number-one ("I Want You Back" with The Jackson 5, in 1970), "Ben" made him the third-youngest solo artist, at fourteen, to score a number-one hit single".

Thank God Donny Osmond wasn't available. smiling smiley

As for Rat songs - always liked Aerosmiths Rats in the Cellar.
And there was a semi-obscure English punk band called Satan's Rats who had several pretty good tunes - including Year of the Rats:
Satan's Rats - Year of the Rats

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-14 20:08 by Hairball.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 14, 2018 20:10

Jah Paul
LeonidP
Jah Paul

Really? I love that tune.

Hated it since the first time I heard it when it came out.

LeonidP
Here are some candidates:

Billy Joel - Scenes from an Italian Restaurant

Seriously?? It's perhaps his best song...imho, of course!

It is Joel's favorite song also.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: March 14, 2018 20:10

blivet
Harlem Shuffler
Leonioid
Harlem Shuffler
All rap.
Always here to help.

I swore when I was kid, and my Grand Pa would roll his eyes in disgust at us hippyass kids cranking up our foot stompin music to 11 and jumping around like a bunch of yabanchees... I swore I would never be like him or have his attitude... I swore I would always be hip and cool when I got old and I would always like the kids sounds that came along.

I can not believe I blew it.
I can not believe they invented these crap raps to make me feel exactly like my Grand Pa did.

All rap is garbage. The only reason I can figure that it sticks around is it is so damned profitable for the fat cats who run the industry. I guess it is more controllable compared to dealing with bands with too many members who want to haul around tons of equipment in 20 semi trucks, while most crap rappers are just one goof who can travel around for pennies. They show up at a gig with all their back beats contained in a small dvevice, they plug the device into the sound system and start shouting over the beat as they crap rap and sell tickets for the same price as if a full band was there.

These rappers can sell out 20,000-40,000 seat halls and make a ton of money.
It is all a mystery to me as to who pays to go see that sht live.

I too thought this simpleton rap crap was a fad and would away like Punk rock and disco did... but I guess it has its segment ... and they love it... and there it is.

back on topic-
Danny yer a fool to cry is another song that never needed to be written or performed.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 14, 2018 20:16

We know where this thread is going. Everyone is now going to say that songs they don't like should not have been written.

There are only a few songs that I don't think should have been written and for good reason. All Dylan songs.

Ballad in Plain D- It attacked someone who did not deserve it and Dylan himself admitted it should not have been written.
Hurricane- Defends a man who murdered 3 people
George Jackson- Glories a murderer.
Joey- Glories a murderer.

Date: March 14, 2018 20:40

How about the awful 80's version of "Baby I Love You Way/Free Bird"?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 14, 2018 21:25

Imagine - John Lennon

It ruined his reputation and the song deviated from an interesting course manifested in the truly great Primal scream album.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: March 14, 2018 22:55

EMOTIONAL RESCUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: March 15, 2018 00:23

Peter Frampton after 1972

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1948
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home